New binary for SVN users (#45)

The development of the game itself or new resources for it. Any new stuff you're working on would go here, as well as the discussion of in-development stuff.

Moderator: Developers

Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

The executable inside the archive is named binary #20, even though it is a newer one.

No success. The torch particle looks remarkably different than before - smaller and more transparent. However, the textures are still all black...
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Yeah, the torch particle is a bit buggy until birdsey implements that expansion.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Anyone notice arrows point the right direction when fired in the newest binary? :P I haven't noticed it until now. It looks great xD
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Binary #22
This is probably the final binary before the release. It includes:
- some particle improvements
- physics bug fixes (including the one that causes characters to skyrocket when dismounted)
- Basic ingame menus (for adding end text to modules)
- Fixed AI activating quest related stuff
- Armor damage shifts can now have T, F, C and M. T converts damage to healing. F is normal. C converts damage to mana. M deals damage to mana first and then life (useful for making mana shield spells or special force shields, etc.).
- I also added 15% money loss upon death, to test if this is something we want!

http://www.2shared.com/file/5789196/10c ... RY-22.html

I was thinking maybe the ultimate power for the Hobgoblin would be a force field. It would use the mana bar to take damage (before losing normal HP) and the mana bar would regenerate through Mana Return. (which could also increase with level)
PurpleSquerkle
Massive Gelfeet (Developer)
Massive Gelfeet (Developer)

Post by PurpleSquerkle »

Ooh... force field.
You know, maybe I haven't been giving the Hobgoblin enough attention. I've been worrying too much about the Vampyre, and all the modeling work that requires has been a big headache. The Hobgoblin would be much easier to work with... Although, granted, I haven't done anything on it in what, a year? I've gotten so much better at everything that it would be smartest to start over with most things to make them better.

Oh, and by the way: WillHostForFood is not blocked on my network! So if you upload the binaries there I can get them. :)
It seems to be a pretty decent host, too. The maximum file size is 100 MB, but that shouldn't be a problem, right?
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Let's see if this works.

Binary #22 download mirror:
http://www.willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=66355
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

I can't leave the bounds of the window in the new binary (not even for the panel with the 'x'), effectively making window mode obsolete.

Correction: I can, but only after loading a module.
Also, enemies still fly away after being dismounted, though not as much as they did before.

Yet another edit: If you pick up a body and then mount something (a chocobone, in my case), the acceleration and movement gets very weird with random bursts of speed and slight uncontrollable movement to the sides.
:wink:
Poop Loops
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Post by Poop Loops »

Yeah, I'm confused about the ending of the module thing. I beat a module, gave me a "continue" prompt, hit continue. Started another module, and nothing got saved. :(
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

I am planning to temporarily disable grabbing bodies in the release version, because it has no current in game function and isn't limited by weight or size (you can grab giant scorpion bodies! And it still has bugs like the one you mentioned above.

Maybe the game no longer exports after the "Continue" prompt has been implemented?
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

I can't leave the bounds of the window in the new binary (not even for the panel with the 'x'), effectively making window mode obsolete.
Right now, the cursor mode that you set in the setup.txt is restored at various places.

You can modify this in setup.txt with the "grab mouse" tag.

However, I guess that the game should "always" grab the mouse when the module is activated, if the mouse player is activated?

--------------------------

PL, the code is exactly the same for leaving a module.

How do you know that it didn't export? Some things just do not export.

It also might be that the export bug that places held items in inventory was never fixed.

-------------------------

What word do you want there?
  • You hit escape to end the module.
    The end of module text is displayed. (hopefully)
    There is a button at the bottom of the module that says ....?
you can also hit escape to get out of that menu

--------------------------

Menus relate to each other differently now. Exiting a module does not kick you out to the main menu automatically.

If you exit a starter module, should you be kicked out to the "choose a player" menu, or back to the "starter module" menu?

If you exit a normal module now, you are sent back to the "choose a module" menu, so that you can start a new module with exactly the same players as you already selected. You can hit the "back" button to choose different players.

----------------------------

Did anyone notice that you can change the graphics settings, sound settings, and control settings from in-game. Hit f8 to try it out.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

If you exit a Starter module and export your character successfully (exportvalid), then it should send you to the choose player menu. If not, it should put you back to the Start New Player menu. This would actually be a very good fix, since I have heard various complaints of newbies who got confused how to continue with their character after beating a module.

The ??? button should be "Exit without saving" or "Save and export" depending if export was valid or not?
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

The ??? button should be "Exit without saving" or "Save and export" depending if export was valid or not?
That would be very good.

I was setting up for implementing it this way:
  • If you didn't beat the module, hitting escape would do exactly the same thing as hitting f8 is doing now. It brings up a menu with "quit game", and some things about controls. Eventually, there should be some kind of help function there and we should retire the f1-f4 buttons...

If you had beaten the module, if would bring up the current exit "menu" where it displays the end text over the scene.
So, if
  • = export is valid, but the module is is beaten - "Save and export"
    = export is valid, but the module is not beaten - "Exit without saving"
    = export is invalid - "Exit game"
Poop Loops
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Post by Poop Loops »

bgbirdsey wrote:PL, the code is exactly the same for leaving a module.

How do you know that it didn't export? Some things just do not export.

It also might be that the export bug that places held items in inventory was never fixed.
I beat the Sand Palace, gained a level while there, and also changed my camera angle noticeably. I exit the SP, go to Zippy town, and I'm back to the original level I was with the original XP, plus the camera angle was back to where it was before. I can't say about items, I didn't take anything with me.

I *did* however pick up the Spork, then drop it, and then leave. I don't know if it said anything about having the Spork in hand when you exit. =S

EDIT: Just did the same thing again, and the same thing happened. I can't say what's not exporting or what is. All I did was the usual compile + install. And I downloaded the latest SVN today, too. By the way, the arrows look weird again when fired. :(

EDIT 2: And just did it for my 2nd character, same results. They just aren't saving when I hit "escape".
penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

That's a bug. Check quest.txt. What does it say?