[RP] The Twilight Project - Game Thread

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Re: [RP] The Twilight Project - Game Thread

Post by Shade »

"And yet I was unable to do a thing, unable to seriously harm that monstrosity while you effortlessly blasted it away with a single spell."
But he seems to be willing to help her. She appreciates it, but it's not enough to make her smile right now.
"Thanks... Anything you can teach me would be great, and be it just basics. I've never had lessons in magic from a real magician; everything I know about magic is self-taught, is merely what I gathered from books, so I'm probably making a lot of mistakes without even knowing it."
Yeah... And it probably doesn't help that everytime she tried to use magic up to this point, she's been under enormous pressure, fighting for survival. To think she was even able to conjure any magic whatsoever in those situations is quite surprising, really. But with that out of the way, there's something else that's been bothering her.
"This unnatural twilight... Do you know anything about it? Can something like this be done with magic?"
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

"The twilight... I suppose that's what you'd call it, isn't it. If it is magic, it's very powerful magic. Not the sort of stuff one person could learn in a lifetime. Deep studies, passed down, I would say." Glen looks up, and then gestures in the direction of the Kennsford mansion.
"I'd better go see if those girls are okay. Kennsford will probably be back to check on them shortly after. Coming?" Although he doesn't speak of waiting, he doesn't walk until he gets a reaction from Alice.

Clack!
"Agh! Ah... whew. That feels a lot better." Ashley tests out her fixed knee. It bends properly when she tells it to, but not without noticeable pain. John sees her wincing and speaks.
"You should be fine now. Just avoid walking on it for any amount of time for a little while, and it will be back in full strength within the next day."
"Thankyou... thankyou. Should I go and get some money for you?"
"It's appreciated, but not required. The only thing you've taken is a few minutes of my time... and maybe a few years off my life when I saw that thing. Ha ha ha!" His gesture of goodwill is infectious, and Ashley and her companions smile as well.
"Ashley. Do you need more supplies? I understand that you won't have much foodstuffs for keeping those girls and yourself well-fed." Tom speaks up, implicitly offering his help.
"I guess you're right, I do. I only bought enough for those two meals last time."
"I'll fetch some stuff for you and bring it around. Pay me back later, eh?"
"Of course... I really must start paying back all of these favours, Tom."
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Shade

Post by Shade »

Deep studies, passed down... ...but for what gain? Why would anyone want to keep the world in this unnatural twilight and summon forth monsters to dwell in it?
"I see..."
But as Glen mentions the other girls, Alice pushes her thoughts aside. That's right, they need to check how they're doing. Garith seems to be safe right now, though, so they should be fine, hopefully.
"Right... I'm coming, I'm worried about them too."
But what are they going to do now? How long is this twilight going to last? There are so many things that need answering...
"What should we do now? Do you think the twilight will go away on its own? And... ...what should be do if it won't...?"
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

"What do we do now? That's something I can't tell you." He goes quiet for a moment. "We're looking at some dark times, Miss." Golly that was an awful pun.
Glen and Alice reach the house as Ashley limps up from the other direction, supported by the four girls.
"Shadestone? What's your business...?" Ashley says, looking like she is trying to be stoic but lacking the energy.
"Relax, I'm only here to offer my help. And you can call me Glen, you know."
"Right..." Ashley stayed on her guard.
"Anyway, we'd better see how the girls are doing."
Ashley takes the bundle of keys out of her coat pocket and starts undoing the locks, one by one. Right as the last one clicks, the door is opened from the inside - evidently the girls had heard the commotion.
"Ashley! What happened?"
"Long story... but I'll say one thing: it doesn't look like you're going anywhere but Garith now."
"Oh... who's that behind you?"
"Call me Glen. I'm going to stick around and help Ashley manage the place."
Ashley raises an eyebrow after she is referred to by her given name as opposed to her family name. Glen seemed to be getting quite familiar.
Shade

Post by Shade »

So he doesn't know how to deal with the situation either. Dark times these are indeed going to be, in every sense of the word.
They arrive at the mansion at roughly the same time Ashley does - however, she doesn't seem to be very fond of Glen's presence, probably for reasons that Alice wouldn't understand.
Fortunately, the girls seem to be fine, if somewhat nervous. However, it doesn't go by unnoticed by Alice that Ashley again seems to be annoyed by one of Glen's remarks. The last thing she wants right now is trouble - neither for herself nor for any of those who are important to her.
"Please, Ashley... He agreed to teach me some magic, so he's mainly sticking around because of me. He did offer to help out with everything else while he's at it, though, so we should be grateful."
She gives Glen a meaningful look. It would only make sense if that is why Ashley's annoyed.
"He doesn't seem like the type of guy who'd be tactless in times like these."
Alice wearily approaches the stairs. After all that happened today, she feels pretty tired, and in this twilight it's difficult to tell the time of day anyway.
"But for now, please excuse me... I need a break. Good night, or whatever you want to call this state of time."
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

"Teaching you? I suppose that's reasonable."
"Well, yes. I heard you had all of these girls to take care of, I figured I'd offer a hand."
"I welcome the help, I suppose. But I will need to ask you straight - is there an ulterior motive?"
"Well, not in the sense that it's going to end badly for you. You can let your guard down around me, I'm not the average Garith-born Kennsford-hater."
"Right... well, thankyou."
Ashley still isn't sure whether to trust him, but it really does seem like he's not filled with loathing.
"Feel free to make yourself familiar, then... I'll be back momentarily."
Ashley follows Alice up the stairs slowly, walking tenderly on her left leg, gesturing for all of the girls that were still out to follow. She thinks it's a good idea that they all get some rest.
"I know you must be bored, but it's not safe for you to run wild... bad things are happening."
Last of all, she sits on the bed next to Alice.
"You're probably still pretty bothered by that whole encounter, yeah? Don't let it get to you too much." She strokes Alice's hair lightly.
"We're the good guys! The good guys always win. You'll see, Alice."
And with that, she left Alice to her rest, and limped back down the stairs, to wait for Tom.
"I can stay at my house again if you'd rather."
"I think that would be good, for now. Set off when Tom gets here, it could be dangerous to travel alone. We don't even know how long Garith's walls will last."
"Okay. Until then, is it alright to ask about the full story of how you ended up with those girls?"
"Sure, whatever." Ashley begun to recount the tale...
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

About an hour later, Ashley had explained all of the events that lead to her winding up with a handful of orphaned girls, and Tom had arrived with a cart piled up with packages wrapped in brown paper. It seemed as though there would be no shortage of food in the Kennsford house anymore, no matter the time. As long as the walls of Garith still stood, there would be a place for the girls.
"Will this be enough for all of the ingredients, Tom?" Ashley was counting out a hefty stack of gold coins.
"Whew, I don't think I could ask for any more than that! I guess you could call this the beginning of a healthy business relationship." They both chuckled a bit. Ashley was relieved to see that at least some people's high spirits were not quashed by this uncanny twilight.
"Alright then. Thanks once more, and have a good... night? It's hard to tell."
"See you, take care." And then Tom departed. Following this, Glen sighed long and heartily as he stood up.
"Not bad, not bad. You really are a better woman than we make you out to be." Ashley is slightly taken aback by Glen's praise; it seems he really can be opened up to and received in honesty. She may have to give him a little more credit if he sticks around for this stuff...
"Anyway, I ought to head off too. I may be prodigious, but stuff like that magic spear is pretty taxing. Guess I'll see you around, Ashley."
"Yeah, I guess so. Bye. ...Glen." After this, Ashley also trails off to her room for sleep, not feeling comfortable enough with the moon's presence to blow out the candles lighting the house.

The next morning is met with initial panic. The sun still hasn't returned, so the house is almost fully shrouded in darkness despite it being a time when the light should have arrived. Eventually Ashley manages to get some lights lit, though, so peace returns and everyone settles in for a good breakfast. It's not long before the door is met with a sharp rapping.
"Attention! All Garith citizens are required to attend a town gathering, the nature of the discussion being that of the eclipse. Please be at the town square within the hour." Afterwards, the sound of footsteps can be heard trailing off. It seems as though they aren't taking much time to confirm presence, which probably makes sense considering that most people would be inclined to attend; this issue does affect everyone.
"Hrmm... I'm not really pleased by the idea of going to face all of the townspeople, but we are probably the best-informed people in town to attend... I suppose we should go."