[RPG] The Arcadia Project (Talk)

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

[RPG] The Arcadia Project (Talk)

Post by Shade »

Story:
Mankind is capable of wonderful things indeed - they can work together, build massive cities in the most inhospitable places and create the most amazing pieces of art. But they can also be cruel and destructive; they often wage war against themselves and others for low reasons. Just like they can create art, they can also destroy lives - or even entire species.
In this world, the fate of anything not human is horrible - it has no rights to live, to even exist. The most merciful people keep half-breeds and other races as slaves, while other people just outright slaughter them if they see one. They are so afraid of anything that is different than themselves that they have to destroy it, even if it never meant any harm to them...
You are one of these ill-fated existances in this world. However, you can no longer bear the insults and the injustice - it's up to you to break free and change the fate of this world. Whether you choose to take revenge and wipe out mankind, or try to reach an ideal world where everyone, regardless of race, can live in peace - it's up to you.

Rules:

Roleplaying
1. Each player may only have one character. Your characters can act independently from each other, but if you go wandering around alone, you may quickly find yourself in trouble. Only the first 4 players to sign up will be able to play. Also, please only join if you fully intend to be active (that means, post more than like once every two days). My experience shows that having too many players seems to encourage some of them to become inactive at some point, which of course delays the progress for all other players as well and thus makes the PnP overall less enjoyable for everyone. Also, the kind of gameplay I intend to try here works better with a low number of players.
2. Due to the story of this RPG, your character cannot be (completely) human; you can be anything else you like though. Elves, dwarves, orcs, dragons, half-breeds of any kind (you can be half-human), whatever you can think of, no matter how crazy or unusual. Just pick something you feel comfortable playing as.
3. Please try to contribute to the story when playing; this is an RPG, after all. Make your character act logically. Make it interesting. Make it have an own personality, its own reasons to fight and its own story. You are even welcome to have bonds between your characters, like being a brother/sister of someone else, good childhood friends, or even rivals. You don't need to type up a whole novel each time you post, especially in battles, but just make sure to make your character interesting, so that both you and the other players will be able to like your character (or at least love to hate it).
4. Please write anything your character says in "". I also recommend giving your character a personal talking color; note that you can get any color you desire by specifying a hex value instead of an actual color. #E5B530, for example (the format is #RRGGBB), should give a yellowish/golden color to your text.
5. Since you will be having quite some code in each of your posts, I recommend copying that code by clicking "quote" at your last own post. Just remember to update any changed values and remove the "[quote]"-tags afterwards.
6. If you want to say anything out of character in the game thread, use olive as a color please. If all you want to do is to say something out of character, please do it in this thread, not in the game thread.
7. Whenever I post I'll add a status table that indicates the most important stats of your characters, like the current HP of each character and enemy (if there are any). The order of the party members also shows in which order they'll act in battle. The current time of day, the current weather and how much gold you currently have are also shown.
8. When you're done talking and want me to move the game forward, make sure to post a clear action on what you're doing next (having your character say that he thinks about doing XYZ and having him actually do XYZ are two completely different things), or else it's possible that I don't recognize it as an actual action and nothing happens.

Character Stats
9. Every character's main stats are HP (Health Points), MP (Magic/Mana Points) and AP (Ability Points). I think most people here should be familiar with what HP do. MP are required to use skills and magic. AP are used to learn new abilities, skills and spells for your character. You can also increase your main stats for 100 AP per point. I scrapped the level system I used to use in earlier PnPs in favor of directly distributing AP when characters gain experience.
10. Players may define the skills/spells/abilities they learn themselves, but I decide how many AP they actually cost to learn, and in the case of skills/spells, how many MP they require to be used (basic stuff may very well only require 1 MP, but if you want something really epic and powerful, you can expect it to cost a bit more. Anything above 3 MP is very rare though). You'll have to specify the basic Atk, Hit and Crt of any attacking skill or spell, kind of like if they were a weapon. Also, when trying to distinguish between skills and spells, generally keep in mind that I'll assume skills that do damage to target the enemy DEF, while spells will target RES. As such, please make sure to distinguish skills and spells from each other somehow.
11. Any gold piece aquired can be spent by any party member, even if your party is currently split up (screw logic). Your party starts with 100 gold.
12. You may carry up to [5 + (CON/3)] (rounded down) items in your inventory; no items can be stacked unless I myself put a [NUMBER] next to them. Any equipment you're currently wearing should not be hidden and does not count towards the aforementioned item limit.
13. You can choose some starting gear, but I'll not allow you to start out with healing items of any sort. Also, while you are free to choose your equipment's stats, I probably will modify them to my needs.
14. Each (player) character has the following stats, called "main stats":
STR: Physical strength. Adds damage to your physical attacks (both regular attacks and damaging skills). Additionally, each second point of STR adds 1 point to your max HP. Each fourth point of STR also adds 1 point to your Def.
INT: Magical ability. Adds damage/effectiveness to your spells and makes them more accurate. Each fourth point of INT also adds 1 point to your Res.
SKL: Skill. Each point of SKL adds 3 points to your physical Hit rate, 1 point to your magical Hit rate and 1 point to your Crt rate.
AGI: Agility. Each point of AGI adds 3 points to your Avd rating. Also, in battle, the combatants act in order from highest AGI to lowest. You can choose to act later than your AGI would enable you to, but not earlier. If two characters have the same AGI, the one with the higher LUK gets to act first. If they also have the same LUK, I'll let the RNG decide.
LUK: Luck. Each point of LUK adds 1 point to your Hit, Avd, Crt and CEv values (both physical and magical). Not overly useful on its own, but can make quite a difference in the right setups.
CON: Constitution. Each point of CON raises your max HP by 1. Additionally, each second point of CON adds 1 point to your Def, and each third point adds 1 slot to your inventory.
SPI: Spirit. Each point of SPI raises your max MP by 1. Additionally, each second point of SPI adds 1 point to your Res.
...this results in various sub stats:
Physical Atk: [STR + Weapon/Skill Atk] The basic amount of physical damage you're capable of dealing with a physical attack/skill. Targets enemy Def.
Magical Atk: [INT + Spell Atk] The basic amount of magical damage you're capable of dealing with a spell. Targets enemy Res.
Physical Hit: [SKL x3 + LUK + Weapon/Skill Hit] Your basic chance to hit with a physical attack/skill.
Magical Hit: [INT x2 + SKL + LUK + Spell Hit] Your basic chance to hit with a spell.
Crt: [SKL + LUK + Weapon/Skill/Spell Crt] Your basic chance to score a critical hit. A critical hit doubles the amount of damage you deal with that attack.
Avd: [AGI x3 + LUK + Equipment Avd] Your chance to avoid an attack, no matter whether it's physical or magical. To put it simply, your Avd is subtracted from the Hit rate of anything that tries to attack you.
Def: [CON/2 + STR/4 + Equipment Def] Your total defense, including boni from equipment. Reduces physical damage taken.
Res: [SPI/2 + INT/4 + Equipment Res] Your total resistance, including boni from equipment. Reduces magical damage taken.
CEv: [LUK + Equipment CEv] Critical Evasion. This stat is subtracted from the Crt rate of anything that tries to attack you.
Max HP: [10 + CON + STR/2]
Max MP: [SPI]
Inventory slots: [5 + CON/3]
15. Distribute your starting stats wisely. You start out with 500 AP and can distribute 40 points among your "main stats"; however, while those stats may be 0, none of them may exceed 10 at the beginning (you can use your AP to raise them beyond 10, but the absolute maximum any stat can ever reach is 20). Make sure to tell me when you raise a stat after the beginning of the game.

Combat
16. If a character's HP drop to 0, he/she faints. Unconscious characters can't act anymore until the battle is over, at which point they're restored to a single HP. Regular healing spells/items used on an unconscious character won't have any effect. Your characters cannot die in combat unless the whole party is defeated.
17. In combat, you may do one attack (major action) and one minor action or just two minor actions per turn. Anything that is not just talking counts as a minor action (e.g. using an item from your inventory, changing your row, etc.). After having done your actions, wait for my next post, unless all you want to do is to make your character say something.
18. You can choose between two possible positions for battles - front or cover. The front can be attacked by anything, but can also attack with anything itself. Covered characters can only be hit by ranged attacks, certain skills/spells and attacks that hit multiple characters - however, this only applies if there is at least one character standing at the front. If no-one at the front is left, melee attacks will be able to hit covered characters as well, so beware. Also note that if you're attacked from behind, your front and cover will be reversed.
19. If it looks like you're about to lose a battle, you might want to try to escape instead of waiting until you're defeated. Usually, if you try to escape and there aren't any obstacles in your way, you will succeed. However, if you escape, any party members not capable of moving (e. g. because of being unconscious) will be left behind (carrying them would slow you down too much). Usually, this means that they'll be captured.
20. Be creative. There are many ways to defeat your enemies, and not all of them necessarily involve defeating them yourself or even reducing their HP to 0 at all.
21. In a battle, whenever a turn passes in which a player hasn't posted (and the other players haven't chosen what that character should do either), his character will simply attack the first enemy on the list with a simple normal attack if he can hit an enemy from where he's standing.
If you don't want that to happen, simply add a "Script" tag in your charater's profile (in the spoiler) that tells me what your character should do in which situation. This can be as detailed as you want; if you want, you can even make a whole universal strategy to be used when you're absent, and I will make your character act accordingly to it (unless something happens which isn't covered in your script, in which case your character will resort to doing either normal attacks or nothing).
22. If you don't want to wait for the other players to post in a battle (for example if it just drags on and seemingly takes forever), you can just post a bolded End Turn in the game thread. You can then also give orders to the characters that haven't posted yet, if you want to, kind of like in an actual RPG game. Any characters that do not receive orders and have not posted yet at that point will resort to their script. If you ever actually want a character to do nothing, state so.
23. I may automatically end the current turn in a battle if some players haven't posted their actions after around 24 hours.

Misc.
24. If your character for some reason has no weapon (equipped), add one named "Unarmed" (or something similar) that has 0 Atk, 80 Hit and 0 Crt.
25. Here's a list of various, more common status ailments that you might get a taste of:
Poison: Every time you act while poisoned, you take 10% of your max. HP of damage. If you get poisoned again while being poisoned, it becomes Lethal Poison.
Lethal Poison: Every time you act while poisoned, you take 20% of your max. HP of damage. If you get poisoned again while being lethally poisoned, there's a 10% (normal poison) or 20% (lethal poison) chance that your character is instantly knocked to 0 HP. Otherwise, nothing special happens.
Condemned: Just being in this status doesn't do anything; however, once the turn count for this status runs out, your character is instantly knocked to 0 HP. Can be removed without the fatal effect if you disrupt the focus of whoever inflicted the status ailment to you before the turn count runs out. Sometimes this is only possible by KOing or killing that enemy.
Cursed: Any HP or MP recovery your character receives is nullified completely.
Stunned: You can't act while being in this status, but you can still move. Usually only lasts a single turn, though there may be exceptions.
Paralyzed: You cannot do anything at all (not even move) while being in this status, which also means that your Avd drops to 0. Will automatically be removed after a few turns.
Dizzy: Your base Hit rate is reduced by 25% for the duration of this status ailment. This also applies to skills/spells. Will automatically be removed after a few turns.
Dazzled: Your base Hit rate is halved for the duration of this status ailment. This also applies to skills/spells. Will automatically be removed after a few turns.
Solidifying (feet): Lowers your Avd to 0. You can't move your feet, seeing how they're turning to stone, but as long as it wouldn't require you to move your feet, you can still attack and use skills/spells regularly. Turns into "Solidifying (body)" after a few turns if it isn't cured.
Solidifying (body): Lowers your Avd to 0. You can't move anything but your head anymore, seeing how your body is turning to stone, but as long as just saying/chanting something is sufficient to invoke them, you can still use spells. Attacks aimed at you only deal half as much damage as usual while in this status. Turns into "Petrified" after a few turns if it isn't cured.
Petrified: You have turned to stone. You can't move or do anything else, not even talk, though you're still conscious and can see what is going on in front of you. Attacks won't do any damage to you while in this status, and unless cured by someone else, you'll remain in this status forever; this also means that if your entire party gets petrified, your adventure is over.
26. When using ranged weapons, the stats of both the weapon itself and the ammo are added together for calculation purposes. However, if a different type of ammo is used than the weapon was designed for (e. g. swords with bows, bolts with bows, arrows with crossbows, etc.), it will be treated as if it had 0 Hit (its Atk and Crt will be considered regularly).
27. About equipment in this game:
- Shields raise your Avd and sometimes also yield a marginal Def or Res bonus, but lower your Hit and prevent you from using two-handed weapons.
- Helmets raise your CEv and usually also yield a small Def bonus, but lower your Hit. Lighter headwear, like hats, usually doesn't do anything at all.
- Armor or whatever else you wear at your torso raises your Def and Res, but often lowers your Avd. Be aware that it's very possible for your Avd to become negative, thus adding to your enemies' Hit rates!
- Amulets, rings and other kinds of accessoires can basically give all kinds of different boni.

Each post should have the character's status table on top, looking similar to the example below (though you're very welcome to apply your own style). You may also add a hidden avatar and other fancy stuff if you want, but that's not a requirement.

Clonks the Class (Front)
HP: 21/21
MP: 4/4
AP: 500
13 Atk | 99 Hit | 09 Crt
08 Def | 03 Res | 15 Avd | 07 CEv
Weapon: Heavy Weapon (6 Atk, 75 Hit, 0 Crt)
Shield: Small Shield (0 Def, 0 Res, 5 Avd, -5 Hit)
Helmet: Light Helmet (1 Def, 0 Res, 5 CEv, -10 Hit)
Armor: Somewhat Heavy Armor (2 Def, 0 Res, -10 Avd)
Spoiler: Inventory & Status
Items (1/7):
- Item
Skills:
[1 MP] Skill: [Base Stats]
[Current Stats]
Does damage. [0 AP]
Spells:
[2 MP] Spell: [Base Stats]
[Current Stats]
Does something else. [0 AP]
Abilities:
- Ability: Description of what it does. [0 AP]
Stats:
STR: 7
INT: 4
SKL: 9
AGI: 6
LUK: 2
CON: 8
SPI: 4

Story: Insert your character's story and backgrounds here.
Appearance: Describe your character's appearance here as detailed as possible. If you have a picture of your character, it also goes here.

Script:
- If own HP less than 50%: Heal self
- If there are 3 or more enemies: Use multitarget spell
- etc...

Don't worry if calculating the stats of your stuff seems to be too complicated, I can do it for you if you want me to.

Also, in case you haven't noticed, the story of this RPG is very open-ended - you can basically do whatever the hell you want, and the story will adapt accordingly.
Last edited by Shade on Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

In b4 three other in b4s.
I'm taking the Glass Cannon.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

Inb4 two other ib4s. :lol:
I have an idea to resurrect an old character.. :twisted:
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

Working on my character... Which weapon would you recommend for an ancient, golem-like creature?

Axe = too brutish
Bow = requires too much finesse (OK, he has Skl 10, but he is massive and huge...)
Dagger = just ridiculous for a 10-foot character made of stone
Mace = too mundane
Flail = too sadistic

Sword = doesn't seem to fit him
Hammer = not "mystical" enough
Spear = too thin and tiny
Cannon = too weird, and would run out of ammo soon
??
penguinflyer2222

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

Heyon, Lv1 (Scout, Falconman)
HP: 21
MP: 4
AP: 400
12 Atk | 100 Hit | 13 Crt
05 Def | 04 Res | 33 Avd | 02 CEv
Weapon: Talons (4 Atk, 80 Hit, 5 Crt)
Armor: Hooded Robe (0 Def, 1 Res, 10 Avd)
Spoiler: Inventory and Status
Items (0/7):
- None
Skills:

Abilities:
Can't Swim: Heyon can't swim.
Hover: Heyon can hover for a short distance. He can also jump pretty high.

Stats:
STR: 8
INT: 6
SKL: 6
AGI: 7
LUK: 2
CON: 7
SPI: 4

[spoiler="Story and Appearance"]Story: Heyon was captured by humans a long time ago, before the human's outright massacre started. He broke out, with the help of a friend. Now he is living in a cave by what was once a gorge. Now it is a city, and Heyon is afraid he cannot elude capture much longer by staying here..

Appearance: Half falcon, half human. I forget how I originally imagined him to look. But with a falconish head, short wings, and talons. And like the chest of a human.
Script:
Use talons.[/spoiler]
I think a hammer would work, actually. But remember, he doesn't have to use a 'weapon' weapon.. he can use fists. :D
Edit: Okay, now I just need to come up with some random skills he somehow learned during his long exile in the cave.
Last edited by penguinflyer2222 on Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shade

Post by Shade »

@octagon: Well, to be honest, I've never seen a golem using a weapon. Just pound your enemies using your fists. :P
penguinflyer2222 wrote:Hover: Heyon can hover for a short distance. He can also jump pretty high.
It's part of your race's nature, so I'm not charging any AP for it.
penguinflyer2222 wrote:Talons:
ATK for 20 AP per point.
Hit for 15 AP per 5 points.
Crit for 10 AP per point.
You can choose to have talons as your weapon, but you can't upgrade them. Especially not at this rate. Atk for 20 AP? That would be quite the shitstorm, as you could be running around with a 25 Atk weapon when the highest starting HP any character can have is 25 (disregarding additional AP spent on CON or STR). And that's not even counting your STR.
You can have talons with 4 Atk, 80 Hit and 5 Crt for 100 AP.
penguinflyer2222 wrote:Molt: Heyon will molt once a day, this creates 15 feathers.
Unnecessary. If you really need feathers as items, just pretend you already have them.
penguinflyer2222 wrote:Can't Swim: Heyon can't swim.
Also part of your race's nature. No bonus for it.

This puts your stats at the following:
HP: 21
MP: 4
AP: 400
Weapon: Talons (4 Atk, 80 Hit, 5 Crt)
Armor: Hooded Robe (0 Def, 1 Res, 10 Avd)
12 Atk | 100 Hit | 13 Crt
05 Def | 04 Res | 33 Avd | 02 CEv
Item Slots: 7

EDIT: Ah, nonsense. It's 400 AP, not 410. :oops:
Ditto
Jungle Warrior (Committed contributor)

Post by Ditto »

3 players? You suck, clonky. The one day I read the forums in the middle of the day, I can't join the PnP because the three spots are taken.

Blech. Whatever.

Octagon, if you want ideas for a weapon, look at the elven weapons in this:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Weapons

Nice and ancient looking, are they not?
"It only hurts when my squad won't f***ing heal me."

http://guildedage.net/
octagon

Post by octagon »

Thanks, these Oblivion weapons really look nice.

I will leave my spot if you want to join. I haven't much time, and for someone who can post really frequently, this PnP account is of more use.
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

I don't want to take spots from PnPers who have already claimed spots, and I won't accept them. They did post first, after all.

However, I will make a character on the account that someone else leaves or clonks becomes more lenient, in which case I claim my spot.

octagon

Post by octagon »

I just pretend I didn't post first.
Just posting first because of living in a strange timezone and being greedy for PnPs is not nice at all. Be ashamed, you so-called octagon.

But I still hope that Clonks increases the headcount limit. Since there is always someone who only posts rarely, 3 members are not enough to keep the PnP alive in long terms.
۞
Shade

Post by Shade »

Why do I actually impose a limit on player count in the first place if I always end up increasing it afterwards anyway?

Player limit has been raised to four, so if you'd like to, you can now join, Ditto.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Thank you!
A cookie for Clonks. :cookie:
octagon

Post by octagon »

Sorry. Won't join. My browser just crashed and took the character sheet down with it...

[edit]Dubble pøst. Sorray.[/edit]
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

Yayyayyaythankyouthankyouthankyou!

Arys, Half-G'nome Healer
Image Health: 10/10
Image Piety: 10/10
3 Atk | 93 Hit | 12 Crt
1 Def | 12 Res | 36 Avd | 28 CAvd
Weapon: Aura Staff (3 Atk, 75 Hit, 0 Crt, 1 Res)
Head: Healer Hat (0 Def, 1 Res, 5 CAvd, -5 Hit)
Body: White Coat (1 Def, 0 Res, -5 Avd)
Amulet: Holy Symbol (Randomly restores either 1 HP or MP each turn)
Spoiler: Stats, Stuff, and Shizzle
Stuff (1/5):
-Vial of Poison [3]

Skills:
-Divine Dodge [1 Piety]-
Arys is filled with divine power, and gains godly speed for [1] turns, doubling his avoid for the rest of the turn. This skill can be used in the same turn as a spell, but cannot be used twice in a row.

Spells:
-Prayer of Healing [1 Piety per cast]-
Arys calls upon the power of the gods to heal his allies, healing an ally for [INT] HP or one negative status effect other than petrification. This spell can be used twice in one action, or even three times if he didn't use it on the last turn. If this spell overheals an ally, all of Arys's allies are healed 1 HP, and all the enemies lose 1 HP (ignoring defenses and avoid.)

-Crystal Armor [1 Piety to cast, 1 Piety per attack and turn to sustain]-
Arys forms a shield of pure crystal armor around the ally, absorbing enemy attacks. The barrier lasts until dispelled by Arys, (which he can do at any time without cost) and fully absorbs enemy attacks, draining one piety for each attack absorbed and for each turn the barrier is sustained.

-Shining Skies [1 Piety]-
A ray of sunlight or moonlight shines on the battlefield, creating a warm, healing light that heals each of his allies for [INT/5] HP, and creating a burning light that hurts each enemy for [INT/5] HP (ignoring defenses and avoid). Casting this does not use a turn.

-Resurrection [5 Piety, Once per battle]-
Arys channels holy energy into the body of an unconscious person, reviving them with 1 HP and giving them immunity to all attacks for the remainder of the turn.

Abilities:
-Manawell-
Arys recovers 1 piety each turn.

-Guardian Spirit-
When Arys reaches zero HP, he takes the form of a spirit, and is able to use spells with infinite piety for one/two turns, at which point he reaches the normal 0 HP status.

-Judgement of Retribution-
If Arys is the last one remaining in his party, the gods aid him in battle. If he manages to survive for at least 8 turns and he becomes the last ally remaining or if he survives for a total of 4 turns alone, the gods will unleash golden flames on the enemies, insta-0 HPing all of them and permanently blessing Arys with "bad@$$," but draining the remainder of Arys's piety.

-Tinkering-
Being a g'nome, Arys has an advanced understanding of machines and other mechanical things.

-Stealthy-
From (story reasons), and his small size, Arys has gained many skills related to stealth, and can hide much easier than others. He also gains immunity to negative effects that target the entire party, and gains a 5% avoid and critical avoid bonus.

Stats:
STR: 0
INT: 9
SKL: 3
AGI: 9
LUK: 9
CON: 0
SPI: 10

Story:
Can I just post this as I go along?

Appearance:
Being half g'nome, Arys is short, around 4 feet tall. Despite his huge ears, he isn't particularly ugly, but he is often mocked about them despite the great hearing they give him. Arys wears a flat, circular hat that has a purple star on it, covering most of his dark blond hair, as well as simple glasses. (a recent g'nomish invention.) He wears a thick white coat covering his arms and reaching down to his knees over brown pants and black shoes.
Squishy casters are ftw.

Sorry for the boatload of abilities. You know how much I care 'bout dem 'bilities.

Note for APing: Everything gets rounded up.

EDIT: Ouch... Sorry octagon, that sucks.
Last edited by Ditto on Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:44 am, edited 11 times in total.

Shade

Post by Shade »

octagon wrote:Sorry. Won't join. My browser just crashed and took the character sheet down with it...
:bang:
That's why you ought to type up big stuff like that in the text editor of your choice (or just simply editor.exe), not in your browser.
Though I really wonder why your browser keeps crashing all the time. Mine (Firefox 3.5.5) works perfectly fine.