The AoD Game - .rust (Talk)

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

The AoD Game - .rust (Talk)

Post by Shade »

Bootup...
Bootup complete.
Unknown Error.

It is the year 1731. The world is in an abysmal state.
Everything is dead and rotten. Vegetation is barely existent, the remaining human population is less than a thousand, and vile monsters, horrors beyond imagination, are in charge. The surface is swamped with dangerous abominations, meaning that the only remaining human settlement is hidden underground, only emerging when necessary to obtain important resources like wood or water.
How long has it been like this? No one remembers. Most of the achievements in human history have long been lost - their level of knowledge is roughly medieval, but due to the enormous lack of any kinds of metal, they just cannot advance any further. Even something like a simple iron sword is considered a valuable treasure by many.
Yet not only do people have to protect the entrance to the surface from monsters, there's also the cave system the settlement has been established in... It seems to go very far, but despite having lived here for possibly hundreds of years, nobody has dared to explore further. However, the monster attacks from the surface are getting more and more vicious every time. At this rate, even this last settlement will soon be overwhelmed. Something must be done...

Rules:

Roleplaying

1. For anything not adressed in this ruleset, generic RPG rules apply. You know the drill.

2. This PnP is AoD only! You can only make and control a single character, and the encounters will reflect this appropriately.

Combat

3. This PnP uses the traditional d20 for determining the success of all actions.
Physical attacks will hit if the attacker's d20 + Hit matches or exceeds the target's AC.
Scoring a natural 20 on an attack roll of a physical attack will result in a critical hit that will deal double damage. Abilities and certain weapons can adjust this mechanic.

4. You can take a number of actions per turn dependent on your stats. All actions count the same, unless they specifically state that they use up only half an action.

5. If your HP drop to 0 or less, you die. The end. This is a cruel world - don't expect any second chances, much less mercy.

Character Stats

6. Your main stats are HP (Health Points), SP (Spirit Points) and XP (Experience Points). You know what they do.

7. Advancing to the next level always takes 100 XP. After a level up your XP are reset to 0, though any leftover XP will be kept (e. g. reaching 108 XP would leave you with 8 XP after the level up). Gaining a level will allow you to distribute 3 additional points among your attributes.

8. You may define your active/sustained/passive abilities yourself, but the GM may change them if he deems them too imbalanced. Please refrain from making your abilities overly complex, as I don't really feel like spending three hours just to calculate one round of combat.
You can have up to 7 abilities. These may receive upgrades at certain points, depending on your actions, but you won't learn anything completely new, so choose well.

9. You can start out with any type of weapon you want, but it can't be made of metal or any other expensive material. Something like a spear with a stone tip would be fine, for instance.
You also get 3 Medicines (restores 50% of your HP). Use them well, resources will be scarce.

10. Your inventory is unlimited so long as you don't try to pick up unreasonably large/heavy items. No carrying around huge chests or barrels or statues or any funny stuff like that.

11. You may start out with up to 5 spells. You can define your spells yourself if you want to, but I may adjust them to make sure they're not over-/underpowered, as well as to maintain some sort of continuity between them (and suit my tastes). Choose well, as these will be the spells you'll be stuck with throughout the game. As with abilities, these spells may receive upgrades, but you won't get any altogether new ones.

12. Your attributes are:

Strength (STR)
- Every positive point increases your base HP by 2. Every negative point decreases your base HP by 1.
- Every point increases the damage your physical attacks deal by 1. Negative points do not decrease your damage.
A damaged/buffed STR modifier will not affect your HP.

Dexterity (DEX)
- Every point de-/increases your Hit bonus by 1.
- Every other point de-/increases your AC by 1.
- Every positive point grants you 0.1 extra actions. Negative points do not decrease your available actions.

Agility (AGI)
- Every point de-/increases your AC by 1.
- Every positive point grants you 0.2 extra actions. Negative points do not decrease your available actions.
- Your AGI is applied to your saving throw against various spells (mostly those that take on a physical form, like a fireball for example).

Fortitude (FOR)
- Every positive point increases your base HP by 4. Every negative point decreases your base HP by 2.
- Your FOR is applied to your saving throw against status ailments and illnesses.

Intellect (INT)
- Every positive point increases your base SP by 3. Negative points will not decrease your SP.
- Every other point de-/increases your (physical) Hit bonus by 1.
- Your INT determines the chance of success of many of your own spells. Negative points do not decrease the chance of success.
A damaged/buffed INT modifier will not affect your SP.

Willpower (WIL)
- Every positive point increases your base SP by 2. Negative points will not decrease your SP.
- Your WIL determines the effectiveness of many of your own spells. Negative points do not decrease their effectiveness.
- Your WIL is applied to your saving throw against some types of spells (mostly those that do not take on a physical form, like debuffs, curses and mind control).
A damaged/buffed WIL modifier will not affect your SP.

Luck (LUK)
Luck is everything and at the same time nothing. It will not directly affect your stats nor your performance in combat, but if you find yourself winning tough encounters against all odds or keep getting hit by random stray arrows, your luck may or may not be responsible for this.
If you don't know what to think of it, just leave it at 0.

...this results in the following sub-stats:
(+ only counts when that stat is positive, - only counts when that stat is negative)

Code: Select all

- Health                    (HP): 20 + 4xFOR - 2xFOR + 2xSTR - STR
 - Spirit                    (SP): 10 + 3xINT + 2xWIL
 - Actions                  (Act): 1.0 + DEX/10 + AGI/5
 - Damage                   (Dmg): Weapon damage + STR. If unarmed, weapon damage is 1-3.
 - Hit Bonus                (Hit): DEX ± INT/2 ± Weapon Hit
 - Armor Class               (AC): 10 ± DEX/2 ± AGI ± Equipment AC
Distribute your starting stats wisely.
Your modifiers can be anything from -5 to (4 + Lv). The sum of all your modifiers must not exceed +10 at the beginning, though you may distribute 3 more points everytime you level up.

• Example-kun, Lv 1.00
    HP 40/40
    SP 10/10
    3-6 Dmg | +0 Hit | 10 AC | 1.0 Act
    Hunter's Spear [ 3-6 Dmg, Crt at 19 ]
    Spoiler: Inventory & Status
    Items:
    - 3x Medicine (restores 50% of your HP)

Spells:
    ---

Abilities:
    [list][*]Example Ability [ 2 / 2 ] [ Active ] [ ?? AP ]
    Description
    [*]Example Ability [ Sustained ] [ ?? AP ]
    Description
    [*]Example Ability [ Passive ] [ ?? AP ]
    Description
Stats:
±0 Strength
±0 Dexterity
±0 Agility
+5 Fortitude
±0 Intellect
±0 Willpower
+5 Luck

Appearance:
[Insert description and/or picture][/spoiler][/list]
Last edited by Shade on Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Re: The AoD Game - .rust (Talk)

Post by Agent of Dread »

I feel so loved. :')
I pretty much have a character idea, so when I have a little more spare time I'll get stuff written up.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

• Seryn, Lv 1.00
    HP 16/16
    SP 20/20

(wep) Dmg | +5(+wep) Hit | 18 AC | 2.2 Act
    Stone wood-axe [2-8 Dmg, -1 Hit, x3 CrtDmg]
    Fur Cloak [02 AC]
Spoiler: Inventory & Stats
Items
- 3x Medicine (Restores 50% of your HP)
- 20x Carved Darts [2-4 Dmg, +2 Hit]

Spells
---

Abilities
[list][/list]

Stats
±0 Strength
+4 Dexterity
+4 Agility
-2 Fortitude
+2 Intellect
+2 Willpower
±0 Luck

Information
Seryn is young, and while few have bothered to keep track of weeks and months, she could be estimated to be about 15 years old.
She has not experienced the full force of the savagery of the world above ground, but she knows well the hardships and tribulations they pose. She is a gatherer for the settlement, often dispatched when extra wood or other scarce resources are required.
During her spare time, she fashions shards of white stone dug from the walls inside the cave of the settlement into sharpened throwing weapons. Her developed skill is deception; she wears the painted mask to attract less attention from the savage beasts of the world above. Rarely has she been seen to remove it since it has been donned; it is whispered that she is hiding brutal scars, but few think anything of it.
Still needs abilities and colour... also, if you can pick what I pilfered the mask design off you win 1.337 internets.
Last edited by Agent of Dread on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Agent of Dread wrote:Carved Darts [?-? Dmg, Crt at ??] [x20]
2-4 Dmg, +2 Hit
I also treat darts, throwing knives, etc. as regular inventory items, meaning that you don't need to equip them to attack with them.
Agent of Dread wrote:Stone wood-axe [?-? Dmg, -1 Hit, Crt at ??]
2-8 Dmg, -1 Hit, x3 CrtDmg
Agent of Dread wrote:also, if you can pick what I pilfered the mask design off you win 1.337 internets.
I swear Wilhelmina's mask in Shakugan no Shana looks very similar. Is it?
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Nope, that's not it. (I completely forgot about Wilhelmina, lol.)
Shade

Post by Shade »

Then I have no idea. I haven't played/seen/watched a lot of stuff with mask-wearing characters in them in a while.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

It doesn't really feature in the series, just the OP, so it's quite obscure. But you have seen it. :P
Shade

Post by Shade »

Ohhh, now I recall it. That's Rika's mask from the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni OP!
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

You got it. ;)
That reminds me, actually think of some abilities...
Shade

Post by Shade »

Thinking very hard about those abilities, eh
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

It's not as simple as it seems, my inspiration is deader than, well, dead. :I
Also, sidetrackededness.
Shade

Post by Shade »

In that case, why not draw that picture of Yumiko you were talking about ages ago
...in fact, group pics in general would be awesome for some of those PnPs
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Man, I get all excited by the idea of drawing a group shot but then I remember that it probably would never get done because of the way I go about things. :I
Hopefully it doesn't stop me from trying, though!
Shade

Post by Shade »

Any progress at all?
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »