Aria of Ruin PnP - Talk Thread

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Re: Aria of Ruin PnP - Talk Thread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I suppose this is a good time to ask: what's the system for who can and can't wear what armour? Obviously we went with what was contextually appropriate for our starter stuff, but I imagine Nica can't get away with some hypothetical plate mail with negative strength/vitality modifiers, for example.

Also, maybe unnecessary to mention, but I'll wait to post this round.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

For now everything I've listed is usable by all of the characters (I did this on purpose - you'll be able to use the most basic types of gear from each category freely, for the most part)
More advanced gear will have stat requirements.
:wink:
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

Would carrying a shield interfere with spellcasting?
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Ooh, and can we make maneuvers while throwing the daggers?
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Spellcasting: Ok with bucklers, penalties with shields.
Ranged Maneuvers: Yes.
Shade

Post by Shade »

AoD's post made me wonder - you said we can wear a cuirass under our normal clothes. Does this mean that we could essentially wear two pieces of armor at the same time and enjoy the benefits of both as long as one of them is a cuirass, or is this only for aesthetic purposes?

Also, I just came up with a slightly less lame version of "A Mind for Magic":
A Mind for Magic [ Passive ] [ ?? AP ] [ Not learned ]
-> Oz can cast any spell he has seen before, even if he hasn't properly learned it. Doing so requires both his minor and major action as well as an extra spellpoint compared to casting the spell normally, and excludes it from being cast via Quick Spell, but otherwise works as normal.

I probably won't ever be able to afford it, but... just making sure. :V
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Shade wrote:AoD's post made me wonder - you said we can wear a cuirass under our normal clothes. Does this mean that we could essentially wear two pieces of armor at the same time and enjoy the benefits of both as long as one of them is a cuirass, or is this only for aesthetic purposes?
You can wear a cuirass under clothes - things like a robe or Nica's coat will work.
"suits" of armor, like leather armor will exclude you from equipping a cuirass.
Same goes for breastplates and the like.
Oz' padded vest, for your purpose, won't work with a cuirass, since it's an armor roughly of the same size covering the same area as a cuirass.
Shade wrote:Also, I just came up with a slightly less lame version of "A Mind for Magic":
-> Oz can cast any spell he has seen before, even if he hasn't properly learned it. Doing so requires both his minor and major action as well as an extra spellpoint compared to casting the spell normally, and excludes it from being cast via Quick Spell, but otherwise works as normal.
250 AP.
The price is steep but I genuinely would like to see you get this ability - the amount of strategic depth you can add to fights with this is substantial.

You should consider this as an active ability - it would cost 100 AP per use in that form.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Cimeries wrote:You can wear a cuirass under clothes - things like a robe or Nica's coat will work.
"suits" of armor, like leather armor will exclude you from equipping a cuirass.
Same goes for breastplates and the like.
Oz' padded vest, for your purpose, won't work with a cuirass, since it's an armor roughly of the same size covering the same area as a cuirass.
I see, that makes sense.
Cimeries wrote:
Shade wrote:Also, I just came up with a slightly less lame version of "A Mind for Magic":
250 AP.
The price is steep but I genuinely would like to see you get this ability - the amount of strategic depth you can add to fights with this is substantial.

You should consider this as an active ability - it would cost 100 AP per use in that form.
Hmmm, I suppose 100 AP for one use per battle works for me - it's not like I'd use it much more than that anyway. I can always upgrade it to the passive version later if I have AP to spare.
So yeah, definitely adding that one to the list!

(Just to avoid confusion, I re-named the original version to "Photographic Memory" so that I won't have two different abilities with the same name on my list. At 50 AP per level I probably won't ever actually learn that one, but I'd like to keep the option.)
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I wonder if it wouldn't be better to consider Oz's padded vest a cuirass-type garment itself. :o

Also, would A Mind for Magic only start to accumulate unlearned spells from the time of taking it? Well, not that we probably won't see the stuff we've fought so far again anyway.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

A Mind for Mischief [1/1] [ Active ] [ ?? AP ] [ Not learned ]
Ginny can give two ability uses to activate any B.K ability listed in the Compendium, even if she doesn't carry a copy of it in her spellbook. Doing so requires 1 minor action more than the selected ability calls for, and cannot be used in combination with other abilities like Metamagick, Weaving Strike, Soul Crucible, etc.
This ability may only be learned if Oz is in the party and has learned A Mind for Magic.

Just for the lulz. Maybe I'll take it much later in the game.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Yay! Take that, crest!

I take it you're not counting Grace Under Pressure for out-of-combat rolls? Two of those checks would've been re-rolls if you did. :think:
(Or maybe I should display it more clearly? A little star symbol might not be the most obvious indicator in hindsight.)
Agent of Dread wrote:Also, would A Mind for Magic only start to accumulate unlearned spells from the time of taking it?
The way it's worded would imply that it applies to any spell Oz has ever seen (or, for the purposes of this PnP, any spell he's seen since the beginning of this PnP), but I too would like to know for sure. :o
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Shade wrote:Or maybe I should display it more clearly?
Please do, I keep losing track of it. ^^
I'll do those rerolls in a bit.
Shade wrote: ...For the purposes of this PnP, any spell he's seen since the beginning of this PnP
This. It's easier to manage anyway.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Cimeries wrote:
Shade wrote:Or maybe I should display it more clearly?
Please do, I keep losing track of it. ^^
Alright, I changed it to green text for now. Does that work for you or should I go look for some sort of more visually distinct icon like the ones you use for your abilities?
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

That's distinct enough, I think.

Updated the game posts and compendium.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Great, and sorry for the trouble!

I'll post in some 8-ish to 10-ish hours, probably.