[PnP] Predestination - Talk

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Ditto
Jungle Warrior (Committed contributor)

Re: [PnP] Predestination - Talk

Post by Ditto »

Cimeries wrote:Ditto, what's the deal with having a healbot anyway? I personally like it without one, it makes tactics and managing resources more important than just finding a corner to cry in while the healbot's MP refills.
Well, frankly, pf5bot was something I just did for the hell of it and took less than ten minutes to put together - I didn't really expect it to be a used character.

But I disagree. The point of a healing character is to keep characters alive during battle and play the supportive role, strengthening the party. Yes, there's always the problem of "the healer's out of MP," but that applies to magic damage dealers low on MP, low skill uses, or even a warrior low on HP, doesn't it? It's more of a problem you get with any finite resource : sitting in a corner and crying is something that coincides with when you don't use tactics and manage limited resources. A good party will still be tactical and manage resources even with more survivability, because it extends that survivability further.

You don't need one, but it's nice to have to reduce downtime.
"It only hurts when my squad won't f***ing heal me."

http://guildedage.net/
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

I just like managing resources that are actually finite more than managing resources that replenish whenever we essentially feel like it, and a party without a healer relies much more on the former, it makes for a more tense game (compare playing Nethack as a character with healing spells and as a character without).

Also, if we have a dedicated healer character, the GM will make encounters hard enough to justify a dedicated healer (well, I would anyway, I can't speak for AoD).
:wink:
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

PF5BOT HEALS ALL. BEEP.

PF5BOT HEALS ALL.

Who says the healer will heal only you? :P :twisted:

Edit: Besides, pf5bot could be offed via AoD saying "no non-humanoids allowed"; I'll be fine either way.
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

It's so much more fun to try and avoid taking damage in the first place than to just heal up every scratch the instance it gets inflicted. =/
Which is one of the reasons why I never focus on HP very much. Combat is somewhat random, you can't always completely avoid getting hit - but being able to just outtank your enemies isn't necessary.

By the way, Shelly only has 15 HP by my calculations, not 16. He has the usual +1 HP modifier, but 1 times 0 is 0.
Actually, he also gets a spell and 1 MP.

Yumiko, Lv 0.00 [Front]
HP 16/16
MP ■■
4-11 Dmg | +6 Hit | 18 AC
Steel halberd [ 1d8 Dmg | 2h ]
Leather cloak [ 2 AC ]
Spoiler: Inventory & Status
Items (2/7):
[list][*]Longbow [ +2 Dmg ]
[*][50/50] Iron arrows [ 1d4 Dmg ]
[*]...
[*]...
[*]...
[*]...
[*]...[/list]

Spells (0/3):
[list][*]...
[*]...
[*]...[/list]

Abilities (115/120 AP)
[list][*]Quick Strike [ 2 / 2 ] [ Active ] [ 30 AP ]
As a minor action, Yumiko executes a normal physical attack with a -1 penalty to Hit and Dmg.
[*]Finesse [ Passive ] [ 40 AP ]
Yumiko relies on finesse instead of brute strength to hit her enemies where it really hurts.
Increases damage dealt with physical attacks by DEX/2.

[*]Caution [ Passive ] [ 25 AP ]
Sometimes, it's a good idea to take things slowly to avoid getting hurt.
Whenever Yumiko doesn't use her minor action during combat, she gains a +4 AGI bonus until she next gets a turn.

[*]Soul Drain [ Passive ] [ 20 AP ]
Whenever an enemy is KO'd, Yumiko passively absorbs some of its magical power and regains one MP.[/list]

Traits
[list][*]Tainted Blood
Yumiko is a demon. This doesn't make her inherently evil, but her physical and mental capabilities are a bit different than a human's.
[list][*]She is nocturnal and can see very well in the dark.
[*]She is a bit stronger than a normal human of her build would be, giving her +5 stat points.
[*]Aside from HP recovery spells, she cannot learn any spells with effects directly beneficial to their target(s). If she attempts to do so anyway, the effects of the spell she learns are reversed - a buff becomes a debuff, for instance.
[*]She has a low tolerance to heat. Heat- and fire-based attacks deal 50% more damage to her.
[*]She has a very low natural recovery rate. The time she needs to recover HP and damaged modifiers via resting is tripled.[/list][/size]

[*]Wings
Yumiko has a pair of large bat-like wings. These wings are fully functional - she can use them to fly if there's enough space.
[list][*]Taking off into the air or landing back on the ground is a minor action. Yumiko cannot fly if there isn't enough room to do so, if her wings are injured or if she wears heavy armor.
[*]While flying, Yumiko cannot be hit by melee attacks and fully ignores formations - she doesn't cover her team's cover row and can attack the enemy cover row in melee without provoking any checks. If she does attack in melee herself, she can be hit by any counter-attacks the target may be capable of using, however.
[*]If Yumiko takes physical damage to her wings while flying, she has to make a FOR check against the amount of damage she took. If she fails the check, she plummets to the ground (possibly taking further damage by the impact) and cannot fly again until her wings have recovered from the injuries.[/list]
However, this also means that she can only wear clothes and armor that have an opening on the back that she can fit her wings through. Cloaks on the other hand are fine.[/size][/list]

Attributes:
+2 Strength
+5 Dexterity
+4 Agility
-3 Fortitude
+2 Intellect
±0 Willpower

HPMod: +1

Appearance:
- Somewhat short, slightly curly black hair
- Crimson red eyes
- 1.71m tall
- Pale skin
- Large black bat-like wings
- Orange shirt with red ruby-like buttons on it and collar in the same red color. The sleeves end in black frills. Has two small holes on the back for the wings.
- Short dark red skirt with a faint star pattern on it
- Wears a black silk pantyhose
- Black shoes
- Looks to be around 17 years old.
Screw FOR (-2), I have STR (+2).
I'll totally regret that If we ever fight archers

Spells:
- Single-target HP recovery
- Multi-target debuff (preferably something that makes the targets deal less damage, miss more often or both)
- Multi-target status ailment (either poison or something that prevents the targets from acting), preferably with some added damage
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

Which is one of the reasons why I never focus on HP very much. Combat is somewhat random, you can't always completely avoid getting hit - but being able to just outtank your enemies isn't necessary.
But you are just out-tanking your enemies, except by using your AC to effectively nullify damage instead of HP just to absorb it. Dodging is entirely random - if you survive with dodging, you often got lucky with rolls, and if you don't, then you often got unlucky with rolls. I play full-on high HP characters because it's consistent : you can't get lucky with your HP, you can't get screwed over with your HP, and you always know how many more hits you can handle.

Shade

Post by Shade »

Ditto wrote:
But you are just out-tanking your enemies, except by using your AC to effectively nullify damage instead of HP just to absorb it. Dodging is entirely random - if you survive with dodging, you often got lucky with rolls, and if you don't, then you often got unlucky with rolls. I play full-on high HP characters because it's consistent : you can't get lucky with your HP, you can't get screwed over with your HP, and you always know how many more hits you can handle.
Well, I guess you could see it like that. Dodge-tanking is the FE way of doing things. :teach:
And as FE shows, if you're good at dodging, you can easily outlast any HP tank.

But actually, I rely more on my abilities and stuff to avoid damage.
If an enemy can't attack me, it can't damage me.
Be it because I'm flying or because it's paralyzed. :teach:
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

Shade wrote:And as FE shows, if you're good at dodging, you can easily outlast any HP tank.
Reminds me of that Wesnoth dwarf campaign and the scenario where you are zergrushed by trolls and the best way to survive is to surround yourself with cheap Thief dodge-tanks...
ShellShocker
Rust Eater (Senior Member)

Post by ShellShocker »

Shade wrote:By the way, Shelly only has 15 HP by my calculations, not 16. He has the usual +1 HP modifier, but 1 times 0 is 0.
Actually, he also gets a spell and 1 MP.
Thanks for re-checking my stats; you're a life saver.
Then again.. I don't really want 1 MP or a spell, haha.

//edit:
  • Red, Lv 0.00 (Front)
    HP 15/15
    MP
    2d6+1 Dmg | 4 Hit | 18 AC
    Two-handed Sword [ 2d6 Dmg ]
    Studded Leather Armour [ 3 AC | Cap at +6 | -1 Mal ]
    Items (1/8):
    - Red Rose

Abilities ( 90 / 90 AP):
    [list][*]Fatal Blow [ 2 / 2 ] [ Active ] [ 60 AP ]
    Red aims for the enemy's vital body parts in order to deal double the damage he would normally do.
    [*]Critical Hit [ Passive ] [ 30 AP ]
    If Red gets a total number of 20 on his attack roll, he will deal double the damage with his strike.
Stats:
+3 Strength
+3 Dexterity
+4 Agility
-4 Fortitude
-1 Intellect
±0 Willpower

Appearance:

Story:
Nothing is currently known about Red.[/spoiler][/list]
Do spells cost AP? If not can I get a spell that weakens an enemy's AC for ? turns? Also, do all spells cost 1 MP to use?
Last edited by ShellShocker on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This signature picture has been cropped to fit the size limit.
Shade

Post by Shade »

ShellShocker wrote:Do spells cost AP?
Nope. Spells are defined by the GM, but are free to learn - as long as you have at least 1 MP to make use of them (which you do), you can always get a simple spell to assist you.
ShellShocker wrote:Also, do all spells cost 1 MP to use?
Yep.
ShellShocker

Post by ShellShocker »

I'm not sure how that ended up in my Spoiler... :o
Thanks.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

I don't really want a walking Big Lipped Alligator Moment in the PnP, but I won't stop you from playing altogether.
@Shell:
[Sluggish]
Reduces the enemy's AC by 4 + Int + Wil/2 for Wil + 2 turns, single target.

And your crit ability is still messy. It's not if your attack roll totals 20, it's if the dice roll part of it rolls a 20.

@Shade:
[Invigorate]
Restores Int + Wil/2 HP for a single target.

[Fade Out]
Makes your party seem transparent and fluctuating, giving enemies -4 for their Hit bonuses.

[Poison Cloud]
Deals Int damage to whole enemy party on first turn, then Int/2 on second turn, and Int/3 on third, before dissipating.

@Ditto:
Rain of Flame will be Int on each foe, with a -2 to your hit check for each enemy for it.
Fireball will be Int x 1.5.
Burden will be Wil/2.

Feel free to fluffy up descriptions or change names as you like, but there's your stats.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

I resign, then.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Okay, when I get on my laptop later today we'll start.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

Lol, with Impact I'm better off using Rain of Fire on one guy than Fireball on one guy.

ShellShocker

Post by ShellShocker »

• Red, Lv 0.00 (Front)
    HP 15/15
    MP
    2d6+1 Dmg | 4 Hit | 18 AC
    Two-handed Sword [ 2d6 Dmg ]
    Studded Leather Armour [ 3 AC | Cap at +6 | -1 Mal ]
    Items (2/8):
    - Red Rose
    - Lockpick

Skills ( 60 / 90 AP):
    [list][*]Fatal Blow [ 2 / 2 ] [ Use ] [ 60 AP ]
    Red aims for the enemy's vital body parts in order to deal double the damage he would normally do.
Abilities ( 30 / 90 AP):
  • Critical Hit [ Passive ] [ 30 AP ]
    If Red gets a 20 on his attack roll, he will deal double the damage with his strike.
Spells:
  • Sluggish [ 1 / 1 MP ] [ MP Use ]
    Reduces a single enemy's AC by 4 for 2 turns.
    [(4+Int+Wil/2) for Wil + 2]
Stats:
+3 Strength
+3 Dexterity
+4 Agility
-4 Fortitude
-1 Intellect
±0 Willpower

Appearance:

Story:
You currently know nothing about Red.[/spoiler][/list]
Final sheet for game reference. Took a lockpick and added spell, btw.