The totally bestest thread ever (for random stuff)

Anything not related to Egoboo.

Moderator: Developers

woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Re: SPAM

Post by woodmouse »

How would an ancient Mesoamerican guy speak english? I mean, a guy who used to hang out with Mayas and later Aztecs (possibly with some other civilizations before either of those; he's immortal (because he's dead)), in the novel I'm writing. Obviously, if I'd know Aztec and Maya languages, then I'd have him speak a combination of those (as in the coolest-sounding words of both (I know, that'd be completely retarded :P)), but I don't, so how could his ethnicity be put into the things he says without it coming off as forced? It wouldn't make sense for him to mention places/people from that time, since he's been living in another place for so long (at least a couple of centuries, possibly even longer, considering that he's sorta like a time traveller, and you know, dead...). Any ideas, anyone? Because I'm kinda stuck with this. He can't be like "Yo guise, I'm old and stuff, be nice or I'll kill you." or anything, but using pseudo-old/archaic/fancy english wouldn't really make sense, since he didn't speak english at that time (you know, "Hail, brethren! I hath grown old and therefore deserve thy respect. If thou refusest this, beware as I shall slay thee." and stuff). :?
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
Maxaxle
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by Maxaxle »

@woodmouse: Maybe he says things mentally, i.e. your brain interprets what he says for you, with the only misunderstandings being when he says more complex phrases that don't work out well in his original language.

octagon wrote:In the form of USB adapter sticks, the needed hardware is apparently pretty cheap. I don't know if these 10$ things are enough, but I suppose they should work.
Agent of Dread wrote:Assuming the computers don't have wireless receivers built in from the beginning.
Interesting. A shame I don't know anyone that does LAN parties.

EDIT 2: Nevermind the following.
Me, earlier wrote: EDIT: I try to make a joke, AoD...(first line)
Spoiler: Full Title
AoD's All-Seeing Eyes: The Movie: The Game: The Musical: The Book: The Book: The Game: The Musical: The Movie: The Webcomic: The Game: The Ride: The Game: The Movie: The Book: The Musical: The Book: The Game
And then you go and do this before I can even open up my Library!
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
Seanbot
Cobol (Esteemed member)
Cobol (Esteemed member)

Post by Seanbot »

We should have a WAN party!
Moogirl wrote: [19:47:14] ­period jokes = not cool
[19:47:23] ­no wait it's the anus
[19:47:25] ­wtf
[19:47:46] ­a cloud cannot have that much blood
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Agent of Dread wrote:You're an up-and-coming member of society, get a jawb.
...although you didn't say this to me, I'll have to point something out.

Finding a job isn't easy, at least here in Finland. There's going to be some new law that will make it pretty much impossible, and every employer is kicking their employees out because they don't have enough money to pay them. (I don't even want a job, which is why I actually might get one... D:) It's every day on the news how many people get kicked out from their jobs daily, the necessary education for even a toilet cleaner is more than what the average person has, etc. so it's pretty much only the already rich people who get jobs by bribing some of the less rich (but still rich) employers to employ them.

PS: Obviously, it's not like that for everyone and every job, but it still is like that.
Maxaxle wrote:@woodmouse: Maybe he says things mentally, i.e. your brain interprets what he says for you, with the only misunderstandings being when he says more complex phrases that don't work out well in his original language.
Hmmm, could be. But then he wouldn't have any problems with being heard or anything, there could be no "wait, did you just say "I f***ed a tomato"?"-situations, etc. It'd be a little bit too practical. :P

PS: There are so many close-minded jerks on Omegle. So many. Everyone keeps telling me that I'm immature and hypocritical. It's not offensive to call me hypocritical, since I know it's true, but like... calling me immature is offensive, since, well, I know it's somewhat true, but not completely. I mean, sure I like some things that are a bit childish, use emoticons, etc. no matter what kinda conversation, but when they call me that because I believe in God... that's just offensive. Atheism isn't some kind of "level up" into adulthood, and for me it went the exact opposite way; I used to not believe in God, but then after that one thing happened, I started believing. And now everyone thinks everything I say is irrelevant because I'm "a happy little Christian with no sense of reality"... honestly, why is it supposedly so wrong to believe in God? I don't even mention that to most people unless they start saying things like "f**k God, anyone who believes should be killed" or something, because then I feel like, you know, asking why they think like that. And they take it as me being a delusional little kid whose parents grew me in a barrel. :| Urgh, close-minded jerky atheists are so annoying... why can't they just ignore any and all religious people? Why do they have to insult and push until they turn the nice, kind and forgiving believers into something like crusaders in the middle ages? It's not "showing their true colors", it's pushing them into changing...
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

And just how are we going to have a WAN party? What would we even do?
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Seanbot wrote:We should have a WAN party!
Sure, I'll pack my bags and get on the next flight out >.> ...
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

A WAN is a wide area network (like the internet).
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

penguinflyer5234 wrote:A WAN is a wide area network (like the internet).
But I'd need to be closer to get anything under 100ms. Hundreds of miles closer.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Clearly the solution is distorting space-time.
Seanbot
Cobol (Esteemed member)
Cobol (Esteemed member)

Post by Seanbot »

penguinflyer5234 wrote:And just how are we going to have a WAN party? What would we even do?
OpenVPN
Pink Pony
?????
Thug Lyfe
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Seanbot wrote: Pink Pony
:ack:

What about Smokin' Guns (basically Counter-Strike if it was a Spaghetti Western), Xonotic, Infiniminer, or, god forbid, Battlefield 1942 via Origin?
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Tron-like games are fun!

don't particularly like FPSes, Mono + Mac = no fun, and EA.
Seanbot
Cobol (Esteemed member)
Cobol (Esteemed member)

Post by Seanbot »

OpenTTD, Teeworlds, war3 worms worms wroms womarms womsrmo oh man worms
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

Gate 88, Teeworlds yes yes yes, Toribash?
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

For those of you who like steering with a mouse: Quake 3 Rally?
http://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-3-rally
The bots are dumb, the car handling is fun, the physics punish those who drive poorly, and the game is centered around car-based combat.