Aria of Ruin PnP - Talk Thread

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Re: Aria of Ruin PnP - Talk Thread

Post by Cimeries »

Yes, I'm using d20 and yes, It was just a difficult check. I have more elaborate ways to make you "antsy" ^^

Edit: Oops, I actually meant to say I was using d10 here. I was probably distracted when I wrote this post...
:wink:
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

Eh, that's what I thought. It's consistent with Deliverance. xD

Also, who would've thought the first thing we encounter would be a tentacled alien? Maybe it's a good thing I didn't pick a female character this time around. :P
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Hey, I may have a propensity for making intense first encounters, but even I wouldn't do something like what you're implying.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Haha, just kidding. :P

...although I suppose after the last GM I was playing with pitted our party against enemies literally 6 times our level as our first encounter and expected us to win (and continued to pit us against enemies 5+ levels higher than us even after that), I wouldn't put it past you. I guess I'm now just flat-out assuming the worst-case scenario by default. :P
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Dang I wish I could show you this thing's design doc because I'm seriously giddy about fighting it.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

Did a lot of rewording and rearranging on what I wrote for this one, sorry if there's still a little too much going on there. :? I'm trying to set up ideas and directions for later, but I worry that it doesn't read or gel so good as is.

Either way, I'm excited to get into the fray.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

You guys wanna do synergy abilities later?
Since we have permadeath rules, I'll refund AP for synergy abilities of dead party members, if it ever comes down to it.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Does the Spell Shield soaking Nica's bolt nullify Spell Scavenger's mark?
Additionally, if it helps I can include when she's attacking something with A Trace & the relevant buff Nica gets in the bold text at the bottom of any post it applies to.

And yes, yes I want to do synergy abilities. :D
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Agent of Dread wrote:Does the Spell Shield soaking Nica's bolt nullify Spell Scavenger's mark?
Yes, since the spell didn't actually hit the target.
Agent of Dread wrote:Additionally, if it helps I can include when she's attacking something with A Trace & the relevant buff Nica gets in the bold text at the bottom of any post it applies to.
Yes, that would be helpful.
Agent of Dread wrote:And yes, yes I want to do synergy abilities. :D
I have a few ideas for those so far, no AP costs yet, just messing around with the concepts.

Ginny:
Spoiler:
Warrior-Scribe (Camping): Ginny can transcribe spellbook abilities down as Nica does with spells. Spellbook abilities may be taught to other able spellcasters and will have the same limited number of uses and mechanics as if Ginny was using them. Alternatively, they may be re-read by Ginny at a different camping instance to gain 1 use of the ability.

Mana-Font (Passive): Whenever Oz uses Wellspring of Magic, Ginny gains 1 cost-free use of Metamagick as a free action.
Nica:
Spoiler:
Arcane Kinematics (Passive): Nica gains Kinesis from Ginny's spellbook attacks.
Oz:
Spoiler:
Spell Crucible (Camping): Oz can create a combined spell from two of his known spells, that behaves as Ginny's spellbook abilities, with a single use. This spell does not take up space in Oz' spellbook but could only be used once before it is forgotten.
Throw me some of yours if you got them.

Edit: You know, it's funny how you have Nica internally thinking of Ginny as an exemplary fighter when Nica's DMG, HIT, and MR are all higher than Ginny's.

On another note...
I'm kind of torn about having Ginny use strategies that I know will work since I can't predict if I would able to think them up as a player...
Attacking the watcher's eye is fairly obvious so I went with that, but there's another thing I want Ginny to do and I don't know how fair it would be for me to use this strategy...

I'm thinking I'll just give myself a d10 roll every one of her turns for things like that and have Ginny "realize" stuff I know on a solid 10 (within reason). Thoughts?
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

3 HP and a bigger sword is enough of a difference for me, we just took different avenues regarding balanced stat spreads. :P
Shade

Post by Shade »

Ah, sorry. I was going to post, but I guess I put it off for too long.

Synergy abilities are cool with me, although I'm not making any promises on my end.
Cimeries wrote:On another note...
I'm kind of torn about having Ginny use strategies that I know will work since I can't predict if I would able to think them up as a player...
Attacking the watcher's eye is fairly obvious so I went with that, but there's another thing I want Ginny to do and I don't know how fair it would be for me to use this strategy...

I'm thinking I'll just give myself a d10 roll every one of her turns for things like that and have Ginny "realize" stuff I know on a solid 10 (within reason). Thoughts?
At that point you might as well be playing an NPC. :/
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Fair point. I'll try to think of a different way to consolidate this. For now, she'll follow cues from other party members.

And sorry for invoking the 24hr rule a few hours too early, I wanted to get multiple post in today, and since Oz wasn't able to do much this turn anyway I figured I should post so that you can actually do something meaningful when you show up.
Shade

Post by Shade »

No harm done. I suppose I should at least have dropped a quick post here in the talk thread saying that I was going to post before deciding to put it off.

EDIT: I also just noticed I forgot to take into account the spell point I got back for the critical hit on my first Cyclone (unless I misinterpreted the Trick Cane's effect and it only applies to physical attacks). I'll fix that while I'm at it.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

It only applies to physical attacks.

I was also unsure about letting you use maneuvers with spells (the whole idea of having maneuvers is so that regular combat is able to compete with spellcasting).
In the end I figured I should allow that but the DCs will be higher to match.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Cimeries wrote:It only applies to physical attacks.
Oh. That's a shame (as that basically means it'll never actually do anything, with -8 Hit and all), but I guess I can see why allowing it to work on spells like Cyclone could potentially lead to shenanigans.
Unfixed.
Cimeries wrote:I was also unsure about letting you use maneuvers with spells (the whole idea of having maneuvers is so that regular combat is able to compete with spellcasting).
In the end I figured I should allow that but the DCs will be higher to match.
Oh, I thought the DC was so much higher because I was further away than the others.
I suppose that's fair, as INT gives a bonus to MR anyway.