Aria of Ruin PnP - Talk Thread

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Aria of Ruin PnP - Talk Thread

Post by Cimeries »

Story:
The Rødlev Dynasty. After centuries of bloody conquest, the empire has claimed the entire continent and brought together the largest sovereignty in known history. For the past 50 years, peace and prosperity have enveloped the land.

You are a member of the Rødlev military operative branch, a force tasked with using your talents and skills to solve problems across the vast reaches of the empire. Years of training and several well-performed missions have solidified your position within the branch as a valuable operative.

Your duties take you to the far north-eastern reaches of the continent, to the town of Korsgrad, where rumors say a mysterious giant stone obelisk emerged from the ground one day. Rumors of this obelisk have reached the ears of the palace and caused them to assemble your group to investigate.
The name Aria of Ruin totally sounds like a Castlevania title, but, I assure you, it is not...
AoR will follow a chapter-based structure, like Deliverance back in the day.
The setting is pretty much standard dark fantasy. Story is still WIP for the most part but I have my outlines and the prologue more or less ready. Of course, nothing is set in stone as this is an RP and chapters may change and expand according to your character's actions in the game.

I intend to make my own character as well, but the type of character I make will depend on the rest of the party, so it will be the last one to join.

Also, keep in mind that there are perma-death rules in effect and all PCs (and NPCs) are at risk of dying in combat.

Rules:

Roleplaying
Spoiler:
1. Each player may only have one character at a time. Your characters can act independently from each other if you wish to. Please only join if you fully intend to be active.
2. The story expects Human characters. While this is a D&D-like fantasy setting, there are no Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, etc. If you wish to play anything other than a human character, you need to make a convincing case. You are free to choose or make up any class concept you like, however, the story assumes that your characters already know each other and are members of the same organisation, so keep that in mind.
3. Please try to contribute to the story when playing; this is an RPG, after all. Make your character act logically. Strive to make it interesting. A good character has their own personality, their own reasons to fight and their own story. You don't need to type up a whole novel each time you post, especially in battles, but try to make your character interesting so that both you and the other players will be able to love your character (or at least love to hate it).
4. Describe your character's actions in third person, for writing consistency. Write anything your character actually says in "". I also recommend to give your character a personal talking color.
5. Since you will be having quite some code in each of your posts, I recommend copying that code by clicking "quote" at your last own post. Just remember to update any changed values and remove the quote-tags afterwards.
6. If you want to say anything out of character in the game thread, use olive as a color please. If all you want to do is to say something out of character and isn't related to what is currently going on, please do it in the OOC thread, not in a game thread.
7. Whenever I post I'll add a status table that indicates the most important stats of your characters, like formation, or the current HP of each character and enemy (if there are any). The current location is also shown.
8. When you're done talking and want me to move the game forward, make sure to post a clear action on what you're doing next (having your character say that he thinks about doing XYZ and having him actually do XYZ are two completely different things), or else it's possible that I don't recognize it as an actual action and nothing happens.
Character Stats
Spoiler:
9. Aside from the main attribues, described below, every character's has four important parameters: HP (Health Points), EXP (Experience Points), Stress, and AP (Ability Points).

HP (Health Points) represent your character's health.

EXP (experience Points) are gained for pretty much everything you do, such as helping other people, disarming a trap, picking a lock, defeating a monster, etc.

Stress is a measure of how taxed your character's psyche is. Stress accumulates during combat and in tense situations, and must be managed carefully to avoid your characters succumbing to its effects. Stress can be reduced by resting, performing calming activities, reaching catharsis in some manner (i.e winning fights, scoring critical hits, role-play), etc.
Stress starts off at 0 and may rise to up to 100. If stress reaches 100, various psychological effects may afflict the character, depending on the situation and the person in question. Some of these effects will be afflictions (negative effects) and some will be virtues (temporary positive effects).
A character suffering from a stress affliction will continue to have their stress increase beyond the 100 point mark. If it ever reaches 200 points, the character will suffer a heart attack and their HP will instantly drop to 0, resetting their stress to 100.
A character with a stress virtue effect will not continue to accumulate stress past the 100 pt mark.

AP (Ability Points) are acquired every level, and are used to learn new skills and abilities that your character can use.

10. Advancing to the next character level always takes 100 EXP. After a level up your EXP are reset to 0, though any leftover EXP will be kept (e. g. reaching 108 EXP would leave you with 8 EXP after the level up). Gaining a level will grant you 50 additional AP and allow you to distribute 2 points on your main attributes (see below).

11. Players may define the abilities and skills that they learn themselves, but I decide how much AP they actually cost to learn. Remember, you can learn almost any kind of ability you like, allowing you develop your character exactly as you like as long as you have enough AP.
There may be some limitations on the maximun amount of AP that skills can have invested in them, but these limitations can be lifted as you play.

12. Each (player) character is defined first by varying scores in the following seven main attributes:

STR represents raw physical strength, skill-at-arms, and weapons training. Every positive point increases your HIT by 1, whilst every second point increases your max HP by 1 and the damage of your weapon attacks by 1.
Negative points do not give a damage penalty, but each negative point still gives a -1 HIT penalty. Every second negative point reduces max HP by 1.

DEX represents dexterity, timing and preciseness. In combat, every positive point increases HIT by 1 and every other point increases AC and MR by 1.

AGI represent agility, speed and reflexes. Every positive point of increases your AC and combat Initiative by 1.
Every other point increases MR by 1.
Agility checks are commonly used to dodge spells and most forms of area attacks and effects.

VIT represents vitality, hardiness, constitution, and resistance to pain and illnesses. Every point adds 2 to your max HP.
VIT affects your ability to resist tackles, poisons, diseases, and harsh physical conditions in general.
Negative Fortitude reduces your HP by 1 per point.

INT represents intellect, learning, mental capacity, reasoning and deduction skills. You can memorize a number of spells equal to your Intellect, and cast as many spells every encounter.
Every second point of INT increases you combat Initiative by 1.

WIL represents Willpower, conviction, faith, and sheer inner force. Willpower contributes to the raw destructiveness and potency of your spells, and helps you resist Stress, mental effects and spells of a mind-affecting nature, and makes you better at inflicting them on others. WIL doesn't affect spell damage directly, but rather, all spell damage is derived from your WIL stat directly (with the specifics being written in the spell's description on a case-by-case basis).

PER represents Perception, or how honed your senses are, how likely you are to notice small details that others may miss, how aware of the situation are you, and how likely you are to detect hidden enemies, traps, secrets, and so forth.
Every point of PER increases your combat initiative and MR by 1.

From your basic attributes, secondary statistics are derived:
+DMG is your damage bonus from STR.
HIT is your hit bonus, added to attacking rolls in combat.
AC is the armor class representing your character's ability to dodge, block or nullify attacks. This is added to your armor's AC in combat (unless your character is unable to dodge for some reason).
MR is your Maneuver rating. This is a bonus added to your maneuver checks. Maneuvers are discussed below.
INIT, or Combat initiative, dictates turn order in battle. Higher initiative means your character acts sooner.
Spellpoints: One point is consumed every time you cast a spell. Your maximum number of Spellpoints is equal to your INT score. Resting recovers your Spellpoints.

13. Distribute your starting stats wisely. Every new character starts out at level 0, with 15 max HP (before STR/VIT), and 300 AP to define your abilities.
Your starting attributes (STR,DEX etc.) are yours do define according to what best suits your character, and range from -5 to +5. The total sum of your starting attributes all added together must not exceed +5.

You will gain 50 AP, 1 max HP and 1 attribute point every time you level up.

14. Abilities are bought with AP. They are the equivalent of D&D feats, and Abilities and skills in our older system.
They fall into four categories:

A. Passive abilities are abilities whose effect is permanent from the moment they are acquired.
Examples:
[quote]
Weapon Mastery: +1 HIT and DMG when wielding my weapon of choice in combat (one handed sword, polearm, bow, etc).
Stealthy: +2 on stealth checks.
Combat Premonition: I can see small details from the very near future. If I am hit by a sneak attack or an ambush maneuver, I get a second chance to reroll my check.[/quote]
B. Active abilities are abilities that must be activated. They can be fancy attack maneuvers, unique actions, reaction abilities, etc. Active abilities have a limit of how many times they can be used per encounter. More uses means a steeper AP cost.
Examples:
[quote]Rain of Steel [1/1]: Allows me to simultaneously throw as many ranged thrown weapons as my DEX modifier, in a single action.
Leap Attack [1/1]: Allows me to attack a target even if their formation or some sort of effect does not normally permit me to do so (for example if another enemy is guarding them with their shield or body and such).
Defensive Roll [1/1]: Once per encounter, when a hit would normally take me below 0 HP, I reduce the damage in half, remaining with no less than 1 HP.[/quote]
C. Sustained abilities are modes that can be turned on and off and offer some kind of bonus in exchange for a malus. You can only turn sustained abilities on/off at the beginning of your own turn, but they are otherwise unlimited.
Examples:
[quote]Combat Expertise: Converts my +DMG bonus from STR into bonus +AC.
Quickened Spell: Casting a spell is considered a minor action in this mode, but my hastened movements and the tremendous concentration they require make me an easier target, reducing my HIT and AC by 2 each.
Daggerdance: Whenever I successfully dodge a melee attack, my AC is increased by 1 for the remainder of this encounter. This bonus is cumulative.
Being hit in melee resets the bonus, causes me to take extra damage equal to the stacked AC bonus, and ends this sustained ability prematurely. Ending this ability manually carries no negative effect.[/quote]
D. Camping abilities may be used whenever your character rests. They do not have a defined number of uses but will only trigger if a reasonable time has passed since they were last used. You must state that your character has used a Camping ability during camp if you wish to activate it.
Examples:
[quote]Encourage: Reduce the stress of one companion by 15.
Psych Up: +10 stress on self, increase damage by 20% for the next fight.
Marching Plan: All allies gain +4 combat initiative for the next 3 fights.
Sharpen Weapon: Increases MR by 5 for the next fight..

Check out this list if you want ideas: http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Camping_Skills
[/quote]

! Please note that there are some ability restrictions in place to maintain balance. You may not have abilities that behave in the following ways:

A. You cannot pick passive abilities that permanently increase any of the main attributes. (Sustained abilities, or active abilities with a limited duration are fine, but I would prefer if you affected the secondary attributes with those, instead).

B. You cannot pick passive abilities that can result in some form of permanent empowering to your character.
(For example: +1 max HP after killing an enemy.)

C. A single ability cannot have more than 250 AP invested into it. (This max value will change during gameplay)

15. Spellcasting: In order to cast spells, your character needs to learn them, adding them to their spellbook. You can learn spells from scrolls and books you come across in your adventures, and NPCs can teach you spells as well.
The number of spells you can memorize is equal to your Intellect modifier, which is also the number of spells you may cast per-encounter. You can learn abilities to increase the number of spells you can memorize or cast above what your intellect allows, if you wish.
Once your spellbook is full, you will have to forget an existing spell if you'd like to learn a new one.
Unlike in our old PnPs, you cannot define your own spells (balance ahoy), but when you start the game, you can ask for spells of your liking (e.g "I want a spell that shoots fireballs"), and I will assign you the appropriate spells.

This effectively makes spell-casting accessible to anyone with a positive intellect score. A warrior can dabble and learn one or two spells to help turn the tide of battle.

You can affect your spells with abilities, for example:
[quote]Cold Ember (Sustained ability): All fire spells that I cast in this mode deal cold damage instead.
Augment Healing (Passive): Healing spells cast by me are 20% more effective.
Extend Spell [1/1]: Doubles the duration of a duration spell that I cast.[/quote]
Combat
Spoiler:
16. Your inventory contains 10 slots for items. Some items will stack in a single inventory slot (for example, your character can hold 5 small potions of the same type in a single inventory slot). Inventory capacity can be increased by equipping certain items or with abilities. Equipped items do not take up room in your inventory.

17. If a character's HP drop to 0, your character is in a fatal condition and may be susceptible to a Killing Blow. Your HP can drop into the negative as you sustain damage, causing all sorts of ill effects. Also, the further HP drops below 0, the more likely that your character will suffer a Killing Blow the next time they are struck.
A Killing Blow, is, as the name suggests, a blow that kills your character.
You may create a new character if your old one has perished.

18. In combat, you may do one attack (major action) and one minor action or just two minor actions per turn. Anything that is not just talking counts as a minor action (e.g. using an item from your inventory, changing your formation, etc.). After having done your actions, wait for my next post, unless all you want to do is to make your character say something.

19. You may perform maneuvers in combat. A maneuver is a standard attack targeting a particular spot or performed in a certain way (e.g a feint, a leg sweep, an attack on the head or an exposed spot in the target's armor).
The success of a maneuver is determined by a roll against your character's Maneuver Rating (MR), derived from their attributes. The DC value depends on the circumstance (how flashy/fancy/complex/difficult of an attack it is).
There is no penalty or risk for using maneuvers (aiming to encourage creative combat) - if a maneuver fails but the attack itself connects, your character will land a standard attack instead.

20. You can choose between two possible positions for battles - Front or Cover. The front can be attacked by anything, but can also attack with anything itself. Covered characters can only be hit by ranged attacks, certain skills/spells and attacks that hit multiple characters - however, this only applies if there is at least one character standing at the front. If no-one at the front is left, melee attacks will be able to hit covered characters as well, so beware. Also note that if you're attacked from behind, your front and cover will be reversed from the flanking enemy's point of view.

21. If it looks like you're about to lose a battle, you might want to try to escape instead of waiting until you're defeated. Usually, if you try to escape and there aren't any obstacles in your way, you will succeed. However, if you escape, any party members not capable of moving (e. g. because of being unconscious) will be left behind (carrying them would slow you down too much). Usually, this means that they'll be captured or killed, depending on the situation.

22. Be creative. There are many ways to defeat your enemies, and not all of them necessarily involve defeating them yourself or even reducing their HP to 0 at all.

23. In a battle, whenever a turn passes in which a player hasn't posted (and the other players haven't chosen what that character should do either), his character will simply attack the first enemy on the list with a simple normal attack if he can hit an enemy from where he's standing.
If you don't want that to happen, simply add a "Script" tag in your character's profile (in the spoiler) that tells me what your character should do in which situation. This can be as detailed as you want; if you want, you can even make a whole universal strategy to be used when you're absent, and I will make your character act accordingly to it (unless something happens which isn't covered in your script, in which case your character will resort to doing either normal attacks or nothing).

24. If you don't want to wait for the other players to post in a battle (for example if it just drags on and seemingly takes forever), you can just post a bolded End Turn in the game thread. You can then also give orders to the characters that haven't posted yet, if you want to, kind of like in an actual RPG game. Any characters that do not receive orders and have not posted yet at that point will resort to their script. If you ever actually want a character to do nothing, state so.

25. I may automatically end the current turn in a battle if some players haven't posted their actions after around 24 hours.

26. If your surroundings are safe, you may attempt to rest at any time (as long as you have a reasonable place to do it in), allowing your party to tend to their wounds, and regain spellpoints and active abilities.
Keep in mind that if you rest without provisions of some kinds, you may not recover as much HP/stress (you may even suffer HP and stress damage, depending on the circumstance).
A quick reference for deriving your secondary statistics:
Starting Hit Points: 15 + 2VIT + STR/2
(negative VIT reduces HP by VIT instead of increasing it)
+HP per level: 1
+DMG: STR/2
Hit: STR+DEX
AC: AGI + DEX/2
MR: PER + AGI/2 + DEX/2 + INT/2
INIT: PER + AGI + INT/2
Spell Points: INT

Example character sheet:
Example Man, Lv1 [00] Demonstrator [Front]
20/20 HP // 34/100 [++++++++++]
Spellpoints: ++
+1 DMG | +2 HIT | +2 AC | +2 MR | +3 INIT
Weapon: Example Sword [1-8 Dmg]
Armor: Example Armor [1 AC]
Spoiler:
Inventory...[ 03/10 ]
- Item (Effect)
- Item (Effect)
- Item (Effect)

Spellbook...[ 02/02 ]
- Lukewarm Hands: Can be either pleasant or awkward, depending on the context....
- Jeff's Impenetrable Deception: They'll never figure it out.

Active Abilities[list]Example [3/3]: Provides an example of an active ability your character can learn.[/list]

Sustained Abilities[list]Example: Sometimes provides an example of a sustained ability your character can learn.[/list]

Passive Abilities[list]Example: Always provides an example of a passive ability your character can learn.[/list]

Camp Abilities[list]Example: Provide an example of a camping ability your character can learn when you rest.[/list]

Attributes:
STR: +2
DEX: 0
AGI: +2
VIT: +2
INT: +2
WIL: -3
PER: 0

Ability Points: 300

Scripts:
- nil.

Description: Describe your characters appearance and background here.
:wink:
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Re: Aria of Ruin PnP - Talk Thread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Two questions before I nosedive into characters:

Is there an equivalent of D&D's "finesse" where you can use your Dex in lieu of Str for modifying damage on certain weapons?
Is there any leeway on being a member of the military force with regards to character background? Although being "the exception" doesn't really work in a party of two.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Agent of Dread wrote:Is there an equivalent of D&D's "finesse" where you can use your Dex in lieu of Str for modifying damage on certain weapons?
That's up to you to do with your abilities. I suggest taking an ability specific to the type of weapon you want to "finesse" with, so that the AP cost will be relatively low.
Agent of Dread wrote: Is there any leeway on being a member of the military force with regards to character background? Although being "the exception" doesn't really work in a party of two.
Think of the character more as an "agent" or a specialist than a soldier. Your character could be a mercenary type that fell in favor with the ruling branch, or some other kind of specialist that the military decided to "integrate" as their operative, like a mage of some kind, an ex-bandit, alchemist, etc. Whatever you come up with, there's probably a way to make it work, so don't worry.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

It's just that one of my ideas involved being a "wanderer from another land" that just gets embroiled in the plot in a very storybook way, but when your entire continent is The Land that one was probably going nowhere anyway, so it's not too big of a deal. I think I want to run with a character who fits in straightforwardly anyway.

I'm trying to decide between a front-liner or a slippery "DPS" type character. I'm a little dry on ideas to make the former interesting gameplay-wise and a little dry on ideas to make the latter interesting character-wise... but I'll have something posted soonish.
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

Someone's been playing Darkest Dungeon, I see. :V

Aw, to hell with it. I don't know what's good for me, so I'll whip up a character anyway.
Before I start, though, are we playing here on the forums after all?

EDIT: Does HIT apply to spells as well or do those use a different stat to calculate accuracy?
EDIT2: Does activating or deactivating a sustained ability count as a minor action or is it free?
Shade

Post by Shade »

Oz, Lv 0.00
HP: 13/13
MP: ★★★★★
SP: 000%
±0 Dmg | -8 Hit | -2 AC | +5 MR | +5 Init
Equipment:
  • Trick Cane (1d4 Dmg | Restores 1 MP on an attack roll of 10.)
  • Padded Vest (+1 AC)
Spoiler: Inventory & Status
Items:
[list][*] -
[*] -
[*] -
[*] -
[*] -
[*] -
[*] -
[*] -
[*] -
[*] -[/list]

Spells:
[list][*]Cyclone
-> Creates 1d3 + INT/3 Wind blades dealing 1d4 + WIL damage. Blades have INT HIT bonus.
[*]Sonic Clap
-> All enemies must make a VIT check vs the caster's WIL or be stunned for a turn and lose their AC dodge bonus.
[*]Darkmatter Vortex
-> All enemies must make a WIL+VIT check vs the caster's INT. If they succeed they take 1d3 damage. if they fail they will take 1d3 damage per turn for WIL turns.
[*]Light
-> Creates a floating orb of radiance to act as a source of light for the caster. The orb will accompany the caster for several hours before fizzling out, and may be dismissed manually.
[*]Life Sense
-> The caster is able to telepathically sense all living beings within a radius of approximately INT+PER meter.[/list]

Abilities (290/300 AP spent):
[list][*]Quick Spell [ Active ] [ 70 AP / use ] ( 1 use )
-> Allows Oz to cast a spell as a minor action.
[*]Awareness [ Sustained ] [ 60 AP ]
-> Oz can give up his minor action each turn in order to apply his Perception stat as a bonus towards any of his attempts to dodge an attack. Increases Stress by 5 at the end of every turn while active.
[*]Wellspring of Magic [ Passive ] [ 100 AP ]
-> At any time during a battle, Oz can use a minor action to regain a spell point, at the cost of increasing his Stress by 20.
[*]Grace under Pressure [ Passive ] [ 60 AP ]
-> Grants Oz a +1 bonus to all rolls whenever his Stress is 50 or higher.
[*]A Mind for Magic [ Passive ] [ 50 AP ] [ Not learned ]
-> Oz receives a +5 bonus to any attempts to learn a spell he has seen before.

[*]Last Word [ Active ] [ 150 AP / use ] [ Not learned ]
-> Allows Oz to cast a spell using all of his remaining spell points at once. Each spell point beyond the requirement sacrificed this way increases the potency of the resulting spell by 50% (additive).

[*]Disquieting Serenity [ Passive ] [ 300 AP ] [ Not learned ]
-> Oz cannot receive afflictions or virtues from Stress.
Instead, whenever Oz' Stress is at 100 or above, everyone around him - friend or foe - suffers 50% increased Stress from all sources.
[/list]

Attributes:
-5 Strength
-3 Dexterity
-1 Agility
±0 Vitality
+5 Intellect
+5 Willpower
+4 Perception
Spoiler: Character Sheet
Basic Info

Appearance
Hair color: White/Silver
Hairstyle: Short-ish and messy
Eye color: Topaz
Skin tone: Caucasian
Physique: Somewhat scrawny
Height: 1.74m
Weight: 63kg
Clothing:
- Purple shoulder pads
- Purple padded vest
- Simple white shirt with a high collar
- Simple leather gloves
- Simple black pants with a leather belt
- Simple leather boots

Personality
Dislikes: Brute force, rashness, dense people
Hobbies: Studying, experimenting with magic
General behaviour: Curious, but nonetheless thoughtful. Slightly conceited, but dependable. Tends to be snarky and cynical, especially if someone gets on his bad side.

Background:
Oz is a bit of an odd case.
He's a commoner.
He has a rebellious personality and likes challenging his superiors.
He doesn't have any skill with a blade.
Yet he is nonetheless a valued, if not particularly well-liked, member of the Rødlev military operative branch, owing to his abilities as a mage.

It just so happens that Oz was born with a tremendous gift for magic, something few who were born without can ever hope to match. While anyone can learn to wield magic with years of rigorous training and dedication, Oz commands even the most complex spells with little effort and never seems to tire from using them, earning him the envy of his peers.

Oz himself could hardly care less about the empire's motivations or his position withhin it - what he is interested in, however, is the investigation of the supernatural and the unknown, and in this regard the military branch delivers.
Last edited by Shade on Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Nica, Lv 0.00

Health: 13/13
Stress: IIIIIIIIII

Spells: ♦♦
Lunge:

+2 Dmg | +2 Hit | +3 AC | +2 MR | +2 Init
Rapier - 1-6 Dmg | Leather Coat - 2 AC
Spoiler: Inventory & Status
Items:

[list][*] -
[*] -
[*] -
[*] -
[*] -
[*] -
[*] -
[*] -
[*] -
[*] -[/list]

Spells:

[list][*] Arc Bolt
-> Strike a single enemy with a bolt of lightning. The bolt has Int Hit and deals 3d3+Wil damage.
-> On attack rolls of 6 or more, the bolt will chain to a random nearby enemy dealing 2d3+Wil damage on the first chain, and 1d3+Wil any consecutive times after that.
[*] Entropy Bolt
-> Attack an enemy with a strange bolt of chaotic energy. The bolt has Wil+Dex Hit and reduces the victim's AC and Hit by Int.
-> The victim will take 1 Dmg and 5 Stress every turn until they have taken the same amount that their AC and Hit were reduced by.[/list]

Abilities: [ 300/300 AP spent ]

[list][*]Spell Scavenger [ Passive ] [ 200 AP ]
Nica wanders the land, tracing the trails of the many magicks at work upon it, and claiming them.
-> When Nica successfully casts a spell on an enemy, Nica marks them with A Trace, granting her +1 Hit and MR against them for 2 turns.
-> Nica can make a maneuver against marked enemies to consume A Trace and gain 1 Spell Point.
-> When an enemy casts a spell, Nica also marks them with A Trace.
-> A Trace can stack, up to 2 times.
[/list]

[list][*]Finesse [ Passive ] [ 50 AP ]
Nica's deft hands supplant her skill with the blade... the pokey ones, anyway.
-> All rapier-type weapons are considered Treated when wielded by Nica.
-> Treated weapons use Dex for +Dmg.[/list]

[list][*]Lunge [ Active - 1 use ] [ 50 AP ]
Nica's daring nature is unbounded by battle positions... sometimes.
-> Nica may make a melee attack on a Covered enemy.[/list]

[list][*]Restless [ Active - 0 uses ] [ 20 AP + 5 per use ]
Nica has never liked standing still for too long at once.
-> Nica may change battle positions as a free action.
-> This allows her to change positions twice in a turn, if she wishes.[/s][/color][/list]

[list][*]Kleptokinesis [ Sustained ] [ 100 AP ]
Nica's curiosity sometimes turns to greed... sometimes against her best interests.
-> While Kleptokinesis is active, Nica loses 1 HP per turn, and gains 5 Stress.
-> While Kleptokinesis is active, Nica retrieves discharged magicks from the spells she casts, granting her Kinesis for each cast.
-> Kinesis can stack, up to Nica's Spell Point total.
-> A successful melee attack will consume Kinesis and end Kleptokinesis. The damage is increased by 1x per stack consumed.
-> Kinesis stacks are lost if Kleptokinesis is ended manually.[/s][/color][/list]

[list][*]Aristocrat's Quill [ Camping ] [ 100 AP ]
Nica's upbringing has made her more than proficient with written documents, which she applies to spells left behind.
-> With a quill & parchment, Nica may transcribe one of her known spells into written form while camping.
-> She can re-learn spells that she has forgotten if she has their scrolls.[/s][/color][/list]

Attributes:

[list][*]-2 Str
[*]+4 Dex
[*]+1 Agi
[*]-1 Vit
[*]+2 Int
[*]+0 Wil
[*]+1 Per[/list]
Spoiler: Character Sheet
Description:
[list]Hair color: Pale blonde
Hairstyle: Long, bound in a loose braid at the back
Eye color: Ice blue
Skin tone: Caucasian, pale
Physique: Slim & lightly toned
Height: 1.86m
Weight: 62kg[/list]

Brief:
[list]Nikolaj Ríkrhjarta, heir apparent to one of the Rødlev Dynasty's prestigious noble families, the lineage of which has risen through the ranks with countless military accomplishments. A name for a proud young man, devoted to his family and his country, that the current Baron von Ríkrhjarta could pass on his line's legacy to with confidence and pride.

What a shame that the firstborn to whom it went was a girl.

"Nica", as she would prefer you call her, though not where her father can hear you, was raised as very much a boy and as very much yet another Ríkrhjarta, by a father in disbelief and too embroiled in family ties. This created a rift between him and his would-be son, which would go on to define Nica's mischevious-come-rebellious streak well into her teens, as she sought a life more her own than her family's in the gaps between the one thrust upon her.

Nonetheless, at the age of sixteen, by urging of her father, she began partaking in military operations, and has continued to do so until now, her twenty-second year.
Those who know her as a daughter of the Ríkrhjarta family see a maudlin noble, neither benevolent in her position nor out of line, but those who know her as a comerade on the force meet a side she'd like to consider her true face -- friendly, diligent, and more than willing to have a little fun. Travelling on operations is the one chance she gets to explore the bewilderingly large nation she's a part of, and appreciate all that it encompasses, not to mention get a breath of fresh air from noble life.

The pursuit of magic and its roots across the lands once conquered is her main hobby, and the one that she'll briskly complete operation work to find more time for. Perhaps it's simply something intriguing that goes on far from matters concerning her family & status, or perhaps she has a particular motivation for it...[/list]
EDIT1: Added a backstory/personality writeup. Drawing soon, maybe.
EDIT2: Rewrote, reorganised, took abilities, stashed others for later. Borrowed Shade's description list.
EDIT3: Final cleanup. Lists ahoy.
Last edited by Agent of Dread on Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Shade wrote:Someone's been playing Darkest Dungeon, I see. :V
Heh, not recently, but I did love its mechanics and strategic depth. And I borrowed some of them as you can see.
Aw, to hell with it. I don't know what's good for me, so I'll whip up a character anyway.
Before I start, though, are we playing here on the forums after all?
We'll be playing here in the end, Discord doesn't work out well for me when I'm not at home.
EDIT: Does HIT apply to spells as well or do those use a different stat to calculate accuracy?
EDIT2: Does activating or deactivating a sustained ability count as a minor action or is it free?
Ah, to be honest I forgot that offensive spell have an accuracy to consider. ^^
I think I'll manage this on a spell-by spell basis. It would allow me to easilly make some spells inherently more accurate.

Activating or deactivating a sustained ability is a free action so long that you don't immediately re/de activate it again on the same turn.
It's a minor action otherwise, I guess.

Edit:

There's going to be some multi-posting on my part during the weekdays - I'll merge posts later when it's more convenient.

Quick AP for Oz
Quick spell 70 AP per use
Last word 150 AP per use
Awareness 60 AP
Wellspring 100 AP
Grace 60 AP

I like the character description format you're using. I think we would do well to adopt it.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Cimeries wrote:Ah, to be honest I forgot that offensive spell have an accuracy to consider. ^^
I think I'll manage this on a spell-by spell basis. It would allow me to easilly make some spells inherently more accurate.
Well, it'd be kinda important to have a rule of thumb, at least. xD
...because as you can see, I'm at -8 Hit currently. If, as a general rule, Hit from STR/DEX applies to spells as well, a character with negative STR/DEX pretty much cannot be functional unless they're a dedicated healer or something. xD"
Cimeries wrote:There's going to be some multi-posting on my part during the weekdays - I'll merge posts later when it's more convenient.
I don't think anyone here minds at this point. xD
Cimeries wrote:Quick AP for Oz
Quick spell 70 AP per use
Last word 150 AP per use
Awareness 60 AP
Wellspring 100 AP
Grace 60 AP
All except Last Word taken~
Cimeries wrote:I like the character description format you're using. I think we would do well to adopt it.
Great, go ahead!

EDIT: I changed my requested spells a bit. Healing is overrated.
EDIT2: Added another ability.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Cimeries wrote:I like the character description format you're using. I think we would do well to adopt it.
Mm, I might pick up most of it myself, at least until I get a decent sketch out. I was having trouble earlier today. :P
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

@Shade - INT and sometimes WIL will primarily affect your hit rate with spells.
There may be a handful of spells that use other stats but they aren't what you would consider "classic" spells.

AP for Disquieting Harmony - 300 AP

Nica's AP
Finesse Variant A (just rapiers) - 50 AP
Finesse Variant B (camp fitting) - 80 AP, assuming you can't use it on anything unreasonable like a greatsword or a halberd.

Spell Scavenger components:
Enemy casts - 80 AP
Nica casts - 120
Manuever Component - 60 AP
Stack component - 30 + 5n AP per max above 2 so...
40 for 2, 85 for 3, 130 for 4, 185 for 5, etc...

Aristocrat's quill - 100 AP
Lunge - 50 AP per use
Restless - 20 +5n Ap per use
Residue - 100 AP if ending the sustained ability manually clears your stack
160 AP if it doesn't.
Either way I'm going to ask you to keep track of this ability and manage it yourself if you end up taking it.

I'll do your spells tomorrow. In the meantime, AoD, you should tell me what sort of spells you want Nica to start with, I noticed you haven't specified anything.

FYI I'm torn between making the third PC an actual nice original character or just a dude that dual wields shields.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Cimeries wrote:@Shade - INT and sometimes WIL will primarily affect your hit rate with spells.
There may be a handful of spells that use other stats but they aren't what you would consider "classic" spells.
'aight, that's in line with what I remember from Deliverance~
Cimeries wrote:AP for Disquieting Harmony - 300 AP
Ouch. :V
Is the reason it's so expensive the immunity to afflictions?
Cimeries wrote:FYI I'm torn between making the third PC an actual nice original character or just a dude that dual wields shields.
Why not an actual nice original character that dual wields shields? :P
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

@ Disquieting Harmony
Pretty much. The 50% extra stress is also very powerful against most human enemies.

Personally I'm also partial to the 50% extra stress for the rest of the group. If this were DD I probably wouldn't put a character with an ability like that in my main party. Just sayin'.

@ Character
Come on Shade, even I can't take a dual shield wielder seriously.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Cimeries wrote: If this were DD I probably wouldn't put a character with an ability like that in my main party. Just sayin'.
Oh, I'm very aware. That's the point. :P
I wanted to spice up things a bit, but with a cost like that I'll sooner take 5 uses of Quick Spell and just blast everything to smithereens before it has a chance to inflict any stress at all. :teach:
Cimeries wrote:Come on Shade, even I can't take a dual shield wielder seriously.
I've seen worse. Like people who dual-wield other people. :V
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Oh, nice catch on dropping the stacks if I end Residue. I'll stick that in the explanation even though I won't take it right away.
Also, I took Finesse type A but reworded it so that it can potentially expand into type B later if I want to invest.

As for spells, could I get:
  • A debuff that forces the target into the opposite combat position for an amount of turns OR a Hit/AC malus on the target with damage over time
  • Some kind of arc-lightning spell that can sometimes strike targets beyond the designated
That plus gear (or an IOU for plot reasons :P) should do me for now.