Problem With Loading Characters...

Help regarding development/scripting, troubleshooting or just general gameplay -- anything that hasn't already been answered in the Wiki or pinned FAQs.

Moderator: Developers

Zuker12
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Problem With Loading Characters...

Post by Zuker12 »

Hello. For the past few days I've been trying to fix numerous graphical and performance related problems in Egoboo on my computer and when I finally got it working smooth, loading characters doesn't work. :(

I get this error whenever I try to load a character, and then the game crashes:
"Egoboo has encountered a problem and is exiting.
This is the error report:
There are not enough :'s in file! (mp_players/pup.obj/data.txt)"

When I opened the data.txt-file in the folder, it was empty. What might be the problem? :?
Buggy EgoBuggy
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

This is the same bug that was reported earlier here: http://egoboo.sourceforge.net/forum/vie ... 9282#49282
Apologies if this was already addressed. I don't really know how to search for this problem.

When I try to enter the new easy module next to the Zippy Village it says "Egoboo has encountered a problem and is exiting. This is the error report: There are not enough :'s in file! (mp_import/temp0000.obj/data.txt"

It says the same thing when I try to load Luggy or any other character except it says the character name. For example: "(mp_players/luggy.obj/data.txt)"
Zuker12
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by Zuker12 »

Hmm. Do I have to use the SVN-version or is there some way to fix this? :o
Buggy EgoBuggy
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Compiling and using the latest binary (new .exe file) would work.

I could upload the pre-compiled binary myself for all to download, but it now takes about 15 mb :/
Zuker12
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by Zuker12 »

Well, I guess I'm just gonna wait, seeing as I've spent some countless hours just trying to fix the framerate and graphics issues(I got it working, in the end, by experimenting with setup.txt) and as I can't seem to get anything to compile(too dumb?) on this machine either.
Buggy EgoBuggy
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Just out of curiosity, what did you do in setup.txt to get the framerate to work? I might set that as default when the game is first installed so that the next user doesn't need to fiddle with the settings.
Zuker12
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by Zuker12 »

Well, this is a bit odd, but it seems that when I set the bit depth in setup.txt to 16(desktop bit depth 32), all the textures get scrambled, and when put to 32, the framerate drops to about 5 fps on average. However, when I set the desktop bit depth to 16 and the setup.txt bit depth to 32, there's no performance problem, however if the some of the graphics settings are not set to 'TRUE' in setup.txt then dynamic lights don't work at all, ruining any ability to play on any of the dungeon levels...
I don't know if it's an issue with my system or why is it doing it, but when I changed the desktop bit depth to 16(not in setup.txt), it seemed to work all fine, even with all settings on TRUE or highest value, but if setup.txt bit depth is set to 16, the textures disappear.

This is how my setup.txt looks like currently:
(keep in mind, it works fine, no graphics or performance problems, as long as desktop bit depth is at 16, and some of the settings are kept on TRUE... Turning off some of the settings destroyed the lighting completely, for unknown reasons)

{GRAPHIC}
[PARTICLE_REFLECTION] : "TRUE"
[MAX_NUMBER_VERTICES] : "100"
[COLOR_DEPTH] : "32"
[Z_DEPTH] : "32"
[FULLSCREEN] : "TRUE"
[Z_REFLECTION] : "TRUE"
[SCREENSIZE_X] : "800"
[SCREENSIZE_Y] : "600"
[PERSPECTIVE_CORRECT] : "TRUE"
[TEXTURE_FILTERING] : "ANISOTROPIC"
[GOURAUD_SHADING] : "TRUE"
[ANTIALIASING] : "0"
[DITHERING] : "TRUE"
[REFLECTION] : "TRUE"
[SHADOWS] : "TRUE"
[SHADOW_AS_SPRITE] : "FALSE"
[PHONG] : "TRUE"
[FOG] : "FALSE"
[FLOOR_REFLECTION_FADEOUT] : "FALSE"
[MULTI_LAYER_WATER] : "TRUE"
[OVERLAY] : "TRUE"
[BACKGROUND] : "TRUE"
[MAX_DYNAMIC_LIGHTS] : "32"
[MAX_PARTICLES] : "768"
[MAX_FPS_LIMIT] : "40"
EDIT: Ah, also, a minor problem: Every time I close Egoboo, there's an egoboo.exe application listed in the processes and it effectively prevents some of the programs running unless I remember to kill it every time I quit Egoboo.
Buggy EgoBuggy
Kinokawa
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

SVN Confusion

Post by Kinokawa »

Yo, I got the latest SVN and the tortoiseSVN program. I installed Tortoise and replaced my Egoboo 2.8.0 files with the SVN contents. Running egoboo-svn-r1121 still does not allow me to load characters. Am I doing something wrong? If I make a players folder and put my 2.7.4 characters in, I am able to load any one of them once before it crashes each time. The one star module is still inaccessible.

Unrelated problem2.7.4 does not allow me to push the red/blue buttons in sand palace. Is this problem already fixed?
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

The bug mentioned in your spoiler is fixed in 2.8.0 and the SVN.

The reason your SVN doesn't work, is because I haven't uploaded the newest binary for some time.
Kinokawa
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by Kinokawa »

Ok, thanks! Glad to know it's not just my own ineptitude.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Here is the new binary that should fix the bug you mentioned (windows only):
http://egoboo.sourceforge.net/forum/vie ... php?t=1002
Kinokawa
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

SVN Explained

Post by Kinokawa »

Could you explain how to use the SVN? I extracted the all of the contents to my egoboo folder overwriting any files that were new. Is there some other way to use this? and what does it mean to extract it to the egoboo SVN folder? Do I need to make a new folder to put the SVN in?

Apologies for being clueless, but maybe others will see your response to me and not ask the same question.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

As a general rule of thumb, never overwrite an older Egoboo's contents with new ones. This causes all sorts of odd bugs.

The SVN is a little complex, I'll let someone else explain.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

As AoD said, overwriting existing files is problematic if you install a new version of egoboo over an old version.

This does however not apply to this patch :) You have done correctly. Just install the contents of the package you downloaded into your Egoboo 2.8.0 and many (but not all) bugs should be fixed.
Zuker12
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by Zuker12 »

Well, the prior problem persists once again(though I think it could be fixed with Egoboo re-install and reinstalling that SVN-binary of yours. I could actually load the characters with the SVN-binary) and now I've ran into another error(which occurred at times, but which I can't recreate, since I'm running onto the problem I told you about earlier).
It was something about "invalid pmap spawn points", and seemed to occur with all the other characters but Luggy... At first with Luggy I could play Sand Castle and Lorule without the error, but after I played with Luggy, all the characters(including Luggy) started giving me the earlier error about "not enough :'s in file!", making it impossible to continue the characters.
Buggy EgoBuggy