New binary for SVN users (#45)

The development of the game itself or new resources for it. Any new stuff you're working on would go here, as well as the discussion of in-development stuff.

Moderator: Developers

bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

I think it might be the hitting escape thing. I will have to check that out...

It should do exactly the same thing, no matter how you get out of the module, though.
Poop Loops
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Post by Poop Loops »

penguinflyer2222 wrote:That's a bug. Check quest.txt. What does it say?
It says " :[MAIN] 0 " for all my characters.

I made an Elf just now, beat the starter module, loaded into Zippy, and it was fine, just as it was when I ended the module. I shopped around, left, went to Bishopia, and none of the Zippy events had exported, because I was back to where I was when I ended the starter module.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

just so you know, the camera angle is not saved. that means nothing.

It should keep your levels, though.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

A updated the Quest.txt doesn't necessarily mean your character has been exported. The quest functions ignore exportvalid values and save and edit quest files even if you not save your player.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Update to the latest revision and check out the Ice Palace. I added new music, improved the icy water and added snowfall! The new particle system makes particles look different, so I'm not sure how it looks on older binaries.

I also improved the Mephit AI. They now use their wings to fly up and down, over obstacles and up towards flying enemies.

I am validating whether I am going to upload binary #23 before the release tomorrow.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Snow is awesome! LOL
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Good news! I finally fixed that friggin SetTargetToWideBlahID bug! We are getting close to our release :D
Poop Loops
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Post by Poop Loops »

bgbirdsey wrote:just so you know, the camera angle is not saved. that means nothing.
Well it was. I zoomed out, exited module, entered new one, and I'd have the same camera angle I had been using before. Now I have to re-set it every time, and it's different from the "default" camera angle.
It should keep your levels, though.
And my inventory items, and my money, XP, etc. :) Just checked out the latest SVN again and it's still an issue. I'll try to look around and see why. :D
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

I made it so that the zoom is always zoomed out maximum (MAXZADD). Maybe that's the cause?

Oh btw I improved the Lumpkin AI so that they search for a weapon to grab if they lose both their weapons.
Poop Loops
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Post by Poop Loops »

Ahh, I see. Yes, that would make sense. I did zoom it out previously all the way, which wasn't my usual configuration. Okay, that part is settled. But the rest is still a mystery.

EDIT: Okay, so correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, the way this game is written is that the *.c files contain instructions such as "animate slashing", "record damage", "remove hp" or "play sound", and then a script is defined, let's call it "SLASH" which would look something like (in pseudo-code)

SLASH = {animate, play sound, record damage, remove hp = damage from monster}

So then when adding in content you just use those special defined scripts instead of having to go and mess with the guts of the code yourself, right?
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

Zefz wrote:close to our release
:shock:
:o
:D
:woo:
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

@pl

The code is actually a hybrid.

In Aaron's second game SoulFu, the main loop is *kinda* controlled by a master script. In Egoboo, scripts are only used for individual objects to interact with the world and with each other. The main loop is completely independent of this.

The scripting system contains some composite functions like you have pseudo-coded and some wrappers to call main-loop functions.

The idea behind the scripting system was the typical one, that a scripting system allows for "rapid development"... However, when you use a very low level language with little documentation, your headaches due to learning a poorly implemented custom scripting language completely obliterate the supposed benefits...

Plus, it only takes me like 10 seconds to recompile the program, so I don't know how it could be more rapid using scripts. The majority of the time it takes me to test out a chane ig moving an in-game player to a point where I can observe the change I made. :P
Poop Loops
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Post by Poop Loops »

bgbirdsey wrote:@pl

The code is actually a hybrid.

In Aaron's second game SoulFu, the main loop is *kinda* controlled by a master script. In Egoboo, scripts are only used for individual objects to interact with the world and with each other. The main loop is completely independent of this.

The scripting system contains some composite functions like you have pseudo-coded and some wrappers to call main-loop functions.

The idea behind the scripting system was the typical one, that a scripting system allows for "rapid development"... However, when you use a very low level language with little documentation, your headaches due to learning a poorly implemented custom scripting language completely obliterate the supposed benefits...
I see. So is there any effort being done to slowly move away from scripting to only using C? I mean, you could do all this stuff in C++, just replace scripts with objects. I guess that at the end of the day, making content would be harder for regular users, though...
Plus, it only takes me like 10 seconds to recompile the program, so I don't know how it could be more rapid using scripts. The majority of the time it takes me to test out a chane ig moving an in-game player to a point where I can observe the change I made. :P
Not compile, write! :) Seeing "SLASH" is easier on the eyes than all those functions that comprise a slashing animation, sound being played, etc. And yeah, making it easier for other users to add their own content. I guess it doesn't matter at this stage, since the game isn't popular enough to have people crashing servers with all of the custom content they have developed. Moving to pure C and then after things are more complete adding scripting again might be a good idea. Or at least, I don't see why you should keep using this scripting language if it's a pain in the neck.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

New binary folks! This should fix a number of bugs. Most serious one being the Quest System not working properly. Remember to update your SVN as well. If this works, we'll consider releasing the 2.7.3b patch release (which needs to be released as quickly as possible).

Binary #23 download:
http://www.2shared.com/file/5941616/e71 ... RY-23.html

Alternative download mirror:
http://www.willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=6752
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Okay got a new binary here (#24) .

Download Link: Download binary #24

Big fixes/changes:
- Fixed the intelligence and wisdom bonus to spell damage/resistance and xp bonus.
- Fixed unlock system failing (hopefully? seemed someone still had some trouble with the quest system)
- A lot of the graphics rendering has been reworked, especially the lightning stuff.
- Tweaks to the physics engine

Known bugs:
- If you start a module after just playing one, the module freezes.
- Torches can be hard to light with braziers, you may have to stand on the brazier to get the flame to touch properly.[/url]