2.8.x crash at startup

Report bugs, errors and balance issues you may encounter ingame here.

Moderator: Developers

Crispy
Grub Bug (Rookie)
Grub Bug (Rookie)

2.8.x crash at startup

Post by Crispy »

Hmm, to think that I really waited for this version update and after finally downloadin the 2.8.0 (stable) it doesn't even start, just crashes and log won't be created.

*starts the game to be more specific*

Yup, the black box appears after doubleclicking egoboo.exe and crashes after short while. M$ crashreport window appears and no log file is created in egoboo folder. Is there any way to quick fix? naah, nvm, it seems there is still a lot of annoying known bugs. I guess i'll just keep waiting for later version updates, for now...
Last edited by Crispy on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garrett
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by garrett »

I'm having the same problem.
If the dev's need any info on what I have in my computer (OS, Graphic card, etc) let me know what you need to fix it. (Nevermind, included below. ^^')
If anyone has a solution, I'm all ears. I've tried running it directly after the shortcut didn't work with same problem. I originally installed it on my H drive and got this error, so I reinstalled on C drive thinking that might be the problem, and it didn't help.
Used to play this game back in middle school and want to see what changes have been made. :)
(I loved changing .txt files and messing with the graphics in paint etc.)
This is what it looks like for me when I try to start it...
1. Operating System and version (Windows XP SP3)
2. Graphics Card (ATI Radeon HD 3850 AGP)
3. Graphics Card Driver and version (Catalyst (Don't know where to find version, if I click about it says: Version 2010.0825.2146.37182 if that means anything))
4. log.txt (I can't find it)
5. Any relevant information such as the version of Egoboo you are playing (EGOBOO 2.8.0 stable)
6. Any terminal/console output (I don't know how to do this)
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Click on the link called "My Egoboo Stuff". In that directory, there sill be a folder labeled debug. The log file, if any, will be in there.

If you so not find a log file there, check the installation directory for stdout.txt or stderr.txt.

There are a couple of reasons that the program might terminate before opening a normal log file.
1) generic program initialization failure: for instance, a missing .dll
2) SDL initialization failure: missing the SDL.dll
3) file system initialization error: missing a required directory due to a bad install
garrett
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by garrett »

I found that link (My egoboo stuff), and didn't find any debug file in there. Only one file named "setup.txt". (I tried changing the resolution to see if it'd fix it before so that's probably why that's in there)

I couldn't find stdout.txt or stderr.txt in "C:\Program Files\Egoboo" either.

SDL.dll is there. I guess I can uninstall, delete everything and redownload?

I'm gonna disable my anti-virus this time too. When I tried installing my graphics card drivers my anti-virus stopped the installation halfway through (And no it wasn't a virus, was from the main site). This way we can eliminate #3? xP

(I'm downloading the windows version from here: http://egoboo.sourceforge.net/download.html on the off chance that may be the problem?)

Finished re-downloading and re-installing, same problem.
Last edited by garrett on Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

If you were missing a DLL, then windows should warn you about it. If it was missing a runtime package, windows should also warn you about that.

It seems that your game crashes even before it gets to initialize logging and write something to the console. This is usually SDL.dll or PhysFS which is initialized first.

Maybe waiting for Egoboo 2.8.1 will solve your problem.
garrett
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by garrett »

I guess so if there is nothing I can do to fix it...
Is there a ballpark when this version will be out? (Like in X months etc.)
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

We are hoping for this month. There is just 1 bug we need to fix for where textures get messed up whenever you restart a module.
Crispy
Grub Bug (Rookie)
Grub Bug (Rookie)

Post by Crispy »

Oh my, so I'm not only one with this problem anymore :o I was wondering if there could be something with the graphic drivers after all since I have changed my graphics card since the last release of Egoboo (works smoothly even now if i recall right). I have had some problems with my graphics card in other games as well. They are pretty random but annoying cuz a freezing of screen (and possibly black scereen afterwards) and reboot is always involved... This happens more often in different games and some works smoothly without any problems. Also most of the time if I play in windowed mode the crashes disappears completely (like in GW, play in full screen -> random crashes, play in windowed -> no crashes)

Anyways, I'm yet to try out updating my BIOS and was just wondering if outdated BIOS causing some graphics driver issues could be the reason for that strange crash of the Egoboo? And a tough question, any ideas what might cause that, like waht new features has been included since last version that might cause the crash? :roll: (<- Has ended my messages pretty often lately... I guess it's like a signature..)

Edit: I'm using NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT btw...
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

It cannot be the graphics driver, as that does not initialize until after the logging system, and a message is logged before the graphics initialization is attempted.

Since setup.txt was in your user folder, is must have gotten past the point that that file was loaded...
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

I doubt it's your nvidia card that is causing your trouble. Even more so for your bios.

The latest graphics drivers could help a lot (updating to the latest version of opengl).
garrett
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by garrett »

I can run the old 2.22 egoboo. So yeah. Nothing new there for me though.
Thanks for the estimation on the release date, I'll check back often. xP
(Oh and the other dude having the problem, is there an older version that works?)
Crispy
Grub Bug (Rookie)
Grub Bug (Rookie)

Post by Crispy »

garrett wrote:(Oh and the other dude having the problem, is there an older version that works?)
Am I really just "the other dude"? >_> well yeah, 2.6.4. worked nicely and is one of my favorites. 2.6.8. worked aswell if I recall correctly (will check out later) although this one had some serious bugs If i'm correct (unlocking modules or character save at bishopia city, might have even been both...). Anyways, I'm already looking forward the the next version aswell.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Anyways, I'm already looking forward the the next version aswell.
Which I am uploading right now. I have some trouble with my upload, so things are going a bit slowly :P
garrett
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by garrett »

2.7.2 works for me... Odd. xP
Hopefully the new one works as well. ^^
Zefz

Post by Zefz »