Dream Eater PnP - Rules of Engagement

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Re: Dream Eater PnP - Rules of Engagement

Post by Agent of Dread »

Natalia, Lv0 [00] B.Knight [Front]
23/23 HP

+2 DMG | +6 HIT | +4 AC
Weapon: Bastard sword [ - ]
Armor: ?? [ AC]
Spoiler:
Inventory...[ 00/10 ][/size]

Active Abilities[list]Roughhouse [3/3]: Natalia attacks with her free hand, with a +1 to Hit. If Natalia has Flow, Roughhouse stuns the target for 1 turn if it connects.
Roundhouse [3/3]: Natalia kicks a target, dealing unarmed damage and reducing the target's AC by 3 for 1 turn if it connects. If Natalia has Flow, the target is also knocked back to cover.
Momentum Swing [3/3]: Natalia swings her weapon in a broad cleave, hitting a random second target (if any are eligible) alongside the first for standard damage. If Natalia has Flow, the primary target takes 150% damage. [/list]

Passive Abilities[list]Flow of the Fight: Whenever Natalia hits with an ability, she gains the status effect "Flow" during her next turn. Flow passively grants +1 Hit. Normal attacks do not grant Flow, but will maintain it.[/list]

Attributes:
STR: +4
DEX: +2
AGI: +3
VIT: +3
INT: -5
WIL: -2

Ability Points: 300

Scripts:
- nil.

Description: Natalia is a twenty-something girl of slightly above average height and full, but somewhat toned, build, sporting long crimson hair and a lightly freckled complexion. She stands proud, but not arrogant, wearing her strength on display but without anxiousness to prove it. She wears a decorative red half-cape, a reminder of a story from another time, whenever practical.
Portrait:
Not sure how to go about armour, but I would like something like the reinforced gauntlets to go with the slight focus on unarmed. Just black leather works for everything else.
If the bastard sword needs to be wielded with two hands, how much AP for a passive that lets me use it with one?
Last edited by Agent of Dread on Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Very interesting. I love the use of the Flow combat mechanic and the way it modifies your abilities.

This is a trait that Natalia's abilities are actually share with those that I gave Desmond in this incarnation:
Spoiler:
Active Abilities
Vault Attack: Des jumps, and uses his weapon as a vaulting mechanism by implanting it into his enemy, and landing on the other side and flanking them. If backstabbing, this attack deals another x0.5 dmg, and stuns the target for 2 turns.

Guiliotine: A vertical spinning attack that causes the victim to bleed for 25% of its inflicted damage at the end of every turn for STR turns. If backstabbing, this attack deals an extra x1 dmg, the damage of the bleed effect is increased to 75%, and the duration of the bleeding is halved.

Passive Abilities
Guile: Attacking an enemy from behind, flanking, or when they are unaware of Des, grants a backstab effect for x1.5 DMG.

Brawler: Des can perform an unarmed attack as a minor action. If backstabbing, the target is dropped to the floor.

Raider: Des can only gain EXP from combat.

Black Reaver: Des gains 1 point of damage reduction per enemy outnumbering his formation, up to [WILx2]. This damage reduction cannot reduce incoming damage below 1.

There is also another black knight character later in the game that has a set of connected abilities like that too, focusing on speed and combat initiative.
Overall I'm very happy with the fact that every B.Knight has their own well-developed combat style worthy of the namesake. I'll AP your stuff a bit later.
:wink:
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I've come up with a passable cover story for my character being part of the gang but late, and I'm nailing down her relationships with the other two now. The lore you gave Black Knights fit too perfectly with the character I exported, so I'm glad she doesn't disappoint as one. :)
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

I actually read a fair bit of Blackheart a few weeks ago to see what the fuss is about.
I do recognize the whole party outside now (a random tourist is a dead giveaway), but Des slipped right past me because appending "mond" to your name is apparently an effective way to disguise yourself.

That's a pretty neat moveset. I'm waiting for your next ability to bear the name "Roadhouse".
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

The lore you gave Black Knights fit too perfectly with the character I exported, so I'm glad she doesn't disappoint as one.
That reminds me that I ought to do more lore dumps, I completely forgot about wanting to do that.

Anyway, your shizz:

Weapon:
Longsword (1-8 DMG, REQ: 1 STR OH)
or
Broadsword (4-8 DMG, REQ: 3 STR OH)
or
Bastard Sword [6-10 Dmg, REQ: 3 STR TH / 6 STR 3 DEX OH]

Armor: Black Leather Armor (3 AC)
Cloak: Natalia's Cape
Hands: Leather Gauntlets (+1 Unarmed Dmg)

In case the annotation isn't clear: The Bastard sword requires 3 STR to wield with both hands (TH), and 6 STR and 3 DEX to wield with one hand (OH).
If you don't meet your equipment's requirements, you get a 1 point penalty to HIT per point of difference.
Roughhouse [3/3]: Natalia attacks with her free hand, with a +1 to Hit. If Natalia has Flow, Roughhouse stuns the target for 1 turn if it connects.
10/25/45 AP per use if this is a major/minor/free action.
Roundhouse [3/3]: Natalia kicks a target, dealing unarmed damage and reducing the target's AC by 3 for 1 turn if it connects. If Natalia has Flow, the target is also knocked back to cover.
15/40/80 AP per use if this is a major/minor/free action.
Momentum Swing [3/3]: Natalia swings her weapon in a broad cleave, hitting a random second target (if any are eligible) alongside the first for standard damage. If Natalia has Flow, the primary target takes 150% damage.
70 AP per use.
Flow of the Fight: Whenever Natalia hits with an ability, she gains the status effect "Flow" during her next turn. Flow passively grants +1 Hit. Normal attacks do not grant Flow, but will maintain it.
200 AP
If the bastard sword needs to be wielded with two hands, how much AP for a passive that lets me use it with one?
You can get yourself an ability that reduces weapon requirements if you'd like.
Something like this:
XYZ Bearer: Reduces requirements for XYZ type equipment (Sword, Shield, Armor etc.) by 1/2/3
for 20/40/60 AP.

Alternatively:
Lady's touch: Natalia can ignore the OH requirements for heavy weapons as long as she meets the TH requirements.
220 AP.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Natalia, Lv0 [00] B.Knight [Front]
23/23 HP

+2 DMG | +4 HIT | +4 AC
Weapon: Bastard sword [6-10 DMG, OH]
Armor: Black Leather Armor [3 AC]
Cloak: Natalia's Cape
Hands: Leather Gauntlets (+1 Unarmed Dmg)
Spoiler:
Inventory...[ 00/10 ][/size]

Active Abilities[list]Roughhouse [0/0]: Natalia attacks with her free hand, with a +1 to Hit. If Natalia has Flow, Roughhouse stuns the target for 1 turn if it connects.
Roundhouse [2/2]: Natalia kicks a target, dealing unarmed damage and reducing the target's AC by 3 for 1 turn if it connects. If Natalia has Flow, the target is also knocked back to cover. [30 AP]
Momentum Swing [1/1]: Natalia swings her weapon in a broad cleave, hitting a random second target (if any are eligible) alongside the first for standard damage. If Natalia has Flow, the primary target takes 150% damage. [70 AP] [/list]

Passive Abilities[list]Flow of the Fight: Whenever Natalia hits with an ability, she gains the status effect "Flow" during her next turn. Flow passively grants +1 Hit. Normal attacks do not grant Flow, but will maintain it. [200 AP] [/list]

Attributes:
STR: +4
DEX: +2
AGI: +3
VIT: +3
INT: -5
WIL: -2

Ability Points: 0

Scripts:
- nil.

Description: Natalia is a twenty-something girl of slightly above average height and full, but somewhat toned, build, sporting long crimson hair and a lightly freckled complexion. She stands proud, but not arrogant, wearing her strength on display but without anxiousness to prove it. She wears a decorative red half-cape, a reminder of a story from another time, whenever practical.
Portrait:
Took the bastard sword, I'll take that hit deficit for the time being. Gives me something to work towards. Should I add some notifier of the -2 Hit alongside just subtracting it from my total?
I'll get her into the thread now so the story doesn't run away without her.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Lists your stats as usual (without the penalty), but list your equipped broadsword as:

Bastard Sword [6-10 Dmg] [4/6 STR, 2/3 DEX: OH: -3 HIT]

So that if you ever want to do a two-handed attack, you can just do one without all the math.
Since you didn't take Roughouse yet, maybe just hold it twohanded for now.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I guess that is a pretty good point. :P
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Inserting another post that details things in a previous one is kind of unwieldy... I hope it's okay if I do that?
Of course. As long as you don't make any contradictions in this way, this is a valid form of RP.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Will a torch, length of rope, etc last us long enough to get buy without buying more than one? I assume that's the only reason they wouldn't be stackable.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

I haven't decided exactly how I'm going to handle the torch just yet (there was also supposed to be a lamp that uses oil, but I didn't feel like messing with all that stuff).
It should last a fair bit of time if you remember to put it out when it's not needed.

The rope you'll be able to re-use as long as you can retrieve it and it's not torn.
octagon

Post by octagon »

I'm surprised by Flow's AP cost (I guess I'd include the empowered effects in the active skills' costs), but this approach does make a lot of sense (especially for the sake of not making multiple uses unviable).

Do you have any rule of thumb for AP cost/effect ratios? In my system, I gave the players 50 starting AP plus 20 per level, and as a rule of thumb, skills that allow you to inflict/prevent/undo an additional attack's worth of damage per fight cost 10 AP, but I have no idea if that's actually reasonable. My system is balanced for brawls between huge parties, though, so damage is generally fairly low compared to health (to prevent random turn 1 KOs).
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

My main rule of thumb is that the price of an ability should reflect how useful it is, and should be consistent with the prices of other abilities before it (both of these are in regards to all characters, not just the one the ability is meant for).

There isn't a formula per-se, I just use my own judgment. That means that the prices I give you for the abilities are negotiable if you can make a good case for them.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I think it's a pretty fair price to establish a mechanic that will be relevant throughout the whole game.
Should we use up all our remaining gold on health potions after everyone is done spending?
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

A quick change: Bonus exp for tactics etc. is now awarded to all players, regardless of who actually did the action, so Erinelca should have a total of 53 exp points right now.

Also, Surlak gets a :cookie: for the expanded background. Keep track of that one somewhere. :wink: