Aria of Ruin PnP - Talk Thread

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Re: Aria of Ruin PnP - Talk Thread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I was waiting practically all day to continue the fight and then while I slept you two concluded it completely. :P
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Heh, I anticipated that the watcher would be dead by the time your turn came around, so when I calculated Shade's turn and saw that he killed it, I just finished the fight so we can move on to the next abomination.

Oops.
:wink:
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

Bring it on. :P

While I'm at it... I still like the concept of Disquieting Serenity, if just for flavor purposes, so how about a tamer version:

Disquieting Serenity [ Passive ] [ ?? AP ]
-> Oz retains full control of himself even when suffering from an Affliction.
Additionally, whenever Oz is (one of) the target(s) of any action while suffering from an Affliction, the user of that action receives 10 Stress unless they pass a WIL check against 6+WIL (whether they're friend or foe).

(This is, of course, assuming that Afflictions work like they do in Darkest Dungeon.)
Last edited by Shade on Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

How's this? I finally got something that wasn't just "teamwork Spell Scavenger". :P
  • Red Lancer [ Passive ] [ ?? AP ]
    ???
    -> If Nica is in Cover when Ginny performs Blue Lancer, Nica can expend a use of Lunge to perform an identical attack on the same target [ using her own major & minor action / as a free action ].
    -> She is also susceptible to the Stress penalty, but they will only suffer it if they both miss.
Last edited by Agent of Dread on Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Finally came up with some synergy abilities for Oz as well.

Intimidating Confidence [ Active ] [ ?? AP ]
-> This is a minor action. If Ginny uses War Banner this turn, Oz follows up with his own unique brand of "encouragement", crushing his enemies' will to fight.
Unless they pass a WIL check against 6+WIL, all enemies suffer 10 Stress and have the damage of their next attack minimized.

Maelstrom of Magic [ Passive ] [ ?? AP ]
-> Allows Oz to make a maneuver (spells only) against enemies marked with A Trace by Nica. If successful, A Trace is consumed and the target is stunned for a turn.

I'd also like an AP evaluation for Spell Crucible. Sounds like fun.
Spell Crucible [ Camping ] [ ?? AP ]
-> Oz can create a combined spell from two of his known spells, that behaves as Ginny's spellbook abilities, with a single use. This spell does not take up space in Oz' spellbook but can only be used once before it is forgotten.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

I'd appreciate if you guys subscribed to the forum games subforum so that you can get email alerts for any new posts.
I'm currently subscribed and it makes new posts harder to miss.
Shade

Post by Shade »

I check the forums multiple times each day, so I don't really see the point on my end. It's just that I've been a little busy the last few days, and it's not like I always need to go first each turn, do I?
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Not necessarily, but I get the feeling that AoD is usually waiting for you, and I try to avoid going first since I don't want to take the spotlight from the other characters.
I'm purposely trying to avoid being the "leader" type this time, since my characters have a tendency to do that in past games.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I have been waiting for your lead for the most part, yeah. Although I realise that it's rather appropriate for me to take initiative here anyway, so my bad there.
Shade

Post by Shade »

I'll try to get a post done withhin the next 24 hours.
Shade

Post by Shade »

There we go. Sorry it took so long, although considering Cime took just as long for his previous post, I'd say we're now even. :P
(Sorry, AoD!)
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I can directly follow up to Shade's post or wait for another of Cime's, either is fine.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

If I were to obtain another Watcher Eye, could I attempt to study it again or does having failed once mean I missed my chance?
You can study it again if you find another one.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Another question: what can we expect in terms of Stress recovery, especially without Camping skills that reduce Stress?
I noticed that unlike in Darkest Dungeon, scoring critical hits and kills didn't seem to give us any Stress relief, and my whole high-Stress-build is going to be dangerous if there's no real way to get rid of it again.
More details about the Stress system in general would be nice, too, especially since I haven't gotten a response to my Disquieting Serenity rework.
For instance, the ruleset mentions Afflictions and Virtues (like in DD), but it doesn't say what they actually do, just that one is negative and one is positive. Is it just stat penalties/boni, or will afflicted characters sometimes act on their own and passively inflict Stress on others like they do in DD?
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Shade wrote:Another question: what can we expect in terms of Stress recovery, especially without Camping skills that reduce Stress?
Entirely circumstantial. A night around a campfire with no food, luxuries or camping abilities will recover about 5 stress, assuming you aren't ambushed. Better conditions will grant more stress recovery, worse conditions will lower it and may even result in stress increasing.
You will be able to buy food and drink to increase stress recovery during camp, and you'll have other ways to reduce it available if balance requires it.
Shade wrote:I noticed that unlike in Darkest Dungeon, scoring critical hits and kills didn't seem to give us any Stress relief.
I've actually forgotten to give you some stress relief for that... You'll get some next time.
Shade wrote:The ruleset mentions Afflictions and Virtues (like in DD), but it doesn't say what they actually do, just that one is negative and one is positive. Is it just stat penalties/boni, or will afflicted characters sometimes act on their own and passively inflict Stress on others like they do in DD?
The details of the stress system are currently a mix of secret and undecided. I like to make stuff as I go, and I like to reveal stuff as we play, so...
You should know that it isn't an exact copy of DD's stress system.

For example, one thing that should be noted: PCs will never act on their own, regardless of their affliction. I should have probably clarified this earlier.
Passively inflicting stress on others probably isn't going to happen either.

I'll do some APing tomorrow.