Moderator: Developers

octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Re: Touhou

Post by octagon »

Agent of Dread wrote:Sakura
WHY YOU

Misdirection is fun as hell too, actually. It's a counterintuitive troll spellcard though, kind of like Yuugi's "Knockout in Three Steps" in Touhou 11: Sakuya aims knives to the left and right of your position, but not directly at you. Move as little as possible while she throws them, and you'll only have to dodge the non-"antistreaming" knives.

Star of David is rather easy if you stay at a certain position in the lower left - I actually caught it by pure luck.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

I managed to catch the first 'time-stop' spellcard for 820000 or something, and I am getting better at all of Meilin's. Patchy's still a sore spot for me, though - or rather, her stage.
EDIT: Oh, you're right - Star of David isn't so bad if you stay near the bottom. I managed to catch Eternal Meek on practise, too. :D
Curse of Vlad Tepes looked sweet but I didn't get far into it before I lost that last life. Remilia's not too bad so far really.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

Agent of Dread wrote:Remilia's not too bad so far really.
Remilia indeed is a fairly easy Final boss for Touhou standards. On Normal, at least.
Then come Hard and Lunatic, which in 6, 7 and 8 replace most spellcards with altogether different ones. :/
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Damn those little fairies that explosively spurt rings of projectiles all over the screen in stages 5 and 6. They use more bombs than the bosses do. D:
Shade

Post by Shade »

Only if you try to get all the point items they drop.
Which is tempting, I admit, but if you play carefully you can get past them without bombs.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Oh hey, I got through EoSD on Normal! I managed to get up to Curse of Vlad before using my last Continue, and that was just a silly mistake. The curved patterns are really cool.
Scarlet Strike or whatever it is is misleadingly difficult. I'll have to remember to just forget about hitting Remilia during it next time. :P

EDIT: I HATE YOU MISDIRECTION!
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

So I played Perfect Cherry Blossom for the first time just now, Marisa B on Normal. I also finished Perfect Cherry Blossom for the first time just now.
You were right when you said it was relatively easy! :P Although Yuyuko's Last Spell or whatever it is is nuts.
Also Youmu is new favourite character!
octagon

Post by octagon »

Agent of Dread wrote:Oh hey, I got through EoSD on Normal! I managed to get up to Curse of Vlad before using my last Continue, and that was just a silly mistake. The curved patterns are really cool.
Agent of Dread wrote:So I played Perfect Cherry Blossom for the first time just now, Marisa B on Normal. I also finished Perfect Cherry Blossom for the first time just now.
Congratulations :)
Marisa B on Normal
Oxymoron. Perfect Cherry Blossom with Marisa is always hard.
Agent of Dread wrote:Also Youmu is new favourite character!
Yes, Youmu is amazing. For extra fun, try playing the Youmu/Yuyuko team in Imperishable Night - they both have weird and clunky shot types that for the most part make the game much harder, but their antics and their whole dialogue are quite hilarious.

I finished PCB a few weeks ago... at first I 1cc'd it on Easy, and it was so much fun that I beat it twice on Normal right after. Oh, and it was 4:30 AM or something. Somehow, it being dark outside and everyone else sleeping kind of further enhanced the atmosphere.
When I first tried it (which was shortly after I started with EoSD), I didn't like it because I still relatively sucked and always got a game over at the fourth stage, and stage 1-4 still feel like a filler to me, even though I like Alice and Chen (maybe it's just the overly cheerful and fairly generic atmosphere). Additionally, the art is horrible even by ZUN standards. But stage 5 with all its bullet time and badassery and the whole concentrated awesomeness of stage 6 (seriously, THE MUSIC!! And the cherry petals! And the butterflies! And the ghosts! And the big badass fan thing!) are the most epic thing I've seen so far in Touhou.
Last edited by octagon on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Grats, AoD.
octagon wrote:Oxymoron. Perfect Cherry Blossom with Marisa is always hard.
Only if you think you can get away with spamming bombs, because you can't. However, Marisa A has by far the strongest shot type, making her the best character in PCB if you don't need a lot of bombs.
octagon

Post by octagon »

How are those bats throwing knives at me? And is "vampirish" even a word?
octagon

Post by octagon »

Today I made another attempt a MoF Normal 1CC. This was my most successful run this far, but I panicked at stage 4 despite knowing that there are gaps between the danmaku streams about half the size of the screen, and subsequently wasted everything. The main problem compared to, say, Perfect Cherry Blossom, appears to be that it's harder to assess whether you're about to get hit... Still, I was doing a halfway decent job at Aya and Sanae considering it was the first time I beat them in normal mode.
The practice I got from Shoot the Bullet came in extremely handy, especially when one of Aya's spellcards turned out to be a much easier version of Keine's "Hollyhock Sign ~ Mito no Mitsukuni" (or something) card.
But I got a game over at stage 6 in the stupidest manner imaginable. I flew backwards into a stray bullet directly before Kanako's entrance. Replay
I didn't make a full second attempt because I got killed by Broken Amulet and ragequit. I hate that spellcard.

I pretty much hit my limit at Shoot the Bullet. Level 6 was already on the ridiculous side, but by now I cleared about half of it. I feel offended by level 7 and 8 though - they're pretty beyond my abilities.
I have four of Patchouli's and Meiling's scenes left too - Patchouli is a massive troll, and Meiling keeps smashing me with her unusually physical combat style.
octagon

Post by octagon »

The false sense of security you get from superficially knowing all spellcards and patterns in a game is what I hate the most right now (until I remember "Think and act fast" and Stalagmite Ruins). Yesterday I almost managed to Normal 1cc Perfect Cherry Blossom (I got a game over at Yuyuko's last pre-reflowering spellcard, and I would've won if not for an incredibly stupid moment where I lost my concentration after a dumb and unexpected Youmu death and died two more times in direct succession), but today I just kept screwing up everything and dying in the situations where I least expect it.
octagon

Post by octagon »

How exactly does getting two life bits from one red UFO work?
Shade

Post by Shade »

The UFO drops one immediately once it has collected enough items (the circle around it shows how full it is - once the circle is full, the UFO's point multiplier has reached its maximum and the bonus item is dropped), and another one when you destroy it, for a total of two.

It works similarly for green UFOs, except that instead of another bomb piece, it drops a full bomb once it reaches item satiation.

Rainbow UFOs drop another UFO token upon reaching item satiation.

Blue UFOs are jerks and drop nothing.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Hah. I finished UFO on Easy with Sanae B. On easy mode, continuing in stage 6 seems to be actually viable - with all the green ufos in stage 6, no-death clearing Byakuren seems like something even I could pull off.
I didn't expect the dialogue between Sanae and Byakuren and the bad ending to be ...like this... though, after how Sanae previously acted.
I can't be assed to play on normal mode, because the interaction of UFOs with bosses completely throws me off, and I have to practice UFO management before I can handle UFOs combined with denser bullet patterns, but I'll try an Easy 1cc (C'mon! It's easy mode! I should be able to do this!). In this run I had to retry stage 5 after stage 3's enemies, Ichirin's nonspells and one of Unzan's cards caught me by surprise, mangled me and took away most of my six-ish lives, constantly leaving me with 0-1 lives.

By the way, I like how the item drop from stage 4 mid-boss Nue apparently works. You get an extend or bomb depending on which kind of UFO you're carrying, right?