[RPG] A Goddamn PnP - Talk

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

The fact that you're being so anal about it infers that you are mad.
Of course I wouldn't pay that, that's ludicrous.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
ShellShocker
Rust Eater (Senior Member)

Post by ShellShocker »

Callum, Lv01 (00) Adventurer (Front)
14/14 HP
11/11 MP
11 Atk | 116 Hit | 06 Crt
03 Def | 43 Avd
Iron Shortsword (4 Atk, +5 Hit)
Adventurer's Robe (3 Def, +5 avd)
Spoiler: Inventory & Status
Items (2/7):
- Iron Two-handed Sword (6 Atk, -5 hit, +10 Crt)
- Purple Potion (Recovers 1d6 HP and 1d6 MP)

Spells:
[04 MP] Healing Word
Callum uses his magical power to restore the health of one chosen ally for INT+1d3 HP. [?? AP]

Skills:
[03 MP] Jump Attack
A simple sword technique, which requires a melee weapon. Empowers the attack, piercing through enemy defence. [?? AP]

Abilities/Restraints:
- Offensive
When Callum takes the first strike in combat against an enemy, an extra 1d6 hitpoints of damage will be dealt to the opponent. [?? AP]

Stats:
07 STR
07 DEX
07 AGI
05 INT
03 WIS
06 LUK

Misc.:
AP: 500
Kills: 0
Probably unbalanced or something, whatev. Grade me.
This signature picture has been cropped to fit the size limit.
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

Agent of Dread wrote:The fact that you're being so anal about it infers that you are mad.
You are imagining things. Pointing out flaws in your logic does not make me mad by default.
Agent of Dread wrote:Of course I wouldn't pay that, that's ludicrous.
Then I do not understand why you give him +50 AP for an ability that works with the very same logic. It's technically a disadvantage for himself (and possibly not even that, as it helps keep healers and stuff alive), but it's a massive advantage for the party as a whole.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Since your weapon is weak, the hit bonus stays. Same for armour, I guess.
Could you make the crt on the two-handed sword +5?
Healing Word is 110 AP.
So it ignores their Def stat if it hits? If so, 120 AP.
Offensive will apply almost all the time unless you're specifically ambushed, so, 170 AP.

@Clonk: Losing a team member =/= massive advantage.
Also, I understand that you're just pointing out flaws, but it's quite easy to see you're being something of a jerk about it too.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Agent of Dread wrote:@Clonk: Losing a team member =/= massive advantage.
At no point does his ability state that he automatically dies if he takes a hit for someone else that would've been lethal to that person.
Taking Cimeries as an example, if he has only 7 HP left, an attack with 10 Atk would be lethal to him. If Cimeries is standing in cover, Ditto is hit instead, for... ...absolutely no damage at all.
And if an attack has 18 Atk so it could actually pose a suitable threat to Ditto, it would still be better for Ditto to take that hit, as it would outright OHKO Cimeries at full HP.
As a conclusion, I'm not seeing how this is a disadvantage in any case.
Agent of Dread wrote:Also, I understand that you're just pointing out flaws, but it's quite easy to see you're being something of a jerk about it too.
That is my normal attitude actually, not my jerk mode. Just because I'm not using smileys all the time, however, that does not mean I'm angry or mad or whatever, I'm simply being serious.
ShellShocker

Post by ShellShocker »

I'll take all of the skills. Ready to play.
This signature picture has been cropped to fit the size limit.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Ohhh, it only says FATAL attacks. Still, they're aimed at him and he takes the damage accordingly, it's a problem for him.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Agent of Dread wrote:Ohhh, it only says FATAL attacks. Still, they're aimed at him and he takes the damage accordingly, it's a problem for him.
Ability that makes me take 1 damage every turn and at the same time fully restores all my allies' HP and MP each turn, +50 AP plz
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Clonkinator wrote:That is my normal attitude actually, not my jerk mode.
Orly nao.
This is my PnP, you hear. Just because you have infinitely more experience doesn't mean you can walk in and say I'm doing it wrong and expect me to listen! You should appreciate that I'm actually running a goddamn PnP, since no other ones are moving right now.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Agent of Dread wrote:
Clonkinator wrote:That is my normal attitude actually, not my jerk mode.
Orly nao.
Ya rly.
Sometimes, however, I just have to shove it right into your face if you refuse to listen to logic.
Agent of Dread wrote:This is my PnP, you hear.
So any advice I give you is invalid by default.
Agent of Dread wrote:Just because you have infinitely more experience doesn't mean you can walk in and say I'm doing it wrong and expect me to listen!
Oh, I certainly can. What else, do you think, am I doing right now?
Besides, I wasn't just saying "lolrofl ur doin' it wrong trollololol", but I actually explained why you're doing it wrong, and even presented you a possible solution. That's called constructive criticism, if you've ever heard of that. Saying that you don't care about said criticism is much jerkier than the criticism itself, if I may point that out.
Agent of Dread wrote:You should appreciate that I'm actually running a goddamn PnP, since no other ones are moving right now.
Why, I'm not even playing. Not after your last one. I'm just concerned about your game's balance.
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

No flaming, please.

Calm down, people. You can also have your discussion in a more friendly and objective manner, which, I think, everyone would prefer. It's just about PnP rules, and there is no reason to get angry. You're both being jerky... Try to understand each others' criticism. Flamewars suck, and they don't fit this forum at all.
Ditto
Jungle Warrior (Committed contributor)

Post by Ditto »

I agree with Octagon. I don't really agree with the AP costs either, but it's AoDs PnP (although I guess I can't talk because they're benefitting me.) Take TDR for example. Carlita ended up taking a massively OP skill, and what happened? The PnP was still a lot of fun. Even if something fun is flawed, it's still better to have it in the first place. And there's no point in arguing over a game.
"It only hurts when my squad won't f***ing heal me."

http://guildedage.net/
Shade

Post by Shade »

octagon wrote:No flaming, please.

Calm down, people.
I am calm.
octagon wrote:You're both being jerky... Try to understand each others' criticism. Flamewars suck, and they don't fit this forum at all.
octagon, there's a difference between trying to get someone to understand your criticism, and flaming them or being "jerky" towards them. I am certainly not flaming anyone. And believe me, you don't want to witness me when I'm actually angry.
Ditto wrote:Carlita ended up taking a massively OP skill, and what happened? The PnP was still a lot of fun. Even if something fun is flawed, it's still better to have it in the first place.
There's a difference between overlooking a balance issue with the actual strength of a skill and then having trouble correcting it, and actively denying that there actually is one when it's blatantly obvious.
Besides, I never said that he should disallow the usage of that ability.
Ditto wrote:And there's no point in arguing over a game.
I strongly disagree, for more reasons than I could possibly type up right now. I'll give you just one right now, that being that arguing over the balance of a game can help make the game more fun.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Agent of Dread wrote:Just because you have infinitely more experience doesn't mean you can walk in and say I'm doing it wrong and expect me to listen!
Then what does one have to do to qualify as someone worth listening to? Be completely inexperienced and clueless? I don't get the logic here.

Sorry sir but you seem to have misplaced your copy of Common Sense(TM).

Yes I agree with Clonks almost entirely, in case that wasn't anticipated. You're acting like a kid, AoD. (Which is perfectly understandable, but you seem to regard it as a merit, when it really isn't.)
:wink:
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

Clonkinator wrote:I strongly disagree, for more reasons than I could possibly type up right now. I'll give you just one right now, that being that arguing over the balance of a game can help make the game more fun.
There becomes a point where the arguing to make the game more fun exceeds the amount of fun the argument would result in.

And also, AoD does have a point. If he doesn't agree with your judgment, it is his choice. I don't think I ever see any gratitude towards the people who put time and effort into PnPs (I don't always do it either.) As much experience as you and Cime have, AoD is the one who is in charge of the PnP, which means it's not your place to argue with him to change the rules, even if you are right.
"It only hurts when my squad won't f***ing heal me."

http://guildedage.net/