Next step

Have an idea or great plots for Egoboo? Post them here!

Moderator: Developers

Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Next step

Post by Zefz »

Okay Egoboo 2.7.8 has the following changes now:
Version 2.7.8 (xx.09.2009)
- New Feature: Improved AI by adding Line of Sight detection for targeting.
- New Feature: Improved UI by implementing in-game pop up text.
- New Feature: Implemented the PhysFS file system.
- Update: Made some AI and sound effect improvements to the Squirrel pet.
- Update: Reimplemented the Visual C++ redistributable package for windows users
(Should fix a startup error complaining about configuration settings being incorrect).
- Update: Made multiple improvements to how the GOR system is handled.
- Update: The Angel Elayne in the lower Abyss now attacks undead players on sight.
- Update: Most wands have now increased charge limit making them much more useful.
- Update: The Book of Enchant can now be used to recharge wands.
- Update: The Morph spell now allows you to use [TECH] skill but disables spell casting.
- Update: There is always a minimum 5% chance stealing from shops will be detected.
- Update: Improved some details for the floor tiles in the Paladin Starter.
- Update: Deamon Lords have now halved life regeneration making them much easier to defeat.
- Update: The Haste spell costs less mana to sustain now.
- Update: Ghosts can now move through walls and impassable tiles.
- Update: Support for multiple new resolution formats including wide-screen.
- Update: Improved various menu UI handling and made it look nice in all resolutions.
- Update: Improved the gameplay when using the mouse as input controller.
- Update: Increased the amount of treasure loot found in the Ice Palace.
- Update: Improved the Frost Lizard AI.
- Update: Improved the texture detail for all the title images.
- Bugfix: The Magic Carpet is no longer mountable while being held.
- Bugfix: When cookie stacks are splilt, they should now retain their burned and watered status.
- Bugfix: Fixed a bug in the joystick reading function. Analog joysticks should work much better now.
- Bugfix: Devil Doors should function properly again.
- Bugfix: Glyph plates in Abyss 2 should now properly display messages again.
- Bugfix: Fixed infinite sound loop being played in Abyss 2.
- Bugfix: Beating the final level now properly lets you save your character progress.
- Bugfix: Changed the use animation for Lamps so that Wizards can use them as well.
- Bugfix: All Divine Runes now properly display messages when crushed.
- Bugfix: Fixed invisible boulder trap in Archaeologist Starter
- Bugfix: Scimitars can now properly be enchanted by the Book of Enchant.
- Bugfix: Book of Summon Crabs should now properly export as a spell and not as a crab monster.
- Bugfix: Fixed bug where the Faeries in the Elf Starter would follow a lumpkin instead of the player.
- Bugfix: Water is now properly impassable terrain in Bishopia City once again.
- Bugfix: Fixed bug where items in shop were only sold for half value.
- Bugfix: Fixed mushrooms having 0 value when bought or sold.
- Bugfix: Tile Mimics can no longer move through doors and walls.
- Bugfix: Angus in Bishopia now properly gives Soul Carver as quest reward.
- Bugfix: Lich boss in the crypt now properly holds an attack spell instead of a treasure chest.
- Bugfix: Fixed a serious bug with morphing.
- Bugfix: Fixed two impassable passages in Catacombs 2 module. (Credits to Rygwryr)
- Bugfix: Fixed bug that made Ghosts invincible and Life Drain caused by Ghosts to disappear
without a proper restoration.
- Bugfix: Catacombs 1 and Abyss 2 now properly allows up to 4 player imports instead of 1.
- Bugfix: Major bug fixed that caused modules not to unlock properly when exporting.
- Bugfix: Incorrect boss music in Water Palace fixed.
- Bugfix: Removed music resetting when loading a module.
- Bugfix: Enchantments end messages display escapes properly.
- Bugfix: Corrected some character hitboxes.
- Bugfix: Fixed some acceleration issues that made the Tourist Starter almost impossible.
- Bugfix: Fixed Lord Hagen AI movement bug in the Soldier Starter.
- Bugfix: Many, many other bugs fixed!
Which means we are due to a release. There are a couple of bugs though that are preventing our next release (mainly the one that prevents saved players to load correctly half of the time).

Other than that I thought I might take yet another shot at a new module. I was wondering what I should make though.

Town Modules
On my vision todo list I have only towns (Booty Cove, Great Wood and Highspire). I just finished up Sandweg (and scratched that one from my list:)) so I thought something else than a town would be nice.

Sidequests
Does Egoboo need any more sidequest modules? If so, any suggestions?

Hero Classes
Do we need another Hero Quest module? For what classes? If so, I would like to keep it simple as the Arch-Mage Trials took a lot of time and work to make. Something for the Soldier, G'nome, Paladin or Healer perhaps? They are the only ones that don't have a special module for themselves yet. (Rogue has K'nife's Heist). Archaeologist, Tourist and Zombor are special classes so they might not need an own module. Come to think of it, the G'nome is a unlockable class now too and they get Highspire a own G'nome town.
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Re: Next step

Post by Shade »

Sounds good.
Zefz wrote:Town Modules
On my vision todo list I have only towns (Booty Cove, Great Wood and Highspire). I just finished up Sandweg (and scratched that one from my list:)) so I thought something else than a town would be nice.
I would like to make another adventure-type module (partly caves, partly outside or something), but I need to be able to run the newest version available to do so, which currently isn't the case.

Zefz wrote:Sidequests
Does Egoboo need any more sidequest modules? If so, any suggestions?
More sidequests can never be a bad thing.
Maybe some kind of temple that is unrelated to the sporks? Maybe about some kind of sect or something?
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Clonkinator wrote: I would like to make another adventure-type module (partly caves, partly outside or something), but I need to be able to run the newest version available to do so, which currently isn't the case.
Because of slowdowns right? This was also the case with the binary I released last week? (#32 or something like that)
Shade

Post by Shade »

Zefz wrote:
Clonkinator wrote: I would like to make another adventure-type module (partly caves, partly outside or something), but I need to be able to run the newest version available to do so, which currently isn't the case.
Because of slowdowns right? This was also the case with the binary I released last week? (#32 or something like that)
Yeah, and IIRC, it also had that graphic garbage again.
Can't say anything about #33 though, I couldn't be assed to try it yet. Maybe I'll do that later.
Ryrgwryr
Grub Bug (Rookie)
Grub Bug (Rookie)

Post by Ryrgwryr »

Sidequests and hero classes are always welcome i guess. Although we don't have many hero classes now so that would be probably more important right now.

As for other modules, i had an idea for survival-like module. I wanted to make one but i have school year now sadly(and knowing myself i wouldnt ever finish it). Survival modules would be just random waves of random monsters with random items. SpawnAttachedObject would be needed for this though. As for particular example gnome starter could be remade for airship flight to highspire. There would be waves of lumpkins/air pirates/animated rain drops or sth. They could get stronger with each wave. There could be some additions ofcourse like each 5/10/394 waves boss monster and treasure chest carried by him/hes helper. I also thought about colloseum (more diversity of monsters) or forest of random encounters (higher diversity of monsters and perhaps traveling shops and other events). I imagined forest of random encounters like Hidden Maze in Ragnarok Online. Map is divided in many smaller areas with warps to another one, while in RO they arent exactly random, we could have random ones.
Studying...
PurpleSquerkle
Massive Gelfeet (Developer)
Massive Gelfeet (Developer)

Post by PurpleSquerkle »

Zefz wrote:the G'nome is a unlockable class now
This is bonkers.
...Why?
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

PurpleSquerkle wrote:This is bonkers.
...Why?
I concur.
:wink:
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Because there was a vote on it. I am not sure who participated, apparently not you two.

The whole idea was because the Rogue Starter ended like this, according to Aaron himself (only if you rescue K'nife):
With K'nife close behind, you easily break through the last Cobol
Freedom at last! As a reward, K'nife arranges
for one of his cousins to join you in your quest for Lord Bishop's
head. His airship should be arriving shortly...
That ending doesn't make much sense if you can play the G'nome from the start does it? And interestingly enough this line: join you in your quest for Lord Bishop's head insinuates that the G'nome is also into helping the Rogue get his revenge.
xenom[GER]
Tome Mimic (Module Baker)
Tome Mimic (Module Baker)

Post by xenom[GER] »

I have to agree with Zefz. It makes more sense from a story point of view.

For a new module I'd love to see a new side-quest for my level 12 Adventurer :D!
/me is back!
ModBaker development thread | [url=http://modbaker_blog.tobiasgall.de]ModBaker dev blog[/url]
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Zefz wrote:Because there was a vote on it. I am not sure who participated, apparently not you two.

The whole idea was because the Rogue Starter ended like this, according to Aaron himself (only if you rescue K'nife)
Ah, yes, I remember that one. I'm fine with it then.
:wink:
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

xenom[GER] wrote:For a new module I'd love to see a new side-quest for my level 12 Adventurer :D!
If you're thinking about a class-specific sidequest, we already have the Arch-Mage Trials.

Hmm, what about a Knight module? I think a Soldier, Adventurer and the Paladin could turn into a Knight? They would stop gaining any magic abilities, but instead gaining mount powers (faster mounts, tougher mounts, never being dismounted when attacked... Lance Mastery). Might be uninteresting though... And an appropiate quest? Maybe some sort of tournament? But that sounds like a lot of work again :P
penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

I think sidequests are always great, and when you've been working on Sandweg it's nice to take a break from towns. Heros too. I should get working on stuff again, I've been lazy and doing other things...
Maxaxle
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by Maxaxle »

1. Why is the G'nome helping the Rogue!??
2. I think we should stabilize Egoboo before taking another epicly unstable step.
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

...Riiiight... Zefz says it's nearly stable. The last couple of bugs are being toiled at, we're discussing Zefz' next awesome module.

Anyhow, I like Clonks' idea. I'll look forward to that.
And perhaps, Zefz, you could try a quest for the Adventurer. Something like a maze? The Minotaur Maze, perhaps. That might be an all-class one, but yeah...
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Shade

Post by Shade »

Maxaxle wrote:1. Why is the G'nome helping the Rogue!??
2. I think we should stabilize Egoboo before taking another epicly unstable step.
1. Because the Rogue helped one of his buddies to escape from prison. That is, if you actually did.
2. It already pretty much is, Mr. Genius.