[RPG] A Goddamn PnP - Talk

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

[RPG] A Goddamn PnP - Talk

Post by Agent of Dread »

A Goddamn PnP
Zorg the Evil kicked your dog and then he ran away to hide somewhere, go kick his ass and some random beasties' collective asses on the way too.

Rules (no specific order):
1. If a player's HP drop to 0 or lower, he faints.
2. XP is awarded for many things. Advancing to the next level always takes 100 XP.
3. You may carry up to 7 items in your inventory. Most of these can be stacked.
4. If you want to say anything out of character, use olive as a color please.
5. You may try to do whatever you imagine you want to do. If you want to try to climb a wall in order to look at the whole thing from above, do it. If you encounter a pool full of sharks and want to jump over it, try it! Nobody ensures that it will be successful though...
6. Whenever I post I'll post a "summary" that indicates the current HP, MP and Lvl of each character and enemy (if there are any) as well as the result of your last actions. You may only do one action, e.g. attack someone, at a time. After having done an action, you'll have to wait for my next post. Saying something or talking to someone doesn't count as an action though. Also, if you do something in order to do something else, e.g. you light your torch to see what is around, or you throw something at your enemies to run surprise them and run away, it also only counts as one action, not as two.
7. When leveling up, you gain 1d6+HP Mod hitpoints, 1d6+MP Mod mana points, 100 AP, and 5 more points for your stats.
8. If things get risky, you may try to escape. In that case, every conscious party member gets a check. Those are all added together, with unconscious heroes being +0. Then the remaining enemies all get a check (bosses may get high bonuses here), also being added together. Then party vs. enemies is checked. If party is higher, the escape is successful.
9. There are two main possible positions for battles. You can choose between either *front* or *cover*. The front can be attacked by anything, but can also attack with anything itself. Covered characters can only be hit by ranged attacks, magic and certain skills that hit the whole party - however, this only applies if there is at least one character standing at the front. If all characters at the front are either gone or unconsious, melee attacks will hit covered characters as well. There are others, such as the enemy lines or flying, for example.
10. Sometimes you'll encounter unusually strong enemies, called bosses. They are very dangerous and often need to be defeated in order to continue with the good part of the story. They often have very high modifiers on their stats. When seeing them in the status table, they are marked brown.
11. Gold is kept by the party, even when split up. (Screw logic)
12. You may split 25 points between HP and MP. You start with 500 AP. AP can buy stats as well as skills. Stats are 50 AP.
13. You are allocated 35 points to split among your stats at the start. None can be higher than 9 + your characters level at any given point.
Strength: Modifies damage dealt with melee weapons (but cannot make it lower than 1). Each point adds one extra point of damage.
Dexterity: Each point adds +3 to your Hit value, and +1 to your Avd. Used for some event checks.
Agility: Each point adds +3 to your Avd value.
Intelligence: This is Strength, but for spells. Used for some event checks.
Wisdom: This is dexterity, but for spells. You regain WIS/4 MP every turn (rounded down), with 1 as the lowest.
Luck: Each point adds +2 to your Crt value.
14. Something else to note about stats.
Atk = STR + Equipment Atk value
Hit = 80 + DEX*3 +/- Equipment modifiers
Crt = LUK + Equipment modifiers
Def = Equipment Def value
Avd = 10 + DEX + AGI*3 + Equipment modifiers
Sht = INT + Spell modifiers
Damage dealt = Weapon/Spell damage (+ Strength if it's a melee attack)
15. Poison can only bring you down to 1 HP. When poisoned, a d8 is rolled, the result is how many turns the poison lasts for.
There are three types of poison:
Weak poison: Deals 1DMG each turn. It's weaker, hence the name. And well, the only reason you would use this is because it's cheaper, AP and goldwise.
Normal poison: Deals 10% of the enemy's max HP rounded up damage each turn.
Strong poison: Deals 15% of the enemy's max HP rounded up damage each turn.
16. If there's anything else I missed, either it's shown in the example below or applies like every single PnP. If I missed something other than that or it's confusing or whatever, just tell me, because I probably have messed up somewhere.

Mrs. Example, lvl 1 [0] Example
HP: 13/13
MP: 12/12
15 Atk | 110 Hit | 5 Crt
3 Def | 25 Avd
Longsword [5 Atk]
Leather Cuirass [3 Def]
Spoiler: Inventory and s#$t
Items [0/7]
-

Skills/Spells
Example Skill [3 MP]: Does something.

Abilities/Traits
Example Ability: Mrs. Example can do something.

Stats
STR: 10
DEX: 10
AGI: 5
INT: 0
WIS: 10
LUK: 0

Random
AP: 500
People bored: >9000

I did this because people are getting too wrapped up in the whole advanced roleplaying and complex stories; this is an attempt to get back what was happenin' with our ~150 page PnP threads on Informe, although it probably won't work that well. It's low-maintainance, and you can be as corny/boring as you like, I don't really care.

Also, I will prove you wrong, Clonk. At least, in part, if not more.
Last edited by Agent of Dread on Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

I wanted something serious but this will do.
Thinking up a character atm.
:wink:
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Well it can be serious, I just needed a 5-second story. Might remove the ludicrousness depending on what people want.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Re: A Goddamn PnP

Post by Cimeries »

Questions:
Can spells critically hit?
How does accuracy for spells work?
Is there no RES stat?
If I buy a stat with AP, does it ignore the 9+lvl rule?
Can I have the infamous Cutthroat skill from Blackheart if I make it balanced and way too expensive?
Can I has cookie?
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

On second thought, forget that...

James Crowhorn IV, lvl 1 [0] Illusionist
HP: 15/15
MP: 10/10
? Atk | ? Hit | ? Crt
? Def | ? Avd
Cane [5 Atk]
Leather Cuirass [3 Def]
Items [2/7]
- Length of Rope
- Deck of cards

Skills/Spells
Knifethrow [3 MP]: Throws a stack of concealed knives at the enemy front line. Each knife hits a random target, each knife has a base ATK of 2. The number of knives thrown equals Int/2
Knife ATK: 7
Knife Amt.: 4

Vanish [5 MP]: James, or a friendly target of choice vanishes from sight for int/2 turns. If the vanished performs any action the illusion is broken.

Quick Offensive [1 MP]: James can trade one secondary action for one primary action once per battle.

Abilities/Traits
Sleight of Hand: James can perform 2 secondary actions per turn.
Escape Artist: James can always escape from battle, and if he is caught, held, or bound in some way, he can always get free with either one primary action or two secondary actions.

Stats
STR: 5
AGI: 6
INT: 8
WIS: 4
LUK: 2

Random
That's right ladies, this "Mage" is the real deal.
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

Horrible nondescript ugly cliched character:

Jörn, Lv1 [00] Barbarian
19/19 HP
6/6 MP
20 Atk | 110 Hit | 20 Crt
9 Def | 16 Avd
base [10 Atk | 110 Hit | 10 Crt
3 Def | 26 Avd]

Axe of Axiness [10 Atk, 10 Crt]
Heavy Platemail [7 Def, -10 Avd]

Items
3x Spiced Dinosaur Meat (Restores d20 HP and d6 MP when eaten)
Skills
Grim Growl [2 MP] x AP
Growls at an enemy and makes a threatening gesture. Halves enemy's Avd and Def for this round. Critical chance equals that one of his attacks - crits stun the enemy for 2 turns. Minor action.
Provocation [4 MP] x AP
Normal hit chance, deals no damage. Provoked enemies are forced to attack him physically and cannot do anything else. Lasts 3 goddamn turns.

Abilities
Hardened x AP
Jörn has a flat DEF bonus of 3.

Stats
STR 10
DEX 10
AGI 2
INT 0
WIS 3
LUK 10

Story
Jörn hails from the friggin' frigid northlands. He was raised as a barbarian, and a barbarian's life suits him. He likes camping, campsites, campfires, beer [well, actually he does not react well to alcohol, but he is supposed to], puppet theater, haggling [though he can't count, so he fails at it], awful poetry and brawls.

Left AP will be spent for stats.
Why has Mrs. Example 20 and not 15 Atk?
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Bonus situational damage since Mr Example came home smelling of booze again.
Ditto
Jungle Warrior (Committed contributor)
Jungle Warrior (Committed contributor)

Post by Ditto »

Agent of Dread wrote:I did this because people are getting too wrapped up in the whole advanced roleplaying and complex stories; this is an attempt to get back what was happenin' with our ~150 page PnP threads on Informe, although it probably won't work that well. It's low-maintainance, and you can be as corny/boring as you like, I don't really care.
It isn't like people don't enjoy all that fancy rp stuff. Does it really matter if people get "wrapped up" in it as opposed to getting wrapped up in long, story-less game threads?

Still, I do enjoy ridiculous PnPs. Shame Octy grabbed the tank character, I was gonna be a badass mother*bleep*ing shield bashing sir bacon.

Or maybe I'll copy the "double tank" flavor we sort of had in ToaP before tea left.
"It only hurts when my squad won't f***ing heal me."

http://guildedage.net/
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Cimeries wrote:Questions:
Can spells critically hit?
How does accuracy for spells work?
Is there no RES stat?
If I buy a stat with AP, does it ignore the 9+lvl rule?
Can I have the infamous Cutthroat skill from Blackheart if I make it balanced and way too expensive?
Can I has cookie?
Yeah, spells will have a base stat of 5 Crt (unless you say otherwise to shave/boost costs) and a base Hit of 80 (only when unspecified) which your WIS*3 will be added to. Along with attack, it would be appreciated if attack spells or spells that target an enemy could be listed like a weapon at the bottom of their description.

AP stats obey a 10+lvl rule. So you can have up to one over the max for your AP.
Always thought Res was unnecessarily complicated; all things are checked against Avd and Def.

Should I AP now, or do you want to change things accordingly?

@Octagon: You're right, there, I thought I had something wrong on her.

Your stuff:
You can only have 2 Dinosaur Meats, if they're that good.
Grim Growl: So it uses Sp/Hit to see if it worked, and if it crits, Joern stuns it for two turns, and it's a minor action. Correct me if I'm wrong, but for my version that'll be... 100 AP.
Provocation: 70 AP, nice skill.
Hardened: 225 AP.
octagon

Post by octagon »

So, update.

Jörn, Lv1 [00] Barbarian
19/19 HP
6/6 MP
9 Def | 19 Avd
3 Def | 29 Avd]

Items
2x Spiced Dinosaur Meat (Restores d20 HP and d6 MP when eaten)
Skills
Grim Growl [2 MP] 100 AP
Growls at an enemy and makes a threatening gesture. Halves enemy's Avd and Def for this round. Critical chance equals that one of his attacks - crits stun the enemy for 2 turns. Minor action.
Provocation [4 MP] 70 AP
Normal hit chance, deals no damage. Provoked enemies are forced to attack him physically and cannot do anything else. Lasts 3 goddamn turns.

Abilities
Hardened 225 AP

Stats
STR 10
DEX 10
AGI 3
INT 0
WIS 3
LUK 10

Story
Jörn hails from the friggin' frigid northlands. He was raised as a barbarian, and a barbarian's life suits him. He likes camping, campsites, campfires, beer [well, actually he does not react well to alcohol, but he is supposed to], puppet theater, haggling [though he can't count, so he fails at it], awful poetry and brawls.

Left AP: 55
Yeah, I thought about Hit to check if it worked.

Does the 50 AP/stat thing also apply to HP/MP?
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Goddamnit
I forgot to say, you need HP/MP mods which affect what your HP/MP are on level up, max +/-3, the two together should add up to +1.

And no, you can't buy extra HP/MP points.

Your guy looks good now, though.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Isn't 19 HP a bit squishy for a tank?

Because of the mod, I post my character again. Sorry for jörnspamming you.

Jörn, Lv1 [00] Barbarian [Front]
19/19 HP
6/6 MP
10 Def | 19 Avd
3 Def | 29 Avd]

Spoiler: ƗƞƲƐƝÞøƦƴ ᶓ s#$t
Items
2x Spiced Dinosaur Meat (Restores d20 HP and d6 MP when eaten)

Skills
Grim Growl [2 MP] 100 AP
Growls at an enemy and makes a threatening gesture. Halves enemy's Avd and Def for this round. Hit and Critical chance equal that of his normal attacks - crits stun the enemy for 2 turns. Minor action.
Provocation [4 MP] 70 AP

Abilities
Hardened 225 AP

Stats
STR 10
DEX 10
AGI 3
INT 0
WIS 3
LUK 10

HP Mod 3
MP Mod -2

Story

Left AP: 55
[edit]Just realized that 7+3=10. :S[/edit]
Last edited by octagon on Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

James Crowhorn IV, lvl 1 [0] Illusionist
HP: 15/15
MP: 10/10
10 Atk | 110 Hit | 4 Crt
3 Def | 65 Avd
Cane [5 Atk, +10 Avd]
Leather Cuirass [3 Def]
Items [2/7]
- Length of Rope
- Deck of cards

Skills/Spells[list]Knifethrow [3 MP]: Throws a stack of concealed knives at the enemy front line.
Each knife hits one of the possible targets at random, has a base ATK of 2, a hit of 80 and a crt of 5.
The number of knives thrown equals Int/2.
These knives are considered standard throwing weapons, and not a magical attack.
Currently: 4 Knives: 7 Atk, 110, 9 Crt each.

Vanish [5 MP]: James, or a friendly target of choice vanishes from sight for int/2 turns.
If the vanished performs any action the illusion is broken.

Quick Offensive [1 MP]: James can trade one secondary action for one primary action once per battle.[/list]
Abilities/Traits[list]Sleight of Hand: James can perform 2 secondary actions per turn.

Escape Artist: James always successfully escapes from battle.
If he is caught, held, or bound in some way, he can always set himself free using either one primary action or two secondary actions.
Cages, traps, and the likes are no match for him and he can escape them as well, in a matter of moments. As long as it's physical, he can wriggle himself free. If he's bound by a spell though, he's screwed. :P

[/list]Stats
STR: 5
AGI: 6
INT: 8
WIS: 4
LUK: 2

Miscellanea:
HP/MP mod: +0/+1
Updated. Included HP/MP mod. Damn, this guy has Flava.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

@Ditto: Yeah, but we lose far too many possible PnPs because people try too hard.

@Cime: Yes, he oozes with Flava.
Could you lower the Avd bonus on your Cane by 5?
Knifethrow: 120 AP.
Vanish: 60 AP.
Quick Offensive: 100 AP.
Sleight of Hand: 70 AP.
Escape Artist: 150 AP.

The rest is good.
ShellShocker
Rust Eater (Senior Member)
Rust Eater (Senior Member)

Post by ShellShocker »

I reserve a slot.
This signature picture has been cropped to fit the size limit.