The totally bestest thread ever (for random stuff)

Anything not related to Egoboo.

Moderator: Developers

octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Re: The totally bestest thread ever (for random stuff)

Post by octagon »

woodmouse wrote:So I went to Wikipedia again, and... and. What.
To use a horse to show that a horse is not a horse is not as good as using a non-horse to show that a horse is not a horse. ~Zhuangzi
Intermetamorphosis wrote:After some time he mistook his wife for his deceased mother and later for his sister.
Oh, that... I vaguely remember that from philosophy class, though not as well as I should.

Possibly obvious hint of the day: If you're anything like me, never read your own old posts even from a year ago unless you wanna cringe.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

octagon wrote:Possibly obvious hint of the day: If you're anything like me, never read your own old posts even from a year ago unless you wanna cringe.
Heh, yeah... I don't really remember what you were like, other than the way you're now, but maybe my memory is just crap. But... I know I was like ARGGGH EW, wtf :roll:

Another thing...
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

octagon wrote: Possibly obvious hint of the day: If you're anything like me, never read your own old posts even from a year ago unless you wanna cringe.
The embarrassment would probably kill me if I found my first-ever post on a forum.
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Maxaxle wrote: The embarrassment would probably kill me if I found my first-ever post on a forum.
My inability to form a proper sentence was pretty embarrassing when I first registered, I think. :o And damn, I was a huge spammer and a total duck. :ack:
Which is why I apologise for the way I was when I first registered. Thanks, everyone, for not banning me and stuff when I did those quadruple posts, messed the word order in practically every post beyond all literal recognition, etc. and whatnot.

...and I still have dreams about doing stuff to Egoboo, posting them on the forums, being told to stop triple posting, etc. but that it's cool stuff, and then someone else doing that, and I got happiness-shiver-things and was like "omfg that's so epic" about things, etc. and... we all were like that, right? So what happened? I can't be the only one who misses that, really, like, I keep ranting about it all the time, but... but no one ever agrees? Where's the nostalgia! Is it dead? :(

So.

I propose an attempt at fixing the "atmosphere" that we seem to be lacking, with a little nostalgic motivation-raiser thingy: what if we used the old forum again and dug up 2.22/some other old version from the depths of the internet, for a certain period of time? Say, a month. See how it works out. Maybe the problems actually strengthened the "familiarity" people developed, and it could blossom again. Like, it couldn't hurt anyone, now could it? :)

...and I miss Zefz, Birdsey, Cimeries, Purple, 2222, Hiroy, etc.

And this quote:
Hiroy wrote:I wonder if there's a place that has them somewhere hidden on the net.
I'm still wondering about it.

EDIT: I deleted the conspiracy theory thingy about an anti-Egoboo whatever, I'm never going to bring it up again (at least intentionally). Just ignore it.
Last edited by woodmouse on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

octagon wrote:
woodmouse wrote:So I went to Wikipedia again, and... and. What.
To use a horse to show that a horse is not a horse is not as good as using a non-horse to show that a horse is not a horse. ~Zhuangzi
Hempel's Raven, is it?

"I am smart, and I am not everybody else, so therefore everybody else is not smart."
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Agent of Dread wrote:"I am smart, and I am not everybody else, so therefore everybody else is not smart."
O,äösdSDFMA,weåWÖFMÖWDF;ÖDF:ÄsdfÄWE my brain just all over the place.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

*blows dust off thread*
woodmouse wrote:
Agent of Dread wrote:"I am smart, and I am not everybody else, so therefore everybody else is not smart."
O,äösdSDFMA,weåWÖFMÖWDF;ÖDF:ÄsdfÄWE my brain just all over the place.
:?
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

octagon wrote:practical use of preventing hair from getting under the earmuffs, because that's unexpectedly obnoxious.
That's why I cut all the hair from the sides of my head, at least in the summer... but it looks weird on some people, so if that matters, dunno. But yeah, it gets annoying, especially if it's hot and the hairs get sweaty, and then the ears get sweaty, and they rub together, and then you just kinda take them off and they're sticky and gross and you don't really know what to do with them.

I can also post atrocious posts, whee.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

*gives the thread a hearty shove*
That should keep it moving for at least a week.

So, piece of advice for anyone with a 'stache or beard: don't shave it off if you hate being confused about what you look like. If you DO shave it off, don't absentmindedly grab for it, you'll only look foolish.
PurpleSquerkle
Massive Gelfeet (Developer)

Post by PurpleSquerkle »

Damn, woodmouse; your English has gotten really good. It's... kind of trippy to read your posts, actually.

I was thinking of this place today for whatever reason and decided to stop by. Where are all you cats on the internet these days? If you're on Steam or Twitter you should let me know so I can add you. I know I'm friends with 5234, Maxaxle, and AoD on one thing or another already... but we could be friends on EVERYTHING. And also, there's still the rest of you who I'm not friends with on anything yet.

I have a new album dropping soon; it's been in the (very slow) works since I released my first 2 1/2 years ago, so I'm pretty excited about it. I also have another I've been working on just as long, but I still have quite a lot of work to do on that one, so it will still be a long while before it's ready.
Anyway, I'll be sure to let you all know when the first is out! For the first couple weeks or so after its release, it will be free.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Tumblr: http://maxaxle88.tumblr.com/
Facebook: (eh, just bug me over Tumblr or Steam)
PurpleSquerkle

Post by PurpleSquerkle »

Ohhh I forgot; I'm on Tumblr, too -- right now I just have one post of me being a raging feminist over Dota 2's character design, but I hope to post more things once my new album drops.
[redacted — dead link]

& my Twitter's in my signature, btw.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

I don't internets much these days because I arm and repair attack helicopters all day.
I do have an email thingey at bennatew[at]gmail[dot]com. I also have whatsapp on my phone, if anyone wants to chat over that just PM me for my number.
:wink:
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Cimeries wrote:I arm and repair attack helicopters all day.
So, job satisfaction or binge drinking?

Was digging into Tropes some more (after snagging Blockland; not sure if that was a good idea) and apparently there's a trope that we seem to avoid: Eternal September. The trope comes from the idea that every September, on BBSs of the '80s, loads of newbs would invade the BBSs and overwhelm the older members. Eventually AOL turned this flood into the norm, bringing us into the Internet we have today. Any opinions on the effect/trope? I know I'm not a fan (though a steady stream of fresh members or the occasional membership explosion would be fine by me).
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Yay, Purple! It's been so long! If you don't mind a potentially disturbing variation on the traditional handshake, it's a pleasure to squeeze your squerkle! :D As long as your squerkle is located above the bellybutton and isn't shaped like a square. Squeezing a square would be painful.

And since we're on the subject of sites we're on, my Tumblr is: http://vlyrch.tumblr.com, but I mostly reblog random things and post my music and sometimes my attempts at art. I won't bother linking to my Twitter, since I only complain about not being able to rap and swear like an illiterate guy trying to solve a crossword puzzle there. :P