Players, chars 'n stuff

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Players, chars 'n stuff

Post by octagon »

Cimeries wrote:Here's the impression I have from everyone's play style:

Cimeries: Smart-ass show-off. Character somehow ends up being the leader in practice despite being an ethereal cactus and living in a shoe.
Everyone's chaotic neutral, egoists, or worse. Only one benevolent character to date, and even that one became progressively more chaotic.

Clonkinator: If male, tough, sly, warrior/mercenary, bow and sword in accord. Don't mess.
If female, frightened girl with amazing powers or just lot's of determination.

AoD: If male, 13 year old Australian boy in the body of an adult (or semi-adult) adventurer.
If female, one of the girls he drew. Has colorful powers that put the power rangers to shame.

Tea: Jerk. With Flava.
Updated and so on.

Shade: If male, tough, sly, badass. Likes versatility, and thus almost always goes with a Jack Of All Trades - melee combat, ranged combat and spells all at once. Spells are also very varied and cover at least attacking and healing, as well as buffs if possible.
If female, emotional little girl with great spellpower and agility, but weak physical capabilities otherwise. Sometimes also a Jack Of All Trades that just slightly favors magic over physical combat.
In either case, abilities tend to be simple but efficient. Very often has an ability that boosts combat performance at critical HP, as well as a Last Chance Hit Point.
In terms of stats, strongly favors dodging over concrete durability, though sometimes has a bit of both. Usually balanced otherwise.

Cime: See above. Likes to pick unusual races and classes with a lot of strange quirks that end up being very powerful in practice.
Abilities tend to be a bit obscure, but very useful. Has a slight tendency towards support abilities.
Stats are easily the most varied out of all players here and always support his character build.

AoD: If male, tends to be immature and easygoing, causing his character to usually be disliked by the other characters.
If female, woobie-ish in most cases, and
Abilities tend to be very straightforward and either absurdly effective (lol Powerslam) or very underpowered.
Stats usually are balanced, but his characters tend to be pretty frail in terms of both dodging and raw defense. In other words, glass, but unfortunately not always a cannon.

Ditto: Usually a tank. Often (especially if a porc) comical, old-fashioned, knightly and with an extreme concept of honour. Otherwise usually caring and with sort of a dark side, which differs in its kind. Likes to re-use characters.

octagon: Either fairly generic or very unusual characters. Sometimes, very emotional characters that tend to be a bit prone to heroic BSOD. Likes glass cannons with a lot of quirks. Abilities are very varied and clever. They tend to come with drawbacks for himself, but usually are pretty effective.
In terms of stats, tends to have little strength and durability and usually relies on his abilities to do the job instead.
Cannot roleplay "usual" characters well. Never played female characters so far out of fear of them turning out generic and therefore effectively unplayable.

Ditto: Tank, tankier, tankiest. Sometimes goes with a healer tank, but at the very least always a tank.
Character personalities are pretty varied, though they tend to have an honour motif. Always large in size.
Abilities tend to strongly focus on survival, usually either making the party tougher or healing them. Sometimes debuffs enemies instead. Usually also comes with decent melee combat if the ruleset allows him to.
Never tries to dodge attacks; instead makes sure his character can simply take the hits with their sheer HP and defense.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler: List of re-used/exported/reincarnated characters
-Hart
-Oinkleyver
-Heyon
-Hans (in name)
-Shade (except not :|)
-Stul'p (sort of, in the next PnP)
-Exampleman (:mrgreen:)
-Xela
-Gaunt/Heron (not in personality, but in build)
-Vic(t)(o)(r)/Veles
-Leonard/Durbrin
[please add others which you remember]
---------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler: Characters that deserve being (re-)used
-Zak the Traveller
-Tali the Warrior Scribe
-Hood
-Soulfu
-my semi-prepared golem character, can't remember his name
Sorry for talking about [de]stickification way too often, but Arcadia and Rise of a King (:() can be destickified, while it seems like Axedes and Goddamn (what an awesome name!) can be stickified.
Suggestion: Why not split this forum between "Forum Games" and Forum PnPs"?
Last edited by octagon on Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Expied?
If I may say so myself, I think my Hood (Anders Cenhelm) and Scytale's Soulfu are the two most badass characters made to date.
:wink:
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

What about Scytale's demon character, Ahksm'd Nevol, who once killed an entire party of bandits by throwing one at all the rest? :P
But you are right, Soulfu was epic.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

May or may not participate in another PnP to demonstrate play style. I keep getting forgotten for some reason or another.
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Maxaxle wrote:May or may not participate in another PnP to demonstrate play style. I keep getting forgotten for some reason or another.
That is because playing a PnP requires reading all the posts in the thread. We can't ask you for something like that. ;)
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Yeah, last time Maxaxle tried to play a PnP he asked someone to make his character for him.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Ditto
Jungle Warrior (Committed contributor)

Post by Ditto »

MDRP applies to PnPs even more than other stuff, Maxaxle.
"It only hurts when my squad won't f***ing heal me."

http://guildedage.net/
octagon

Post by octagon »

I'm reading through old PnPs...

Joe Bob was badass. Also, Hood really is epic.

Somehow, I just can't find Soulfu... :?

@Maxaxle: Try it anyway. I'm confident.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Speaking of Hood, here is some stuff I sent to Clonks when I was coming up with him. I realized that no one will see this as the game is over, and for the same reason, there is no sense in letting it sit in my PM box.
Hidden Background wrote:Anders Cenhelm was once a locally famous adventurer. Until some twenty years ago, with a sudden and unannounced retirement, he went by the name of "Hood". He spent many years hunting and fighting evil and the Dark Dawn sect, but his career came to an end with the loss of his eyesight. Under his trademark hood, old bloody bandages cover his eyes. The very same eyes that fell victim to one of the most horrible magical illnesses possible, cast by no other than by a man who was then an "archbishop" of the Dark Dawn sect. The illness causes his eyes to decay during the course of the day, and then make a sudden complete, momentary recovery at dusk, only to decay once more in an endless cycle.
Anders is wise, old and benevolent. He has spent most of his retirement in solitude, mastering a form of perception only the blind can experience, and honing his peculiar spellcasting abilities, which have come naturally to him ever since the injury. After his twenty years of retirement, at the age of 55, feeling ready and inspired by dreams that haunt him, he sets out once again to hunt the Dark Dawn sect and dedicate himself fully to ridding the world of evil. Taking his own life in the attempt, if need be.
And this is another one I sent to Clonks a bit after the start of the game:
Cheap sunglasses wrote:As part of an effort to make rounder characters, when I came up with him, I actually planned for Hood to regain his vision at some point.
I was hoping this would happen sometime well into the game, say, around level 6 or so.

Of course, I wasn't sure on how to go about doing this. Just suddenly remarking to the others that Hood can now see because he has uber haxx0r skills and enough AP seemed lame to me.

So I was hoping that you'll agree to throw in some kind of side quest. Maybe uncovering an artifact that removes powerful curses, maybe performing some kind of ritual with the bones of the archbishop who cast the curse, whatever. I'd actually prefer if it wasn't all that obvious (to me and the others) what the quest is and what are its consequences.
This is the portrait I was going to use once he had regained his vision, after which he would no longer be "Hood" and instead be simply referred to as Anders:
Yeah he was going to cut off most of the beard too. You know you wish your gramps was half as cool as Hood.

As for Soulfu, the PnP where Scytale played him:
Clonks' PnP

No, we didn't have them fancy titles back then, mkay.
Last edited by Cimeries on Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Hood's complete awesomeness makes it even more of a pity that Dark Dawn didn't continue...
And Soulfu... is really epic. Interesting concept, especially with the "speak in code" thing...
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

I knew something was going on when you had like 100-200 AP that you weren't using...

Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Clonks actually told me that if I complete a whole sidequest for it I won't have to pay any additional AP.
I was hogging AP because all my skills seemed appropriately powerful at the time and I couldn't think of new ones (and I did have a buttload of them already too).
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

What? But we'd have to complete the sidequest too. D:

Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

I thought about that just now, I'm sure he'd have given you some AP to spend or some uber items or something if you tagged along. You know Clonks needs his balance.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Btw, I never got an answer for my question, what is "Expied"?
Assuming it's not "Expired" because it contradicts with "re-used", I can't think of what it might mean, and it's bugging me. >:|