[PnP] The Legend of lol: Retarded Dawn (Talk)

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

[PnP] The Legend of lol: Retarded Dawn (Talk)

Post by Shade »

Story:
Once upon a time, on a sunny day, the players (= you) were eating a cake. But suddenly, some really evil dude came and was, like, really evil. He was, in fact, evil enough to go ahead and take a slice of your cake without asking for permission! He and the cake disappeared in a puff of smoke, only to reappear in the evil dude's castle thousands of miles away (don't ask me how you knew that). Obviously, you are now pissed. An epic quest to rescue the abducted cake begins!

Rules:

Roleplaying
1. Each player may only have one character. Your characters can act independently from each other if you wish to. Even though this is a joke PnP, please only join if you fully intend to be active (that means, post more than like once every two days).
2. You can be whatever race you want.
3. Please write anything your character says in "". I also recommend giving your character a personal talking color; note that you can get any color you desire by specifying a hex value instead of an actual color. #E5B530, for example (the format is #RRGGBB), should give a yellowish/golden color to your text.
4. Since you will be having quite some code in each of your posts, I recommend copying that code by clicking "quote" at your last own post. Just remember to update any changed values and remove the "[quote]"-tags afterwards.
5. If you want to say anything out of character in the game thread, use olive as a color please. If all you want to do is to say something out of character, please do it in this thread, not in the game thread.
6. Whenever I post I'll add a status table that indicates the most important stats of your characters, like the current HP of each character and enemy (if there are any). The current time of day and the current weather are also shown.
7. When you're done talking and want me to move the game forward, make sure to post a clear action on what you're doing next (having your character say that he thinks about doing XYZ and having him actually do XYZ are two completely different things), or else it's possible that I don't recognize it as an actual action and nothing happens.

Character Stats
8. Every character's main stats are HP (Health Points), SP (Skill Points) and XP (Experience Points). SP are basically the same as the MP we all know and love, just under a more neutral name.
9. Advancing to the next level always takes 100 XP. After a level up your XP are reset to 0, though any leftover XP will be kept (e. g. reaching 108 XP would leave you with 8 XP after the level up). Gaining a level will allow you to learn a new skill/ability, increase your max HP and give you 4 additional points to distribute on your main stats.
10. Players may define the skills/spells/abilities they learn themselves; I won't interfere this time. You'll have to specify the basic Atk, Hit and Crt of any attacking skill or spell, kind of like if they were a weapon. It's up to you whether you want to stay reasonable with your abilities or make them completely broken. However, keep in mind that I'll scale the enemy strength roughly to your own - so if your abilities and stuff are completely broken, your enemies will be completely broken, too!
11. There is no gold or other currency in this game.
12. There is no item limit in this game.
13. You can start with whatever equipment and other items you want. As mentioned above, the stronger your equipment is, the stronger your enemies will be.
14. Each (player) character has the following stats, called "main stats":
POW: Each second point of POW increases your max HP by 1. Half your POW is added as damage to your physical attacks and may increase the damage of skills and spells. Every fifth point of POW increases your HP modifier for level ups by 1.
PER: Perception. Each point of PER adds 3 points to your Hit rate and 1 point to your Crt rate. Critical hits do [PER x10]% more damage than regular attacks.
AGI: Agility. Each point of AGI adds 3 points to your Avd. For each 5th point of AGI, you gain 0.5 extra actions. Half an action (0.5) is what was previously known as a minor action, while a full action (1.0) is what was previously known as a major action.
LUK: Luck. Each point of LUK adds 1 point to your Hit, Avd, Crt and For values and gives you 2% more resistance against status ailments.
CON: Constitution. Each point of CON raises your max HP by 1. Every fourth point of CON increases your HP modifier for level ups by 1.
SPI: Spirit. Each point of SPI raises your max SP by 1.
...this results in various sub stats:
Atk: [POW/2 + Weapon Atk] The basic amount of physical damage you're capable of dealing with a regular attack.
Hit: [PER x3 + LUK + Weapon/Skill Hit] Your basic chance to hit with a regular attack.
Crt: [PER + LUK + Weapon/Skill/Spell Crt] Your basic chance to score a critical hit. A critical hit deals [PER x10]% (but at the very least one point) more damage than usual.
Avd: [AGI x3 + LUK + Equipment Avd] Your chance to avoid an attack, no matter whether it's physical or magical. To put it simply, your Avd is subtracted from the Hit rate of anything that tries to attack you.
For: [LUK + Equipment For] Fortune. This stat is subtracted from the Crt rate of anything that tries to attack you.
Basic Max HP: [20 + (CON) + (POW/2)]
Basic Max MP: [SPI]
Actions: [1 + [AGI/10] Note that .5 actions can be used, though only as a minor action. Having a full action (1.0) won't let you do two minor actions, however; it just adds more possible uses for that action (attacking, mainly).
HP-Modifier: [(CON/4) + (POW/5)] The max HP increase upon a level up is determined by rolling a d6 and adding this stat to the result.
Resistance: [(LUK x2)%] Your chance to resist status ailments. If you get hit by an attack that inflicts status ailments and don't have a single point of luck, the infliction of the status ailment will always succeed.
15. During character creation you can distribute 50 points among your "main stats"; however, while those stats may be 0, none of them may exceed 15 at the beginning, and 50 after the game has started. You may distribute 4 more points to your stats after each level up.
You may also have up to 4 skills/spells/abilities at the beginning.

Combat
16. If a character's HP drop to 0, he/she is KO'd. Unconscious characters can't act anymore until the battle is over, at which point they regain consciousness (but remain at 0 HP, unable to fight). Your characters cannot die in combat unless the whole party is defeated.
17. You can choose between two possible positions for battles - front or cover. The front can be attacked by anything, but can also attack with anything itself. Covered characters take and inflict 50% less damage from/with melee attacks. Only ranged attacks, certain skills/spells and attacks that hit multiple characters will deal full damage. If no conscious character is standing at the front, however, melee attacks from either side will no longer receive a penalty. If you're attacked from behind, your front and cover will be reversed.
18. If it looks like you're about to lose a battle, you might want to try to escape instead of waiting until you're defeated. Usually, if you try to escape and there aren't any obstacles in your way, you will succeed. However, if you escape, any party members not capable of moving (e. g. because of being unconscious) will be left behind (carrying them would slow you down too much). Usually, this means that they'll be captured. If you're unlucky, it might also mean their death, however.
19. Be creative. There are many ways to defeat your enemies, and not all of them necessarily involve defeating them yourself or even reducing their HP to 0 at all.
20. In a battle, whenever a turn passes in which a player hasn't posted (and the other players haven't chosen what that character should do either), his character will simply attack the first enemy on the list with a simple normal attack if he can hit an enemy from where he's standing.
If you don't want that to happen, simply add a "Script" tag in your charater's profile (in the spoiler) that tells me what your character should do in which situation. This can be as detailed as you want; if you want, you can even make a whole universal strategy to be used when you're absent, and I will make your character act accordingly to it (unless something happens which isn't covered in your script, in which case your character will resort to doing either normal attacks or nothing).
21. If you don't want to wait for the other players to post in a battle (for example if it just drags on and seemingly takes forever), you can just post a bolded End Turn in the game thread. You can then also give orders to the characters that haven't posted yet, if you want to, kind of like in an actual RPG game. Any characters that do not receive orders and have not posted yet at that point will resort to their script. If you ever actually want a character to do nothing, state so.
22. I may automatically end the current turn in a battle if some players haven't posted their actions after around 24 hours.

Misc.
23. If your character for some reason has no weapon (equipped), add one named "Unarmed" (or something similar) that has 1-3 Atk, 70 Hit and 0 Crt.
24. Here's a list of various more common status ailments that you might encounter:
Poison (x%): Every time you act while poisoned, you take damage equal to x% of your max. HP. If you get poisoned again while already being poisoned, the poison will become stronger.
Cursed: Any HP or MP recovery your character receives is nullified.
Stunned: You can't act while being in this status, but you can still move (no penalty to Avd). Usually only lasts a single turn, though there may be exceptions.
Paralyzed (x): You cannot do anything at all (not even move) while being in this status, which also means that your Avd drops to 0. Will automatically be removed after x turns.
Dizzy (x): Your base Hit rate is reduced by 25% for the duration of this status ailment. This also applies to skills/spells. Will automatically be removed after x turns.
Dazzled (x): Your base Hit rate is halved for the duration of this status ailment. This also applies to skills/spells. Will automatically be removed after x turns.
25. When using ranged weapons, the stats of both the weapon itself and the ammo are added together for calculation purposes.

Each post should have the character's status table on top, looking similar to the example below (though you're very welcome to apply your own style and eye-candy). You may also add a hidden avatar and other fancy stuff if you want, but that's not a requirement.
  • Dr. Example, Lv01 [00] (Front)
    30/30 HP
    03/03 SP
    05-11 Atk | 127 Hit | 21 Crt
    ................59 Avd | 13 For
    Pointy Stick (2 - 8 Atk, 80 Hit, 5 Crt)
    King K. Rool Costume (15 Avd, 5 For)
    Spoiler: Inventory & Status
    Items:
    - Lotsa stuff

Skills:
    Banhammer
    [Base: 50 Hit]
    [Curr: 97 Hit]
    Bans the target upon a hit, removing it from the game.

Spells:
    ---

Abilities:
    - "I Win"-Button
    Dr. Example instantly wins the game and therefore does not need to participate.

Stats:
    07 POW
    13 PER
    12 AGI
    08 LUK
    07 CON
    03 SPI

Story:
    Insert your very interesting story here!

Misc.:
    HP-Mod.: .... +2
    Crt-Dmg: ..... +130%
    Actions: ...... 2.0
    Resistance: .. 16%

Go wild. :wink:
Last edited by Shade on Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Re: [PnP] The Legend of lol: Retarded Dawn

Post by Cimeries »

Gunter Madfury, Lv1 [00] RageMage [Front]
Image 37/37 Image 08/08
10-12 Atk | 96 Hit | 13 Crt
...............49 Avd | 09 For
Barbarian Knuckledusters (3 - 5 Atk, 80 Hit, 5 Crt)
Bear Hide (15 Avd, 5 For)
Spoiler: Inventory & Status
Items:
- No stuff

Skills:
Screaming Frenzy [4 MP]
Gunter begins shouting really loud in anger and rage, and being the striking personality that he is, his party members join him. This naturally makes them all quite irate, causing them to hit harder. The entire party gains +[SPI/3] Atk and deals maximum damage on all their rolls for the next 3 turns. Initiating a shout is a minor action.

Spells:
Magic Missile... Fist! [1 MP Per missile]
[Atk: 10-12 + 8] [Missiles: 1]
Pretty much your good olde magic missile spell, except Gunter gets personal with his own version by actually smacking the missiles into his victim with his own f*****g hands (thus, it's a melee attack unarmed/with a fist weapon, using his current Hit, Atk, and Crt).
Maximum amount of missiles is equal to Gunter's level, and each does standard unarmed damage + Gunter's SPI.
Gunter can choose to actually launch the missiles themselves as a ranged attack if he feels like a sissy, but then they only do SPI damage.

Abilities:
MageRage
Whenever Gunter is hit, or scores a hit in plain melee combat, he gains 1 mana.

Stats:
14 POW
04 PER
10 AGI
04 LUK
10 CON
08 SPI

Story:
"WRrrrRRAaaAHHhHHH!!!!! GUNTER SMASH ALL WITH MIGHTY MAGIC!!!!!"
In the frigid northerlands born and raised /
In the killing fields is where he spent most of his days.
Chillin' out maxin', relaxing all cool /
And pillaging villages, when in the mood.

Then one evil guy, who was up to no good /
Started stealing cake in his neighboorhood.
Gunter got up, grabbed his arcane berserker mass /
And went down to the Evil Dude's castle, to kick his ass.

Misc.:
HP-Mod.: .... +4
Crt-Dmg: ..... 140%
Actions: ...... 2.0
Resistance: .. 08%
:D
(This is not actually the special character I was talking about earlier, but the premise is somewhat similar.)
:wink:
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

Initially I wanted to come up with a character who has nothing but a single attack ability for maximum AP. But since there are no AP at all, that's kinda boring. So...
[color=#insertcolordwordhere]Steve[/color], Lv1 [0] Dude [Between Front and Cover]
Atk | Hit | Crt
Def | Avd
Sword-chucks ( Atk, Hit, h)
( Def, Avd)

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Spoiler: Stuff, stuff and stuff
Items
72 Moneys (There is no gold or other currency in this game.)
Pokeball (When thrown, it pokes an enemy. 15-25 Atk+Paralysis, 100 Hit, 0 Crt, returns to Steve if it misses)

Skills
Take a Potato Chip [0 SP]
And [dramatically] eat it!
Munchkin Reboot [10 SP]
Freely redistributes all stat points except SPI. He then loses half of his HP.

Spells
Curse of Ashguine [2 SP]
Is really awful. After all, it's an iron pipe sticking out from the victim's crotch.
The trilobites are surprising as well. [ Atk, Hit, Crt]
Zalgo [0\1 SP]
Anything the victim says is completely garbled for ? turns. Can be used as a minor action [1 SP] or as a major action [0 SP].
Einbozzle [2147483647 SP] (power of two minus one ftw)
You don't know what it does, and believe me, you don't want to.

Abilities
Dude
If he wishes so, dude, the first enemy who addresses him with "dude" instantly dies.
Ridiculous
If he deals 11 damage (or any ) to an enemy, another 11 points of Itsridiculousitsnotevenfunny damage are added.
One Steve Limit
No one else called Steve can exist in this game.

Stats
POW 10
PER 5
AGI 10
LUK 5
CON 5
SPI 15
CHA 0 (dump stat.)

Secondary Stats
Atk | Hit | Crt
For | Avd
HP Mod
Crt damage
Actions
Resistance

Story

Script
[code]func CombatActivity() {
if(EnoughMP(Einbozzling))
return Einbozzle(GetMostAnnoyingEnemy());
if(EnoughMP(Ashguine) && (!Random(2) || GetHP()<GetMaxHP()/2))
return CurseOfAshguine(GetAnyEnemy());
return Attack(GetAnyEnemy());
while(true);
}

func EnoughMP(activity) {
if(GetMP(this) > GetRequiredMP(activity))
return true;
return false;
}[/code]

Battles: 000
Kills: 000
11s: 000
[color=#insertcolordwordhere][/color]

[obviously incomplete]

Unlike LoD, this looks like something I can play casually, which means that I can easily manage to be active.
Last edited by octagon on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Ooh, no AP? That feels dirty.
Shade

Post by Shade »

@Cime: Very nice character! :D

And yeah, there are no AP this time. Since I'm not supposed to balance your abilities and skills this time, there's no need for them. :wink:
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

AoD, level 1 Moderator

1 HP
1 MP
0 XP

Skills
Win: Wins the game.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Dude (sic), you're not a mod anymore, get over yourself.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Oooh yeah. Funny that...
Shade

Post by Shade »

Agent of Dread wrote:1 HP
1 MP
You cannot have less than 20 HP even if you have 0 POW and 0 CON. Please distribute your stats correctly. :teach:
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I'll write a real character at some point in the near-ish future.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Aliesha, level 1 [00] Woobie [Front]
??/?? HP, ??/?? SP
?? Atk | ?? Hit | ?? Crt
?? Avd | ?? For
Staff of Sympathy
Huggable Cloak
Spoiler: Inventory and blah
Items:
-

Skills:
Power of love (

Abilities:
Woobie-ness - Aliesha needs to keep up her Woobie image, and thus, a 50% bias is placed on all enemies to attack her. However, she takes 5 less damage from all attacks.
Incomplete. I'm tired.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Ready or not, I'll start this tomorrow. I will include your characters into the game even if they're incomplete, but do try to get them finished soon.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I think I might have to pull out of this PnP, at least for now. I don't have the time to actually devote thought to fixing up characters and making something slightly intellegent at the moment. Sorry, dudes.
Shade

Post by Shade »

So, then... ...just two players again? Great.
octagon

Re: [PnP] The Legend of lol: Retarded Dawn (Talk)

Post by octagon »

I want to make a new character. Even for the standards of this PnP, he is too lame. I got a much better idea...
Igor Pnostat, Lv1 [0] Protagonist [Between Front and Cover] [0 XP]
7-9 Atk | 128 Hit | 23 Crt
58 Avd | 8 For
Uselessly Ornated Hero Sword (4-6 Atk, 90 Hit, 5 Crt, 2h)
Plot Armour (20 Avd, 5 For)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Spoiler: Character sheet
Items
2 Moneys (There is no gold or other currency in this game.)
Maximilian's Life Seal (a square token with a strange pattern on it.)
5x Tin Dust (heals 5 HP for the entire party)

Skills
Foe Tossing Charge [1 SP]
Surprisingly overruns an enemy, knocking them down. They need a full action to stand up. Mimiga like to do this. This can be used on [Lvl] additional enemies, but doing so reduces the hit chance by 10 per enemy. [Atk = max Atk of an ornated sword attack, Hit of an ornated sword attack+20, 0 Crt]

Spells
Fire Fireball Ball [2 SP]
Launches a fiery fireball consisting of [2*Level] tiny fireballs. If it hits, it explodes into the sub-fireballs, which fly towards random enemies. If no sub-balls miss, the main fireball has hit critically.
Fireball ball: [SPI/2 to SPI Atk , 90+3*PER Hit, 0 Crt]
Sub fireballs: [SPI/6 Atk , 80+2*PER Hit, 0 Crt]

Ultimate Enormous Epic Absolute Knight Power Break Limit Crisis Nova Kinetic Geo Tectonic Tremor Quake [6 SP] [EPIC WIN]
Looking ridiculously determined, Igor spins his sword over his head for five minutes of attack cutscene time, surrounded by shiny swirling particle effects. Then he leaps into the sky, pounds his feet into the ground with such power that normally his toes would break, and slams his blade into the ground. Deals 2SPI+POW damage to all enemies. The overly long attack animation has a [2*SPI]% chance of making enemies fall asleep due to boredom for 3 turns. (like paralysis, but has a 50% chance to be removed on hit)

Einbozzle [65535 SP] (power of two minus one ftw)
You don't know what it does, and believe me, you don't want to.
Too epic to count into the amount of abilities. Only of plot-wise importance.

Abilities
Heroic Second Wind
Once per battle, when he either takes a critical hit or his HP fall below 25%, he can trigger Epic Win Mode, healing half of his HP and allowing special [EPIC WIN]moves for 3 turns.

Stats
POW 6
PER 10
AGI 10
LUK 8
CON 4
SPI 12

Secondary Stats
4 Atk | 38 Hit | 18 Crt
38 Avd | 5 For
HP Mod 2
Crt damage +100%
2.0 Actions
16% Resistance

Story
Igor Pnostat is an average representant of all orphans who grew up as farm boys (which means that he is chosen by fate). As it is to be expected, one day the strange old storyteller of his village told him: "MAH BOI, you are chosen. Mystical powers rest in you. So go and kick evil's ass. Dinner."
Soon after, as expected, evil forces of evil burned down the village and he had to flee with the storyteller, who was killed in a cutscene and in the minute of his death revealed to have been a Protagonist as well. He handed Igor his magical mighty plot sword and taught him the power of Einbozzling, which sadly costs too many SP to ever be used.
Igor also is the descendant of an ancient hero, at least, a mysterious woman told him so and gave him a thing known as Maximilian's Life Seal.
He is quite stupid and naive, but also angsty and sometimes badass - a typical Protagonist personality. He is not actually a hero, but he thinks that the whole world would exist for him.
His age is somewhere between ten and twenty years. He wields an ancient and beautiful, but not too effective sword which is adorned with ornaments, runes and gems and looks like it would be incredibly important, plot-wise. He wears normal clothes, because the armour of plot protects him well enough.
For him, retrieving the cake is only a sidequest, but he hopes to (aside from eating delicious cake) learn a bit of backstory and to recruit a few characters into his party here, to hopefully get the best ending.

Script
[code]func CombatActivity() {
if(EnoughSP(Einbozzling))
return Einbozzle(GetMostAnnoyingEnemy());
if(EpicWinMode && EnoughSP(GeoAttack))
return GeoAttack();
if(EnoughSP(Charge) && (!Random(3) || GetHP()<GetMaxHP()/2))
return FoeTossingCharge(GetAnyEnemy());
if(EnoughSP(Fireball) && (!Random(3) || GetHP()<GetMaxHP()/2))
return Fireball(GetAnyEnemy());
return Attack(GetAnyEnemy());
while(true);
}

func EnoughSP(activity) {
if(GetMP(this) > GetRequiredMP(activity))
return true;
return false;
}[/code]

Battles: 000
Kills: 000
Epic Wins used: 000
I'm sorry for changing my character when the game has technically already begun, but Steve sucked too much compared to Gunther and Aliesha. Is it okay if I use this guy?
Inspired by this. The backstory takes elements from the deliberately bad beginning of Last Scenario, as well as from a certain very cliched, albeit sometimes not-too-badly-written book series.
Last edited by octagon on Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.