Archeologist Starter

All general stuff game related to Egoboo gameplay (Characters, tactics, etc.).

Moderator: Developers

Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Archeologist Starter

Post by Agent of Dread »

Here I want to discuss the Archeologist's Starter.
I really like it, but there's a few things that are annoying me.
-How the HECK are you meant to replace the Idol in time?
-Dazing at the sight of snakes is really annoying, especially while you're on the temple.
-The limited ammunition makes it very hard to get to far.
-Can we have a map, please?
Then, of course, the good things!
-Music at the end=WIN. Be careful of copyright issues though.
-The map itself. It's awesome.
-The traps and the spit roasts!
And a couple of bugs.
-Like someone said, one of the Jungle Warriors immediately spawns on a brazier.
-Some vertexes are a little iffy.
-The musketoon and the pillars, I think, aren't skinned properly.
Discussion.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
PurpleSquerkle
Massive Gelfeet (Developer)

Post by PurpleSquerkle »

Presumably:
Place item.
Take idol.
...In that order. That way you don't have to worry about replacing it quickly or something.
I don't really know, though, as I haven't tried it (it may be hard picking up the right item)? I've only done it once; I forgot about the trap and let it kill me! :D

Not really. If you get good at controlling yourself when you're dazed, it's not so hard. I think it's good that he has that problem, though, because otherwise the character would be a bit imbalanced.

I think more ammo would be nice, but you may be relying on your gonnes a bit too much. You've got other weapons too, you know....

Nah. It's good how it is; it should put emphasis on exploration.

That's what I said, kinda. I guess it's not that bad, though; they wouldn't (and, really, can't) sue us. The worst that would happen is that somebody would come along and tell us to take it out. And when you think about it... that would be pretty cool! :)
So, yes, my opinion on the matter has changed since I last brought it up.

Yeah. I liked the layout, and the way it was set up... "Welcome to the Temple of Doom (TM)" ... "No refunds". Clever!

Yeah. Good job, Chainsaw; it's a cool object (the meat spit).

This should be easily fixed, I think; just change his position in the spawn file.

Yeah, a few of the corners on the temple are kind of caved in; I couldn't tell if that was on purpose or not? At any rate, it makes it look like you could walk around those big block things, but you can't.
Really, though, it's not a big deal.

So I'm not the only one who's getting a weird-looking Musketoon, then?
*looks at texture*
It's got a lot of black marks. Maybe it's supposed to look broken up? If so, I don't think so; it looks quite weird/ugly.
If not, then the black needs to be made a lighter color, because it's showing up transparent.
Also, am I the only one who thinks the item could be a shade larger? It's significantly smaller than a regular gonne.
Anyway, I didn't notice that on the pillars, hmm.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

[quote=]1.
Presumably:
Place item.
Take idol.
...In that order. That way you don't have to worry about replacing it quickly or something.
I don't really know, though, as I haven't tried it (it may be hard picking up the right item)? I've only done it once; I forgot about the trap and let it kill me! :D [/quote]
Yeah, I was thinking of it that way.

Not really. If you get good at controlling yourself when you're dazed, it's not so hard. I think it's good that he has that problem, though, because otherwise the character would be a bit imbalanced.

Well if you just made is Grog, becuase AFAIK the controls randomly change when dazed...

I think more ammo would be nice, but you may be relying on your gonnes a bit too much. You've got other weapons too, you know....

Actually, normally I don't rely on my gonnes much at all. :P
Just ammo is a little short.

Nah. It's good how it is; it should put emphasis on exploration.

Got me there.

That's what I said, kinda. I guess it's not that bad, though; they wouldn't (and, really, can't) sue us. The worst that would happen is that somebody would come along and tell us to take it out. And when you think about it... that would be pretty cool! :)
So, yes, my opinion on the matter has changed since I last brought it up.

Yeah. I liked the layout, and the way it was set up... "Welcome to the Temple of Doom (TM)" ... "No refunds". Clever!

Yeah, I liked that, but I don't get the 'No refunds' one.

Agreed.

This should be easily fixed, I think; just change his position in the spawn file.

Obviously.

So I'm not the only one who's getting a weird-looking Musketoon, then?
*looks at texture*
It's got a lot of black marks. Maybe it's supposed to look broken up? If so, I don't think so; it looks quite weird/ugly.
If not, then the black needs to be made a lighter color, because it's showing up transparent.
Also, am I the only one who thinks the item could be a shade larger? It's significantly smaller than a regular gonne.
Anyway, I didn't notice that on the pillars, hmm.

Well, I think it is, because the pillars look a little wierd from the top.
Hiroy
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Post by Hiroy »

If you find combat too difficult with JWs, use the traps in the temple against them. There's alot of torture to choose from XD
PurpleSquerkle

Post by PurpleSquerkle »

I think when you're dazed, it rotates all controls in some direction... like left is up, up is right, right is down, and down is left.
I'm not sure that's exactly how it works, but I think it's something like that.

And then the "no refunds" is kind of silly (but no, I'm not saying you should change it, Zefz) since it said "free entry" but I think the basic idea is that it's acting like it was some sort of... amusement park attraction or something.

But yeah, Hiroy's right.
Environment can really kill the Jungle Warriors. You could lure them into the death pit or the spike traps. Also, the swamp really slows them down (not that it doesn't slow you down), and often they can't turn around fast enough, and you can kill them from the back before they can do anything about it.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

No, I meant that the control setup slowly rotates, e.g
If left is up, five seconds later left and down is then up.
The scheme seems to rotate.
PurpleSquerkle

Post by PurpleSquerkle »

Hmm; maybe.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

However, if it was just Grog, you would only need to learn the reversed controls once. Then so on.
PurpleSquerkle

Post by PurpleSquerkle »

Isn't the reversed controls Stun or something?

I thought that stunning reversed your controls (what whips do), dazing messes them up in ways I don't fully understand (what we were just talking about), and grogging... doesn't that make you walk really strangely (weird rotation and such)? I think it's happened to me once before; it was pretty weird... Or maybe that was just dazing?
I don't know. But I didn't think grogging was the reversed controls.
Could be wrong, though.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Well then whatever reverses them, I want. Or maybe Grog, I don't think I've actually had it happen to me before.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

PurpleSquerkle wrote:7.

Thanks.

PurpleSquerkle wrote:9.
Yeah, a few of the corners on the temple are kind of caved in; I couldn't tell if that was on purpose or not? At any rate, it makes it look like you could walk around those big block things, but you can't.
Really, though, it's not a big deal.

Unfortunately, It's a problem with Egomap. Every once in a while, in certain angles and heights ,Or when moving vertexes up, the tiles end up this way. It's really hard to fix manually, I don't think I've ever succeeded in that.

As for the Grog/Daze/Stun discussion (As far as I know):

Stun: When you flinch or stop moving for a very short duration, if you've ever been hit by a whip while having Daze immunity (Zombor), you'd notice this instantly.
Daze: Inverted controls
Grog: Constantly changing, random controls.
:wink:
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Ah, so he must get groggy when the snakes come.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Hmm. The musketoon's skin is upside down. I mean, the brown part is on the ... the... shooting pipe... and like that. And it's transparent. Not good. And if you make the Junglies drop in the pit, you can't get their weapons... And the same happened to me. I had the idol in my left hand and then I walked on the bridge, and then a snake came and I was dazed, grogged, stunned, whatever and the idol dropped in the pit. Nice one, right? That should be fixed somehow, I think. That the idol could not be "item" in hand... Somehow...
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

Musketoon skin
Yeah, it should be a fairly easy fix anyways.

Vertex
There is a workaround, using faces or something. But as Purple said, I also do not think its a big issue. It can be put on the todo list though. Bishopia City also has a tonne of these problems.

No Refunds
Exactly my thoughts Purple.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

So can we change the snake's effect?