Aria of Ruin PnP - Talk Thread

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Re: Aria of Ruin PnP - Talk Thread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Alright, sweet. I'll include Spell Scavenger's relevant effects in my post.

I'm gonna be mighty cheesed if I miss. :P
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Ooooh weee.

This combat turn sure was a rollercoaster.
:wink:
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

That thing is almost as dead as it used to be alive. A fine show.
Though I don't think I'll be getting my spellpoint back somehow. :P

Do we just have to get Oz back above 0 through standard means to guarantee his safety for another hit?
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Pretty much. I'm going to have Ginny give him the last healing flask.
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

...so these things just flat-out ignore formation? :V

"And now, the true test begins... Hold fast, or expire?"
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Shade wrote:...so these things just flat-out ignore formation? :V
My best answer for that is...
Fuck yeah It depends.

Fill up the beastiary to find out more. ^^

Work Boredom Edit:
Ideally, once your party learns the different monsters, combat becomes a chess game of predicting what the enemy can do and trying to outsmart it preemptively, sort of like DD with complexity steroids.
Encounter variety will be dictated by different combinations of enemies and situations, and the different abilities and combat features of some monsters interacting with others.
Several new types of enemies will appear in every chapter increasing the roster of potential baddies.

Oh and don't even get me started on the bosses. I've learned some things since Deliverance.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Cimeries wrote:Fill up the beastiary to find out more. ^^
Oh, rest assured, I plan to. :twisted:
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Shit shit

Gentlemen, I suggest we floor it and GTFO.
Shade

Post by Shade »

NEVER! :waah:

...or actually, I just realized I can't actually attack while I have Awareness active. Oops.

Still, with how crazy fast those fellows appear to be, it seems unlikely we're gonna get away if we don't wipe the floor with them first.

...thinking about it, I seem to recall that activating or deactivating a sustained ability was a free action as long as it's done first thing during a turn, but I can't seem to find where you said that. Am I misremembering?
Because if it is indeed a free action, I could deactivate Awareness, use Wellspring of Magic and then attack. I should have decent odds of finishing off the injured stag at the very least. Ginny could attack and retreat to cover, and...
...well...
...at that point I guess we just hope we don't die horribly!
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

A successful Sonic Clap should be enough to finish B without dogpiling it and then fight to the bloody end with C. Is it possible to prepare an escape conditionally based off of the outcome of Oz's turn? I only want to run if they both resist it, though.

If things go really well, Ginny could even Shatter Guard C so that a respectable Cyclone could shred it.

Unrelated/more general chatter:
I noticed that Nica's toolset in particular gains a frightening amount of power with Maximised attacks, especially after Kleptokinesis comes into play...
And, will there be any point later in the game where we can "pick" spells like during character creation?
Shade

Post by Shade »

Agent of Dread wrote:A successful Sonic Clap should be enough to finish B without dogpiling it and then fight to the bloody end with C.
Sonic Clap doesn't do damage. I was going to use Cyclone and redirect any leftover blades to Stag C... provided they don't all miss, but I don't like Sonic Clap's success rate much better.
Agent of Dread wrote:I noticed that Nica's toolset in particular gains a frightening amount of power with Maximised attacks, especially after Kleptokinesis comes into play...
My good ol' Cyclone isn't half-bad when maximized, either. 36 damage is nothing to scoff at. :P
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

If Sonic Clap succeeds they lose that disgusting 7 AC though, which means the two of us can be sure enough that we'll actually hit the damn things.
Shade

Post by Shade »

That's what the description of the spell says, but reality seems to be different. If you look here, you'll see their AC only went down from +8 to +4, which still only gives me a roughly 50% chance to actually hit them at +5 Hit. ...and both of you only have +2 Hit, so even if I stun them, your odds of hitting them actually are barely any better than if I just attacked them outright.
Worse yet, both of you could actually roll low enough for damage to fail to kill it, even if you manage to actually hit.

EDIT: ...actually, I just now realized that their base AC went down to +7. The only explanation I can come up with is that their strength lies in numbers, and that killing the first Stag lowered their stats. A little. My point remains the same, though.
Last edited by Shade on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

On further consideration, Cyclone will mitigate as much damage as a one-stun Sonic Clap or worse and hopefully have some respectable collateral damage too. I don't really have an objection to either, but I imagine we're waiting for Cime either way.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Shade wrote: ...thinking about it, I seem to recall that activating or deactivating a sustained ability was a free action as long as it's done first thing during a turn, but I can't seem to find where you said that. Am I misremembering?
You are correct. I may have said this in Deliverance or Dream Eater, but this applies here as well. If you wanted to activate and then deactivate it in the very same turn, then you would need to use up a minor action.

Agent of Dread wrote:And, will there be any point later in the game where we can "pick" spells like during character creation?
That can be arranged, but it won't be soon.
Agent of Dread wrote:If things go really well, Ginny could even Shatter Guard C so that a respectable Cyclone could shred it.
Could potentially work. The way the ability is worded means that the extra damage will apply regardless of whether they had magical protection on them.
The only problem is (and I shouldn't be telling you this) is that their INIT has increased by their Howling ability. I haven't checked yet but it's possible that they get to act before Oz on the next turn, and since Ginny is the slowest and attacks last, that 50% extra damage won't be utilized.
Shade wrote:...actually, I just now realized that their base AC went down to +7. The only explanation I can come up with is that their strength lies in numbers, and that killing the first Stag lowered their stats.
I love watching you guys speculate. ^^
The actual explanation is hinted in both the mechanics and in the flavor text in combat. It's meant to be possible to figure out, but not immediately apparent.

Yeah, we can make the escape conditional depending on how well the turn goes, but keep in mind that if any of our HP drops under 0, even if the character survives, they could start accumulating penalties that will make it harder to escape.

I think our best bet is to kill one off and run away. I'm down for anything you guys want to do, though.