Hello there (long paragraph)

This is the welcome and goodbye section for the community. New members should introduce themselves here, read the rules and get free cookies!

Moderator: Developers

General Public
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Hello there (long paragraph)

Post by General Public »

Hi I am new here, I have played other free software games and I found this new one on sourceforge.net, Egoboo. Anyway I joined this forum so I could comment in one of the bug report threads, and also comment on the game in other parts of these forums. Basically, 2.8.x versions all crash on startup for me (just like a bunch of other people in one of the threads in the forum on bug reports), so I'll go into more detail on that there. Secondly, seems like a great game, it'd be nice if a new version came out that worked on my computer the way the pre-2.8.x versions work without crashing on startup (2.7.4 works fine and I think it's the latest pre-2.8.x version, even though you have a 2.7.7 that came out way earlier. Looks like your version numbers were going up normally, then jumped from 2.4.4b up to 2.7.5 and continued up to 2.7.7, then went DOWN to 2.6.0, then worked their way back up to 2.7.4, then skipped to 2.8.0, and the latest version is 2.9.0 release candidate 1. And that's a little weird, don't quite understand what that's about. Anyway the blog of the game, it points out enhancements in version 2.8.2 beta, about how there's a better inventory system and how there's better pathfinding for the AI. I've noticed in version 2.7.4, playing it so far, that both of those are problems, the inventory and the AI's bad pathfinding, so good job on how you improved both of those, just please find a way to fix 2.8.x so they don't crash on startup. And yes I have the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributable installed correctly. I think the real issue is maybe the newer versions, 2.8.x, might not work on Windows XP, maybe they only work on Windows Vista and newer, have you thought of that? Anyway, I'll post more about that sort of thing in the bug section. Also it seems to be a great game although it's a bit hard. I did figure out how to edit setup.txt to set it up for a widescreen resolution, and although my monitor is 1920x1080, I don't get good performance with Egoboo if it's at such a high resolution, so I run it at the resolution 1280x720, which is exactly 2/3 the width and 2/3 the height of the monitor. And I get really good performance at that resolution, works fine. However the game is a bit too hard, maybe just because it's a new game for me, maybe I might get used to it. There doesn't seem to be a tutorial or much in the way of help files or documentation to explain how to play the game, mostly I have to figure it out myself... and I can't find walkthroughs or cheats or anything. I am playing it in easy mode, and so far I did manage to beat the Adventurer starting module. I guess the next thing to do is the Elf starting module? So I've tried it and it's way too hard, the dude has like no hitpoints, the enemies are all strong, and it takes forever to kill just one of them, mostly all I can do is jump around to try and avoid them, it's crazy. So ya, I got 2.7.4 workin', just confused as to... as to a whole bunch of things, really. This game doesn't have any cheat codes does it? If it had those I could like, not be dying all the time, and maybe have an easier time of figuring out how to do this. Yes I know, I respawn if I die. But in the Adventurer thing, if either of the 2 people with you got killed, they don't respawn, it seems only the main character does. That kinda sucks but I guess you all want this game to be challenging. Anyway as for your graphics and the sound and music, I think that's all really nice, better than a lot of free software games I've played, good work on all that, although I do occasionally hear a bit of a staticky white-noise sound with the music for some reason, you know, like the sound when your radio is tuned in between stations and you just get static, there's a little bit of that sound in the music sometimes. But overall great game, very challenging so far, especially given the lack of any walkthrough or cheat codes and with me having to figure out everything for myself. I just wish the 2.8.x versions didn't crash on startup for me as well as other folks who have had that error and posted in a bug thread about it. I'll post a screenshot in that thread and some more details.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Re: Hello there (long paragraph)

Post by Agent of Dread »

I'm not so in-tune with the technical side of stuff, but I noticed you talking about the 'order':
There's no order to the Starter modules. Once you finish one, you can use that character in the other modules, accessed by loading your character as opposed to starting a new one. Most of those will unlock subsequent modules upon completion.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

Dying in the starters once or twice doesn't do much harm, and (I think) is kind of expected... at that point, losing a fraction of your XP is not so bad, and you can just pick the items back up.
In Adventurer Starter, Mim can heal you and Brom. Try to pick up the Missile spellbook before confronting the trogs - they're threatening for your AI allies, but weakening them with a ranged attack like Magic Missile is very effective and greatly improves your chance of defeating them.
In the Elf Starter you can use one of the spellbooks you start with to transform into a Lumpkin, which will cause the other lumpkins to consider you one of them, so they will only attack you if they saw you fight one of them, and allow you to use their tools (including the gonne and beartraps!).
While you're rather helpless as an elf without his favoured tools (spellbooks, bows, and arguably strong, swift melee weapons like a katana), lumpkins are kind of clumsy. If you hit them, they're usually stunned long enough to hit them before they can get back up, and they tend to drop their weapons as well. Combined with the claw's ability to hit multiple enemies, this means that you can stunlock a group of lumpkins that rushed at you without much trouble. Also, you can run up to the gonne-wielding lumpkin and circle around him in melee.
General Public
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by General Public »

Agent of Dread wrote:I'm not so in-tune with the technical side of stuff, but I noticed you talking about the 'order':
There's no order to the Starter modules. Once you finish one, you can use that character in the other modules, accessed by loading your character as opposed to starting a new one. Most of those will unlock subsequent modules upon completion.
How do you play other modules beside a starter module? I only seem to know how to do starter modules (i.e., start out as a new character of a type like Adventurer, Elf, etc.). After I beat a starter module it saves a character apparently but I don't know how I can use the character after that. There is a thing for loading characters but the menu just has these icons and not any words or anything and none of the icons say what they do if you click on them so I'm a little confused.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

2.8.1 (I'm sure 2.7.4 has the same screen) has a character name and four icons, the four icons correspond with which control scheme that player will use. They are Keyboard, Mouse, Joy 1, and Joy 2. Just click on an icon next to a character you wish to use and select your module!
General Public
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by General Public »

Thanks I have figured that out, what the icons are, now I know how to load saved players and play the non-starter modules. ALMOST everything is working in 2.7.4 and I have beat both the Adventurer and Elf starters and now I've decided to go on to the Sand Palace.

But the Sand Palace puzzle doesn't work in version 2.7.4! Apparently there was a binary released after 2.7.4 where that was fixed, prior to all the changes that went into 2.8.x, so maybe that would work on my computer, since I can't run 2.8.x. Or is there a version earlier than 2.7.4 that is very stable with almost no bugs? I think I have read on the forums that version 2.6.8 is supposedly very stable and bug-free, would you recommend I switch to that, or is 2.7.4 playable enough to work fine? I can get all the versions of it here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/egoboo/ ... 32-bit%29/ Anyway the Sand Palace seems to be the first dungeon after the starter modules, and I don't think you can progress further in the game unless you beat it. So being stuck in the Sand Palace because of that bug means I am kind of stuck no matter which character class I start out as, since I won't be able to get past the Sand Palace level since the puzzle there is broken in the version I'm playing, 2.7.4.

Oh, I just thought of something! I could edit the Sand Palace module and replace the puzzle-door with a regular door, one that opens if you go near it. I don't know quite how to do that, but I MIGHT be able to figure it out. Then I could continue on with version 2.7.4 and not have to switch to a different version. I've already figured out how to edit data.txt files to modify characters and objects a bit... Or maybe I could edit the puzzle-door so that it just stays open all the time. Or edit the puzzle thingie so instead of always losing I always win, triggering the door to open.

EDIT: I have succeeded in editing the Sand Palace module puzzle's script so that instead of being an impossible puzzle that the player always loses, it's an easy puzzle that you just win by stepping on all of the tiles at least once, and now the Sand Palace is beatable. I have tried it out and it works and I beat the Sand Palace in 2.7.4 using it. Here is the code to use for the file "modules\palsand.mod\objects\puzzle.obj\script.txt" in version 2.7.4 to make the puzzle always end in victory so the Sand Palace is finally beatable in 2.7.4:

[spoiler="modules\palsand.mod\objects\puzzle.obj\script.txt" for version 2.7.4 to make Sand Palace beatable]

Code: Select all

// Parent spawner state
IfTimeOut
  // See if the board need to be cleared
  GetContent
  tmpx = tmpargument
  tmpy = 0
  IfXIsEqualToY
    tmpargument = 1
    SetContent

// Reset the board...
    tmpx = 21 < 7
    tmpy = 35 < 7
    tmpargument = 187
    SetTileXY
    tmpx = tmpx + 128
    SetTileXY
    tmpx = tmpx + 128
    SetTileXY
    tmpx = tmpx + 128
    SetTileXY

tmpx = 21 < 7
    tmpy = tmpy + 128
    tmpargument = 187
    SetTileXY
    tmpx = tmpx + 128
    SetTileXY
    tmpx = tmpx + 128
    SetTileXY
    tmpx = tmpx + 128
    SetTileXY

tmpx = 21 < 7
    tmpy = tmpy + 128
    tmpargument = 187
    SetTileXY
    tmpx = tmpx + 128
    SetTileXY
    tmpx = tmpx + 128
    SetTileXY
    tmpx = tmpx + 128
    SetTileXY

tmpx = 21 < 7
    tmpy = tmpy + 128
    tmpargument = 187
    SetTileXY
    tmpx = tmpx + 128
    SetTileXY
    tmpx = tmpx + 128
    SetTileXY
    tmpx = tmpx + 128
    SetTileXY

tmpargument = 3
  SetTime

SetTargetToNearestEnemy

IfTargetIsAPlayer
    // See if the target is on the ground
    tmpx = targetaltitude
    tmpy = 20
    IfXIsLessThanY
      // See if the target is in the play area
      tmpx = targetx
      tmpy = 21 < 7
      IfXIsMoreThanY
        tmpy = 25 < 7
        IfXIsLessThanY
          tmpy = targety
          tmpx = 35 < 7
          IfYIsMoreThanX
            tmpx = 39 < 7
            IfYIsLessThanX
              // See if the target is standing in the center
              tmpx = targetx - 32 & 64
              tmpy = 0
              IfXIsEqualToY
                tmpx = targety - 32 & 64
                IfXIsEqualToY
                  // Change a tile
                  tmpx = targetx
                  tmpy = targety
                  GetTileXY
                  tmpx = tmpargument
                  tmpy = 187
                  IfXIsEqualToY
                    GetContent
                    tmpargument = tmpargument & 1 + 188
                    tmpx = targetx
                    tmpy = targety
                    SetTileXY

// Remember which ones have are Red
                    tmpx = tmpargument & 1
                    tmpy = 0
                    IfXIsEqualToY
                      tmpx = targetx > 7 - 21
                      tmpy = targety > 7 - 35 < 2
                      tmpx = tmpx + tmpy
                      tmpturn = 1 < tmpx
                      tmpargument = 0
                      GetXY
                      tmpx = tmpx + tmpturn
                      SetXY

// Increase the count
                    GetContent
                    tmpargument = tmpargument + 1
                    SetContent
                    tmpx = tmpargument
                    tmpy = 17
                    IfXIsEqualToY
                      // We are done...
                      tmpargument = 0
                      GetXY
                      tmpy = 38505
                      tmpx = tmpy // ADDED TO ENSURE VICTORY EVERY TIME
                      IfXIsEqualToY
                        // The player won...
                        tmpargument = 0
                        SendMessageNear

// Play the "found a secret" sound
                        tmpargument = 2
                        tmpdistance = 11025
                        PlaySound

// Open a master passage
                        tmpargument = passage
                        OpenPassage
                        GoPoof
                      Else
                        // The player lost...
                        tmpargument = rand & 3 + 1
                        SendMessageNear

// Play the buzzer sound
                        tmpargument = 1
                        tmpdistance = 10000
                        PlaySound

// Start it over in a second
                        tmpargument = 0
                        SetContent
                        tmpx = 0
                        SetXY
                        tmpargument = 50
                        SetTime
                    Else
                      // Play the button press sound
                      tmpargument = 0
                      tmpdistance = 11025
                      PlaySound

End					// Finished with this character
[/spoiler]

The only difference in the code is one line of code added, which says "tmpx = tmpy // ADDED TO ENSURE VICTORY EVERY TIME". So it only took one line of code to fix it.