[PnP] The Rebellion (Talk)

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Re: [PnP] The Rebellion (Talk)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

• Flannán, Lv 0.00 (Front)
    HP 24/24
    MP
    ?-1 Dmg | ?+4 Hit | ?+17 AC
    rapier [ ? Dmg ]
    leather armor [ ? AC | Cap at ? | ? Mal ]
    Spoiler: Inventory & Status
    Items (0/3):
    ---

Spells (0/1):
    ---

Abilities ( ??/70 AP):
    [list][*]Concentrate [ 2 / 2 ] [ Active ] [ ?? AP ]
    Flannán charges up power for the next turn only. [ x[2+lvl] Dmg, +1 Hit ]
    [ Currently x2 Dmg, +1 Hit ]

[*]Critical Knowledge [ Passive ] [ ?? AP ]
    Can score criticals.
Stats:
-2 Strength
+5 Dexterity
+5 Agility
+3 Fortitude
-3 Intellect
-3 Willpower

HPMod: +2

Appearance:
[Insert description and/or picture]

Story:
[Insert your character's background and story][/spoiler][/list]

Time to reuse a character but not really!
(I haven't played a PnP since November 2010 :o)
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

I've got a character idea. Do we get to lead a rebellion? Is the enemy specific? Because she's variably plot-workable depending on that stuff. She should be a pretty cool gal who fights rebellions and doesn't afraid of anything though.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

penguinflyer5234 wrote:?-1 Dmg
Negative strength does not decrease the damage dealt, only accuracy. :)
penguinflyer5234 wrote:rapier [ ? Dmg ]
As your chosen armor is pretty weak, let's make your rapier worthwhile: [ 1d6+1 Dmg | +1 Hit ]
penguinflyer5234 wrote:leather armor [ ? AC | Cap at ? | ? Mal ]
Choose one:
leather cuirass [ 2 AC | Cap at +8 ]
studded leather armor [ 3 AC | Cap at +6 | -1 Mal ]

penguinflyer5234 wrote:[*]Concentrate [ 2 / 2 ] [ Active ] [ ?? AP ]
25 AP sounds fine.
penguinflyer5234 wrote:[*]Critical Knowledge [ Passive ] [ ?? AP ]
Can score criticals.[/list]
20 AP if a natural 20 results in x2 damage.
30 AP if a natural 19 or higher results in x2 damage.
40 AP if a natural 18 or higher results in x2 damage.
50 AP if a natural 17 or higher results in x2 damage.
30 AP if a natural 20 results in x3 damage.
45 AP if a natural 19 or higher results in x3 damage.
60 AP if a natural 18 or higher results in x3 damage.
75 AP if a natural 17 or higher results in x3 damage.
penguinflyer5234 wrote:Time to reuse a character but not really!
(I haven't played a PnP since November 2010 :o)
Yeah, I remember Flannán. :)

@AoD: What you'll be doing once you've got enough supporters for your cause will basically be a rebellion, yes. :)
The enemy is dependent on your characters; I'll try to make the enemy whatever makes the most sense given your characters.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Alright, this should work out nicely for her. I'll make a note to write her up while I have free time (past midnight here :P).
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

• Flannán, Lv 0.00 (Front)
    HP 24/24
    MP 00/00
    1d6+1 Dmg | 5 Hit | 20 AC
    Rapier [ 1d6+1 Dmg | +1 Hit ]
    Studded leather armor [ 3 AC | Cap at +6 | -1 Mal ]
    Items (0/3):
    ---

Spells (0/1):
    ---

Abilities ( 70/70 AP):
    [list][*]Concentrate [ 2 / 2 ] [ Active ] [ 25 AP ]

[*]Critical Knowledge [ Passive ] [ 45 AP ]
    Does x3 damage if Flannán rolls a natural 19 or higher.
Stats:
-2 Strength
+5 Dexterity
+5 Agility
+3 Fortitude
-3 Intellect
-3 Willpower

HPMod: +2

Appearance:
- Tall and slim
- Blue-green eyes
- Brown Fire-Emblem-length-hair-what-is-this-adjective :|

Story:
Flannán was a raised by some peasant couple. He dreamed about being a royal swordsman so he could support his family; thus he trained everyday. A few years later, their crops were bad and because his parents couldn't afford their taxes, they were killed, unbeknownst to Flannán. A few months later, Flannán returned to their house and found that some other couple was living there. They told Flannán their knowledge of what happened to his parents, but the couple didn't know about their debt to the country. Outraged, Flannán swore to overthrow the country, remembering about his parents and the fact that the country only allows swordsmen to become royal swordsmen if they are of noble birth.[/spoiler][/list]

Done! (more or less)

...wait, what does AC do and how does damage work exactly :|
Also, if I add points to FOR/STR from a level up does my base HP go up too?
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

penguinflyer5234 wrote:...wait, what does AC do and how does damage work exactly :|
When an enemy attacks you, they roll a twenty sided die and add their Hit bonus to that number.
You roll a twenty sided die and add your AC (armor class) to your number. If your final number was higher, they missed. If theirs was higher they hit you.
In short the more AC you have the less likely you will be hit by regular attacks.

penguinflyer5234 wrote:Also, if I add points to FOR/STR from a level up does my base HP go up too?
Yes.
:wink:
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

So basically if I attack myself, I get a 15 or so in 400 chance of hitting myself? :shock:
(46 in 400 if natural 20 = autohit and natural 1 = automiss)
Shade

Post by Shade »

Cimeries wrote:
penguinflyer5234 wrote:...wait, what does AC do and how does damage work exactly :|
When an enemy attacks you, they roll a twenty sided die and add their Hit bonus to that number.
You roll a twenty sided die and add your AC (armor class) to your number. If your final number was higher, they missed. If theirs was higher they hit you.
In short the more AC you have the less likely you will be hit by regular attacks.
Actually, for physical attacks, only the attacker rolls a die. The AC already is the absolute value of your defense.

Basically, it works like this:
Let's take your +5 Hit against an enemy with an AC of 18.
You roll a 10. 10 + 5 = 15. However, your target has an AC of 18, so you miss.
You roll a 15. 15 + 5 = 20. 20 his higher than 18, so you hit.
You roll a 13. 13 + 5 = 18. That's equal to your enemy's AC, which, according to the rules I use, is enough to count as a hit; saves me some unnecessary re-rolling.

In this case, your chance to hit would be 8 out of 20 possible results, or 40%.

Natural 1s and 20s are neither auto-miss nor auto-hit. I pondered quite a while whether they should be, but in the end decided against it. You can take an ability that does this to your rolls, though.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

• Soren, Lv 0.00 (Front)
    HP 16/16
    MP 04/04
    1d4 Dmg | ±0 Hit | 14 AC
    Dagger [ 1d4 Dmg | +2 Hit]
    Old Robe [ 1 AC ]
    Grim Aegis [ 2 AC | Haunt Focus: +1 HP ]
    Items (0/3):
    -
    -
    -

Spells (3/6):
    [list][*]Toxic Mist
    [Current: 3 damage, 2 poison for 3 turns | 15 Hit vs. FOR ]
    The caster creates a cloud of poisonous olive-colored mist in a chosen area nearby. Anyone caught in the mist will have to make a FOR check with a DG of [10 + INT], and will take [WIL] poison damage as well as suffer a poisoning of [1 + WIL/2] damage for [1 + INT/2] turns if they fail it.
    [*]Harm
    [Current: 2d8+3 dmg | +5 Hit vs. AGI]
    The caster concentrates and commands raw arcane energy to rend the victim's flesh, inflicting severe wounds upon a hit. Deals [2d8 ± WIL] damage.
    [*]False Life
    [Current: +65% HP for 7 turns]
    The caster injects magical energy into the target's life force, temporarily allowing them to survive much more severe wounds than their body could usually take. The target receives [50 ± 5x WIL]% additional HP, up to 150% of their maximum. However, this magical energy is very unstable and dissipates after [5 ± INT/2] turns, taking away just as many HP as it previously added. The target is guaranteed to survive this loss of HP even if it takes them into the negatives, although any further damage will then take them out as usual.
Abilities ( 135/150 AP):
  • Image Haunt [ 1 / 1 ] [ Active ] [ 25 AP ]
    [Current: 2 HP | 5 Dmg | +5 Hit | Poison: 2 Dmg for 1 turns ]
    Soren creates a stationary dire totem of bone and animates it with unlife. The totem will fire venomous magic missiles at his enemies until it is destroyed or dismissed by Soren. The totem has 1 + [INT/3] HP and always takes 1 point of damage from attacks. Its missiles deal [INT] damage upon hit, inflict poison of [INT/2] damage and [WILL/2] duration, and have a hit bonus of [INT].
    This ability costs 1 MP to use and requires a corpse. The corpse is destroyed in the process. Soren can use certain special items as a controlling focus to give individual haunts extra abilities, but only one such effect can be chosen with each haunt.
  • Image Accelerate Poison [ 3 / 3 ] [ Active ] [ 15 AP ]
    Directly manipulate and guide the venom inside of a poisoned victim, making them instantly take all delayed poison damage that they still have stacked on them, and deals a bonus [INT] poison damage on top of that.
  • Image Toxic Gift [ Passive ] [ 20 AP ]
    Whenever Soren is afflicted with poison, he recovers 1 MP. He will not recover MP if he was poisoned by his own spell or from a Haunt he created.
  • Image Viperblood [ Passive ] [ 25 AP ]
    Whenever Soren sustains poison damage, the amount is always disregarded and he only loses 1 HP.
  • Image Tools of the Trade [ Passive ] [ 50 AP ]
    + 2 inventory slots.
Stats:
-4 Strength
±0 Dexterity
+1 Agility
±0 Fortitude
+5 Intellect
+3 Willpower

HPMod: +1
AP: 15

Appearance:
- Medium Height and build.
- Brown Eyes.
- Short, carefully groomed brown beard. Hair cut to a buzz.
- Wears decorative teeth and bone necklaces.

Background:
- Member of a shamanic, tribal society that deliberately lives on the outskirts of civilization, in the forests.
- A corrupt ruler (baron?) of the lands his tribe resides in constantly attempts to drive his tribe away. The ruler often sends his men to harass Soren's community, steal livestock, interrupt their hunting or foraging, etc.[/spoiler][/list]

I think I'm done.
Would you mind if I describe Ray of Pain as if the wounds appeared directly on the enemy when it hits, like the harm spell from dnd (it can still miss the same way)? It's a flavor thing.
:wink:
Shade

Post by Shade »

Cimeries wrote:I think I'm done.
Would you mind if I describe Ray of Pain as if the wounds appeared directly on the enemy when it hits, like the harm spell from dnd (it can still miss the same way)? It's a flavor thing.
Oh, there's a spell called Harm in D&D... I knew I was missing something. xD
Sure, feel free to change the flavor and even the name of the spell to reflect this.
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

Soren's skillset reminds me of Moke from The Reconstruction. Whoa, he's one awesome lizard.
Ditto
Jungle Warrior (Committed contributor)

Post by Ditto »

Orgeus - , Lvl 1 Dwarf Cleric (Front) -00-
======================================================
Image 17/17
Image 7/7
Image 1/1
Image ?-??, +? Hit
- Musket (?d?, +? Hit, 20/20)-
Image 10
- Chain Robe - (03 AC)
Spoiler: Inventory and Status
Stuff (2/2):
- Bottle of Ale
- Broken Holy Symbol

Spells (3/6):
- Light Orb [ MP] -
Orgeus releases an orb of benevolent light at an ally.
[ --] - Heals one ally for [n] HP (or restores [n] of some status conditions, if allowed). Balanced mana cost.

- Barrier -
Orgeus protects himself with a shield of light.
[ --] - Increases AC by [n] for [n] turns. Balanced mana cost.

- Smite -
Orgeus turns light into a solid form and smashes it into the enemy.
[ --] - A damage spell with a low mana cost.

Abilities:
- Repair -
(Passive)
Orgeus knows about the structure of machines, and thus can affect their workings with the aid of magic.
[ AP] - Orgeus can repair machinery and contraptions with healing spells, and allies can also do so as long as he is present and able to advise them.
[ AP] - Orgeus deals double damage to machinery and contraptions with offensive spells, and allies can also do so as long as he is present and able to advise them.

- Potshot [2/2]-
(Active)
Orgeus takes a quick shot that allows him to still tend to injured allies.
[ AP] - When used, Orgeus can attack with a ranged attack that takes up only a minor action.
[ AP] - Hits with this attack interrupt any action taken by that enemy on that turn.

- Cover -
(Sustained)
Orgeus is past his prime, and knows how to hide in cover and let others take the hits.
[ AP] - Orgeus gains 1/2/3 AC in the cover row.

- Affinity -
(Passive)
Orgeus has an affinity for healing magic, and is more effective while using it.
[ AP] - Orgeus gains 25/50% extra healing using healing spells.
[ AP] - Orgeus can overheal targets up to 50% extra HP during battle, decaying at the end of a battle.

- Infusion -
(Active)
Orgeus infuses the target with energy, allowing them to perform additional actions.
[ AP] - Gives the target an additional action on that turn.
[ AP] - Uses either 1 MP and a minor action or a major action. Using the spell twice a turn increases the cost by an additional mana point on top of the original two.

- Serenity -
(Sustainable)
Orgeus can rest himself in order to restore his strength.
[ AP] - Orgeus regains [1/2] MP on any turn on which he doesn't take a major action.

Stats:
Strength: -3
Dexterity: +3
Agility: -5
Fortitude: +0
Intellect: +5
Willpower: +5

Info:
Ability Points: 150
Base Attack: (1d3, +1 Hit)
HP Modifier: 1

Story and Appearance:
A heavyset, middle-aged dwarf, Orgeus is a man far past his prime, and not happy about it. He wears a horned, golden plated helm that represents his status- or former status- and dons a fine-crafted outfit that is a mix of fine white and red cloth, over which he wears a robe of chainmail. Despite not having yet reached an elderly age, Orgeus's long, tied beard is gray, and Orgeus's skin is pale and heavy from years indoors. Orgeus has a tired expression on his face, with drooping eyes and thick eyebrows. A pocketed belt on his waste carries nothing but a bottle of ale in a satchel at his side, a fine-tuned and well-crafted musket that shows signs of age, and the unchained end of a broken holy symbol that dangles out of a pocket. Orgeus's sad expression often seems bitter, but is betrayed at times by moments of silent happiness and the wisdom that he shares. He walks with a slouch, as if the weight of the world is on his shoulders.

Orgeus was once a prominent government official, but after unknown tragic circumstances led to a bout of severe depression, Orgeus took up the habit of drinking and badmouthing other senators. Wanting him removed from office, but fearing firing him merely for insults would cause public outcry, officials set him up for a scandal that led to him getting a warrant for an arrest and him having to escape the country. Angry with the corrupt political system, Orgeus wants a change, and is willing to make that happen himself.
Decided I don't want to fully commit to the engineer idea with this character, so I'm rolling a back row support guy.

The skillset is very much based of of Tal from LoD, but I have some new ideas for the personality and backstory.

What? Not a tank! Preposterous!
"It only hurts when my squad won't f***ing heal me."

http://guildedage.net/
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I'd say muskets and the like benefit from higher damage than bows but have a turn which would have to be spent reloading them, or something like that, if we do them.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Ditto wrote: Image 7/7
The boni from your modifiers are always rounded towards zero, so you only have 5 MP right now; however, you can get 7 MP upon your next level up if you raise both INT and WIL to +6 each.
Ditto wrote:- Musket (?d?, +? Hit, 20/20)-
Musket [ 3d3+3 Dmg | 2h | 20/20 | requires a minor action to reload after each shot ]
(The first shot in a battle only requires the major action as usual, but if you're gonna use it more than once in the same battle, you'll have to reload it with a minor action each time.)
Ditto wrote:- Chain Robe - (03 AC)
Robes don't give that much AC.
Choose one:
Silk robe [ 1 AC ]
Chainmail [ 5 AC | Cap at +2 | -4 Mal ]
I'd be offering a chain shirt as well, but it's kinda better than a chainmail (lower malus, much higher cap) and the musket is already pretty damn powerful.
Ditto wrote:Stuff (2/2):
- Bottle of Ale
- Broken Holy Symbol
I said one utility item
Eh, I guess the symbol is only of sentimental value, so whatever.
Ditto wrote: - Light Orb [ MP] -
Orgeus releases an orb of benevolent light at an ally.
[ --] - Heals one ally for [n] HP (or restores [n] of some status conditions, if allowed). Balanced mana cost.
All spells cost one MP unless they're sustained.
Heals [1±WIL/2]d4 +[5±WIL] HP.
Ditto wrote: - Barrier -
Orgeus protects himself with a shield of light.
[ --] - Increases AC by [n] for [n] turns. Balanced mana cost.
Increases AC by 1+[WIL/3] for 3±[INT/2] turns. You can target anyone with it, not just yourself.
Ditto wrote: - Smite -
Orgeus turns light into a solid form and smashes it into the enemy.
[ --] - A damage spell with a low mana cost.
There's no variance in mana cost, so you get increased accuracy instead.
Deals 2d4±WIL damage. This spell has an additional +5 Hit bonus.

Ditto wrote: - Repair -
(Passive)
Orgeus knows about the structure of machines, and thus can affect their workings with the aid of magic.
[ AP] - Orgeus can repair machinery and contraptions with healing spells, and allies can also do so as long as he is present and able to advise them.
[ AP] - Orgeus deals double damage to machinery and contraptions with offensive spells, and allies can also do so as long as he is present and able to advise them.
30 AP in total.
Ditto wrote: - Potshot [2/2]-
(Active)
Orgeus takes a quick shot that allows him to still tend to injured allies.
[ AP] - When used, Orgeus can attack with a ranged attack that takes up only a minor action.
[ AP] - Hits with this attack interrupt any action taken by that enemy on that turn.
40 AP in total. Reloading the musket still takes an additional minor action.
Ditto wrote: - Cover -
(Sustained)
Orgeus is past his prime, and knows how to hide in cover and let others take the hits.
[ AP] - Orgeus gains 1/2/3 AC in the cover row.
+1 AC: 10 AP
+2 AC: 20 AP
+3 AC: 30 AP
Of course, you only get this bonus as long as someone is there to cover you.
Ditto wrote: - Affinity -
(Passive)
Orgeus has an affinity for healing magic, and is more effective while using it.
[ AP] - Orgeus gains 25/50% extra healing using healing spells.
[ AP] - Orgeus can overheal targets up to 50% extra HP during battle, decaying at the end of a battle.
10 AP for a 25% bonus, 25 AP for a 50% bonus.
35 AP for the overhealing thing.
In total, either 45 or 60.
Ditto wrote: - Infusion -
(Active)
Orgeus infuses the target with energy, allowing them to perform additional actions.
[ AP] - Gives the target an additional action on that turn.
[ AP] - Uses either 1 MP and a minor action or a major action. Using the spell twice a turn increases the cost by an additional mana point on top of the original two.
"An additional action" = a major action? So the target can do minor, major, major? Or just major, major? Just making sure.
Not allowing the major action only transfer without some kind of additional limitation.
Target's minor action remains: 50 AP.
Target's minor action becomes major: 45 AP.
If you limit the ability itself to 2 uses, you can keep the major action transfer option as well.
Ditto wrote: - Serenity -
(Sustainable)
Orgeus can rest himself in order to restore his strength.
[ AP] - Orgeus regains [1/2] MP on any turn on which he doesn't take a major action.
Considering there's no point in turning this ability off, I'd say it's actually passive.
40 AP for 1 MP.
30 AP for a version that only gives you 1 MP if you use neither your minor nor your major action a turn and additionally don't get hit by any damaging attacks until you next get a turn.

Ditto wrote:What? Not a tank! Preposterous!
Blasphemy!
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

The idea with infusion was that I give up 1 MP + a minor action or just a major action and the target gets an extra major action, no drawbacks.

With that said, is it acceptable for it to be 1 MP + a major action or 2 MP + a minor action?

I'll update my character soon.
"It only hurts when my squad won't f***ing heal me."

http://guildedage.net/