Dream Eater PnP - Rules of Engagement

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Dream Eater PnP - Rules of Engagement

Post by Cimeries »

Don't trust your senses, things are not as they seem.

Story:
This tome you were sent to find, "The Book of Battle", it is said that any man who reads from it becomes a legendary warrior. Sounds like some old myth, but if you can retrieve it, the reward money could be enough to buy your own city.
The tome is said to be located in an old ruined keep that once belonged to a fierce black knight. Perhaps you and your longtime adventuring companions have what it takes to find it...

Your group arrives in Hydegrim at midnight. The imposing wooden gates are closed at night as the city is under strict curfew - a countermeasure to the rampant bandits roaming these parts. It seems that you will be forced to make camp outside the gates and rest here until morning, when the gates finally open.

Hydegrim is a border town lodged between two mountain ranges on both sides, essentially making it a bottleneck separating the known world from the area known as the "Spine", a frigid, snowy, mountainous waste home to a handful of frontier settlements and scattered with many ancient ruins from centuries past. One of these ruins, located northwest of a settlement called Lethmond, is where the Book of Battle is said to be. Come morning your group will be ready to head towards the Spine, after stocking on some supplies in Hydegrim and perhaps hiring a guide to get you to Lethmond faster.
Rules:

Roleplaying
Spoiler:
1. Each player may only have one character. Your characters can act independently from each other if you wish to. Please only join if you fully intend to be active (that means, post more than like once every two days).
2. The story expects Human characters. While this is a D&D-like fantasy setting, there are no Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, etc. If you wish to play anything other than a human character, you need to make a convincing case. You are free to choose or make up any class concept you like, however, the story assumes that your characters already know each other and have been adventuring together for some time, so keep that in mind.
3. Please try to contribute to the story when playing; this is an RPG, after all. Make your character act logically. Make it interesting. Make them have their own personality, their own reasons to fight and their own story. You don't need to type up a whole novel each time you post, especially in battles, but just make sure to make your character interesting, so that both you and the other players will be able to love your character (or at least love to hate it).
4. Describe your character's actions in third person, for writing consistency. Write anything your character actually says in "". I also recommend to give your character a personal talking color.
5. Since you will be having quite some code in each of your posts, I recommend copying that code by clicking "quote" at your last own post. Just remember to update any changed values and remove the quote-tags afterwards.
6. If you want to say anything out of character in the game thread, use olive as a color please. If all you want to do is to say something out of character and isn't related to what is currently going on, please do it in the OOC thread, not in a game thread.
7. Whenever I post I'll add a status table that indicates the most important stats of your characters, like formation, or the current HP of each character and enemy (if there are any). The current location is also shown.
8. When you're done talking and want me to move the game forward, make sure to post a clear action on what you're doing next (having your character say that he thinks about doing XYZ and having him actually do XYZ are two completely different things), or else it's possible that I don't recognize it as an actual action and nothing happens.
Character Stats
Spoiler:
9. Every character's main stats are HP (Health Points), EXP (Experience Points) and AP (Ability Points). I think most people should be familiar with what HP and EXP do. HP (Health Points) represent your character's health. EXP (experience Points) are gained for pretty much everything you do, such as helping other people, disarming a trap, picking a lock, defeating a monster, etc. AP (Ability Points) are acquired every level, and are used to learn new skills and abilities that your character can use.
10. Advancing to the next character level always takes 100 EXP. After a level up your EXP are reset to 0, though any leftover EXP will be kept (e. g. reaching 108 EXP would leave you with 8 EXP after the level up). Gaining a level will grant you 100 additional AP and allow you to distribute 1 points on your main attributes (see below).
11. Players may define the abilities and skills that they learn themselves, but I decide how much AP they actually cost to learn. Remember, you can learn almost any kind of ability you like, allowing you develop your character exactly as you like as long as you have enough AP.

12. Each (player) character is defined first by varying scores in the following main attributes:

STR represents raw physical strength, skill-at-arms, and weapons training. Every positive point increases your HIT by 1, whilst every second point increases your max HP by 1 and the damage of your weapon attacks by 1.
Negative points do not give a damage penalty, but each negative point still gives a -1 HIT penalty. Every second negative point reduces max HP by 1.

DEX represents dexterity, timing and preciseness. In combat, every positive point increases HIT by 1 and every other point increases AC by 1.

AGI represent agility, speed and reflexes. Every positive point of increases your AC by 1.
Agility checks are commonly used to dodge spells and most forms of area attacks and effects.
AGI also dictates turn order in battle.

VIT represents vitality, hardiness, constitution, and resistance to pain and illnesses. Every point adds 2 to your max HP.
VIT affects your ability to resist tackles, poisons, diseases, and harsh physical conditions in general. Negative Fortitude reduces your HP by 1 per point.

INT represents intellect, learning, mental capacity, reasoning and deduction skills. You can memorize a number of spells equal to your Intellect, and cast as many spells every encounter.

WIL represents Willpower, conviction, faith, and sheer inner force. Willpower contributes to the raw destructiveness and potency of your spells, and helps you resist mental effects and spells of a mind-affecting nature, or inflict them on others.

From your basic attributes, secondary statistics are derived:
+HIT is your hit bonus, added to attacking rolls in combat.
+AC is the armor class granted by your character's ability to dodge, this is added to your armor's AC in combat (unless your character is unable to dodge for some reason).
+DMG is the damage bonus added to your weapon damage in combat.
Spellpoints: One point is consumed every time you cast a spell. Your maximum number of Spellpoints is equal to your INT score. Resting recovers your Spellpoints.

13. Distribute your starting stats wisely. Every new character starts out at level 0, with 15 max HP (before STR/VIT), and 300 AP to define your abilities.
Your starting attributes (STR,DEX etc.) are yours do define according to what best suits your character, and range from -5 to +5. Note that the total of your starting attributes all added together must not exceed +5.

You will gain 100 AP, 1-3 max HP (randomly) and a single attribute point every time you level up.

14. Abilities are bought with AP. They are the equivalent of D&D feats, and Abilities and skills in our older system.
They fall into three categories:

Passive abilities are abilities whose effect is permanent from the moment they are acquired.
Examples:
Weapon Mastery: +1 HIT and DMG when wielding my weapon of choice in combat (one handed sword, polearm, bow, etc).
Stealthy: +2 on stealth checks.
Combat Premonition: I can see small details from the very near future. If I am hit by a sneak attack or an ambush maneuver, I get a second chance to reroll my check.

Active abilities are abilities that must be activated. They can be fancy attack maneuvers, unique actions, reaction abilities, etc. Active abilities have a limit of how many times they can be used per encounter. More uses means a steeper AP cost.
Examples:
Rain of Steel [1/1]: Allows me to simultaneously throw as many ranged thrown weapons as my DEX modifier, in a single action.
Leap Attack [1/1]: Allows me to attack a target even if their formation or some sort of effect does not normally permit me to do so (for example if another enemy is guarding them with their shield or body and such).
Defensive Roll [1/1]: Once per encounter, when a hit would normally take me below 0 HP, I reduce the damage in half, remaining with no less than 1 HP.

Sustained abilities are modes that can be turned on and off and offer some kind of bonus in exchange for a malus. You can only turn sustained abilities on/off at the beginning of your own turn, but they are otherwise unlimited.
Examples:
Combat Expertise: Converts my +DMG bonus from STR into bonus +AC.
Quickened Spell: Casting a spell is considered a minor action in this mode, but my hastened movements and the tremendous concentration they require make me an easier target, reducing my HIT and AC by 2 each.
Daggerdance: Whenever I successfully dodge a melee attack, my AC is increased by 1 for the remainder of this encounter. This bonus is cumulative.
Being hit in melee resets the bonus, causes me to take extra damage equal to the stacked AC bonus, and ends this sustained ability prematurely. Ending this ability manually carries no negative effect.

! Please note that there are some ability restrictions in place to maintain balance. You may not have abilities that behave in the following ways:

A. You cannot pick passive abilities that permanently increase any of the main attributes. (Sustained abilities, or active abilities with a limited duration are fine).

B. You cannot pick passive abilities that can result in some for of permanent empowering to your character.
(For example: +1 max HP after killing an enemy.)

15. Spellcasting: In order to cast spells, your character needs to learn them, adding them to their spellbook. You can learn spells from scrolls and books you come across in your adventures, and NPCs can teach you spells as well.
The number of spells you can memorize is equal to your Intellect modifier, which is also the number of spells you may cast per-encounter. You can learn abilities to increase the number of spells you can memorize or cast above what your intellect allows, if you wish.
Once your spellbook is full, you will have to forget an existing spell if you'd like to learn a new one.
Unlike in our old PnPs, you cannot define your own spells (balance ahoy).

This effectively makes spell-casting accessible to anyone with a positive intellect score. A warrior can dabble and learn one or two spells to help turn the tide of battle.

You can personalize your spells via abilities, for example:
Cold Ember (Sustained ability): All fire spells that I cast in this mode deal cold damage instead.
Augment Healing (Passive): Healing spells cast by me are 20% more effective.
Extend Spell [1/1]: Doubles the duration of a duration spell that I cast.
Combat
Spoiler:
16. In combat, you can perform Maneuvers, attacks aimed at specific spots on your target. You can target the eyes to attempt to blind the enemy, target the legs to slow them down, target a weak spot to deal more damage, etc. There is no penalty for using a maneuver, to encourage creative combat, but the success rate and effectiveness of these maneuvers is determined by your attributes.

17. If a character's HP drop to 0, he/she faints. Unconscious characters can't act anymore until the battle is over, at which point they regain consciousness (but remain at 0 HP, unable to fight). Your characters cannot die in combat unless the whole party is defeated.

18. In combat, you may do one attack (major action) and one minor action or just two minor actions per turn. Anything that is not just talking counts as a minor action (e.g. using an item from your inventory, changing your row, etc.). After having done your actions, wait for my next post, unless all you want to do is to make your character say something.

19. You can choose between two possible positions for battles - front or cover. The front can be attacked by anything, but can also attack with anything itself. Covered characters can only be hit by ranged attacks, certain skills/spells and attacks that hit multiple characters - however, this only applies if there is at least one character standing at the front. If no-one at the front is left, melee attacks will be able to hit covered characters as well, so beware. Also note that if you're attacked from behind, your front and cover will be reversed.

20. If it looks like you're about to lose a battle, you might want to try to escape instead of waiting until you're defeated. Usually, if you try to escape and there aren't any obstacles in your way, you will succeed. However, if you escape, any party members not capable of moving (e. g. because of being unconscious) will be left behind (carrying them would slow you down too much). Usually, this means that they'll be captured. If you're unlucky, it might also mean their death, however.

21. Be creative. There are many ways to defeat your enemies, and not all of them necessarily involve defeating them yourself or even reducing their HP to 0 at all.

22. In a battle, whenever a turn passes in which a player hasn't posted (and the other players haven't chosen what that character should do either), his character will simply attack the first enemy on the list with a simple normal attack if he can hit an enemy from where he's standing.
If you don't want that to happen, simply add a "Script" tag in your character's profile (in the spoiler) that tells me what your character should do in which situation. This can be as detailed as you want; if you want, you can even make a whole universal strategy to be used when you're absent, and I will make your character act accordingly to it (unless something happens which isn't covered in your script, in which case your character will resort to doing either normal attacks or nothing).

23. If you don't want to wait for the other players to post in a battle (for example if it just drags on and seemingly takes forever), you can just post a bolded End Turn in the game thread. You can then also give orders to the characters that haven't posted yet, if you want to, kind of like in an actual RPG game. Any characters that do not receive orders and have not posted yet at that point will resort to their script. If you ever actually want a character to do nothing, state so.

24. I may automatically end the current turn in a battle if some players haven't posted their actions after around 24 hours.

25. If your surroundings are safe, you may attempt to rest at any time (as long as you have a reasonable place to do it in), allowing your party to heal and tend to their wounds, and regain spellpoints and active abilities.

Example character sheet:
Example, Lv1 [00] Demonstrator [Front]
20/20 HP
Spellpoints: ++
+1 DMG | +3 HIT | +2 AC
Weapon: Example Sword [1-8 Dmg]
Armor: Example Armor [1 AC]
Spoiler:
Inventory...[ 03/10 ]
- Item (Effect)
- Item (Effect)
- Item (Effect)

Spellbook...[ 02/02 ]
- Magic Rocket: Ride it baby!
- Lukewarm Hands: Can be either pleasant or awkward, depending on the context....

Active Abilities
[list]Example [3/3]: Provides an example of an active ability your character can learn.[/list]

Sustained Abilities[list]Example: Sometimes provides an example of a sustained ability your character can learn.[/list]

Passive Abilities[list]Example: Always provides an example of a passive ability your character can learn.[/list]

Attributes:
STR: +2
DEX: 0
AGI: +2
VIT: +2
INT: +2
WIL: -3

Ability Points: 500

Scripts:
- nil.

Description: Describe your characters appearance and background here.
:wink:
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Re: Dream Eater PnP - Rules of Engagement

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

Erinelca, Lvl 0.00 Ranger [Cover]
18/18 HP
+1 DMG | +5 HIT | +5 AC
Weapon: Hunting Bow (1-8 DMG)
Armor: Leather Armor (3 AC)
Spoiler:
Inventory [ 02/10 ]
- Dagger (1-4 DMG, +1 HIT)
- Quiver (50 arrows)

Active Abilities
[list]Example [2/2]: Does triple damage. [ 200 AP ][/list]

Sustained Abilities
[list]Example: Half +AC is converted to Hit. [ 25 AP ][/list]

Passive Abilities
[list]Fletch: Creates 1d10 + 2*DEX regular arrows whenever Erinelca rests. [ 65 AP ][/list]

Attributes:
DEX: +3
AGI: +4
VIT: +1
INT: -2

Ability Points: 10

Scripts:
- nil

Description: Describe your characters appearance and background here.
Obviously a work in progress, but since no one else has posted, why not.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

@Equipment: Pick one of these:
Shortbow (1-6 DMG, +1 Hit) and Short Sword (1-6 DMG)
-or-
Hunting Bow (1-8 DMG) and Dagger (1-4 DMG, +1 Hit)

You also get:
Leather Armor (3 AC)
50 Arrows

You don't have to list your SP or your spellbook if you don't know any spells.

Triple damage ability - 100 AP per use.
+AC to HIT conversion ability - 25 AP

My suggestions for the create arrows ability -
As a passive ability: Fletch - Create 1~10+DEX×2 regular arrows whenever you rest. 65 AP
As an active skill: Create 10-15 regular arrows, cannot be used in combat. 30 Ap per use.

Looks like you can get a few more abilities, so get creative. I'm looking forward to seeing your character's background.

And for Octy to join.
A wild AOD or Shade would be nice too.
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

Surlak, Lv1 [00] Extortionist [Cover]
15/15 HP
Spellpoints: +2
+1 DMG | +2 HIT | +2 AC
Weapon: Engraved Dagger [2-6 Dmg]
Armor: Auburn Cloak [1 AC, +1 to magic resistance checks]
Spoiler:
Inventory...[ 03/10 ]
- 3x Stinging Salve (restores 20 HP over 2 turns, but stuns for 1 turn)

Spellbook...[ 00/02 ]

Active Abilities[list]
- Corner [1/1]: Surlak isolates an enemy, reducing their AC by 5 and preventing them from being affected by their allies' support abilities for 2 turns. This is a minor action.
- Mend [1/1] [curr: 2 turns]: Surlak ignores her wounds for just a moment, regaining up to 7 HP that are lost again after [INT] rounds. The expiration can't reduce health below 1. Overhealing during the effect will prevent the health loss.
- Hostage [1/1]: Upon hitting a cornered enemy with a spell, Surlak can choose to deal stun them for 1 turn and make the spell nonlethal, threatening to finish them off. The threat works much better if another cast of the spell could actually kill the target.
(If the spell doesn't actually connect, the skill isn't used.)
[/list]
Sustained Abilities[list]
- Deterrence: Whenever an enemy dies, one random other enemy without a strong personal interest in the current battle may flee or surrender unless they pass a will test. Looking intimidating takes up a minor action every turn.
[/list]
Passive Abilities[list]
- Adaptible [curr: 2 AC, 1 dmg]: When running out of spell points, Surlak's WIL drops to zero and the points are distributed equally among AC and weapon damage (odd numbers increase AC first) for the remainder of the battle. In the turn when this triggers, she may switch to the front as a free action. (This applies once per encounter but I'm listing it as a passive skill because I assume there's no in-combat spell point restoration)
- Conduit: Surlak can fuse additional energy into damaging spells, doing 50% less bonus damage for each spell point spent this way, min. 1 (if an example spell would do 8 damage, 4 conduit points would add 4+2+1+1). Overkill damage from the conduit bonus will affect another random hostile target.
[/list]

Attributes:
DEX: -3
VIT: -1
WIL: +3

Ability Points: 300

Scripts:
- target whoever seems the most important/could be killed this turn. preferrably target casters.
- corner and curse the target, then spam vacuum on them, attack them when out of spell points
-

Description:

Surlak is wiry, fairly tall and around 30. She usually wears a red-brown coat. Her posture is upright and tense. Her face shows some battle scars with the biggest one running from her chin to her neck.

Surlak was raised to be a guardian by the Servants of the Wing, a sect notable for their belief that their religious duties are necessary for the continuity of the world.
She had always been obsessed with the thought that she was bound to meet a terrible end, and eventually she left her people, out of an impulse to face her apparent doom head-on as well as restlessness and curiosity.
Seeking to either steel herself so she could overcome her nightmares or just get her tormentous future over with, she took on various unpleasant and dangerous jobs, mostly as a bounty hunter or bodyguard, and made a habit of openly antagonizing people she disliked.
Despite her habit to seek out danger, Surlak prefers subduing her opponents to all-out combat, as having to kill and the very prospect of losing someone cause her great distress.
The more she enjoys life, the more she feels as though she's just delaying the inevitable.
i should stop making glass cannons.
remember when hybrids didn't suck in a pnp haha me neither. so anyway-

I wonder if I actually have the AP for all this stuff.

Do we get any spells to start with? If so I'd like a vacuum-based attack/displacement spell and a life drain thing.
Assuming negative DEX reduces AC.

Do maneuvers work with spells?

Edit: I found that if PnP threads look like the world's worst SCP article for you (i. e. littered with giant black rectangles for the spoiler tags), changing the board style to subsilver fixes the problem.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Subsilver2 is the default and the only style the mods have been added to.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

octagon wrote:Weapon: Engraved Dagger [2-6 Dmg]
Please change this to 2-5 DMG.
- Corner [1/1]: Surlak isolates an enemy, reducing their AC by 5 and preventing them from being affected by their allies' support abilities for 2 turns. This is a minor action.
100 AP per use.
- Mend [1/1] [curr: 2 turns]: Surlak ignores her wounds for just a moment, regaining up to 7 HP that are lost again after [INT] rounds. The expiration can't reduce health below 1. Overhealing during the effect will prevent the health loss.
70 AP per use.
- Hostage [1/1]: Upon hitting a cornered enemy with a spell, Surlak can choose to deal stun them for 1 turn and make the spell nonlethal, threatening to finish them off. The threat works much better if another cast of the spell could actually kill the target.
25 AP per use, assuming they're stunned only if the spell would normally kill them.
If they are always stunned, 60 AP.
- Deterrence: Whenever an enemy dies, one random other enemy without a strong personal interest in the current battle may flee or surrender unless they pass a will test. Looking intimidating takes up a minor action every turn.
35 AP.
- Adaptible [curr: 2 AC, 1 dmg]: When running out of spell points, Surlak's WIL drops to zero and the points are distributed equally among AC and weapon damage (odd numbers increase AC first) for the remainder of the battle. In the turn when this triggers, she may switch to the front as a free action. (This applies once per encounter but I'm listing it as a passive skill because I assume there's no in-combat spell point restoration)
180 AP.
- Conduit: Surlak can fuse additional energy into damaging spells, doing 50% less bonus damage for each spell point spent this way, min. 1 (if an example spell would do 8 damage, 4 conduit points would add 4+2+1+1). Overkill damage from the conduit bonus will affect another random hostile target.
50 AP

Do we get any spells to start with? If so I'd like a vacuum-based attack/displacement spell and a life drain thing.
You can get up to 3 to start with, but since you only have 2 slots, you get 2.

Pick two of these:

Vigor Siphon - Drains [WIL]+[INT/2]+[VIT/2] HP from the target. This spell cannot be dodged normally, but requires an unobstructed line of sight from the caster to their victim.

Void Collapse - Creates a nucleus of extreme gravity for a split second, ripping apart anyone standing too close for 1-8+WILx3 DMG. Particularly massive opponents resist some of the damage of this spell, while particularly small targets receive greater harm.

Matter Fade - Turns a target (friend or foe) partially intangible for INT turns, giving a WILLx10% chance (max 80%) to completely disregard any physical damage aimed at them, or inflicted by them.

Mirror Image - Creates a single mirror image of the caster. The mirror image cannot act (but will appear to) and is otherwise indistinguishable from the original to your foes. The mirror image will vanish upon being hit. Every 3 points of INT create an additional mirror image.

Ripline - A thick chain of arcane matter grabs an enemy and attempts to drag them towards the caster, dealing 1-6+WILL damage. If the target fails a VIT check against the caster's INT, they are pulled forward: Targets in the cover row are dragged to the front, and targets in the front row fall down, losing their dodge +AC and becoming vulnerable to attacks until they can get up.

Or, if you had something different in mind, describe it more exactly.
Do maneuvers work with spells?
Yes, for some, but they will be less likely to work than with physical attacks.
For example, from all the spells I listed above the only maneuverable ones are Void Collapse and Ripline.
You could try maneuvering Void Collapse to hit multiple small targets, or a certain spot on a large target.
You could try maneuvering Ripline to cause your target to crash into an object in the room, like a trap or a pit, or even another target.

Basically if the spell's description doesn't sound like there's much to work with in terms of targeting or movement, then you can't use maneuvers with it.

@PF5: I consider spells to be character equipment, so it's unfair for your character not to have some decent equipment to match Octy's character's spells.
I want you to pick one of these bow weapons for your character instead of the bows I gave you earlier:
Marksman's Bow (2-8 DMG, +4 Hit)
or
Compound Shortbow (3-6 DMG, +[VIT] DMG)

and you also get either:
15 Broadhead Arrows (+3 DMG, +3 HIT)
or
5 Seeking Arrows (+8 HIT, Trick Shots* always Succeed)

*Trick shots are the ranged version of maneuvers.
octagon

Post by octagon »

15/15 HP
+1 DMG | +2 HIT | +2 AC
Weapon: Engraved Dagger [2-5 Dmg]
Spoiler:
Inventory...[ 03/10 ]

Spellbook...[ 02/02 ][list]
- Void Collapse - Creates a nucleus of extreme gravity for a split second, ripping apart anyone standing too close for 1-8+WILx3 DMG. Particularly massive opponents resist some of the damage of this spell, while particularly small targets receive greater harm.
- Ripline - A thick chain of arcane matter grabs an enemy and attempts to drag them towards the caster, dealing 1-6+WILL damage. If the target fails a VIT check against the caster's INT, they are pulled forward: Targets in the cover row are dragged to the front, and targets in the front row fall down, losing their dodge +AC and becoming vulnerable to attacks until they can get up.
[/list]Active Abilities[list]
- Corner [1/1]: Surlak isolates an enemy, reducing their AC by 5 and preventing them from being affected by their allies' support abilities for 2 turns. This is a minor action. (100 AP)
- Hostage [1/1]: Upon hitting a cornered enemy with a spell, Surlak can choose to make the spell nonlethal and stun them if they'd otherwise die, threatening to finish them off. The threat works much better if another cast of the spell could actually kill the target. (25 AP)
[*]Mend [1/1] [curr: 2 turns]: Surlak ignores her wounds for just a moment, regaining up to 7 HP that are lost again after [INT] rounds. The expiration can't reduce health below 1. Overhealing during the effect will prevent the health loss. (70 AP)[/list]
- Deterrence: Whenever an enemy dies, one random other enemy without a strong personal interest in the current battle may flee or surrender unless they pass a will test. Looking intimidating takes up a minor action every turn. (35 AP)
[/list]
Passive Abilities[list]
- Adaptible [curr: 2 AC, 1 dmg]: When running out of spell points, Surlak's WIL drops to zero and the points are distributed equally among AC and weapon damage (odd numbers increase AC first) for the remainder of the battle. In the turn when this triggers, she may switch to the front as a free action. (This applies once per encounter but I'm listing it as a passive skill because I assume there's no in-combat spell point restoration) (180 AP)
[*]Conduit: Surlak can fuse additional energy into damaging spells, doing 50% less bonus damage for each spell point spent this way, min. 1 (if an example spell would do 8 damage, 4 conduit points would add 4+2+1+1). Overkill damage from the conduit bonus will affect another random hostile target. (50 AP)[/list]

Attributes:

Ability Points: -40

Scripts:
- target whoever seems the most important/could be killed this turn. preferrably target casters.
- corner and curse the target, then spam vacuum on them, attack them when out of spell points
-

Description:

Surlak is wiry, fairly tall and around 30. She usually wears a red-brown coat. Her posture is upright and tense. Her face shows some battle scars with the biggest one running from her chin to her neck.

Surlak was raised to be a guardian by the Servants of the Wing, a sect notable for their belief that their religious duties are necessary for the continuity of the world.
She had always been obsessed with the thought that she was bound to meet a terrible end, and eventually she left her people, out of an impulse to face her apparent doom head-on as well as restlessness and curiosity.
Seeking to either steel herself so she could overcome her nightmares or just get her tormentous future over with, she took on various unpleasant and dangerous jobs, mostly as a bounty hunter or bodyguard, and made a habit of openly antagonizing people she disliked.
Despite her habit to seek out danger, Surlak prefers subduing her opponents to all-out combat, as having to kill and the very prospect of losing someone cause her great distress.
The more she enjoys life, the more she feels as though she's just delaying the inevitable.
I'm taking Ripline and Void Collapse. Dumping Conduit for now because it doesn't do much as long as I have 2 spell points, and Mend because I'm reckless.
Does your system normally allow for switching rows at all? If it's usually a minor action, I'd like to remove the free switch from Adaptible. How much would it cost in that case?
And how much would Corner cost if I removed the AC debuff/reduced it to 2?

2-5 is kind of shitty compared to the example sword, but I guess that's my fault for picking a dagger for thematic reasons. Would a spear or hatchet also work, or is the low damage meant for character balance instead of type distinction?
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Does your system normally allow for switching rows at all? If it's usually a minor action, I'd like to remove the free switch from Adaptible. How much would it cost in that case?
Yes, switching rows is a minor action. Adaptible's new cost would be 165 AP now.
And how much would Corner cost if I removed the AC debuff/reduced it to 2?
50 AP / 70 AP
is the low damage meant for character balance instead of type distinction?
Both. If I gave you a different weapon the damage and buff/debuff would be comparable but more appropriate for that type (compare the shortbow and the hunting bow I offered PF5).
You'll get a chance to pick up a better dagger later.
octagon

Post by octagon »

15/15 HP
+1 DMG | +2 HIT | +2 AC
Weapon: Engraved Dagger [2-5 Dmg]
Spoiler:
Inventory...[ 03/10 ]

Spellbook...[ 02/02 ][list]
- Void Collapse - Creates a nucleus of extreme gravity for a split second, ripping apart anyone standing too close for 1-8+WILx3 DMG. Particularly massive opponents resist some of the damage of this spell, while particularly small targets receive greater harm.
- Ripline - A thick chain of arcane matter grabs an enemy and attempts to drag them towards the caster, dealing 1-6+WILL damage. If the target fails a VIT check against the caster's INT, they are pulled forward: Targets in the cover row are dragged to the front, and targets in the front row fall down, losing their dodge +AC and becoming vulnerable to attacks until they can get up.
[/list]Active Abilities[list]
- Corner [1/1]: Surlak isolates an enemy, reducing their AC by 2 and preventing them from being affected by their allies' support abilities for 2 turns. This is a minor action. (70 AP)
- Hostage [1/1]: Upon hitting a cornered enemy with a spell, Surlak can choose to make the spell nonlethal and stun them if they'd otherwise die, threatening to finish them off. The threat works much better if another cast of the spell could actually kill the target. (25 AP)
[*]Mend [1/1] [curr: 2 turns]: Surlak ignores her wounds for just a moment, regaining up to 7 HP that are lost again after [INT] rounds. The expiration can't reduce health below 1. Overhealing during the effect will prevent the health loss. (70 AP)[/list]
- Deterrence: Whenever an enemy dies, one random other enemy without a strong personal interest in the current battle may flee or surrender unless they pass a will test. Looking intimidating takes up a minor action every turn. (35 AP)
[/list]
Passive Abilities[list]
- Adaptible [curr: 2 AC, 1 dmg]: When running out of spell points, Surlak's WIL drops to zero and the points are distributed equally among AC and weapon damage (odd numbers increase AC first) for the remainder of the battle. (165 AP)
[*]Conduit: Surlak can fuse additional energy into damaging spells, doing 50% less bonus damage for each spell point spent this way, min. 1 (if an example spell would do 8 damage, 4 conduit points would add 4+2+1+1). Overkill damage from the conduit bonus will affect another random hostile target. (50 AP)[/list]

Attributes:

Ability Points: 5

Scripts:
- corner the target, then spam vacuum on them, attack them when out of spell points

Description:

Okay. I took the nerfed versions (2 AC debuff, no free switch), now I'm at an appropriate +5 AP.

I think I'm set now!
Woody, are you still up for playing or was that a no?
Cimeries wrote:A wild AOD or Shade would be nice too.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Erinelca, Lvl 0.00 Ranger [Cover]
18/18 HP
+1 DMG | +5 HIT | +5 AC
Weapon: Marksman's Bow (2-8 DMG, +4 HIT)
Armor: Leather Armor (3 AC)
Spoiler:
Inventory [ 03/10 ]
- Dagger (1-4 DMG, +1 HIT)
- 15 Broadhead Arrows (+3 DMG, +3 HIT)
- 50 Arrows

Active Abilities
[list]Power Shot [2/2]: Does triple damage. [ 200 AP ][/list]

Sustained Abilities
[list]Concentration: Half +AC is converted to Hit. [ 25 AP ][/list]

Passive Abilities
[list]Fletch: Creates 1d10 + 2*DEX regular arrows whenever Erinelca rests. [ 65 AP ][/list]

Attributes:
DEX: +3
AGI: +4
VIT: +1
INT: -2

Ability Points: 10

Scripts:
- nil

Description: Pretty average build and height, plain clothing.

Erinelca was raised in a forest. When he was young his parents disappeared and left him a bow and some arrows. To survive he had to hunt and learn how to make arrows. Then the forest was set ablaze, causing Erinelca to want to become stronger to protect forests.
Terrible terrible story go!!!!
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Eh, good enough to work with. Just try to flesh it out a bit more as we play.

What is it with you guys giving your characters gender-atypic names? I was convinced Surlak was the dude and Erinelca was the lady.

Anyway, looks like we can start. If anyone else wants to join later I can work them in somehow. Writing the next post.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

I actually have no idea how much that is, but whatever.
100 gold is arbitrarily enough to supply yourselves moderately at the first town, if that tells you anything...
octagon

Post by octagon »

Cimeries wrote:What is it with you guys giving your characters gender-atypic names? I was convinced Surlak was the dude and Erinelca was the lady.
I'd find it weird if RPG settings' languages all had familiar tendencies in name morphemes. Though the settings tend to be so eurasian in other regards like jobs and gender and technology that it does fit the picture.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Oh man, writing a post with a tablet is not as comfortable as I imagined it to be (but at least doesn't take much longer than on a computer).
I have no clue as to how I'll do the combat bits, but I'll figure something out.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

I wanna say that's a tourist, though it's probably not a tourist.

That is, in fact, a tourist. PF5 should be fammiliar with the guy.