[PnP] Legacy of Darkness (Talk)

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

Why is everyone obsessed with taking abilities that give them infinite MP? It kinda defeats the point of having limited MP in the first place.
octagon wrote:Channel [0 MP]
Minor action. [5*SPI] chance of restoring 1 MP.
195 AP.
octagon wrote:Also, how many AP would you charge if I increase the maximal amount of missiles by 1?
75 AP extra, for a total of 170.
octagon wrote:(Un?)interesting fact: His appearance is a combination of two characters from Exit Fate and one from Last Scenario. Two are amnesiacs and one ...possibly does not even exist.
I've played neither, so that isn't of much use to me.
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

Shade wrote:Why is everyone obsessed with taking abilities that give them infinite MP? It kinda defeats the point of having limited MP in the first place.
I feared running out of MP, which renders me helpless as a mage... Though if I think about it, Arcane Force already enables me to spam single Magic Missiles if I am low on MP, which is way better than nothing.
Shade wrote:I've played neither, so that isn't of much use to me.
I expected that, which was the primary reason for the "(un?)". Though I posted it in the first place because a friend of mine instantly assumed that Death Note would be the primary inspiration for this guy.

Anyway [does every single post I ever wrote contain that frickin word, by the way? :o], #3 is ready.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

Ell, the elven Bard
Level 1 [00] - Front
20/20 HP
15/15 MP
2-4 Atk | 112 Hit | 07 Crt
43 Avd | 07 CEv

Weapon: Unarmed [1-3 Atk | 70 Hit | 0 Crt]
Armour: Long cloak [15 Avd | 5 CEv]
Special: Hal's Tear [+5 Max MP]
Inventory (0/77)
-

Notes
Death Note - Damages up to two random enemies for 8 HP. Has a 90% chance of inflicting the effect.
Life Note - Heals up to two random friendlies for 8 HP.
Low Note - Dispirits the enemy - reduces two random enemies' Hit and Avd by 10. Has a 90% chance of success.
Cacophony - A terribly out-of-tune note which will redirect enemies' attacks to Ell for a single turn.

Skills
Chord - Ell plays three notes on an instrument, with magic in each one. Causes the effect of each note played, stacking if necessary.
Strum - Ell strums a string instrument, playing all six strings and thus, six notes, with magic infused in each. Causes the effect of each note played, stacking if necessary.

Stats
POW: 3
SKL: 10
AGI: 6
LUK: 2
CON: 4
SPI: 10

Story
Ell was born in 13 A.Z, and raised among her family quite exclusively. Homeschooled, trained to sing and play music. However, there was little reason for song in her life at any point - it was heard among her village that she had never smiled once in her life. She made a living off of her music, but never really found a purpose. It was something she could do, and that was it. She searches the Earth and her soul for something missing - taken from her at a very young age. Her happiness.

Other
500 AP
She's a work in progress thus far. She'll require a musical instrument of some sort, preferably a guitar/lyre.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Shade

Post by Shade »

Agent of Dread wrote:Death Note - Damages up to two random enemies for 8 HP. Has a 90% chance of inflicting the effect.
1 MP, 75 AP.
Agent of Dread wrote:Life Note - Heals up to two random friendlies for 8 HP.
1 MP, 55 AP.
Agent of Dread wrote:Low Note - Dispirits the enemy - reduces two random enemies' Hit and Avd by 10. Has a 90% chance of success.
You need to specify how long this effect lasts, as the current description implies that the duration is infinite.
Assuming that it lasts 3 turns (including the turn it is invoked): 2 MP, 80 AP.
Agent of Dread wrote:Cacophony - A terribly out-of-tune note which will redirect enemies' attacks to Ell for a single turn.
Note that if enemies have no attacks capable of reaching you (if you happen to be standing in the cover row), they have no choice but to ignore this effect.
Also, am I right in assuming that this targets all enemies at once?
2 MP, 70 AP.
Agent of Dread wrote:Chord - Ell plays three notes on an instrument, with magic in each one. Causes the effect of each note played, stacking if necessary.
3 MP (+ the MP cost of all notes played), 130 AP.
Agent of Dread wrote:Strum - Ell strums a string instrument, playing all six strings and thus, six notes, with magic infused in each. Causes the effect of each note played, stacking if necessary.
7 MP (+ the MP cost of all notes played), 250 AP.
Agent of Dread wrote:She'll require a musical instrument of some sort, preferably a guitar/lyre.
Sure, that can be arranged.

Also, no equipment for you either. That means no easy +5 max MP for you.

I also want to use this opportunity to remind Cimeries of posting.
Ditto
Jungle Warrior (Committed contributor)

Post by Ditto »

Interesting character, I've had ideas like this myself.

A suggestion- it seems like you're trying to make a character that can use a lot of spells at once, so why not give yourself a larger mana pool (say, x3 or x5) and make individual spells have around a third or a fifth the power of a normal spell? (I'm sure clonks would be reasonable about it, x3 or x5 the mana doesn't give you anything extra if mana is worth less.) That way, you could achieve the multiple spell effect without it draining all your mana in one strum or a few chords.
"It only hurts when my squad won't f***ing heal me."

http://guildedage.net/
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Ell, the elven Bard
Level 1 [00] - Front
20/20 HP
15/15 MP
43 Avd | 07 CEv

Armour: Long cloak [15 Avd | 5 CEv]
Inventory (0/77)
-

Notes
Death Note [1MP] - Damages up to two random enemies for 8 HP. Has a 90% chance of inflicting the effect. 75 AP
Life Note [1MP] - Heals up to two random friendlies for 8 HP. 55 AP
Low Note [2MP] - Dispirits the enemy; reduces two random enemies' Hit and Avd by 10. Lasts two turns. Has a 90% chance of success. 80 AP
Cacophony [2MP] - A terribly out-of-tune note which will redirect enemies' attacks to Ell for a single turn. Targets all enemies at once, if an enemy is unable to attack Ell (for example, if she is in Cover) they ignore the effect. 70 AP

Skills
Chord [3MP + Notes MP] - Ell plays three notes on an instrument, with magic in each one. Causes the effect of each note played, stacking if necessary. 130 AP

Stats

Story
Ell was born in 13 A.Z, and raised among her family quite exclusively. Homeschooled, trained to sing and play music. However, there was little reason for song in her life at any point - it was heard among her village that she had never smiled once in her life. She made a living off of her music, but never really found a purpose. It was something she could do, and that was it. She searches the Earth and her soul for something missing - taken from her at a very young age. Her happiness.

Other
80 AP
Okay, I fixed costs on everything, but I do like Ditto's idea. Would I be able to negotiate for my MP total to be tripled, but to divide the power of all my notes by three?
Shade

Post by Shade »

Bleh.
For neutral AP cost:

x2 max MP: Halves the effect and duration of all of your notes, skills and spells, rounded down.
x3 max MP: Reduces the effect and duration of all your notes, skills and spells to 25%, rounded down.
x4 max MP: Reduces the effect and duration of all your notes, skills and spells to 10%, rounded down.
x5 max MP: Reduces the effect and duration of all your notes, skills and spells to 1%, rounded down.

And "no equipment" means no equipment. Not even a cloak. :teach:
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Bleh? I do want to be able to USE my character's skills.

Anyway, so I can pay AP to get x3 with but a third of the effect, as opposed to a quarter?
Shade

Post by Shade »

Agent of Dread wrote:Bleh? I do want to be able to USE my character's skills.
Meh.
Okay, I'm at fault here, I guess. If I only allow up to 10 MP for a character, I guess something like this should still work.

Chord - Ell plays three notes on an instrument, with magic in each one. Causes the effect of each note played, stacking if necessary.
---> 1 MP (+ Half the total MP cost of all notes played, rounded up). 130 AP still.

Strum - Ell strums a string instrument, playing all six strings and thus, six notes, with magic infused in each. Causes the effect of each note played, stacking if necessary.
---> 3 MP (+ Half the total MP cost of all notes played, rounded up). 200 AP.
Agent of Dread wrote:Anyway, so I can pay AP to get x3 with but a third of the effect, as opposed to a quarter?
Yes, 30 AP will be sufficient.
octagon

Post by octagon »

This is the best idea of a Bard class ever! /me approves.

Can you play the same note multiple times with a single Chord use?

By the way, it would be nice as well if certain note combinations (accords) would cause a special combo effect.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

[quote="Agent of Dread"]Image
Ell, the elven Bard
Level 1 [00] - Front
20/20 HP
10/10 MP
28 Avd | 02 CEv

Armour: Nothing
Inventory (0/77)
-

Notes
Death Note [1MP] - Damages up to two random enemies for 8 HP. Has a 90% chance of inflicting the effect. 75 AP
Life Note [1MP] - Heals up to two random friendlies for 8 HP. 55 AP
Low Note [2MP] - Dispirits the enemy; reduces two random enemies' Hit and Avd by 10. Lasts two turns. Has a 90% chance of success. 80 AP
Cacophony [2MP] - A terribly out-of-tune note which will redirect enemies' attacks to Ell for a single turn. Targets all enemies at once, if an enemy is unable to attack Ell (for example, if she is in Cover) they ignore the effect. 70 AP

Skills
Chord [1MP + Notes/2 MP] - Ell plays three notes on an instrument, with magic in each one. Causes the effect of each note played, stacking if necessary. 130 AP

Stats

Story

Other
80 AP
@Clonk: Alright. I'll leave the costs and stuff at 1x. Thanks for clearing it all up.

@Octagon: I was thinking of such a thing, but I wanted to wait until I had more notes.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Sorry for the delay; Elona is way too addicting. :)
I'll go write the next post now and introduce AoD's and octagon's characters into the game.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I was gonna ask, but okay, sweet. :)
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

C'mon, guys, post. I want to get on with this stuff.

Also, at Clonks (yes, that's still your name,) will I ever be allowed to take permanent upgrade skills? I was thinking of taking...

-Gift of Wisdom-
Amnesia has created holes in Tal's knowledge and wisdom that may never be able to be filled again. However, while he may not be able to reclaim this for himself, he can share the remnants of it with those that he wishes to defend or protect. Every time Tal levels up, he can contribute one additional stat point to a random party member other than himself. Tal may not do this on the same ally two levels in a row.

...but if I can't do permanent upgrades, then I'll have to think of other stuff to do.
"It only hurts when my squad won't f***ing heal me."

http://guildedage.net/
Shade

Post by Shade »

Ditto wrote:Also, at Clonks (yes, that's still your name,) will I ever be allowed to take permanent upgrade skills?
I'm afraid I'll have to say "no". While I don't mind the idea itself all that much, most kinds of permament upgrades would interfere with the balance of my ruleset more than I'm comfortable with.
That's the thing - my rulesets themselves are getting better and better (...at least I think they do), but with more and more of the details being tweaked, abilities like this one can more easily destroy the careful balance I've set up (though in retrospect, I kinda messed up the balance in HP. I should've adopted Cimeries' changes to the HP increase upon level up and have halved the amount of additional HP received). I'm sorry for that. Maybe if I ever do another PnP, I should try a less restricted ruleset again.