New binary for SVN users (#45)

The development of the game itself or new resources for it. Any new stuff you're working on would go here, as well as the discussion of in-development stuff.

Moderator: Developers

bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Ah, I see that the color depth is causing problems still. I will make a quick fix in the source that forces 32 bit (no matter what setup.txt says). Maybe I will even remove the value from setup.txt.
The real solution would be to figure out why we are having the crash and fix that. I believe it is because of a basic wrong assumption in the routines that load textures into OpenGL.

go ahead and do that workaround.
PurpleSquerkle
Massive Gelfeet (Developer)

Post by PurpleSquerkle »

Zefz wrote:Okay here is another final attempt on getting it to work. This time I removed all LUA dependencies and included the vcredist_x89.exe that was included with my Visual Studio C++ 2008 installer. Please uninstall any previous redistributable package (yes, I'm sorry but it needs to be done again. This is the only way to ensure that no other packages are interfering with your install).

http://www.2shared.com/file/5642280/3b5 ... RY-20.html

Let us know how it goes! :P
...Can I have this one? I'm such a pain, I know. :P
Our network is so wacky. I might explain some time but not right now...

penguinflyer2222 wrote: We like Doctor Who. We like Ike. Who is Ike anyway? :lol:
"I like Ike" was a campaigning slogan for our former (and now dead) president Dwight Eisenhower.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwight_Eisenhower

Regarding stuff I read in the svn logs:
"Archaeologist" is actually the UK spelling, whereas "Archeologist" is the US spelling. Most of Egoboo right now uses US English... it started here after all. :P
That said, however, I actually prefer "Archaeologist"; that's how I usually spell it anyhow...
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

Is Aaron from the US?
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

PurpleSquerkle wrote:Most of Egoboo right now uses US English... it started here after all. :P
I thought Egoboo was originally Polish. :?
At least someone told me that. Was it Zefz who said that?
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
Lordofdragonss
Chest Mimic (Community member)
Chest Mimic (Community member)

Post by Lordofdragonss »

Polish? LOL, If it would be polish i will be happy xD
Image FEED ME!
penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

I remember reading that somewhere, that Aaron was Polish.
PurpleSquerkle

Post by PurpleSquerkle »

You're probably remember when Zefz said that (he didn't actually know, I think he was just making it up :P)
woodmouse wrote:
PurpleSquerkle wrote:Most of Egoboo right now uses US English... it started here after all. :P
I thought Egoboo was originally Polish. :?
At least someone told me that. Was it Zefz who said that?
Egoboo used to have quite a big Polish community back in the Zippy days, if I recall correctly.
However:
Zefz wrote:Is Aaron from the US?
Yes. I guess I'm not entirely certain, but I'm at least 80-90% sure...
He had a mailing address (his mother's, I think) on the original site ages ago, and it was somewhere in the US (though I don't remember where specifically).
Also, Ben teaches at a university somewhere in the country, but I forget where.

...Of course, that doesn't mean he was born here, but I assume it's where he lives now, since other members of his family are here.

...But then there's also the theory that Aaron does not actually exist... :mrgreen:
penguinflyer2222

PurpleSquerkle wrote:...But then there's also the theory that Aaron does not actually exist... :mrgreen:
I haven't heard this one. I've only heard the birdsey-is-Ben-Bishop one.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

penguinflyer2222 wrote:
PurpleSquerkle wrote:...But then there's also the theory that Aaron does not actually exist... :mrgreen:
I haven't heard this one. I've only heard the birdsey-is-Ben-Bishop one.
Neither have I. But... Birdsey, you must explain this! If you're brother of Aaron, wow, tell him to come here! xD
(if you're not, then I'll cry. Not really, though. It would be a shock if Birdsey was Aaron's brother. Or if he was 11.)
PurpleSquerkle

Post by PurpleSquerkle »

Ha, no, I don't think he is. I joked once that he might be, since they share the same first name. But that's sort of a silly grounds for assuming they're the same person; we have at least two other Bens here. :P

Bgbirdsey had another interesting theory, though, that Ben Bishop invented his "brother" to avoid problems with the university he works for.
It makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

Getting back on topic:
Hopefully I'll get a chance to try the new binary today.
...Actually I have plenty of time to do it, it's just a matter of getting around to it. :P
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

PurpleSquerkle wrote:Ha, no, I don't think he is. I joked once that he might be, since they share the same first name. But that's sort of a silly grounds for assuming they're the same person; we have at least two other Bens here. :P

Bgbirdsey had another interesting theory, though, that Ben Bishop invented his "brother" to avoid problems with the university he works for.
It makes a lot of sense when you think about it.
Oh, ok. Now I see. :?

@Purple: Chat?
penguinflyer2222

Still offtopic:
PurpleSquerkle wrote: Ha, no, I don't think he is. I joked once that he might be, since they share the same first name. But that's sort of a silly grounds for assuming they're the same person; we have at least two other Bens here. :P
Also that it's Ben B. in both cases, I assume, but I know that it was because birdsey is really good at programming too.

Uhh.. I don't have anything to say that's ontopic.
PurpleSquerkle

Post by PurpleSquerkle »

Well, it was really that he was very familiar with Egoboo's code in particular.

Anyway, Zefz, I tried the new binary (finally; sorry about the delay :ack: ) and it works. Everything seems fine, though I did notice that sheen appears to be broken (but I assume that has nothing to do with the new binary). Stuff was weird and pale. I remember that happening in some older versions, too...

I haven't tried removing the vcredist_x86 package you mentioned, though, because I can't figure out where it is. :?
Was that something that was up on the svn already or is it a separate thing you had people download? If it's the latter case, I probably missed it.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

I did not include the vcredist package because I don't think we need it anymore! But before we can confirm that we need people to install Egoboo on a pc with no vcredist installed.

In the latest binary I plan to release there are some light problems which makes some objects suddenly turn very dark for no reason.
Feenfleisch
Grub Bug (Rookie)
Grub Bug (Rookie)

Post by Feenfleisch »

@Zefz can u upload the new binary plz!! thx