Aria of Ruin PnP - Talk Thread

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Re: Aria of Ruin PnP - Talk Thread

Post by Shade »

If you folks insist we continue fighting, I'm willing to edit my post, but I really think escaping while we can is the better move.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

I won't oppose it if everyone else decides to escape, so I added a clause to mine.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Something for later as a failsafe.
  • Last Ace in a Lost Hand [ Active - ? Uses ] [ ?? AP ]
    A river in a dry land...
    -> This ability can only be used if Nica has 0 Spellpoints and Kleptokinesis is not active.
    -> Nica casts a random spell from her Spellbook. If it is a combat spell, it gains +5 Hit and applies two stacks of A Trace.
    -> In lieu of using a Spellpoint, Nica gains 20 Stress when this ability is used.
    -> Nica may target an enemy, but if an ally-targeted spell is cast, the ally targeted is chosen at random.
    -> This ability only recovers uses during rest.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Shade wrote:I'm pretty sure that despite what Cime's post claims, Dweck's first two attacks this turn actually missed (since he rolled too low both times, the flavor text describes him missing, and Hollow C would have had to have 68 HP to still be left with 32 after taking two 18 damage hits).
Correct. I copypasted the roll block and forgot to edit the miss/hit text after those two rolls.
Updated.
Shade wrote:And I literally cannot make another attack without getting a Resolve Check (which, if Cime uses the same math as Darkest Dungeon, is a 75% chance of a catastrophe happening right there)...
The math is a little different, but Oz' odds aren't much better than 75% right now.
Shade wrote:I don't even know if trying to escape while flanked is going to work
It's possible, but expect the Hollow to interfere, try to attack or... do something else. Now that there's only one left, it's less dangerous than on the previous turn.
Shade wrote:Ginny using Catharsis Drive and scoring the world's most ridiculous critical hit.
I forgot to edit my character sheet, Ginny doesn't have any Catharsis Drive uses left. I intended to have her use Blue Lancer from Front > Cover > Flank at the Hollow Watcher, so if we direct fire we could maybe take it out in a turn
Shade wrote:Since it seems to be the norm for every non-randomHollow enemy to get three actions per turn, that watcher is effectively three units.
There's a reason this particular Hollow gets 3 actions, actually, but you don't know it yet. ^^
Most monsters will have some abilities that are minor or even free actions, so they can end up throwing a lot of harm your way in one turn.
Carrion Stags had their Howling ability as a minor action, Hollows have Dark Brand, regular flesh-and-blood Watchers have several abilities like that, so expect this dude to have a few tricks like that too.
Last Ace in a Lost Hand [ Active - ? Uses ] [ ?? AP ]
A river in a dry land...
-> This ability can only be used if Nica has 0 Spellpoints and Kleptokinesis is not active.
-> Nica casts a random spell from her Spellbook. If it is a combat spell, it gains +5 Hit and applies two stacks of A Trace.
-> In lieu of using a Spellpoint, Nica gains 20 Stress when this ability is used.
-> Nica may target an enemy, but if an ally-targeted spell is cast, the ally targeted is chosen at random.
-> This ability only recovers uses during rest.
85 AP.

There's one more thing that Oz can do right now, specifically. There's no guarantee it will help, but it could turn the tables completely.
Only read this if you want a little unfair information you're not supposed to have yet:
Spoiler: Don't Click Me
[spoiler]Have Oz try to draw a card from the Tarot Deck.
[/spoiler]
:wink:
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

How much less without the extra Trace stack? Also, your bolded price is unnerving me for some reason. :P

@Tactics: I wanted to focus fire the boss last turn while it was taking 150% damage. Unfortunately I missed and the soldiers had other ideas... Either way, I think we're within a respectable threshold of killery for it to work this turn too.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Agent of Dread wrote:How much less without the extra Trace stack? Also, your bolded price is unnerving me for some reason. :P
7̜͖̺͔̭͈̭͑̎̈̊̓̏ͯ5̢̩͔͈̰̭͙̻̪̂̽͑̋̑ͬͤ̕ ͦͣͩ̀̀҉̟̠̤̘̞Á̷̦̣̫̭̒P̸͖̮̗̾̽͛̚͟

Spell overhaul (mentioned earlier):

Void Armory: The attack's critical threat and damage increase by 1 and 10% respectively for every 3 WIL, up to +10 and +200%.
Unwind Flesh: Unchanged.
Bastion of Nowhere: WILL check DC d10+[INT].
That Which Wasn't: Monstrosity deals 3d[WIL/3] damage.

Arc Bolt: The bolt has 4+INT/2 Hit.
Entropy Bolt: The victim will take 1d3+WIL/5 Dmg and 5+WIL(cst)-WIL(tgt) Stress for INT turns.

Sonic Clap: Targets failing the check by 5 or more suffer 1d3+INT/5 damage. Damage procs again for every 5 more points of difference.
Darkmatter Vortex: Replace all 1d3 values with 1d3+INT/5
Light: Spell name changed to "Radiant Light". The light orb now adds [INT/4] +HIT and Dodge AC to allies (but not the caster) while it is active, but disables stealth and will make your party easier to see and attract attention.
Life Sense: The caster now gains [INT/5] HIT and Damage against creatures sensed by the spell for the spell's duration. The spell lasts ~INTx5 minutes.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Th-thanks. :P

Man, I didn't take Red Lancer this level because it didn't seem worth putting Kleptokinesis yet another level back for single-target nuke since we hadn't encountered the kinds of health pools that made it mean anything by that point, but it would have actually helped a lot in this situation...
Last edited by Agent of Dread on Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Agent of Dread wrote:@Tactics: I wanted to focus fire the boss last turn while it was taking 150% damage.
Yeah, that was the idea, pretty much. Heck, Cyclone actually dealt fairly respectable damage, all things considered - it's just that with the watcher's insane amounts of healing, it simply wasn't enough.

The constant healing combined with our awful hit rates is also why I really don't want to take any further chances with this battle. Blue Lancer would only do 18 damage if it hits, and even with that +5 Hit bonus it only has a measly ~40% chance of actually even landing.
Even assuming that Blue Lancer hits, we would still need to deal [13 + however many HP it gains at the beginning of the turn] damage in that same turn to finish it off or it will just heal again, and not even Oz is particularly likely to do that much damage with such awful hit rates.

@Spell updates: Neat, there's some good stuff there.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

If Octy doesn't post today, someone else should decide Ameia's actions so her turn isn't wasted on a standard attack. Void Armory is probably our best bet at this point since it can do some notable damage.
If no one does by the time I post, I'll do it myself.

I believe focus fire on the Watcher is a possible way to win this. Dweck is at risk of dying anyway, and a retreat can end up killing a few more soldiers, Dweck and even one of the PCs if we're unlucky.

Better to throw everything we have at them - Oz might as well do another cyclone with Wellspring of Magic since he's going to trigger a resolve check either way - Ginny can forego Blue Lancer this turn and use her major action to Meta-cast Shatter Guard again and her minor action to give a healing flask to someone. Next turn she can use Blue Lancer as a last resort (or spiderwalk the side of the mound for a more successful GTFO).
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Hasn't Ginny already used Metamagick twice?

I'm on board with Void Armoury as well. By the way, because I couldn't quite make head or tail of it from the description, if she casts it on an ally does the damage from its special attack just get added to their next melee? We could potentially sync it up with Blue Lancer...
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Agent of Dread wrote:Hasn't Ginny already used Metamagick twice?
Ah snap you're right...

Agent of Dread wrote:We could potentially sync it up with Blue Lancer...
I like this. Especially if we can get it to crit. Yes, the attack deals the specified damage as extra damage.
Since Ginny's doing x2 Maximized damage with Blue Lancer, her attack could easily do over 25 damage.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Cimeries wrote:If Octy doesn't post today, someone else should decide Ameia's actions so her turn isn't wasted on a standard attack. Void Armory is probably our best bet at this point since it can do some notable damage.
Sure, I can include it in my post.
Cimeries wrote:I believe focus fire on the Watcher is a possible way to win this.
It is. I'm not disputing that.
But if it fails, it'll likely get all of us killed.
Cimeries wrote:Dweck is at risk of dying anyway, and a retreat can end up killing a few more soldiers, Dweck and even one of the PCs if we're unlucky.
Staying can end up killing all of us.
Not to mention that at this point, "victory" would probably be close to meaningless because at this point none of us can afford to take truckloads of unavoidable Stress damage and possibly risk more battles by actually approaching the obelisk.

However, since the consensus seems to be that we should stick around, heck, I guess we'll stick around. I'll edit my post.
I suppose that on the bright side, whoever is still alive by the time the remaining Hollow has used one of its suicide attacks will at least have an easier time escaping.
Shade

Post by Shade »

While I'm at it, AoD's new ability inspired me to rework Last Word to be more of a Limit Break type ability.

Last Word [ Active ] [ ?? AP ] [ Not learned ]
-> This ability can only be used if Oz has no spellpoints remaining and at least 50 Stress.
Allows Oz to cast a spell at no spellpoint cost. The spell's effects are calculated as if Oz' INT and WIL were 5 points higher than they actually are, and any damage dealt will be maximized.
However, using this ability incurs a 50 Stress penalty and prevents Oz from using Wellspring of Magic for the remainder of the battle.

How much for this version?
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Shade wrote: Last Word [ Active ] [ ?? AP ] [ Not learned ]
-> This ability can only be used if Oz has no spellpoints remaining and at least 50 Stress.
Allows Oz to cast a spell at no spellpoint cost. The spell's effects are calculated as if Oz' INT and WIL were 5 points higher than they actually are, and any damage dealt will be maximized.
However, using this ability incurs a 50 Stress penalty and prevents Oz from using Wellspring of Magic for the remainder of the battle.

How much for this version?
I like this version better, very cool.
The way you set the stress penalty ensures that Oz will be forced into a resolve check whenever he uses it, which is a neat (and does affect the AP price positively).
It will be 95 AP for this version. The implied caveat (though it wasn't explicitly stated) is that Oz will also not be able to use this ability more than once in a fight (and thus get more uses for it).

I like how maximized damage as an ability trope was adopted by everyone for their own abilities.
I'll try to think of other interesting mechanics like that that we can use.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Great, I know which two abilities I'm working towards for the time being, then~!