Aria of Ruin PnP - Talk Thread

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Re: Aria of Ruin PnP - Talk Thread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I've just used the "prepare to retreat" clause as a sort of blanket statement for whatever extent to which we can retreat with a minor action in my posts so far.

EDIT: Also remember that increasing the Watchers' stress by lopping off tendrils will heavily reduce the Nightmare Fuel bonus.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

Agent of Dread wrote:I've just used the "prepare to retreat" clause as a sort of blanket statement for whatever extent to which we can retreat with a minor action in my posts so far.
Well, I'd like to know for sure! I really don't want any of us to be withhin attacking range of these things after we've made our moves. xD
Agent of Dread wrote:EDIT: Also remember that increasing the Watchers' stress by lopping off tendrils will heavily reduce the Nightmare Fuel bonus.
While that's true in the case of Ameia and Oz, the way Nightmare Fuel's description is worded implies it'll actually increase the damage they do to Nica and Ginny.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Shade wrote:the way Nightmare Fuel's description is worded implies it'll actually increase the damage they do to Nica and Ginny.
Not precisely; since they have fewer tendrils they will have fewer attacks - so it increases total damage variability in both directions (and increases the odds of all attacks missing).

As for retreating - investing more actions will increases your odds of success, but a minor action is enough to attempt a retreat.
:wink:
Shade

Post by Shade »

Hm, I see.

I'll make a proper post when I get the chance to. Should be withhin the next 12 hours.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

I'd like to share something about how the story and events in it unfold sometimes:

Sometimes as I'm writing out a post, I'll come up with more than one way for things to develop (in this instance, it had to do with whether the watchers will try to chase you or not).
When I can't decide, I'll define a percentage for each option and roll a random number to determine which one gets written. Sometimes I end up actually regretting the outcome and that's how I know the option I got isn't that good, so I eliminate it and roll again or write something else.

Sometimes I also come up with something crazy and really unexpected and assign it a low probability on purpose, with the caveat that if it gets rolled, I'll write it in no matter what*.
Long story short, you almost got ambushed and flanked by a fifth watcher just now.

* This is the reason Bruce ended up stabbing Kirisa in Deliverance - the whole doppelganger-demon bit emerged organically out of a roll like that.

Couple of Synergy abilities for Ginny+Ameia I came up with:
Black Knight [1/1] [Active] - (Ameia)
Ginny may use one of Ameia's known spells as if it were a B.K ability in her own spellbook.
This includes integration into other abilities such as Metamagick, Weaving Strike, etc.

Beginning of the End [Passive] - (Ameia)
If Ginny activates War Banner following Ameia's Rude Awakening ability, War Banner inherits a unique effect based on the spell that Ameia cast to trigger her ability.

Examples:
That Which Wasn't - Summons additional monstrosities, 1 for each party member.
Bastion of Nowhere - Allies also take minimized damage for 3 turns.

In other news, I have about 7 days off and will be putting up at least 1 GM post per day until 2/1.
Please try to at least match this pace so we can make the most out of this.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I'm actually away with family until that date, but I should be able to make at least one post each of those days... however, it might be at even less convenient times than normal.
I'll let someone else go first here and post when I wake up.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Huh, interesting!
Cimeries wrote:Long story short, you almost got ambushed and flanked by a fifth watcher just now.
Good god, why did I even bother putting +4 into perception if I keep failing every roll related to perception anyway? That would've been Game Over. xD
Cimeries wrote:In other news, I have about 7 days off and will be putting up at least 1 GM post per day until 2/1.
Please try to at least match this pace so we can make the most out of this.
Sure, shouldn't be a problem on my end.

Post is coming up.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I kept forgetting to ask about this, but doesn't the "ability uses refresh out of battle" thing coupled with Ginny demonstrating the use of War Banner out of combat essentially give us its effects for free at the start of every battle?
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

I used that when we were still ambivalent about when active abilities recharge, and priced it under the assumption that it happens when resting, so that wouldn't be right.

What I'll do is I'll state it outright in War Banner's description that it only recharges during rest - that way it's consistent and I can still use it like that when needed, if we're carrying too much stress out of combat or if I see a battle coming up.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Okay, nice. I suppose that standardises it as a caveat for other similar actives too. :)
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Felt like this post was pretty dense and didn't have the exact storytelling structure I wanted, but I think I got everything I wanted across. ^^
Shade

Post by Shade »

Just wanted to let you folks know that I want to make a post, but won't get a chance to withhin the next ~24 hours (New Year's Eve and stuff). Please don't advance the plot without me~
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I was going to wait for you but I'll write something soon so Cime doesn't have to wait on me after yours. Have a good time. :P
Shade

Post by Shade »

Thanks!

Oh yeah, while I'm here:
Happy new year, folks!
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

This is sort of a critical point so I'll wait for Octy's input - if she prefers to have Ameia recover beforehand so she won't be fighting Watchers with 100+ stress, we'll rest. In any case, Ginny will use War Banner at the start of the fight to lower that stress and give us a little edge. ^^

I'd also like to make a post on 3/1 and 4/1 to make up for this, and 5/1 and 6/1 are weekend days, so consider the "streak" as ongoing starting tomorrow. If time permits, I'd even like to do two per day on Fri and Sat as the party will probably be in combat during that time.

If we decide to attack now, the next post will have a list of the Quartermaster's updated stock before the description of the second approach, so just buy whatever gear you think you need and then continue reading.

And I almost forgot: Happy new years and с новым годом my dudes.