Aria of Ruin PnP - Talk Thread

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Re: Aria of Ruin PnP - Talk Thread

Post by Agent of Dread »

The case scenario for Shatter Guard was to have Ginny prepare for Oz's subsequent turn, since his INIT gets him into the window that way. But if they're supercharging theirs it won't matter in the end. :? Who gets priority if their INITs and Oz's are equal?

It's a shame that interesting interaction with the horn only showed up now, because I'd have quite liked to try hacking one or two off before setting to work on their actual health bars if we weren't already in such dire straits. Next time they show up, though...

If Shade wants to use Cyclone I'm all in on at least another turn. I can't imagine Stag B will survive all four blades and I'm willing to have Nica soak a hit from just one stag. Although I'm anxious about Ginny being on Death's Door while she's still got bleeding to do...
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

Cimeries wrote:You are correct. I may have said this in Deliverance or Dream Eater, but this applies here as well. If you wanted to activate and then deactivate it in the very same turn, then you would need to use up a minor action.
Great, I'm willing to give Cyclone a go, then. Post coming up.
Cimeries wrote:I love watching you guys speculate. ^^
The actual explanation is hinted in both the mechanics and in the flavor text in combat. It's meant to be possible to figure out, but not immediately apparent.
I guess it could also be due to the massive overkill Ginny inflicted upon one of them, although AC wasn't listed as a penalty, so I figured it had to be something else. :P
...or it's something else entirely and I'm just dense.
Agent of Dread wrote:The case scenario for Shatter Guard was to have Ginny prepare for Oz's subsequent turn, since his INIT gets him into the window that way. But if they're supercharging theirs it won't matter in the end. :? Who gets priority if their INITs and Oz's are equal?
Well, I went first the first time, even before they had a penalty to INIT, so I should still go first this turn. Dunno about the next one.
...although one of their howls did fail for some reason, so their INIT might not actually increase. :V
Agent of Dread wrote:If Shade wants to use Cyclone I'm all in on at least another turn. I can't imagine Stag B will survive all four blades and I'm willing to have Nica soak a hit from just one stag. Although I'm anxious about Ginny being on Death's Door while she's still got bleeding to do...
It's definitely sketchy. Even if Cyclone actually hits, the third Stag isn't even damaged while all three of us are going to be at Death's Door or very close to it, and at +7 Hit there's no way in hell we're dodging any of their attacks.
Furthermore, my Stress is going to skyrocket if we keep fighting. I'm fine with hitting 50+ (that would actually improve my chances of scoring a hit), but hitting an actual Resolve Check could spell trouble.
...so there are a lot of reasons we should probably bail, but I don't particularly feel like failing our very first quest (especially since we likely could have avoided this predicament if I hadn't gone "lol I know it's a trap, but let's fall for it anyway"), so I'm willing to push my luck out of sheer pride. :V
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

AP'ing some different abilities for Ginny.
Tactician - Increases Ginny's HIT with Martial Weapons by [INT/2].
60 AP for [INT/2]
150 AP for [INT]
Grim Bounty - Ginny can sacrifice monster components to gain ability uses. The abilities acquired are based on those available from the same monster, and will always have 1 use only. Cannot be used in combat.
40 AP
Lay On Hands [1/1] - Ginny can heal party members by sacrificing a use of one of her spellbook abilities. The base amount of HP restored is equal to the damage caused by Ginny's melee attack. Some spent abilities may transfer a part of their effect to the target of this ability, have different additional bonuses, or amplify the healing effect.
40 AP per use.
Guided Strikes - Ginny gains +[WIL] HIT, but may not use spellbook abilities during this time. This ability also acquires +1 bonus damage whenever an ally casts a spell. The bonus damage is reset at the end of combat. Activating this ability will always cost a minor action.
85 AP
:wink:
Shade

Post by Shade »

Phew. That went better than it probably should have. :P
...and yes, I'm fully aware that I got quite favorable rolls there. I guess even I can get lucky every once in a while. xD

I guess I'll take this as a learning experience. "Overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer" indeed, so I'll not just charge in blindly next time. And I guess I should take better note of stuff like the horns next time, although at this point I'm probably better off just putting all of my spellpower into finishing it off rather than destroying its last horn.

Post coming up.

Cimeries wrote:
Lay On Hands [1/1] - Ginny can heal party members by sacrificing a use of one of her spellbook abilities. The base amount of HP restored is equal to the damage caused by Ginny's melee attack. Some spent abilities may transfer a part of their effect to the target of this ability, have different additional bonuses, or amplify the healing effect.
40 AP per use.
Does Lay On Hands really need a restricted number of uses per battle when it's already restricted by how many spell uses you have?
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Shade wrote:Does Lay On Hands really need a restricted number of uses per battle when it's already restricted by how many spell uses you have?
I assume it's to stop Ginny being relegated to the heal-bot and never needing/getting to make full & creative use of her ever-changing abilities.

I was prototyping a grappler/berserker-type character the other day and almost all of the abilities I thought of served better as Passives than as Actives...
I suppose particularly good Passives need to be Actives to make them affordable.
Shade

Post by Shade »

I wonder who got diseased hard enough to wipe the Memorial from the face of the internet. :P
Agent of Dread wrote:According to the rules I was calculcating Nica's MR and INIT lower than they should have been. :?
Actually, now that you mention it, my AC is wrong, too - it doesn't take my vest into account. I initially thought we were supposed to list only the modifiers, without equipment, but judging from the combat so far, that doesn't seem to be the case.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Shade wrote: Actually, now that you mention it, my AC is wrong, too - it doesn't take my vest into account. I initially thought we were supposed to list only the modifiers, without equipment, but judging from the combat so far, that doesn't seem to be the case
Nah, you're supposed to list them separately. I forgot to take your vest into account that one time in the first turn, but didn't bother fixing it since it wouldn't change anything.

Re. Curing Diseases -
Your characters have a small, VIT based chance to cure themselves from a disease when resting (but other party members have a small VIT based chance of contracting it, so probably not your best option).

You could see a healer that will cure you for a fee, if you can find one.

Last option is to use specialized medicine, if you can find some.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Cimeries wrote:
Shade wrote: Actually, now that you mention it, my AC is wrong, too - it doesn't take my vest into account. I initially thought we were supposed to list only the modifiers, without equipment, but judging from the combat so far, that doesn't seem to be the case
Nah, you're supposed to list them separately. I forgot to take your vest into account that one time in the first turn, but didn't bother fixing it since it wouldn't change anything.
Oh. Alright then~

...yep, next time I'm about to do something stupid, please go ahead and actually stop me. Contracting a disease (not to mention almost dying) was absolutely not worth it, and I take full responsibility. Sorry, AoD. :/
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

To be fair, we nearly had two cases of it. :P The max HP penalty is going to, how you say, "bite", though.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

FYI, AoD, Nica rolled a 1 on her disease check...

... On a 1d100 percentile roll. I think the RNG straight up hates her.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Ouch. :o Well, I can at least hope that will be her crit-fail out of the way for a while...
Agent of Dread wrote:More house cleaning, I realised I had Spell Scavenger listed for 20 AP more than I'd actually taken in components for it. Now if I could just level up...!
Though the question is, do I take major action!Red Lancer and nuke some stuff off the face of the continent, take a smattering of uses of Restless so I can keep Nica out of the front lines while she's diseased, or save for Kleptokinesis...?
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I've been meaning to for a while, so I ended up doing some sketches of Oz and Ginny while I should have been drawing other stuff. :P
Spoiler: Tall images
ImageImage
I'm not as happy with the Ginny one, probably because I picked a profile pose, but good ones that aren't rehashes of the reference art are hard to think of... Either way, figured I oughtta post 'em up.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Very nice, thank you!
You captured Oz pretty well. ^^
I especially like their poses and expressions! (Ginny's too! I don't see anything wrong with it. In fact, I think I actually like your sketch better than her reference art. xD)
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Those are very good man.
And I agree with Shade, I think Ginny' pose, features and expression here fit her personality and background more than the reference image.

Oz totally looks like a playmage fuckboy swell young gentleman.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I forced myself not to make her too cute, even though I totally think she's cute... but I'm glad I hit the right note, I appreciate it guys. :)

I'll probably try to draw something with all 3 when a good composition comes to mind. At which point I will conquer my allergy to the more detailed parts of Ginny's armour. :P