Generic Egoboo revival thread

The development of the game itself or new resources for it. Any new stuff you're working on would go here, as well as the discussion of in-development stuff.

Moderator: Developers

Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Re: Generic Egoboo revival thread

Post by Shade »

Agent of Dread wrote:But triggering the ability to exit and the actual exit are different things, right? So anything with a victory condition shouldn't have any problems.
Yes, but the actual exiting process isn't something I can edit with scripts. That'd be pf5234's job again, then, and there's still the issue of the game recognizing whether you actually have a pet with you that isn't in your inventory.
As I said, a complicated fix for a very trivial issue.

In fact, I'm not sure that's actually a good idea. What if you want to get rid of your pet? For instance, if you picked up the tundra bunny out of curiousity, but would like to fill up your inventory with actual items instead? Currently, you can just drop the tundra bunny, have it follow you around for the remainder of the module, and then leave it behind while exiting with no problems.
If this was changed, you'd be forced to stick with the tundra bunny no matter what.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

We could possibly give the players a warning - a reminder. If they press Esc with no pet in their inventory, it sends a message, and pressing again leaves anyway.
But yes, it's a complicated fix for something trivial.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

I think I'm going to go ahead and make that basic roguelike thing myself, sans the random dungeon generation.
I whipped up a basic menu in 30 minutes, I think I can give it a few hours every weekend and get a pretty good roguelike going on.

It plays the title music from the real game too.
:wink:
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

Shade wrote:
penguinflyer5234 wrote:Bugs fixed in my version:
Chests and tents not dropping items. A bug was preventing them from getting them in the first place. (and no it's not the weight, that's only used for physics)
Oh. Then what was the bug?
inventory_add_item(), when it was passed MAX_INVENTORY, it would look for an empty space, but because bug, it'd never find one.
Shade wrote:[*]Almost all of the game tips displayed when loading a module go off-screen to the left
This doesn't happen in 800x600, but it does happen in larger resolutions. (Same thing for the player icon on the player select screen)

Josiah: too bad there's a bug in the output I've fixed :\ (that error is totally useless)

advent.mod's book is visible again, hooray!

Egoboo 2.9.0.1 Win32
Shade

Post by Shade »

Thanks, that already makes the game leagues more playable.

Just finished the Elf Starter.
- The Exit Area isn't visible to me despite me doing nothing to fix it yet. Did you do something?
- The Exit Area's message if you enter it without the fearies is missing its first half. Should be a trivial fix
- Zombor's grave is too tough for even the mallet to destroy it
- The mouse cursor is just a white square (possibly Windows only?) (known, but wasn't on the list yet)
- Players drop everything upon death, even their inventory items. Bug with the new inventory system, or part of the fix? Can't remember if that happened in the original 2.9.0.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

I remember the dropping everything issue being mentioned a few times, it's a bug.
:wink:
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Shade wrote: - The Exit Area isn't visible to me despite me doing nothing to fix it yet. Did you do something?
I noticed that too, but I don't think I've done anything.

I've confirmed Josiah's error as an camera bug, it's the same error as the OS X/Linux camera bug, but it's not caused by camera input.

Note: nothing has changed on reverting the inventory system.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

Interesting to see things are happening again around here :P I guess it's that yearly Christmas spirit working up again.
Shade

Post by Shade »

penguinflyer5234 wrote:Note: nothing has changed on reverting the inventory system.
Huh? As in, reverting the inventory system didn't work, or just didn't fix anything?

Also, the more bugs I look at, the more I'm convinced that most of these issues are because of the terrible physics - remember the "tile mimics cannot be interacted with" bug I mentioned earlier? That's despite them having a perfectly valid hitbox / bump size set. In other words, I cannot fix it. (I should learn C...)

@Zefz: So you still exist? Mind lending us a hand?
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

I haven't gotten around to reverting it quite yet.

He probably doesn't have time still. :(
Josiah
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by Josiah »

Shade wrote:...
More issues:
- The tile mimics in the Sand Palace seem to have no hitbox whatsoever. They cannot be interacted with at all, whether by touching them or by hitting them with a weapon.
actually, if you try to pick up something while they're right on top of you, and you have nothing in your hand, it will smash into you.

also I noticed in the sand palace that the chest where the tile mimics are does not drop a key, and when the sand troll turns to stone, the doors open, he stays 'stoned', and I can't smash him.
Last edited by Josiah on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Correct. My free time is pretty limited and it seems Egoboo requires a lot of work to fix atm :P
Shade

Post by Shade »

penguinflyer5234 wrote:I haven't gotten around to reverting it quite yet.
Oh, sorry for misinterpreting that. xD
Josiah wrote:
More issues:
- The tile mimics in the Sand Palace seem to have no hitbox whatsoever. They cannot be interacted with at all, whether by touching them or by hitting them with a weapon.
actually, if you try to drop/pick up something while they're right on top of you, it will smash into you.
Oh, good catch. Thanks.
The grip for picking up things is much larger than the hitbox of attacks, so that probably means that the hitbox is severely dislocated rather than nonexistent.
Zefz wrote:Correct. My free time is pretty limited and it seems Egoboo requires a lot of work to fix atm :P
;/
Well, thanks for dropping by, I guess.

EDIT:
Rogue Starter:
- I haven't seen a single COBOL use longbows; may be the issue mentioned before?
- Backstabbing works from extremely weird angles and produces duplicate messages
- COBOLs can walk on top of / through walls
- The ball 'n chain dislocates doors. Seriously, what. Physics screw-up, I assume?
Spoiler: Dislocated door
Josiah
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by Josiah »

The grip for picking up things is much larger than the hitbox of attacks, so that probably means that the hitbox is severely dislocated rather than nonexistent.

I've also noticed that gonnes seem to shoot behind the player quite often, and when playing as a gnome, most melee weapons also hit the player as well as the enemy
Shade

Post by Shade »

Josiah wrote:

I've also noticed that gonnes seem to shoot behind the player quite often, and when playing as a gnome, most melee weapons also hit the player as well as the enemy
Yeah, that's all the particles being messed up.

- The Exit Area's message missing its first half is more mysterious than I thought, as the script looks correct to me. No idea what's causing it.
- Zombor's grave being indestructible has been fixed by lowering its Damage Shift against CRUSH from 1 to 0.
- Zombor appears to heal you when bumping into you, draining your mana instead. What.

EDIT: For who knows why, Zombor healing you apparently was intentional. I don't see the point, so I removed the enchantment that healed you. Zombor's attack simply deals damage and drains your mana. Fixed.