The totally bestest thread ever (for random stuff)

Anything not related to Egoboo.

Moderator: Developers

woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Re: The totally bestest thread ever (for random stuff)

Post by woodmouse »

Wow, so, judging by the stuff that that Serge guy and 5234 have been posting, is the development of Egoboo continuing again? :o Or am I just delusional and reading between the lines? Because, like, seriously, if it is, I'M GONNA EAT AN ALIEN STARFISH AND GET EXPLOSIVE RAINBOW DIARRHOEA. :D In my best pants. With lasers.
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

All I'm doing is answering questions.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

penguinflyer5234 wrote:All I'm doing is answering questions.
Well, yeah, but that's how pretty much even all the largest-scale things in all of known human history started, isn't it? :P
Seth
Chest Mimic (Community member)

Post by Seth »

Goodness, it’s almost been a year since I posted. So, I feel like I should explain myself. I’ve been blowing a lot of time on imageboards, brony ones mostly, and though I was enjoying them for a while, I was becoming quite tired of the bad users, bad humour, hatred, rage, perversion, and especially the bad politics. I left one bad forum and returned to the other, and while I enjoyed it again at first, I started to realize that it’s like the other one, only not quite as bad. I’m tempted to leave that forum since it’s becoming a rageahol dispenser like the previous one, but 1.) I’m not certain where to go (maybe AVEN or, heck, even Wrongplanet) and 2.) there’re a few people that I like who post regularly over there (tho’ admittedly I can contact them privately now). There was as a political forum of like‐minded people that I mostly enjoyed posting on, but they banned me for my support of a taboo which I probably shouldn’t mention here. Sometimes I feel like I’m completely unique in every way, and there’s nobody just like me out there. It’s a sad and lonely feeling.

Why am I telling you this? Well, when I was trying to sleep earlier to relax, I realized that you are one of the least offensive fora that I’ve had the pleasure of joining. My only gripes with this forum are that it tends to be quiet and it’s not well populated, but I’d definitely rather have that than the rageahol fountains with which I’ve been hurting myself for the past several seasons. The worst that I remember is that I got into a linguistic argument with a German poster here, but it was not too nasty and I’m certainly not bitter about it. I never had to worry about political arguments, hatred, perversion, or stupid insults here. I swear to goodness that I would post here more if there were more activity, but this game’s development has long been frozen for reasons which are not obvious to me. Still, I have some nice memories of this forum; it’s so much more comfortable for me here than the imageboards that I’ve been posting on. You are a bleedin’ good community, and I thank you so much for your civility & gentility.
Maxaxle
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by Maxaxle »

Seth wrote:I realized that you are one of the least offensive fora that I’ve had the pleasure of joining.
Seth wrote:one of
Well then what's *the* least offensive forum you've ever been on? Also: We're flattered!...Sort of.
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

I half-surprised you remember Shade being German :o
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

Seth wrote:but this game’s development has long been frozen for reasons which are not obvious to me.
Basically, the guys who used to work on it (people like Zefz and birdsey) seem to be too busy with their own lives to come here anymore (people move on with things, nothing you can do about that), and the other people who tried to carry on didn't get very far due to a combination of lack of knowledge and the source code of the game being an utter and complete mess. Eventually, we just came to the conclusion that rather than trying to further overhaul Egoboo, we might as well just make a completely new game from scratch if we were to ever go that far.

I'm also surprised you remember our argument. I don't even quite remember what it was about, but it was probably something silly when I was having a bad day, haha.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

It was about "and" vs "&" in typed sentences.
There was also a small thing about "&" vs "et" (as one character; there seems to be no Unicode representation).
Seth

Post by Seth »

Maxaxle wrote:Well then what's *the* least offensive forum you've ever been on? Also: We're flattered!...Sort of.
There was an Animal Crossing forum that I joined many years ago. Being a family forum, gentility is expected. I was probably banned from there; I couldn’t figure out how to log in. It was not particularly memorable.

That was almost certainly the first forum that I joined. I joined a less gentle forum about Halo 2 (even though I never played it; I lied that I did), and another, much less gentle one that I’d rather not discuss here. Being a naïve adolescent, I lied a lot and copied ideas from other people to look cool. Now that I’m mature, I have learnt not to lie so much. I suppose that I have learnt some things, however dolourously.

I’m hesitant to call this a family forum, but you lot are still pretty gentle.
penguinflyer5234 wrote:I half-surprised you remember Shade being German :o
I knew few things about him: he likes animé, he wanted to learn Japanese, and he’s German. I couldn’t remember his name.
Shade wrote:[words]
Ah, that make sense. Honestly, I was a little worried that maybe they passed away, but that’s needlessly pessimistic. I hope that they ha’n’t totally lost interest in the project. I myself can’t code to save my life, so I’m not sure if there exists much that I can do to help you lot.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Seth!
Seth wrote:Goodness, it’s almost been a year since I posted.
You and your cute ass fox avatar have been missed. Any coincidence leading to the interpretation of the term "cute ass" as referring to your buttocks is unintentional and is not meant to be seen as an argument for or against the aesthetics of your butt. The reason I used the words "cute ass" is that simply saying "cute fox avatar" sounds like an understatement both about the cuteness of the fox avatar and the importance of the previous statement about you as a person having been missed.
Seth wrote:Sometimes I feel like I’m completely unique in every way, and there’s nobody just like me out there. It’s a sad and lonely feeling.
I think I know how you feel, although for me it's only because of my stupid sense of humour and carefree open-mindedness regarding music, religion and sexuality. Apparently, a lot of people don't think a lot of things are acceptable that don't really make sense to not be acceptable, but well.
Seth wrote:you are one of the least offensive fora that I’ve had the pleasure of joining
That's true, especially if you consider that practically every time anyone here comes across as offensive, it's because of either language barriers or misunderstandings. Unless it's me... then you should blame the misanthropophilic concupiscence of incandescent pink unicorns. :teach: Seriously, though, I just have a lame sense of humour. Don't take anything I say seriously, unless it's about hoping for some sort of a reinspiration about Egoboo. Not that you'd be offended by anything I say, but you know; better be safe than sorry, and I just wanted to mention pink unicorns.
Seth wrote:I never had to worry about political arguments, hatred, perversion, or stupid insults here. [...] You are a bleedin’ good community, and I thank you so much for your civility & gentility.
So, you forgot all about my stupid insults! :D Did I ever actually insult you? I feel like I did, but I'm not sure? If I did, I apologise as sincerely as I can.
Seth wrote:Being a naïve adolescent, I lied a lot and copied ideas from other people to look cool. Now that I’m mature, I have learnt not to lie so much.
We've all been there, m8.

i seriously just said m8

with an 8

kill me
Seth

Post by Seth »

woodmouse wrote:Seth!
Oh my. That was quite inexpected.
woodmouse wrote:You and your cute ass fox avatar have been missed. Any coincidence leading to the interpretation of the term "cute ass" as referring to your buttocks is unintentional and is not meant to be seen as an argument for or against the aesthetics of your butt. The reason I used the words "cute ass" is that simply saying "cute fox avatar" sounds like an understatement both about the cuteness of the fox avatar and the importance of the previous statement about you as a person having been missed.
(Yes, I know that that word was meant to be an intensifier.)

Yeah, I was using Dan from Dan Vs for a while, but I haven’t seen the show in a while. It’s not that I dislike the show, I just lost some interest.
woodmouse wrote: I think I know how you feel, although for me it's only because of my stupid sense of humour and carefree open-mindedness regarding music, religion and sexuality. Apparently, a lot of people don't think a lot of things are acceptable that don't really make sense to not be acceptable, but well.
My sense of humour is difficult to describe since it seems rather incoherent. I can enjoy most types of music except kid’s music. I’m an atheist, but I’m not an antitheist since I think that the concept of antitheism is wrongly founded. And the things which I find sexually unattractive conflict with almost everybody’s tastes. I could probably elaborate, but preferably not here in public.
woodmouse wrote: That's true, especially if you consider that practically every time anyone here comes across as offensive, it's because of either language barriers or misunderstandings. Unless it's me... then you should blame the misanthropophilic concupiscence of incandescent pink unicorns. :teach: Seriously, though, I just have a lame sense of humour. Don't take anything I say seriously, unless it's about hoping for some sort of a reinspiration about Egoboo. Not that you'd be offended by anything I say, but you know; better be safe than sorry, and I just wanted to mention pink unicorns.
I dun really know what your sense of humour is like, but ‘lame’ humour sounds to me like it relates to bodily emissions.

Also, what does ‘misanthropophilic’ mean?
woodmouse wrote: So, you forgot all about my stupid insults! :D Did I ever actually insult you? I feel like I did, but I'm not sure? If I did, I apologise as sincerely as I can.
I dun remember them, no. That’s usually a good sign, since horrible memories stay in my mind much longer than petty ones. It has to do with the anti‐depressants that I am consuming, now. They make me spend less time dwelling on unwanted memories.
woodmouse wrote: We've all been there, m8.
That’s relieving to know. Some people are pretty harsh on others no matter what their age is.
woodmouse wrote:
i seriously just said m8

with an 8

kill me
I’d rather not.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Seth wrote:Also, what does ‘misanthropophilic’ mean?
Misanthropophilia is when you're sexually aroused by the hated of humans. It comes from the Greek words "miso-" (hatred), "anthropos" (human) and "-philia" (love), practically simply derived from "misanthropy" and the suffix for abnormal sexual preferences. Of course, it's not in any dictionary, but that doesn't make it any less of a real word usable in the English language. :mrgreen:

I've actually sort of been planning to start a blog that'd be like a dictionary for weird words, especially ones that are confusing and/or paradoxical, but I'm not really enthusiastic enough about the idea to run a blog like that just by myself... especially since I couldn't come up with a good name for it.
Seth wrote:That’s relieving to know. Some people are pretty harsh on others no matter what their age is.
Yeah, there are people out there that don't understand the concept of mental ageing. They think everyone's born out of their mum's bellybutton like Einstein on steroids, even though they themselves tend to be dumber than a backwards muscle. Besides, it's not like being immature is always a bad thing, especially if you're old enough to accept that you're not as young as you'd like to be; I mean, I'd love to be fifteen again, but that's just not going to happen, so there's really no reason to stress over it, right? :P So, even if someone is being a total douchedalf at you, it's good to remember that sooner or later all douchedalves end up realising that they've been wasting their time on douchy things when they could've spent it on less douchy things, meaning that they've become Gandalf without the things that make Gandalf epic; where Gandalf has a beard of wisdom, they have a neckbeard of boredom, etc.
Seth

Post by Seth »

woodmouse, are you already interested in linguistics? I myself am interested in a wide variety of linguistic topics, as vocabulary, lexicography, grammar, orthography, phonology, etymology, orthology, punctuation &c. It is incommon to find a linguistic on Internet fora since (according to an English friend) linguistics is a relatively obscure field. I’d love to ask you some questions.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Seth wrote:woodmouse, are you already interested in linguistics? I myself am interested in a wide variety of linguistic topics, as vocabulary, lexicography, grammar, orthography, phonology, etymology, orthology, punctuation &c. It is incommon to find a linguistic on Internet fora since (according to an English friend) linguistics is a relatively obscure field. I’d love to ask you some questions.
Well, yeah, I've sort of been interested in linguistics (and other stuff) for a while, but it's only because I like to use weird and confusing words, which is mostly because I like to write confusing lyrics when I make music and stuff. I don't know/care any more about how languages actually work than anyone who's only once seen a dictionary in real life, though, so I'm not nearly as smart as you probably are when it comes to things like this.
Seth

Post by Seth »

Are you talking about (relatively) obscure words in English or Finnish? Or are you referring more to protologisms or neologisms?