The totally bestest thread ever (for random stuff)

Anything not related to Egoboo.

Moderator: Developers

woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Re: The totally bestest thread ever (for random stuff)

Post by woodmouse »

Wow... that's awful.
octagon wrote:I hope we didn’t make significant mistakes, and I irrationally hope his assumed victim is alive and well.

and the police called back saying they would send someone to question me later this evening, but no one came here. I also hope they’re taking this seriously.
Judging by what you described, I don't think there's any more you could've done without risking making the situation worse, and it's not irrational to hope. I mean, hope is one of those things that can keep you together even if nothing else can, so holding on to it is probably not a bad idea.

Why wouldn't the police take you seriously? Even if they were incredibly sexist/transphobic/something, you said there were two other people who saw the situation...? Isn't that legally enough for them to be like obliged to question the guy? Can't you go to your nearest police station and report it to their faces? As far as I know, the police generally don't have many eyewitnesses to murders/rapes/assaults/etc. so it'd be logical that they question your credibility, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't believe you if you don't ignore their first ignorance. (Or does it? :shock: )
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

One of the cyclists did most of the report because I've not been living here for too long and thus couldn't describe the location too well, and he sounded experienced, calm and credible, so it's not because of us.
I was kind of confused about the voice I heard though, so I may have not described it too emphatically and the police officer may have thought the issue was just a big-mouthed drunk guy threatening people, which is probably not a super high-priority issue to take care of.

I'm going to call them again today so I can ask if they investigated the issue or at least clarify which wooded area it was.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

My unwanted recommendation: Try to at least appear calm and collected when you talk to them.
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
Seth
Chest Mimic (Community member)
Chest Mimic (Community member)

Post by Seth »

I will be twenty years old to‐morrow. I’m hoping that I’ll be able to obtain a competent graphics card since the one that I currently have (ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500) is from 2008. This has been a long time coming. PAYDAY 2, which I purchased about a month ago, runs very slowly even on the lowest settings, so I can no longer avoid upgrading to a superior graphics card. It will be a sweet relief to stop playing on the feeblest settings for all of my new games.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Lemme make a quick recommendation: Play PAYDAY 1 first. AFAIK it's more balanced.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Seth wrote:I will be twenty years old to‐morrow.
Interesting, I had the impression that you were older than me. I turned 21 in April.
:wink:
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Cimeries wrote:
Interesting, I had the impression that you were older than me. I turned 21 in April.
I actually turned 21 in March, so suddenly I don't feel all that old.

inb4 "Maxle should really act his age", etc.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Maxaxle wrote:
Cimeries wrote:
I actually turned 21 in March, so suddenly I don't feel all that old.
I'll turn 20 in a month and I feel older than the three of you together. :o
Maxaxle wrote:inb4 "Maxle should really act his age", etc.
b4?
http://egoboo.sourceforge.net/phpBB3/vi ... 562#p11562

...ugh, I changed my computer's clock to 2008, but it didn't affect it. Of course, I should've known that, but... but. Well. At least I tried.

PS: Don't take that too seriously. I mean, I don't think anyone thinks you're more immature than me, at least. That's something, right?
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

woodmouse wrote:Oh, ok. I was wondering why he called Maxaxle weirdly... So that was the reason.

Maxle should really act his age, etc.
2008? *head explodes*
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Looks like you caught yourself a serious case of Pulsuncting-old-man-iitis
:wink:
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Cimeries wrote:
Looks like you caught yourself a serious case of Pulsuncting-old-man-iitis
*puts on medical gloves*
*puts on gas mask*
*grabs disinfectant*
Stay away!
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

Man, I'm surprised that it took this long for a spambot/person advertising to register :o
Spoiler: Why did I play 160 turns of this???
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

I feel like I'd like to hear some people's opinions on something... I've probably mentioned at least once sometime in the past that it's one of my dreams to make (short) horror films. The problem has always been that I don't have any "real-life" friends (and I can't imagine any situation where I'd meet any due to my social anxiety and distrust in people in person), so the whole project would be doomed if I intended to start making one, as there'd be no actors... :x

The most frustrating part is that my two childhood best friends aren't at all into the idea. Well, I mean, I know one isn't (we tried to make some short films together when we were like 12, they sucked), he thinks I'm an idiot for even dreaming of something like that... I don't know for sure about the other, but nowadays she's actually an actual somewhat famous actor in theatre, she's studying something and has a job (and we haven't spoken in over a year (besides exchanging "happy new year"), so she'd probably laugh at me and be like "dude wtf u thinking" if I even asked her, since she's really busy and we also tried to make some short films when we were kids. (They, too, sucked.)

Then there's one friend who I planned to make a film with when we were 15-16, and that (along with our band that we had just started) got ruined because his guitar's amplifier and/or effect pedal (not sure which, can't remember) broke because he fell when he was running to a train when we'd planned to meet... and of course, I blamed myself and couldn't stop apologising (he didn't think it was my fault, but... it kinda was) and that pissed him off, or something. We haven't spoken since.

...so, now that I'd really like to make a film (and have some pretty modest ideas that could actually be done, maybe), I don't have anyone to make it with. Somehow hiring actors is absolutely out of the question, since I only have a shitty digital camera and no experience whatsoever, besides I don't even have any plots for stuff planned out properly enough... not to mention that I'm pretty much as poor as a person can be here in Finland without being homeless. (There's like a gap that separates the "officially poor" (like me and my whole family) from the "unofficially poor" (those who are actually poor by international standards, which are basically not even acknowledged to exist by the government.))

Because, I mean, obviously, actors would be necessary. There are no ways around that without having to settle for something less ideal... and if it's something less than ideal, it's not even worth trying.

Now, the question is: how could this be worked around without it being awkward or impossible, and without me having to force myself into social (read: dangerous (in my mind, at least)) situations, or finding random depressed ass people online? Because those are the only ones who'd ever be willing to act in a film by someone who has no experience or skill at all in film-making...

Is there a way? I've tried to think pretty hard about it, but haven't come across any... and it's kinda making me sad, since I'm realising that writing isn't really what I want to do as much as I'd like to do short films or something, as it leaves too much to people's imagination and it'd be a lot simpler to just show something than describe it, if there's a perfectly comprehensible picture in the mind. (Especially if it's something that seems almost irrelevant (like what a room looks like), but isn't.)

I mean, it probably doesn't help that anything that would be done, I'd like to upload to Youtube and that'd be pretty much it... like, doing short "found footage" horror things without any promotion outside the internet, etc. or necessarily even credits/whatever unless someone asked something in particular, etc. Kinda like how there are some of those slendy vlog thingies, but unconnected things without necessarily the "this is absolutely totally real and will be claimed to be such if anyone dares question its authenticity, with fake evidence and lots of promotion to back it up" and whatnot.

...and I mean...

I know there's always the option of making everything so that the things could be done by online collaboration, as in splicing things together in one way or another, which would be nice as well, but the problem with that would be the connection of things. Like, of course some lame ass ghost things could be done that way easily, but anything other than that would be pretty much impossible if it wasn't something involving the internet in the story. :? Besides, no one would ever be up for a thing like that, especially since it'd get so much hate even if it was successful based entirely on the fact that most people on Youtube would be too stupid to realise that it's not supposed to be interpreted as real... you know, the "lol this is fake"-type.

But realistically speaking, the last option is the only way that could ever work out. Then, though, there'd be the problem of "who does what?", since it being divided in "ok I write the whole plot thing with all the lines and stuff and you guys just do whatever you want with that" would be lame and inequal, as would a "everyone does everything" because then it'd most likely not make sense. And there aren't people who'd settle for something that isn't an equal collaboration, if it was a short film that's supposed to be a collaboration where everyone participates for free because of their own interest... in other words, the actor problem comes into play again, no matter what.

Eugghh, sorry about this being so long and rambly, I just... ugh. :curse:
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

Hey guys. I've been checking here every now and then but I never seem to be 'on time' to participate in any sort of meaningful discussion, so I've not posted.
Figured I'd toot my own horn a little and show off some of the art I've very much still been honing. :)
If you're interested in putting up with all the lame crap I write and/or draw I'm still posting on my Facebook page.
You can alternatively add my account here if you want.
Spoiler: Arts and stuff
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Agent of Dread wrote:Hey guys.
Hey! :D
Agent of Dread wrote:I've been checking here every now and then but I never seem to be 'on time' to participate in any sort of meaningful discussion, so I've not posted.
You totally should post more often, I'm sure everyone's missed you. You're one of those people who still kept this forum alive when Egoboo was dying, and like... well, at least I think you're cool. (And I'm sure there's no one who doesn't agree.)
Agent of Dread wrote:Figured I'd toot my own horn a little and show off some of the art I've very much still been honing. :)
Wtf, you've gotten even better! Seriously, your things are like... I don't know what word to use, but they're pretty damn awesome. Even more than they used to be. It's like, you keep getting better and better, until one day your art will be so good that it'll... I don't even know, take over the world or something. And you're famous. :o

A-and unrelated, b-but... m-maybe one day... t-the d-development of Egoboo w-will b-be... c-continued...

EDIT: I... I tried to make a short film. It k-kinda failed... badly, and it's shorter than any short film ever, but well...