Players, chars 'n stuff

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

Expy: "Short for 'Exported Character', an Expy is a character from one series who seems very similar to a character in another, older series (Or even the same). A few minor traits — such as age and name — may change, but there's no doubt that they are almost one and the same. Often seen in different works by the same writer(s) or production team."

-- TVTropes
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

In that case you can add two of mine: Vic/Vico/Victor and Leonard. I don't know what's up with those two, but I like them way more than I should.

Also Veles from Scytale's old PnP and Durbrin from Clonks' one are "reincarnations" of those two. Same concept, nearly the same personality, slightly different skillsets (and there's the fact of them not being human, but who cares about such fineries).
:wink:
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

Sorry for not answering your question. I mistook your question for a doubt that there can be such a thing as an expy in PnPs.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Expy
EDIT: I just saw that penguinflyer5234 already explained it... sorry, I hadn't seen it before.
Though the word "Expy" apparently is an abbreviation of "exported character", which means that the verb of "expy" is "to export", which would make my initial wording incorrect.
EDIT: Okay; done.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

After careful consideration I have decided which one is the best character ever, in my opinion.

It has the best backstory, the most interesting skills and abilities and is roleplayed superbly.

That's right Exampleman, I'm talking about you, of course. You handsome devil.
octagon

Post by octagon »

The most fascinating thing about him is that he appears in Every. Freakin'. PnP. It's almost creepy.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Re: Players, chars 'n stuff

Post by Shade »

I request that the list be updated. :teach:
At the very least, I have noticed that we also tend to strongly favor certain character builds in terms of gameplay, and there's no mention of that yet.

Shade: If male, tough, sly, badass. Likes versatility, and thus almost always goes with a Jack Of All Trades - melee combat, ranged combat and spells all at once. Spells are also very varied and cover at least attacking and healing, as well as buffs if possible.
If female, emotional little girl with great spellpower and agility, but weak physical capabilities otherwise. Sometimes also a Jack Of All Trades that just slightly favors magic over physical combat.
In either case, abilities tend to be simple but efficient. Very often has an ability that boosts combat performance at critical HP, as well as a Last Chance Hit Point.
In terms of stats, strongly favors dodging over concrete durability, though sometimes has a bit of both. Usually balanced otherwise.

Cime: [Same as last time]. Likes to pick unusual races and classes with a lot of strange quirks that end up being very powerful in practice.
Abilities tend to be a bit obscure, but very useful. Has a slight tendency towards support abilities.
Stats are easily the most varied out of all players here and always support his character build.

AoD: If male, tends to be immature and easygoing, causing his character to usually be disliked by the other characters.
If female, [???]
Abilities tend to be very straightforward and either absurdly effective (lol Powerslam) or very underpowered.
Stats usually are balanced, but his characters tend to be pretty frail in terms of both dodging and raw defense. In other words, glass, but unfortunately not always a cannon.

Ditto: Tank, tankier, tankiest. Sometimes goes with a healer tank, but at the very least always a tank.
Character personalities are pretty varied, though they tend to have an honour motif. Always large in size.
Abilities tend to strongly focus on survival, usually either making the party tougher or healing them. Sometimes debuffs enemies instead. Usually also comes with decent melee combat if the ruleset allows him to.
Never tries to dodge attacks; instead makes sure his character can simply take the hits with their sheer HP and defense.

octagon: Very emotional characters that tend to be a bit prone to heroic BSOD. Likes glass cannons with a lot of quirks. Abilities are very varied and clever. They tend to come with drawbacks for himself, but usually are pretty effective.
In terms of stats, tends to have little strength and durability and usually relies on his abilities to do the job instead.
Last edited by Shade on Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

I am offended. It seems like you based my male thing off of Hans alone. :P
Jack was playful, admittedly, but no flirt. And Drewund was a complete inversion...

You might also want to remark that generally no-one likes them. :D

I think Cime's old description for my female characters still applies - I haven't played one in a while. Although Ell was pretty much the opposite of 'colourful powers'.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Shade

Post by Shade »

Agent of Dread wrote:I am offended. It seems like you based my male thing off of Hans alone. :P
Jack was playful, admittedly, but no flirt. And Drewund was a complete inversion...
I don't even remember Drewund Well yeah. Maybe "easygoing" is more approriate. :P
Agent of Dread wrote:I think Cime's old description for my female characters still applies - I haven't played one in a while. Although Ell was pretty much the opposite of 'colourful powers'.
Ell is in fact the reason why I didn't copy the old description. :wink:
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I think we can definitely assume they're all woobie-ish, though. :P
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
octagon

Post by octagon »

And you based my characters' personality solely on Aranym :?
Though Aranym and Stulp are the only characters I ever really came to play, since the others lacked a personality of their own.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Sorry, I guess he was just the most memorable. :?
Ditto
Jungle Warrior (Committed contributor)

Post by Ditto »

Tank, tankier, tankiest?

Oi!

I'd play something else if anyone else would leave the realm of glass cannons and fragile speedsters, y'know. Someone's got to deal with all that damage being dealt.
"It only hurts when my squad won't f***ing heal me."

http://guildedage.net/
Shade

Post by Shade »

My characters usually aren't exactly tanks, but they're perfectly capable of taking a few hits and usually have healing spells. Actually, instead of going with tank/glass/sorta-glass/glass, we could just try balanced/balanced/balanced/balanced for once. :teach:
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

Ew, balance is boring. Why have balance when you can have 1337 hax00rz glass cannon powa!
"It only hurts when my squad won't f***ing heal me."

http://guildedage.net/