Generic Egoboo revival thread

The development of the game itself or new resources for it. Any new stuff you're working on would go here, as well as the discussion of in-development stuff.

Moderator: Developers

Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Re: Generic Egoboo revival thread

Post by Shade »

@bitnapper/Zefz: Again, is there really a point in porting the game's complete code to a different coding language if we're not gonna do much more with it than fix bugs? I mean, if it's easier than just fixing bugs as is and pf5234 agrees, I guess I'm not one to complain, but I can't really imagine it to be as simple as that.

@Topic: Alright, I'm not completely well yet but it should suffice to continue this.

pf5234, any progress on the inventory or the physics?
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

Shade wrote:@bitnapper/Zefz: Again, is there really a point in porting the game's complete code to a different coding language if we're not gonna do much more with it than fix bugs? I mean, if it's easier than just fixing bugs as is and pf5234 agrees, I guess I'm not one to complain, but I can't really imagine it to be as simple as that.

@Topic: Alright, I'm not completely well yet but it should suffice to continue this.

pf5234, any progress on the inventory or the physics?
C++ is a superset of C, of sorts. (++ is the increment operator in C and lots of other languages)

Nope. Got confused on how waypoints work and hadn't done anything since. :(
Shade

Post by Shade »

Oh, I see. Still, wouldn't changing the game's code to C++ be more complicated than simply fixing what's already there?

D'awww. Don't give up, I know you can do it!

A couple of quick fixes while I'm at it:
- Idols got the same treatment as Zombor's grave did. They shouldn't be much of a problem to destroy now.
- For whatever reason, the special shields in rogue starter being replaced by generic ones apparently was intentional. I left in one or two kite shields and replaced the rest with the gryphon and tree shields, similar to how it used to be.
- The adventurer starter's victory message having the wrong target was probably caused by the script events being handled in a strange order (of course you're gonna have the wrong target if you set it to something different for experience rewards, silly!). I changed the order to something more sensible, so it should now get the correct target for the message. Haven't bothered confirming it yet, though.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

Shade wrote:Oh, I see. Still, wouldn't changing the game's code to C++ be more complicated than simply fixing what's already there?
One would think so, but most of the bugs are caused by C-style memory leaks and incorrect memory accesses. All these things are not an issue in C++. Changing the game code would fix "what's already there". The problem with the current code is if you fix something, something else will break. Always. I know.

C++ can use C code, so one can reuse all existing code and change bit by bit into C++.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Well... It's not like I'm the one working on the code anyway, so pf5234 should decide. If it helps in the long run, I'm willing to wait.

EDIT: Christmas presents aren't properly spawned. D'awwwww.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Christmas presents? :o

What I'd like is for bgbirdsey to weigh in on the matter and to say what he's done in the last 15 months (if anything)
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Wouldn't it be swell if he showed up all of the sudden and had a finished game? Yes it would.

Damn I love fairy tales.
:wink:
Shade

Post by Shade »

penguinflyer5234 wrote:Christmas presents? :o
Santa in Zippy is supposed to give you a present if you bump him at christmas eve, but the present failed to spawn for both my characters. I'm not sure what exactly the problem is; trying to randomize the skin between 4 choices when the present only has 3 skins might be a possible offender, but I don't have very much experience with Egoboo's random parameters.

EDIT: Also, is it possible to remove Quest IDSZ from characters? If it isn't, each character can only get presents from Santa once, even if they visit him during two different years.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Is Santa always in Zippy? If so we should have a script only spawn him at all around Christmas.
Shade

Post by Shade »

I'm not sure; all the scripts concerning Santa and his presents are fairly difficult to understand. Randomness, spawning in items using scripts and quest IDSZ aren't exactly my forte (all of which Santa and the presents use).
We'll just have to check once the game no longer is in "christmas mode".
bitnapper
Tome Mimic (Module Baker)
Tome Mimic (Module Baker)

Post by bitnapper »

Because of the feedback I work further on the editor. The hardest thing to implement is choosing tiles in the 3D-View, because it needs a lot of vector maths. The other things I have to add is a simple collision code and checking the visibility for drawing.
New will be a second directory setting in the configuration. That the module worked on can be kept separated and the global objects can be loaded anyway from the game directory. I'm working on that too. I hope to have done the display of the models in a few days. I still use the 'griffin' module as example :)

I use my own engine for the editor because the one in the game is to hard to include into my code because of the lot dependencies it has. And I want to use pure C. And I like to have a clear modularity of the code using as little header files and functions as possible and and no global variables at all. I have no problems with memory leaks because all memory for the maximum possible slots is allocated at program start. The only exception will be the loader for the MD2-Files.

If I remember correct it is possible to choose multiple tiles to make water or slippery off it. Or not ?

At the moment I write the code for loading character profiles and characters itself. Should be up end of this week.

BTW: If the editor engine is completed to load all kind of data. then theres a small step left to use the editor for playing the game :P
Just add the physics, the menu, the key configuration loader, support for joysticks, sounds and the script-handler :)
Two beer or not two beer... rather a malt whisky
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Shade wrote:I'm not sure; all the scripts concerning Santa and his presents are fairly difficult to understand. Randomness, spawning in items using scripts and quest IDSZ aren't exactly my forte (all of which Santa and the presents use).
We'll just have to check once the game no longer is in "christmas mode".
Christmas mode ends January 1. (moduletool.obj spawns Santa Clause)
Shade

Post by Shade »

penguinflyer5234 wrote:Christmas mode ends January 1. (moduletool.obj spawns Santa Clause)
Oh, alright.
In that case, the script looks correct and Santa should only appear during christmas time.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

bitnapper wrote: BTW: If the editor engine is completed to load all kind of data. then theres a small step left to use the editor for playing the game :P
Just add the physics, the menu, the key configuration loader, support for joysticks, sounds and the script-handler :)
And particle engine. Do you use SDL for rendering?
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

That actually might not be a bad idea considering most of the problems with the current engine stem from messy code...
One could "upgrade" it later to C++ leaving all the C code intact and it would still work, right?