[RPG] Exile from Axedes (Discussion Thread)

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Ditto
Jungle Warrior (Committed contributor)

[RPG] Exile from Axedes (Discussion Thread)

Post by Ditto »

I've been working on this for a while, and planned to post it when pf2222 and AoD posted new PnP threads, but since one of those is dead and the other looks pretty deadish, I decided I'd finally post this.

Story:

The floating kingdom of Axedes (prounounced Ak-si-dees. Yes, I had to type the pronounciation) used to be the sole savior of a world populated by dangerous creatures and people, rendering all the people of the world very dependent upon Axedes for a safe livelihood, due to Axedes's many advances in magical technology. Magical technologies are futuristic devices powered by magic that progress far ahead of the world's technological and military knowledge, still using simple weapons and armor such as chainmail and swords and technologies such as wooden boats. This is why more than a third of the world's population crowded into the huge kingdom of Axedes when it deemed the world too unsafe to live in, and ordered the masters of magical technology to cut the city off from the earth and raise it up into the sky, seperating it from the dangerous world. Axedes orbits the earth in safety, collecting materials from the earth swiftly and safely.

It didn't take long for the world who once loved and relied upon Axedes to hate them. Axedes abandoned them, forcing them to fight tooth and nail to stay alive, and now reaps resources from their land. Axedes also advances further and further ahead technologically without the burden of danger, while the land below is stuck in a constant war, unable to advance ahead because of the constant death and violence. The leaders of Axedes realized how this would anger its people, and decided to conceal it from them, discreetly trapping them in Axedes and telling them that they were helping the people of the world still. But you, a warrior and scientist of Axedes, were unlucky enough or smart enough to learn the truth, and Axedes needs to keep you quiet so you don't rebel.

Today is the day you are supposed to die. The leaders have framed you for genocide, and you are to be dropped down into the earth below you, a painful death because you refused to keep quiet. But deep down, you know you won't die. You'll be able to help the world below, in your own way. And Axedes's reign will end.

Combat:
Combat is a mix of simple combat and magic with weapons like swords and bows and spells from the lower world and small amounts of magical technology stolen from Axedes like magical bombs and machines with limited power, powered mainly by runestones, magical stones that power magical technology. You can add runestone components to spells and abilities if you like, like extra status effect, damage, or skill use conservation components.

There are two sets of statistics, combat statistics and technological skills. The combat skills are related to your performance in combat, and are:

Strength: Your physical strength. For every point of strength you have, your damage with any weapon is boosted by one, starting at a base of five. Strength is also used to determine the amount of items you can carry, which starts at five and goes up by one for every point of strength you have. The more strength you have, the stronger you are, allowing you to do more tasks that require strength.

Dexterity: The dexterity of your arms and hands. For every point of dexterity you have, your hit goes up by 5, which starts at a base of one hundred. The higher your dexterity, the lower the chance you will fail with delicate tasks like picking locks. Finally, for every point of dexterity you have, you gain three crt, starting at a base of 15.

Agility: Your agility and speed. For every point of agility you have, your avoid goes up by 5, which starts at a base of 50. The higher your agility, the faster you can run, and the better your ability to manuever around obstacles.

Endurance: How much abuse you can endure before you faint. For every point of endurance you have, your HP goes up by 4, starting at a base of 60. People with high endurance can endure bad things much better than other people, physical and mental.

Knowledge: How wide your range of skills is. For every point of knowledge you have, your AP goes up by 30, starting at a base of 450. You also gain three ability points per point of knowledge you have for every level above one you are. AP given by knowledge will be added for past levels if you boost it after leveling up, so there is no need to worry about boosting this early.

These stats will remove whatever it would add if you add negative stats. You can spread points among these stats while gaining a total of 5 stat points, no stat exceeding +5 or being less than -5 at the start, with a maximum of +10 in any given stat, gaining a stat point in three different stats each level, as well as a hundred ability points. Ability points are used in combat based skills and abilities which I'm sure all of you are familiar with, skills having skill uses in this PnP that can only be restored by resting or abilities. You can add runestone costs to spells that are either always required or just help save skill uses for skill use conservation or AP reductions. Runestones are discussed later on.

Just to explain some of the terms earlier:

HP: This determines how many points of damage you can withstand. Any attack not stopped by your avoid goes to this, except for your shield which has a chance to block every attack, around an average of 20% for shields.) Once this reaches 0, you faint, and until you rest for a while, you will stay fainted. You cannot be healed up from 0 HP mid battle. There is no "Defense" stat or armor in this game, having a shield, avd, defensive abilities, or/and lots of HP are the only way to survive a lot of damage. You will recover 1 HP every turn of battle, although NPC's and enemies won't.

Atk: This determines how much damage you do to an enemy's HP whenever you attack. This is equal to your strength plus your weapon damage. Unless you use offensive spells to deal damage, this will probably be the primary factor in how much damage you do.

Hit and Avd: This determines the chance to hit someone, which is the hit of the attacker minus the avd of the defender in percentage. This cannot exceed 100 or be less than 0. These stats can vary in usefulness a lot- high or even unmissable hit is incredibly important against high avd enemies, but a waste of stat points against low avd enemies.

Crt: This determines the chance of a hit to deal double damage in percentage. Critical hits are generally random and unreliable, but often will come in handy.

Being a warrior of an advanced society like Axedes, you also have a wide variety of technological skills. You can spread 10 points among these, with no skills exceeding +5 at the start. You gain two skill points each level. +10 in a skill grants mastery of a skill, allowing benefits, as well as maximizing the skill. Any advanced or mastery technological skill components use runestones, somewhat rare magical stones that have come to the earth in some way from Axedes.

Combat Tools: Your ability to create weapons and hand armor, both simple like smithing swords and shields and crafting bows, and advanced like putting together close range tasers, laser shields and long ranged lasers. Weapons masters with a skill over ten can upgrade weapons, giving them chances to activate a special effect when they hit as long as there are the necessary materials.

Special Tools: Your ability to create physical and chemical tools to help in battle and out of battle, both simple like rope net traps and advanced like bomb traps (which are so fun.) Normally tools have a 2/3 chance to work, but the tools made by a tool master with a skill over ten cannot fail.

Engineering: Your ability to create structures and machines, both simple like wooden houses, blockades, and boats, and advanced like complex locks and fuel based machines. Anything made by a master engineer is twice as durable.

Medical: Your ability to create medical supplies, both simple like bandages and advanced medical care supplies. Medical masters can tend to their own wounds after each battle, healing themself for [Lvl].

Every turn of combat, you can take two major actions like attacking, using a spell or skill, and one minor action like using an item or switching rows.

There are three rows in combat, front, middle, and back. The front row can attack with anything and be attacked by anything. The middle row can attack with any ranged abilities and can be attacked by any ranged abilities. The back row can attack with any ranged abilities with a 25% hit penalty, but can be attacked by any ranged abilities with a 25% avd bonus, rendering people attacking from back row to back row with a 50% hit penalty. You have to cross through the middle row for a turn before being able to reach the row on the other end.

Leveling up will grant you three stat points, two skill points, 100 AP plus 3 for every point of knowledge (or -3 for every negative point of knowledge), and one HP. You need 100 XP to level up.

Make sure to tell me about skills learned, stats taken, or anything else related to your character's ability.

While your character's "armor" just represents a portion of your HP and doesn't change, you can hold weapons and shields in your hands. Shields are held in one hand and have about a 20% chance to block any attack, but cannot be "dual wielded" with one in each hand. One handed weapons are held in one hand and have an average of (5 Atk, 0 Hit, 0 Crt), but cannot be "dual wielded" with one in each hand, and are generally wielded with shields. Ranged weapons are held in both hands and have an average of (4 Atk, 0 Hit, 0 Crt), and ranged ammo is limited and gives about one atk to the bow's damage. Two handed weapons are held in both hands and have an average of (10 Atk, 0 Hit, 0 Crt).
Unarmed damage gives (O Atk, 0 Hit, 0 Crt). All of these hand abilities can be improved with AP.

Your characters will start the game with no more than items held in the hand and ammo that you snuck into your cell. I suggest taking two handed weapons instead of one handed ones without shields or taking shields due to superior abilities, but that might not be the style of your character, so I'll make skills that make it just as effective to, say, use a one handed weapon with a free off hand as it is to use a two handed weapon cost less AP.

Every time I post, I will post a table that shows your HP, XP, any status effects afflicting your character, the name of the player who is playing as the character, and anything else you want me to post in it. Whenever you run into enemies, I will post a table with their HP and equipped weapon, as well as the type of weapon. (1h, 2h, Rng)

Also, say hello to...

Good ol' Mr. Example, Level 1 Examplerace Exampleclass [0/100]
(Feel free to put a picture here.)
HP: 60/60
(Feel free to put your skill uses here.)
Main Hand: Heavy Staff (10 Atk, 0 Hit, 0 Crt, 2h)
Off Hand: None
15 Atk | 100 Hit | 15 Crt | 50 Avd
Spoiler: Inventory and Status
Items (0/5):
-None

Skills:
-Exampleskill [4/4]-
Does something to something.

Abilties:
-Exampleability-
When something does something, Mr. Example does something.

Stats:
Strength: +0
Dexterity: +0
Agility: +0
Endurance: +0
Knowledge: +5

Technological Skills:
Combat Tools: +3
Special Tools: +2
Engineering: +2
Medical: +3

Info:
Ability Points: 450 Base + 150 from Knowledge
Roleplaying:

You will be roleplaying as your character. Invent an interesting background and interact with the other players. Make your character act logically... at least if he isn't insane or something. Give him a personality, reasons to fight, history, etc, just don't be lame and stereotypical about his background. Be any race that you want. You can only have one character, though. When you post, write anything your character says in quotes with your special "speaking color," and write anything OOC (out of context) in olive text. PM me if you need my help to integrate something into the PnP without the other players knowing, like an NPC arch enemy guy, or even YOU being the arch enemy guy. Be as interesting as possible, there aren't too many guidelines to your character's background. Most of the time, your characters will be or at least should be in one party, but this won't always be the case.

Enjoy. :twisted:
Last edited by Ditto on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"It only hurts when my squad won't f***ing heal me."

http://guildedage.net/
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Re: [RPG] Exile from Axedes (Discussion Thread)

Post by Shade »

Ditto wrote:You will recover 1 HP every turn of battle, although NPC's and enemies won't.
You will probably want to remove this. Believe me, keeping track of regeneration is a royal pain in the *ss.

I'm also not sure if there's even anyone still around to play, other than me and AoD.
But I'll make a character. Just give me some time.
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

I guess there aren't that many players... still, Octy might play if he ever stops having exams. Oh wait, thats never going to happen. :P

Ditto

Post by Ditto »

I just realized that both stats and tech skills cap at level 16. :shock:

Shade

Post by Shade »

Well, it's not like we ever had a PnP so far where anything ever went above level 5... xD

Please forgive me if any of my spells or abilties look unbalanced; I'm not quite sure what to do with all those stats. Especially the negative hit rate your system gives me irks me.

Tessa, Lv1 [00] (Middle)
72/72 HP
11 Atk | -10 Hit | 09 Crt | 100 Avd
Magic Rod (10 Atk, 0 Hit, 0 Crt, 2h)
Black Dress
Spoiler: Inventory & Status
Items (0/1):
- None

Spells:
[4/4] Magic Missile [?? AP]
[Base: 25 Atk, 180 Hit, 15 Crt]
[Curr: 31 Atk, 210 Hit, 24 Crt]
A simple offensive spell that fires an orb of concentrated magical energy on an enemy, dealing [25 + KNOx2] damage. [180 + KNOx10] Hit, [15 + KNOx3] Crt.

[2/2] Stardust [?? AP]
[Base: 15 Atk, 150 Hit, 20 Crt]
[Curr: 21 Atk, 180 Hit, 29 Crt]
A simple offensive spell that causes small stars to rain down from the sky, dealing [15 + KNOx2] damage to all enemies. [150 + KNOx10] Hit, [20 + KNOx3] Crt.

[3/3] Fairy Light [?? AP]
[Base: +50%]
[Curr: +65%]
Heals one ally by [50 + KNOx5]% of its max. HP. Tessa cannot heal herself with this spell.

[1/1] Shield Barrier [?? AP]
[Base: 2 turns / 40 Pts]
[Curr: 3 turns / 70 Pts]
Temporarily creates a magical barrier around an ally that prevents all harm done to it. The barrier lasts for [2 + KNO/2] turns or until it has received [40 + KNOx10] damage, whichever comes first.

Abilities:
- Concentration [?? AP]
Tessa can use her minor action each turn to cast a spell.

- Divine Protection [?? AP]
As long as Tessa has any spell uses for any spell left, her HP cannot drop below 1. If she takes further damage while already being at 1 HP, a spell use is deducted from a random spell instead.

Stats:
-4 STR
-2 DEX
+5 AGI
+3 END
+3 KNO

Technological Skills:
+0 Combat Tools
+3 Special Tools
+2 Engineering
+5 Medical

Story:
Tessa has been born and raised in the custody of Axedes. She is the child of a family of scientists, and has thus been raised to become their successor. She's never been able to leave the labs much, and has thus never been able to experience things such as friendship, or even just the outside world - she is unprepared for the dangers of the world. However, despite of this, the deeds of Axedes have not gone by unnoticed by her - and despite never having seen the outside world, she has decided that what Axedes is doing is wrong. However, she was caught when she tried to sneak out of the labs...
Tessa is a very shy girl with the natural gift of magic. She is very unexperienced and unprepared for the dangers of the world, resulting in a bit of naivety. On the other hand, she has a strong will and a strong sense of justice. She tries to help people whenever possible, even if it means to put her own life in danger.

Misc.:
AP left: 540
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

I think my strange system is confusing you, which would be expected.

First of all, you don't have negative hit. Hit starts at 100, and your -2 dexterity subtracts 20 hit, leaving you with 80 hit, although I might have forgotten to post that.

Yes, your spells are very OP, but I know the system's a little confusing:

Magic Missile:

210 may as well be unmissable, since even people with +5 to agility will always be hit. A base of 100 would be more reasonable. Also, the scaling is a little high, especially for crt, which shouldn't scale too much.

For [20+KNO] Damage, [100+KNOx5] Hit, [20] Crt, and four uses, I'll make it 125 AP.

Stardust:

Same as magic missile.

For [10+KNO] Damage, [80+KNOx5] Hit, [25] Crt, and two uses, I'll make it 125 AP.

Fairy Light:

150 AP.

Shield Barrier:

[40+KNOx5] damage is a little more reasonable. 100 AP if you take that.

Concentration:

A little powerful as of now. How about a drawback? I'll set this at 150 AP with either double skill uses of the minor action spell or a runestone cost.

Divine Protection:

150 AP if you make this into all the spell uses from one spell. This is a little vulnerable to weak spells with lots of uses. If all the spell uses is too much, I'll give you 250 AP for half the skill uses, but this is some pretty extreme durability.

Also, awesome, another healer tank. :D

Tell me if you want to scale up the spells a little, I might have scaled them down more than you wanted because the hit was too high.

Actually, I think I'm going to cut the avd scaling and hit scaling in half, +50 or -50 hit is too much... sorry, that sets your avoid to 75 and hit to 90.

...Your character reminds me very much of a character from a tales game, but I can't remember which one.

Shade

Post by Shade »

Ditto wrote:First of all, you don't have negative hit. Hit starts at 100, and your -2 dexterity subtracts 20 hit, leaving you with 80 hit, although I might have forgotten to post that.
...ahhh, that makes more sense. Your opening post states that the base hit was ten, which is why it irked me so much.

I also like how I can only carry a single item, but that's a different matter. :mrgreen:

Magic Missile:
Ok, a base of 180 hit is probably too high, but 100? If the base Avd is already 50, 100 doesn't really seem very reliable. I still want it to be rather accurate.
How many AP for [20 + KNO] Dmg, [130 + KNOx5] Hit and, screw it, 0 Crt?

Stardust:
Same, I'll take accuracy over a Crt rate.
How many AP for [12 + KNO] Dmg, [120 + KNOx4] Hit and 0 Crt?

Fairy Light:
How many AP if I scale it down to [30 + KNOx5]%?

Shield Barrier:
Ok, taken.

Concentration:
The problem is, my inventory is way too damn tiny to carry runestones around. :think:
And I'm not even sure how easy they're going to be to obtain, so I think I'll save this one for later or something.

Divine Protection:
Accepted. I'll take the 150 AP version for the time being.

And I didn't even aim to make her tanky, really! But I always increase any stat that gives Avd as much as possible, and 3 points on a defensive stat isn't even that much. I was just as surprised that I ended up having 72 HP; though I guess if the average damage dealt per attack is going to be something between 10 and 20 points, those 72 HP probably won't last very long.
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

Well, stats only range from -5 to +5, taking 3 points on a defensive stat is like 8/10.

Concentration: Oh, runestones don't use inventory space, they're kind of like gold- the party shares them and anyone can use them. Also, you can usually get them from Axedes enemies, so you usually won't be deprived of them.

Stardust and Magic Missile: Well, attacks aren't exactly super accurate in this PnP. The average attack with someone with +0 hit against someone with +0 Avd has 50% hit. I'll take 5 AP off if you really want that much accuracy, but 50 hit should be just fine for you.

Fairy Light: 110 AP.

Don't think your high avoid characters are always going to be so lucky with avoiding attacks. In fact...

:twisted: I'll give you a present before you leave Axedes.

Shade

Post by Shade »

Ditto wrote:Well, stats only range from -5 to +5, taking 3 points on a defensive stat is like 8/10.
...yeah, I guess if I look at it from that point of view, you're right.
...absolute numbers as stats rather than negative/positive modifiers are more intuitive exactly because of this. They prevent confusion. :/
Ditto wrote:Concentration: Oh, runestones don't use inventory space, they're kind of like gold- the party shares them and anyone can use them. Also, you can usually get them from Axedes enemies, so you usually won't be deprived of them.
Ah, I understand.
Still, 150 AP is a little more than I'm willing to pay for it right now, so I'll save it for later. I don't have that many spell uses anyway.
Ditto wrote:Stardust and Magic Missile: Well, attacks aren't exactly super accurate in this PnP. The average attack with someone with +0 hit against someone with +0 Avd has 50% hit. I'll take 5 AP off if you really want that much accuracy, but 50 hit should be just fine for you.
Yes, I really want that much accuracy. I don't want to end up missing an important attack just because hit rates are super-random. Especially since you're very likely to not send nothing but enemies with +0 or less AGI against us.
So 120 AP each? Taken.
Ditto wrote:Don't think your high avoid characters are always going to be so lucky with avoiding attacks. In fact...

:twisted: I'll give you a present before you leave Axedes.
Awesome.

Since I can't afford Shield Barrier and Concentration right now, I'll save them for later and take the 150 AP version of fairy light instead.

Tessa, Lv1 [00] (Middle)
72/72 HP
13 Atk | 80 Hit | 03 Crt | 75 Avd
Magic Rod (10 Atk, 0 Hit, 0 Crt, 2h)
Black Dress
Spoiler: Inventory & Status
Items (0/3):
- None

Spells:
[4/4] Magic Missile [120 AP]
[Base: 20 Atk, 130 Hit, 0 Crt]
[Curr: 23 Atk, 145 Hit, 0 Crt]
A simple offensive spell that fires an orb of concentrated magical energy at an enemy, dealing [20 + KNO] damage. [130 + KNOx5] Hit, 0 Crt.

[2/2] Stardust [120 AP]
[Base: 12 Atk, 120 Hit, 0 Crt]
[Curr: 15 Atk, 132 Hit, 0 Crt]
A simple offensive spell that causes small stars to rain down from the sky, dealing [12 + KNO] damage to all enemies. [120 + KNOx4] Hit, 0 Crt.

[3/3] Fairy Light [150 AP]
[Base: +50%]
[Curr: +65%]
Heals one ally by [50 + KNOx5]% of its max. HP. Tessa cannot heal herself with this spell.

Abilities:
- Divine Protection [150 AP]
As long as Tessa has any spell uses for any spell left, her HP cannot drop below 1. If she takes further damage while already being at 1 HP, the remaining uses for a random spell are set to zero instead.

Stats:
-2 STR
-4 DEX
+5 AGI
+3 END
+3 KNO

Technological Skills:
+0 Combat Tools
+3 Special Tools
+2 Engineering
+5 Medical

Story:
Tessa has been born and raised in the custody of Axedes. She is the child of a family of scientists, and has thus been raised to become their successor. She's never been able to leave the labs much, and has thus never been able to experience things such as friendship, or even just the outside world - she is unprepared for the dangers of the world. However, despite of this, the deeds of Axedes have not gone by unnoticed by her - and despite never having seen the outside world, she has decided that what Axedes is doing is wrong. However, she was caught when she tried to sneak out of the labs...
Tessa is a very shy girl with the natural gift of magic. She is very unexperienced and unprepared for the dangers of the world, resulting in a bit of naivety. On the other hand, she has a strong will and a strong sense of justice. She tries to help people whenever possible, even if it means to put her own life in danger.

Misc.:
AP left: 0[spoiler="Not yet learned"]Spells:
[1/1] Shield Barrier [100 AP]
[Base: 2 turns / 40 Pts]
[Curr: 3 turns / 55 Pts]
Temporarily creates a magical barrier around an ally that prevents all harm done to it. The barrier lasts for [2 + KNO/2] turns or until it has received [40 + KNOx5] damage, whichever comes first.

Abilities:
- Concentration [150 AP]
Tessa can use her minor action each turn to cast a spell, at the cost of a runestone.
[/spoiler]
Last edited by Shade on Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

Eh, your current spell versions deal less than your base spell versions, might want to check that.

And I don't think you understand what I mean by a present. Which makes it even more fun. :twisted:

Shade

Post by Shade »

Ditto wrote:Eh, your current spell versions deal less than your base spell versions, might want to check that.
Oh, right, forgot to update those. Fixed.
Ditto wrote:And I don't think you understand what I mean by a present. Which makes it even more fun. :twisted:
Oh, I understand it very clearly. Don't tell me you didn't recognize my sarcasm as sarcasm. :?
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

Typed sarcasm = Hard to understand sarcasm... at least in my opinion.

Also, are you sure you really want to cripple your strength and ability to carry items so much? It's not so much of a "dump stat" in this PnP.

Shade

Post by Shade »

Ditto wrote:Typed sarcasm = Hard to understand sarcasm... at least in my opinion.
I guess it depends on who it comes from and who reads it. I'll admit that typed sarcasm is often harder to recognize than if you actually talk to someone, but it's really not that difficult.
Ditto wrote:Also, are you sure you really want to cripple your strength and ability to carry items so much? It's not so much of a "dump stat" in this PnP.
I was not planning on doing this PnP alone actually (so someone else could've taken all the treasure), but I guess I'm better off using DEX as a "dump" stat instead.
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

Well, it hasn't even been a day yet, so I'm not giving up on players.

What's your talking color going to be? I'm going to use it to color in your name in the status log, I think.

Shade

Post by Shade »

Ditto wrote:What's your talking color going to be? I'm going to use it to color in your name in the status log, I think.
I guess I'll go with this one.