[PnP] The Rise of a King (Talk)

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

[PnP] The Rise of a King (Talk)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

Story: The King Noganford wants to rule the world by force. He is very powerful but has few allies. There has been increased crime since he came. Meanwhile some people of the land are trying to stop him by telling other people to find legendary artifacts. Then a few people haven't paid much attention and only just noticed some monsters by their homes. You are just a random citizen right now, but you have to decide who you will be.

Rules (no specific order):
1. If a player's HP drop to 0 or lower, he faints.
2. XP is awarded for many things. Advancing to the next level always takes 100 XP.
3. You may carry up to 7 items in your inventory. Most of these can be stacked.
4. If you want to say anything out of character, use olive as a color please.
5. You may try to do whatever you imagine you want to do. If you want to try to climb a wall in order to look at the whole thing from above, do it. If you encounter a pool full of sharks and want to jump over it, try it! Nobody ensures that it will be successful though...
6. Whenever I post I'll post a "summary" that indicates the current HP, MP and Lvl of each character and enemy (if there are any) as well as the result of your last actions. You may only do one action, e.g. attack someone, at a time. After having done an action, you'll have to wait for my next post. Saying something or talking to someone doesn't count as an action though. Also, if you do something in order to do something else, e.g. you light your torch to see what is around, or you throw something at your enemies to run surprise them and run away, it also only counts as one action, not as two.
7. When leveling up, you gain 1D6+Power HP, 1D6+Intelligence MP and may upgrade one of your skills or learn a new one. T
8. If things get risky, you may try to escape. In that case, every conscious party member gets a check. Those are all added together, with unconscious heroes being +0. Then the remaining enemies all get a check (bosses may get high bonuses here), also being added together. Then party vs. enemies is checked. If party is higher, the escape is successful.
9. There are three possible positions for battles. You can choose between either *front* or *cover*. The front can be attacked by anything, but can also attack with anything itself. Covered characters can only be hit by ranged attacks, magic and certain skills that hit the whole party - however, this only applies if there is at least one character standing at the front. If all characters at the front are either gone or unconsious, melee attacks will hit covered characters as well.
10. Sometimes you'll encounter unusually strong enemies, called bosses. They are very dangerous and often need to be defeated in order to continue with the good part of the story. They often have very high modificators on their stats. When seeing them in the status table, they are marked brown.
11. Gold is kept by the party, even when split up. (Screw logic)
12. You may split 25 points between HP and MP. You start with 500 AP. AP can buy stats as well as skills. Stats are 5 AP.
13. Stats should add up to 5. Individually the stats should be from -5 to 5 plus -1/+1 per level..
Strength: Modifies damage dealt with melee weapons (but cannot make it lower than 1). Modifies accuracy with melee weapons (the modifier is added to the number rolled with the d20)
Dexterity: Modifies the AC and accuracy with ranged weapons.
Constitution: Modifies the amount of HP gained upon a level up, and is added to saving throws against certain status ailments.
Intelligence: Modifies the amount of MP gained upon a level up and modifies the accuracy of spells.
Wisdom: Modifies the MR and is added to saving throws against certain status ailments.
14. Something else to note about stats.
AC = 10 +/- Dexterity + Equipment bonus
MR = 10 +/- Wisdom + Equipment bonus
Melee Hit = Strength + Weapon bonus
Ranged Hit = Dexterity + Weapon bonus
Spell Hit = Intelligence
Damage dealt = Weapon/Spell damage (+ Strength if it's a melee attack)
15. Poison can only bring you down to 1 HP.
There are three types of poison (which can all be overlapped):
Weak poison: Deals 1DMG each turn. It's weaker, hence the name. And well, the only reason you would use this is because it's cheaper, AP and goldwise.
Normal poison: Deals 10% of the enemy's max HP rounded up damage each turn.
Strong poison: Deals 15% of the enemy's max HP rounded up damage each turn.
Über-Strong poison: Deals 25% of the enemy's max HP rounded up damage each turn. This is pretty rare. You can get large quantities of it from large, poisonous monsters.. if you live.
16. If there's anything else I missed, either it's shown in the example below or applies to like every single PnP. If I missed something other than that or it's confusing or whatever, just tell me, because I probably have messed up somewhere.

Exampel, lvl 1 Example
HP: 6/6
MP: 19/19
Hit: -2 | XP: 0 | AC: 13|
AP: 500 | MR: 13
Weapon: Fists (1d6)
Armor: Tunic (1 AC)
Spoiler: Inv., Skills, Stats
Inventory (0/7):
-An item
Skills:
-An skill
Stats:
Strength: -2
Dexterity: +2
Constitution: 0
Intelligence: +2
Wisdom: +3
And um yeah. I hope some people don't find this confusing and think it's interesting and make a character. :)
..I don't like making new topics.. and I don't know if anyone will play..
You know, I just noticed something. ATK and DEF never seemed to be used.. just attacking and dodging. Hmm. By the way, I'm going to use what Clonk called the D&D system in his post in SPAM. Maybe adding attacking/dodging to ATK/DEF and using the latter. Anyway.....
Last edited by penguinflyer2222 on Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
Ditto
Jungle Warrior (Committed contributor)
Jungle Warrior (Committed contributor)

Post by Ditto »

I'll create a character soon... Don't you think it's a little unfair to have permanent HP and SP gains be random?

Also, how much AP is a stat? And for that matter, what do the stats actually do?

And because I can get my beloved 50 HP back, I'm going with a tank again. Now all you other guys have to be something else. Har har.
"It only hurts when my squad won't f***ing heal me."

http://guildedage.net/
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

This is just like the Scytale Era ruleset. FUN FUN FUN! :D
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

I'll join after the excursion, if possible.
ShellShocker
Rust Eater (Senior Member)

Post by ShellShocker »

AoD asked if I wanted to join, I want to. But if it's okay. I won't be inactive and disappear, for once.
This signature picture has been cropped to fit the size limit.
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Re: [PnP] The Rise of a King (Talk)

Post by Shade »

penguinflyer2222 wrote: Attacking: -10 to +10
Dodging: -10 to +10
Casting: -10 to +10
Resistance: -10 to +10
Just a piece of advice: you should probably restrict those to -5 and +5 as well, instead of -10 to +10. IIRC, we only had the 10 to 10 ratio once before moving away from it, as it simply gave non-casters way too much of a dummy stat to abuse.

Also, if you're going to use the D&D variant I mentioned, you probably won't even need attacking, dodging, casting and resistane as their own stats - instead, you should just use Strength (damage and melee attacking bonus), Dexterity (bonus to the AC and ranged attacking bonus), Constitution (HP up modifier, resistance to status ailments) Intelligence (casting bonus, MP up modifier) and Wisdom (bonus to MR, resistance to status ailments).
If you're going to work with the D&D system, every humanoid creature of regular size has a base AC of 10. AC boni from equipment and the dexterity modifier are added to that to determine the full AC.
Oh, and unless you're going to give weapons huge damage, HP/MP will need to be a lot lower. Something like 15 HP is already considered pretty sturdy for a level 1 dude in D&D.

I'll join, but I need to come up with a character first. Give me a few hours or maybe a day.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Also, me and Shell would like to be in our own party if possible, I think. We're taking the neutral side.
ShellShocker

Post by ShellShocker »

Oh my character is so badass. 8) Unbalanced glass cannon support character ftw.
This signature picture has been cropped to fit the size limit.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Plus my made-of-win unbalanced glass cannon counter-support character!
Shade

Post by Shade »

Looks like this is going to be the war of the glass cannons then?
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Me and Shell are gonna win then. We have teamwork powuh.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Have you even seen my characters? Over three quarters of them never even took any damage, but at the same time brought ridiculous amounts of hurt to their enemies. I could effortlessly take on five of your kind and still win. :twisted:
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Not once you see our ridiculously overpowered team skill which will probably need nerfing so we can afford it because it's so friggin UBER!
Also, we are support character glass cannons. :D
Shade

Post by Shade »

You can support each other as much as you want; it won't help you, for I am in fact invincible. :P
...but then again, why would we even fight in the first place? I'll probably save my total p0rskill to shitstomp some bosses. :P
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Depends on which side you choose. :P