Aria of Ruin PnP - Talk Thread

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Re: Aria of Ruin PnP - Talk Thread

Post by Shade »

Fine then, I guess I'll stop whining and just run with it. :P
Cimeries wrote:Clonks knows me too well as a GM - he keeps expecting for NPCs to give him shit and change his plans.

Don't worry, that will come later. This is, after all, only the prologue.
I'm honestly not sure if the credit for that goes to you or a certain other GM I've been playing with the past few years. If I were playing with the latter, I honestly probably wouldn't have made it inside. :P
...in fact, I probably wouldn't even have made it back to Korsgrad. :teach:
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

Even if the backstory is simple, the characterisation is what directly adds to the game, and Oz has it in spades. :P
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Shade

Post by Shade »

By the way, octy, I believe you miscalculated your stats somehow!
As far as I can tell, your max. HP should be 21, your AC +3, your MR -1 and your INIT +4. :?
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

Shade wrote:Yo, octagon! Neat character.

EDIT: I can't help but feel that I once again brought the least interesting character to the table, especially now that octagon went and put all of us to shame with his. :V
the responses to my character make me happy, i hope i can deliver.
you brought a lot of expertise and a character whose personality is fit to drive the plot, i feel like you're doing pretty well!
btw, hers*
(it's okay, i could've said something to keep y'all up to date.)
By the way, octy, I believe you miscalculated your stats somehow!As far as I can tell, your max. HP should be 21, your AC +3, your MR -1 and your INIT +4. :?
Oh. I missed that VIT counts twice for HP, and I assumed HP and HIT were the only secondary stats affected by negative values, since most of the stat descriptions are phrased as each positive point..., and I think Deliverance was the same way... Cime?
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

INIT, AC, HIT and MR are affected by negative attribute scores.
+DMG isn't.

IIRC you're correct that in Deliverence none of them were except for HP, but this isn't the exact same system (though it's derived from it).
:wink:
Shade

Post by Shade »

octagon wrote:btw, hers*
(it's okay, i could've said something to keep y'all up to date.)
Oh? Sorry 'bout that! I'll try to remember that, then.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Never got AP costs for this one, so I guess I'll post it again with some slight modifications. :?

Mad Scientist [ Passive ] [ ?? AP ]
-> To Oz, gaining new knowledge is strangely invigorating, to the point he can become a bit... obsessive about it.
Oz receives a +[Stress/25] bonus to all checks involving experimentation to gain new knowledge, as well as an additional +2 bonus if he's suffering from an Affliction.
For each piece of knowledge gained by means of experimentation, Oz recovers Stress equal to half its DC.

...and while I'm at it, some concepts for synergy abilities!

Embrace the Unknown [ Passive ] [ ?? AP ]
-> At the end of combat, if Ameia has any unused charges of Dark Energy, Oz will absorb half of them (rounded down) to recover an equal amount of spellpoints. He cannot absorb more charges of Dark Energy than he is missing spellpoints.

Weaponize the Unknown [ Passive ] [ ?? AP ]
-> Oz can target as many enemies as Ameia has charges of Dark Energy as a free/minor/major action. If these targets fail a [WIL - Stress/25] check against Oz' [WIL + Stress/25], they're paralyzed with fear, stunning them for a turn. Ameia's Dark Energy is not consumed in the process.
This will not work on the same target more than once per encounter.

Friendship is Magic [ Passive ] [ ?? AP ]
-> If an ally casts a spell (or a blue magic ability) in the same turn Oz does, an additional effect is added to Oz' spell:
- Nica: If applicable, Oz' spell gains a bonus to Dmg equal to the number of Traces on the target.
- Ginny: If applicable, any lingering effects inflicted by Oz' spell will last an extra turn.
- Ameia: If applicable, Oz' spell gains a bonus to Hit and/or its DC equal to the number of Dark Energy charges Ameia has.

...also, because I figure it will happen at some point: what happens to our synergy abilities if the required character were to die?
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Shade wrote:Friendship is Magic [ Passive ] [ ?? AP ]

Cime said he'd refund AP for synergy abilities with dead party members.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Mad Scientist [ Passive ] [ ?? AP ]
65 AP

Embrace the Unknown [ Passive ] [ ?? AP ]
80 AP

Weaponize the Unknown [ Passive ] [ ?? AP ]
"work once per encounter" meaning a check is performed, for free/minor/major respectively
110, 70, 30
"work once per encounter" meaning one successful stun
155, 115, 75

Friendship is Magic [ Passive ] [ ?? AP ]
100 AP

If you ally dies, you will have a choice between refunding AP for synergy abilities, or doing something else with them that will be revealed later.
Either way keep in mind that you will not be refunded immediately.
Shade

Post by Shade »

So many abilities to learn, so little AP to work with...
Cimeries wrote:Weaponize the Unknown [ Passive ] [ ?? AP ]
"work once per encounter" meaning a check is performed, for free/minor/major respectively
110, 70, 30
"work once per encounter" meaning one successful stun
155, 115, 75
So if I take the first version, it's basically that I can't target the same target more than once per encounter, regardless of whether it works?
Eh, I guess that's fair. Or at least I'm not willing to pay 2.5 times as much just for the ability to keep trying. :P
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I'll write a post if I can think of a meaningful contribution, but if there's not much more to say feel free to move us over to Ameia without waiting for me, I don't think Nica has much in the way of external output this time around.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

In a very meta example of Oz immediately cutting to the chase, I had to revise my post from this because Shade got in before me. :P
Spoiler:
Nica loosens up immediately when she sees the quartermaster's soft countenance. So quickly have people like her become a rarity since they set out for Korsgrad.
"Call me Nica. It's a pleasure."
Raising her arm to gesture to the other two, she gives the short version of the story.
"We're the Capitol Ops team Ser Tudor requested -- we've been here a couple days already."
Although she didn't really have any pre-conceived expectations of what sort of person she was going to see, looking past Ellen took Nica quite by surprise. This Ameia is quite an oddity... though it doesn't take sense as keen as Nica's to understand she's not to be trifled with. Nica feels her eyes instinctively averting ever looking directly at the woman...
Wary of Oz causing some trouble, she quickly gets ahold of herself and adds their purpose for entering the wagon as well.
"After greeting Tudor, we wanted to come and see how his other bodyguard was doing. We've also dealt with the creatures you fought on your journey, so I wanted to see if we could fill in any gaps in your understanding of them, or ours."
"You must be Miss Ameia... it's an honour."
Shade

Post by Shade »

Heh. :P
Well, he does have the highest INIT. :teach:
Shade

Post by Shade »

By the way, regarding this:
Cimeries wrote:
Agent of Dread wrote:Is there any situation where camping won't restore ability uses in the first place?
For active and reactive abilities - depends where and how you're resting.
Is this really how it works?
So far we've never recovered any ability uses at any point (or at least your posts have never mentioned anything to that effect), meaning that if that's indeed how it's supposed to work, we've actually been using abilities we haven't had any charges for since our very first encounter.

The ruleset, unfortunately, also doesn't shed any light on the matter - it refers to active abilities as being "per encounter" in #14B (the same is true for spellpoints, actually), yet it also implies that they're restored through resting in #26, so I really have no idea at this point.

The reality of the game so far seems to be that spellpoints are only restored through resting, whereas ability uses are restored after an encounter. Do we just run with that?
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Shade wrote: So far we've never recovered any ability uses at any point (or at least your posts have never mentioned anything to that effect)
Huh, I honestly thought I wrote "Abilities restored" those couple of times when the party rested, but I just checked and it turns out I didn't. I was probably remembering an instance from an older game.
Shade wrote:meaning that if that's indeed how it's supposed to work, we've actually been using abilities we haven't had any charges for since our very first encounter.
To be perfectly honest, I haven't kept track of the PC's active ability use (besides my own, obviously), and I've been playing Ginny with the assumption that abilities are restored after resting...
Shade wrote:The reality of the game so far seems to be that spellpoints are only restored through resting, whereas ability uses are restored after an encounter. Do we just run with that?
Yeah, I'm starting to think this may be a better idea. I honestly don't remember my original mindset when I was writing the rules since it was a few months ago that I wrote them, (and I probably wrote those late at night as I usually do with my "creative" endeavors), but this way is simpler to manage so it wins the decision.

I'll go over the rules within the next couple of days and see if anything needs revising (and post any changes here for clarity). Assume active and reactive abilities are reset after combat for now.