[PnP] Legacy of Darkness (Talk)

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Re: [PnP] Legacy of Darkness (Talk)

Post by Shade »

Cimeries wrote:Fair enough. I think I even prefer it this way.
Clonks wrote:
Cimeries wrote:Repair
With an MP cost of 1, that will be 85 AP.
And without the MP cost? I originally intended it to have a limited amount of uses that recharge after battles. It's essentially the same, except that now the rate of recovery depends on what I fight and your own judgment. Also remember that scrap metal has weight, so I can't carry as many as I'd like around. Sort of a self imposed use limit. :P
If that's still too much, what if I couldn't carry more than 10/8/5 at once?
Well, MP essentially are limited uses that may recharge after battles. :P
And the item requirement is fine, don't worry about that.
125 AP without any MP cost.
100 AP if it is limited to 2 uses that replenish after each battle and don't apply outside of battle.
Cimeries wrote:Oh, as for Juggernaut, I thought of a way to make it easier for you to manage: You can just add (-1)/(-2)/(-3) next to the weapon's name so that we know how much damage it took.
I actually planned to do that. ^^

Oh, yeah, your remaining stats. You've got 28 Avd and 5 CEv then.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Hmm. I think I'll just take the 1 MP variety and cut if off when I level up. Done I guess.
:wink:
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Hurry up and lets see some PCs you vankers.
Ditto
Jungle Warrior (Committed contributor)

Post by Ditto »

Need a lil' more adjustment time, then posty.
"It only hurts when my squad won't f***ing heal me."

http://guildedage.net/
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

Tal, Lvl 1 Half-D'warf-Elf Priest [0/100] (Front)
Image 20/20
Image 10/10
Image 0/65
-Nova: 1/1-
Weapon: Unarmed (1-3 Atk, 70 Hit, 0 Crt, 0 Wt)
Armor: Unarmored (0 Avd, 0 CEv, 0 Wt)
1-3 Atk | 80 Hit | 10 Crt
50 Avd | 10 CEv
Spoiler: Inventory and Status
Items (0/65):
-Empty

Abilities:
-Aura Wave [(1+# of charges) Mana]-
Tal calls upon the power of the light to heal his allies. When used, this spell releases up to [1+Lvl] charges of healing, each charge healing for 10 HP and one negative status effect. The spell costs one minimum mana and consumes one more for each charge of healing.

-Vindication [2 Mana]-
Tal places a pattern of divine runes of vindication on the target's skin. The next time they are attacked or attack, the enemy takes [Lvl] damage, and the ally is healed for [Lvl] health. The mark then jumps to a random target (this can retarget the original target), and continues to jump until the end of the battle or [5+Lvl] jumps. The excess healing for the mark is redirected into the total for Godly Blessing at the end of each battle.

-Retribution [2 Mana]-
Tal places a pattern of divine runes of retribution on the target's skin. Any time the target attacks or is attacked, the ally attacking or being attacked is healed for [Lvl] health, and the enemy takes [Lvl] damage. This lasts for [5+Lvl] times, or until the end of the battle. The excess healing for the mark is redirected into the total for Godly Blessing at the end of each battle.

-Grace of Light [1 Mana]-
Tal blesses the target with grace and swiftness, granting them an extra major action at the cost of a/both his minor actions. This spell can only be cast once a turn.

-Divine Dodge [1 Mana]-
In a burst of divine energy, Tal increases his agility, allowing him to move faster than normally possible. When used, Tal gains speed for a short while. This multiplies his avoid by 1.5 for the rest of the turn, and can be used for other effects as well. This spell can only be cast once a turn, and uses a minor action.

-Godly Blessing [1 Mana]-
Tal gathers up all the radiant energy of healing around him and prays for Thor and Elbereth's blessing in a battle. Whenever Tal uses this skill, all of the radiance effect on any of his allies is converted into an absorption shield, absorbing an amount of damage done to his party equal to the radiance consumed. This spell is cast automatically with any extra radiance at the end of a battle.

-Nova [1/1, 3 Mana]-
Tal pulls light energy to himself to the point where it cannot compress any longer and explodes, sending all of his allies and all of his enemies into the cover row. This spell can only be used while in the front row. In addition, this spell makes all of his allies dizzy and dazzles all of his enemies. This spell can only be used once before it must be refreshed by resting.

Abilities:
-Radiance-
Any leftover healing from a healing spell cast by Tal will remain on the target as the status effect "radiance." At the start of each turn, the target will be healed for [Lvl]. This effect lasts until the healing runs out. Radiance continues to stack and will refresh itself even if it exists, but healing spells cannot be cast directly on targets at full health. At the end of each battle, this healing will consume more than [Lvl] HP and fully heal the targets or fully consume the radiance. Any excess radiance is converted into the total for Godly Blessing at the end of a battle.

Stats:
Strength: 0
Skill: 0
Agility: 10
Luck: 10
Constitution: 5
Spirit: 10

Info:
Ability Points: 500

Description:
A figure stands below you, around a foot or two shorter than the average young man's height. Garbed in a short yet thick white robe, with black boots and brown pants that streak out from beneath it, is a man that appears to be a mix of a rather short elf and d'warf. With a finely groomed fiery orange beard and hair tied together into complex patterns by gold rings, the man's thick eyebrows and confident expression give him a somewhat regal look. Behind the thick hair, beard, and eyebrows is an angular face and long ears. A golden band is around the man's forehead. The man's eyes are completely bright gold, and he has no pupils- the light from them shines nearly an inch out from his face. While this might seem unnatural or inhuman on one man, the light is not frightening but welcoming, a sign of the vast amount of good contained within this short man. Maybe he has more power than he has control over. The man stands tall and broad for his short figure. He doesn't seem young, even by d'warf standards, but the lack of grey hairs on his head would suggest he isn't old, either.
Last edited by Ditto on Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Yay for ridiculously complicated character mechanics! :D
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

*high fives Cimey*

Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Also since Tal is pretty small and Heron is pretty big, we could have Tal riding on Heron's shoulder a-la the Big daddies and little sisters in Bioshock.
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

Cimeries wrote:Also since Tal is pretty small and Heron is pretty big, we could have Tal riding on Heron's shoulder a-la the Big daddies and little sisters in Bioshock.
That would be both strange and awesome.

Maybe a little more awesome.

Definitely a lot more awesome.

Shade

Post by Shade »

That's... ...uh... ...a crapload of healing you've got there. xD
Ditto wrote:-Aura Wave [(1+# of charges) Mana]-
Tal calls upon the power of the light to heal his allies. When used, this spell releases up to [1+Lvl] charges of healing, each charge healing for 10 HP and one negative status effect. The spell costs one minimum mana and consumes one more for each charge of healing.
So 2 MP for 1 target, 3 MP for 2 targets or double effect on one, 4 MP for 3 targets etc.?
That's difficult to judge, to be honest.
I think I'll go with 160 AP for your version.
130 AP if one charge can only heal either 10 HP or a status ailment, but not both at once.
85 AP if you completely remove the healing of status ailments.
Ditto wrote:-Vindication [2 Mana]-
Tal places a pattern of divine runes of vindication on the target's skin. The next time they are attacked or attack, the enemy takes [Lvl] damage, and the ally is healed for [Lvl] health. The mark then jumps to a random target (this can retarget the original target), and continues to jump until the end of the battle or [5+Lvl] jumps. The excess healing for the mark is redirected into the total for Godly Blessing at the end of each battle.
I'd prefer you not to take this skill, as the constant random jumping between combatants (which can actually happen multiple times in a single turn) makes this a total pain in the ass to calculate, and Retribution is pretty much a carbon copy of this, just without the random reapplyment.
Ditto wrote:-Retribution [2 Mana]-
Tal places a pattern of divine runes of retribution on the target's skin. Any time the target attacks or is attacked, the ally attacking or being attacked is healed for [Lvl] health, and the enemy takes [Lvl] damage. This lasts for [5+Lvl] times, or until the end of the battle. The excess healing for the mark is redirected into the total for Godly Blessing at the end of each battle.
Make that 3 MP.
110 AP.
Ditto wrote:-Grace of Light [1 Mana]-
Tal blesses the target with grace and swiftness, granting them an extra major action at the cost of a/both his minor actions. This spell can only be cast once a turn.
So the target can then do two major actions, but no minor ones in addition to those?
Or does the minor action thing apply to yourself?
140 AP in either case.
Ditto wrote:-Divine Dodge [1 Mana]-
In a burst of divine energy, Tal increases his agility, allowing him to move faster than normally possible. When used, Tal gains speed for a short while. This multiplies his avoid by 1.5 for the rest of the turn, and can be used for other effects as well. This spell can only be cast once a turn, and uses a minor action.
65 AP.
Ditto wrote:-Godly Blessing [1 Mana]-
Tal gathers up all the radiant energy of healing around him and prays for Thor and Elbereth's blessing in a battle. Whenever Tal uses this skill, all of the radiance effect on any of his allies is converted into an absorption shield, absorbing an amount of damage done to his party equal to the radiance consumed. This spell is cast automatically with any extra radiance at the end of a battle.
I'm getting the impression that you're completely obsessed with barriers of this kind. All of your healers seem to have some variation of this.
Also note that after some time has passed (in other words, when you rest), any barriers still active will disintegrate.
125 AP.
Ditto wrote:-Nova [1/1, 3 Mana]-
Tal pulls light energy to himself to the point where it cannot compress any longer and explodes, sending all of his allies and all of his enemies into the cover row. This spell can only be used while in the front row. In addition, this spell makes all of his allies dizzy and dazzles all of his enemies. This spell can only be used once before it must be refreshed by resting.
How long do the status ailments inflicted by this spell last? Do they have a 100% chance to be inflicted?
120 AP for 3 turns and a 50% chance of status ailments.
Ditto wrote:-Radiance-
Any leftover healing from a healing spell cast by Tal will remain on the target as the status effect "radiance." At the start of each turn, the target will be healed for [Lvl]. This effect lasts until the healing runs out. Radiance continues to stack and will refresh itself even if it exists, but healing spells cannot be cast directly on targets at full health. At the end of each battle, this healing will consume more than [Lvl] HP and fully heal the targets or fully consume the radiance. Any excess radiance is converted into the total for Godly Blessing at the end of a battle.
185 AP.
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

Aura Wave: Actually, I think I might rework this, since this is going to reach crazy mana levels if I keep it how it is. So, I'll make it complicated all over again.
-Aura Wave [Up to 3 Mana]-
Tal calls upon the power of the light to heal his allies. When used, this spell releases a wave charges of healing up to a maximum of [1+Lvl] charges. Each charge heals for [10+Lvl] HP or one negative status effect other than petrification. One mana is spent for each charge, capping at three mana.

Vindication and Retribution: Well, Vindication was intended to not be a carbon copy also because Retribution was only going to be usable on enemies and vindication was only going to be usable on allies (although I forgot to mention that,) but if retribution works on allies or enemies, I'll just take one. How about if I add one base damage/healing?

Grace of Light: The minor action thing only applies to me.

Divine Dodge: Awesome. What if this spell jumps up to 2x avoid or only has a 50% of consuming mana?

Godly Blessing: It gives my healers flavor. I don't see anyone else using them. Besides, why just heal off damage when you can stop it too?

Nova: Actually, I think I'll just drop this spell. I don't want poor Tal getting beat up in the front row in any situation when mister composite plating can do it for me.

Radiance: Excellent. Actually, what if I just direct excess healing directly into a total for godly blessing instead of excess healing turning into radiance? How much is that as opposed to radiance? I get the feeling that might be somewhat easier to manage, too (assuming there'd be a total for it in info or something.)

For more flava, what if even overhealing from items used by any party members is counted too in the blessing point total? Maybe even overhealing from enemy skills or items?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
By the way, Cime, can your character wield weapons? Otherwise we could be a little short power-wise...
Last edited by Ditto on Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:18 am, edited 5 times in total.

octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

Interesting characters you have.
Heron is much like Gaunt, somehow... both have built-in armor, repair and item effectivity reduction... the weapon breaking skill is badass.
Tal has Flava, but he's extremely complicated. Radiance is enigmatic to me. So it allows healing spells to serve as regen buffs (with restrictions), but at the end of a battle it consumes HP?
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

No, at the end of a battle, it consumes all of it's healing (it can heal more than [Lvl] HP a turn since turns don't exist anymore.) Still, radiance seems a little too complicated- besides, I want to make my character more barrier focused.

Anyway, I'm kind of taking from what I've looked up about d&d "leader" type characters and putting it into a PnP character- healing through aura wave, buffing through grace of light, and marking enemies or allies to protect with retribution, along with a taste of flavor in divine dodge and healing efficiency by turning overhealed HP into barriers. If I have enough AP by the end of everything, and I've upgraded my simple healing enough, I might grab some dizzy, dazzle, stun, paralyze, or even petrification effects.

Do I like healers? Why, yes I do.

Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

Cimeries wrote:Also since Tal is pretty small and Heron is pretty big, we could have Tal riding on Heron's shoulder a-la the Big daddies and little sisters in Bioshock.
By the gods, that sounds epic.
I also need to play Bioshock.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
octagon

Post by octagon »

Vindication/Retribution is almost useless on Level 1. (1 damage per turn? Come on!)
IMO you should take something else first and learn it some levels later (2 or 3). Else, you are kind of blocking AP