Hey

This is the welcome and goodbye section for the community. New members should introduce themselves here, read the rules and get free cookies!

Moderator: Developers

Veiva
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Hey

Post by Veiva »

It's me, Veiva. Dunno if I'm remembered too much... But I won't lose sleep over it.

I've been taking a liking to Egoboo again (it's never left my heart, though!). My brother and I often played the original OpenGL Egoboo so much we figured out every little nook and cranny back when it was relatively young. I eventually started modding it with such tools such as Egomap (only for maps though, I did everything else by hand).

I am amazed to see how much it has grown over the past few years! The code base is so much more organized and sensible. I had tried before to add a "player owned house" kind of deal, but never finished it, largely due to the seemingly unmaintainable hodgepodge of code.

I also contributed a few mods and some other stuff...but nothing that interesting.

So, the reason I registered instead of lurking is to keep the community up to date on a major overhaul I'm attempting at the Egoboo codebase. If anything, it's more of a rewrite... I started recently and have written a few basic classes and so on (nothing to show except boilerplate code).

You may be going, "Hmm, isn't that silly? Why doesn't he contribute to the current Egoboo code?" The problem is I am going to rewrite it to use much less memory, for use in embedded devices. Also I'm going to attempt to make it much more modular.

"Embedded devices, you say?" The particular target I'm aiming for is the Nintendo Wii. In Egoboo's current state, the memory usage is just too high. Not only this, but it does not abstract the graphics API away, so it's impossible to simply port it in a short time span. The only feasible avenue is to completely rewrite large portions of it.

I'm hoping to contribute to this community in the form of an Wii port of Egoboo. How far I'll get is uncertain, but I'll release updates as I make progress.

Thanks for reading!
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Re: Hey

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

Good luck on trying to fit Egoboo into about 68MB of memory! (from what I understand from wiibrew)

Also, :cookie:, :idea:, :teach:, etc. Welcome (back?) to the forums!
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

I think I've seen your username around before. Re-welcome. :D
It's great that you're doing something for the game! It is nice to hear such a cool goal.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Welcome back, although I've never seen you before, but then again, I'm not seeing you now either. ᖌᴑᴗᴑᖍ
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
Veiva
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by Veiva »

Thanks everyone. :)

(I posted mostly on Zippy Egoboo forums, hence why you may not know me... I think a few times elsewhere, but I'm not too sure.)
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

I remember you :P Funny how old members seem to pop back once in a while...
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

Welcome back, though I obviously can't remember you since I wasn't around yet when you still were.