The totally bestest thread ever (for random stuff)

Anything not related to Egoboo.

Moderator: Developers

woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Re: The totally bestest thread ever (for random stuff)

Post by woodmouse »

pf2! :D
Cimeries wrote:I definitely see all of you as my friends, even though we've never met in person.
I think it'd be great if we all got together to meet in person sometime in the future, but no idea how that could be arranged in a way that everyone could actually show up... I mean, probably everyone has at least one obstacle preventing that. It's always been a mystery to me how people on other forums and whatnot can so easily organise meet-ups.
Cimeries wrote:I think Egoboo deserves a well-earned rest. One could recreate the entire thing from the ground up, but at this point, a couple decades later with an entirely different group of people, you may as well make a new game out of it.
Sadly, that's probably true.
penguinflyer2222 wrote:And I still work on Egoboo stuff sometimes
Good to know I'm not the only one, heh. :P Well, I mean, the last time I tried to do anything Egoboo-related was like a year ago and it was just barely continuing to expand that one huge city module but it was practically impossible to even do that since for some reason EgoMap flickers completely black on my laptop. Probably an issue of resolution or something...? Oh well.
penguinflyer2222 wrote:https://i.imgur.com/7WO7GHQ.png
Looks cool, and so does your avatar.
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

Woody! :D

Yeah, EgoMap does a flickery thing for me, too. I don't remember exactly why, but I'm pretty sure it's due to EgoMap being buggy and stuff not properly being supported or whatever.
I wrote a thing in Perl (which is complicated to get working on Windows, but it's the language I'm most familiar with and I have a book on it,)
that can read and write level.mpds, and convert them to and from Misfit Model 3D's format.
So I can look at them in the modeller and edit the vertices, then edit the tile textures and flags in EgoMap.
Of course, I haven't really done anything with it... but that's something I was working on.

@AoD: Yeah, I'm not so much interested in the social things, I was thinking more of a place to dump random art or something,
like this beautiful collage I did four years ago, and the stuff in it (haha why am I posting this):
Spoiler: Let's party!

Daisy combined with Wind Waker Tingle and the Happy Mask Salesman from Majora's Mask, with Legault from Fire Emblem: Blazing Blade in the background... and a cake. Perfect?!
So I'm not sure if I will do that, but maybe.
Anyway, I'll probably post something more serious I started a few days ago when I finish it. :lol:
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

You said it yourself, it's beautiful. :D
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
penguinflyer2222

So here's the other thing, it's probably finished: Lora from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Torna ~ The Golden Country.
Spoiler: slightly less scaled down
I was gonna edit my post, but then you posted before I was going to. :P
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I really like this one. The lighting on all those armour plates looks great!
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

Yo! Seems like I forgot to stop by here, it's been a while.
My degree is plodding along and it's a bit of a downer, but spending a lot of time with my girlfriend is nice.

I've gotten really into Magic: the Gathering (mostly Arena and casual matches with friends), and I've been slowly working on a homebrew PbtA game planning to revive an old play-by-post I used to run.

Since that's such a long-term thing, I kind of miss having a more immediate creative outlet.

@pf2: You're pretty good at drawing. The Sheik one is my favorite.

Learning English with Egoboo was kind of funny. I fondly remember all the weird monsters and messages in Egoboo.
I had no idea that the game's text was so idiosyncratic and quirky, and it would influence the way I talked a little bit.

AoR was really cool and immersive. Despite my indecision back then, I really enjoy the horror fantasy vibes of "what the fuck is this and how is it going to kill us".
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Hi Octy. :)

Yeah, the Magic bug bit me too since Rivals of Ixalan. Arena is a really great way to get my fix now that I've moved away from my favourite store/play space, though it's not helping me play more Commander...
octagon

Post by octagon »

I love Izzet drakes right now. That mixture of fast and reactive feels so crunchy.

The freedom of Commander is great, but after a few weekly games in 2017 I'm not so keen on the dynamic of "pretend to be nonthreatening, then wipe the table in a single 10-minute turn".
When it's fun it's really fun though.
What decks did you play?
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I used to scoff at a lot of the popular decks but I'll happily take Izzet Drakes over another game against mono blue or a control deck where Teferi is the sole win condition, or like, Dawn of Hope. My personal brew is a Knight tribal deck but it really gets outpaced by most things after the latest meta shift. I want to try other stuff but it sure takes a while to cobble together the wildcards...

And yeah, I know what you mean about Commander, but I find that playing with a friend group where everyone's familiar with each other's decks helps minimise that, in addition to that it makes you a bit more likely to "share the love". :P
My favourite to play so far has been Eddy Markov, but at some point I was piecing together a zombie tribal in some combination of colours...
PurpleSquerkle
Massive Gelfeet (Developer)
Massive Gelfeet (Developer)

Post by PurpleSquerkle »

WHAT'S UP, NERDS

got on to find some old rp post or something to show a friend so we can embarrass each other with old writing and then found out ppl are still posting here??

i got married a whole year ago; time flies
we don't have kids (we are both women so that's, you know, not something you can just go out and do haha. because science) but a kid lives in our house so idk, close enough

EDIT: also vlürch don't kill me i'll write you back i promise
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Ohh, hey Purple. Yeah, I'm trying to keep the chatter alive even though real life might have finally eaten the last of the potential PnP activity. :P

Congrats on your marriage! Glad to hear things are going well for you.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

I suppose we're doing check-ins? On the bright side, I finally have a job that's actually relevant to my career path, and I think I might just be figuring myself out one thousandth of a percentage point at a time, but on the not-so-bright side, I should go back to school and earn a degree that has something to do with said career path, and I should quit sequestering myself in my room every day. I've also got a few temporary issues, but nothing really worth talking about here. Hopefully all of you are doing better than I am. ^^;

As far as meeting up is concerned, I can only wonder how. Even meeting up with one of my cousins in San Antonio (central Texas) would either require a lot of driving or flying there, and that's a trip that doesn't cross water (so ships/planes aren't required) or any country's borders (so passports and airport security wouldn't be concerns). Even flying from the lands of the Nords into Europe is no small deal, to my limited knowledge.
Last edited by Maxaxle on Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
penguinflyer2222

Hi octy, Purple, Maxle!

I lazily haven't posted anything lately because I don't really have anything to say, but congratulations on real-life stuff or whatever. :)

Anyway here's some drawings, I guess...

First, AoD's sketch of PnP characters that I colored in for some reason (had to make up some of the colors)
Spoiler: Colors
Nanna from Fire Emblem: Thracia 776:
Spoiler: Img
Poppi α from Xenoblade Chronicles 2:
Spoiler: Img
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

That you coloured in my sketch makes me really happy but also rather sad because I already miss those four. :P Your other drawings look great, though! The XC2 one especially, your colouring really pops in that lineless style.
penguinflyer2222

Thanks! I spent a lot of time on that last one.
Here's the full-size version (1400x2200), (very big because I have a hi-dpi display that my drawing program Krita supports, and also because I have a habit of cutting people's feet off if I don't make the canvas bigger)
Though imgur made it a jpg because it was too big apparently, so it looks kind of ugly :P

There's still lines there, just very small and faint, and I've been using a different brush for shading the colors so it's smoother or whatever.

Anyway, I should probably figure out how to draw something somewhat more original, not just straight copying off other artwork, but we'll see, I guess.
(Or I could post drawings of Fire Emblem characters wearing each other's outfits, that's somewhat original right?) :lol: