Touhou

Anything not related to Egoboo.

Moderator: Developers

octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Re: Touhou

Post by octagon »

How do you manage to depict the characters' signature expressions this well?

The wallpaper reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on what… The World Ends With You (with less conic people) meets Gorillaz album art meets Dr. Seuss?? No, that's not quite it :ß

Here's some of my favourite Touhou fan art: (I'm linking to Zerochan since I can't navigate Pixiv, and for the sake of keeping things SFW, Danbooru is not an option)

Amazing panoramic pictures with great colouring: [1] [2] [3] [4]
Awesome effect whatchamacallits: [1] [2]
Weirdly surreal atmosphere: [1]
Adorable chibi art with non-clashing colours: [1] [2]
I generally love this person's style, and they have my favourite way of drawing Sakuya and Meiling: [1] [2] [3] [4]
There's probably a name for this method of whatever (to me it seems like swirling, not drawing), but I don't know: [1]
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

Uh... luck? :P

Prepare your ears for an hour and a half of epic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyBamiPO ... ure=relmfu
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Whoah, I got somewhere in between Star of David and Scarlet Netherworld (I hate Scarlet Netherworld.) on Normal on just one continue! :o
http://www.mediafire.com/?5hmg5wvmavh379n

Watch me fly into bullets during the stages by accident way too many times. :D

...Bet you anything you want I'd have been in the complete clear if I'd gotten to Netherworld and just bombed the crap out of it, too... the rest of her cards are nothing if not manageable.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Wow, playing as solo!Marisa in IN and trying to stay unfocused as much as possible to actually -get- time points is really exhiliaratingly challenging, and occasionally quite liberating. :D
I managed to catch Wriggle and Keine's Last Spells, which was quite nice. (I didn't get a chance to try any of the other characters', but I was close for Reimu. Her very last spellcard is crazy awesome.)

I still like PCB better though. :P
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

Oh yeah, just saw this:
Agent of Dread wrote:Sucks how the PCB extra stages force you to use the lasers. :P
They don't, actually; you can use any character and any shot type you've 1cc'd the game with for Extra, and any character you've beaten Extra with for Phantasm. (Which is why I cannot access Phantasm at all, haha.)
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Ohhhhhh, that makes much more sense.
I've tried both Extra and Phantasm (since the saves the download I got shipped with already had them unlocked), and I actually made a slight headway into Ran on the extra. He just eats me on phantasm. xD
Shade

Post by Shade »

Agent of Dread wrote:He
Ran, like pretty much any other character in Touhou, is female, actually.
Ran's first spellcard slaughters me, I always mess it up despite knowing how it works. The few times I make it past it, however, I do get her down to 3 or 4 spellcards remaining.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Dying more in PCB because I'm trying to play as much of it unfocused as possible while on Marisa A is making me extremely frustrated a lot more often. :I
Also, suddenly I seem to be starting with only two lives, which is weird because I don't remember hitting a setting for that.
Shade

Post by Shade »

You always start with three lives (two stars) by default. If you have a different amount, check your options, you can set your starting lives there (although while setting them to more than three will give you a massive penalty to your score, setting them lower won't give you a bonus).
The amount of bombs per life, on the other hand, depends on the character chosen in PCB. Marisa gets two, Reimu gets the standard three, Sakuya gets four.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

EoSD is frustrating because no matter what, all your mistakes are stupid ones. I have no idea why it is that when I play EoSD, I'm never really looking at my character. The hitbox focus I'd give while playing PCB or IN just... isn't there. AND I DIE A LOT. :x
Shade

Post by Shade »

EoSD is frustrating because it doesn't forgive those stupid little mistakes. It's extremely stingy with resources, so naturally, wasting a bunch of those resources with an accidental death while you're still carrying two unused bombs or something will come back to mightily bite you in the ass later in this game.
Even now that I'm really good at EoSD, I have yet to beat the game with more than one extra life and three bombs left. On Normal.

Also note that the hitbox for the big bubble projectiles Koakuma, Patchouli and Remilia use is actually (almost) as large as it looks, unlike in the later games. If you're aware of this, the spells they use it in are much more managable.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I had actually been having more bubble trouble (giggle) in Yuyuko's segments with them in PCB, but then again I was probably just angry and unfocused then too. :P

It's crazy how I'll always rocket off to a great start quickly gaining up to six or seven lives, but then proceed to lose all of them over the next stage and a half tops. :I
Shade

Post by Shade »

That's perfectly normal in EoSD, actually. I usually cap out my lives with the extra life dropped by Midboss!Sakuya in Stage 5, then proceed to start losing them to the bosses following that point. Or sometimes, when I'm not fully paying attention, I lose a life to Patchy beforehand.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

If I'm inattentive, the first one goes in Stage Stage 3, and more follow to Patchy. Sylphae Horn is occasionally troublesome in the same way as Foggy London Dolls is, but luckily both bosses' last spellcards are a lot easier to deal with.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Yay Reisen