Ascent PnP - Talk thread

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Ascent PnP - Talk thread

Post by Cimeries »

Freedom at last! No more exams! And coincidentally, PnP tiem.

Rules:
Rules are Identical to Clonk's latest system, with the following changes:

1. The addition of the Intelligence (INT) stat, which adds to the damage of your spells and places a limit on the amount of active skills and spells you can have. You can not have more spells/skill than (INT/3).
2. The Defense stat (DEF) is replaced with Constitution (CON), and now provides 1 Def and 1 more HP per point.
3. The Resistance stat (RES) is replaced with Wisdom (WIS), and now, besides giving you 1 Res per point, will also increase the number of passive abilities you can have. You can not have more abilities than (WIS/3).
4. The removal of the Luck stat (LUK) and the critical evasion mechanics (CEv).
5. HP now costs 10 AP per point instead of 15. You also gain 1 more HP every time you level up.
6. You get 3 points to spend on your stats every level, instead of 2.
:cookie:. If the GM gives you a cookie, you should write it down somewhere. They may have a special role later. You get them for identifying the bizzare references that pop up now and then, and for contributing to the story, among other things.

By the way, even if you don't meet the INT/WIS requirements, you can always have at least one passive and one active ability/skill/spell.
Also, traits (both negative and positive) ignore these limitations, but you can only acquire traits when you create your character.

Setting:
Mostly good old lighthearted dungeon crawl, the story is another bundle of cliches, bad jokes and Nethack ripoffs in the guise of a literary introduction, but meh. We all know this kind of stuff is awesome.

You can be anything you want. I usually put a limit on certain backgrounds or races. Not this time, go nuts. :)

Oh yeah, there's a little twist this time. See if you can find it.

Story:
You've spent the last few years under the employ of the necromantic lich lord, Deucce Baaj. Your job consisted of dwelling inside of his private dungeon (not that kind of dungeon... well... okay, sometimes...) and protecting an ancient artifact of great importance from any would-be heroes or profiteers trying to claim it.
However, you've had enough of Deucce Baaj's horrible terms. Be it the terrible food (and often lack thereof), the humiliating treatment (oh please, "Skeletal Friday?"), or the lack of a solid dental plan, you've made up your mind to end your binding contract prematurely. This... despite a slight hardship: Deucce Baaj is currently holding on to your soul until the contract ends, as part of the agreement, and retrieving it may prove difficult.

You have banded together with several of Deucce Baaj's other revolting* minions, who are just as frustrated by his terms as you are, and have together conjured a cunning plan to steal and use the artifact mentioned earlier in order to reclaim your souls. No one is certain what the artifact is, exactly, or what are its functions, as no one has yet to open the seals that protect the artifact's case. Everyone is pretty sure it is very powerful, though, and that should be good enough to fetch your souls back from that douch... I mean Deucce Baaj.
*(In more ways than one.)

You and the rest of the motley crew have all agreed to ditch your post today (cleverly leaving in your place a very lifelike cardboard cutout) and meet up with a depressive iron golem under the name of Gaunt, who has agreed to oversee and manage the execution of the plan and bring snacks. Gaunt's quarters are located on BF 23, just two floors above the very bottom of the dungeon, where the magnificent artifact resides.

Example character sheet... It's Gaunt! Yay for GM-inserted characters! :D

Gaunt, Level 01 Iron Golem Assassin [41] [Front]
Image Health: 22/22
12 Atk | 85 Hit | 15 Crt
13 Def | 12 Res | 12 Avd
Weapon: Pilfered Meat Knife (5 Atk, 70 Hit, 10 Crt)
Shield: Light Wooden Shield (1 Def, 1 Res, 10 Avd)
Armor: Iron Plating (6 Def, 5 Res, -10 Avd)

[spoiler="Inventory & Status"]
Inventory [7/7]:
+ Stuff
+ Repair kits

Skills:
Repair [2/2] [60 AP]
Outside of combat, Gaunt can repair himself (or other golems and machinery) for INTx2 HP. Consumes a repair kit.

Chameleon [1/1] [65 AP]
Special mechanisms on Gaunt's shell shift his color to match his surrounding. He becomes invisible until his next attack. He can still be heard, though.

Abilities:
Crushing Despair [145 AP]
Gaunt's very presence is extremely upsetting, and his constant bickering and negative outlook on life pours out and affects everyone nearby. Enemies deal 4 less damage on their attacks and have -15 to hit, while allies, already slightly used to his depressing nature, only take a penalty of 2 to damage and -10 to hit.

Backstab [200 AP]
If Gaunt's target is unaware of his presence, he deals double damage on his attack. x4 if it's a critical hit.

Traits:
Iron Body [+10 AP]
As an Iron golem, Gaunt is too big to wear regular armor, and his body clanks, clatters, and shakes the ground slightly as he walks. All of his sneaking attempts take a 30 point penalty to their rolls if he's moving, and he has a -10 to his Avd. He can only wear loose armors such as robes.
His metal shell provides great protection, however, conferring him with 6 Def and 5 Res.
Also, healing items and spells only heal him for 50% of their listed effect.

Stats:
STR: 7
INT: 7 (2 Skills/Spells)
SKL: 5
AGI: 4
CON: 6
WIS: 6 (2 Abilties)

Misc:
HP: +6 [60 AP]
AP: 000
:cookie::cookie::cookie:

Background:
???[/spoiler]
Last edited by Cimeries on Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:wink:
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

Firstly, the soulkeeping. Egoboo forums!

Anyway, I'm joining. Looks like you took the initiative I was eventually going to get and made a lighthearted one.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Agent of Dread wrote:Anyway, I'm joining. Looks like you took the initiative I was eventually going to get and made a lighthearted one.

You already made one once, remember?
Anyway, you start with 1 cookie. Octagon too if he joins.
ShellShocker
Rust Eater (Senior Member)

Post by ShellShocker »

Can I be a cookie?
This signature picture has been cropped to fit the size limit.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

But that one sucked. This one would've semi-sucked.
Ditto
Jungle Warrior (Committed contributor)

Post by Ditto »

Calling a spot now- does the 4 players rule still apply?

Tanks ftw!
Last edited by Ditto on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It only hurts when my squad won't f***ing heal me."

http://guildedage.net/
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

ShellShocker wrote:Can I be a cookie?

That can be arranged.

5-6 players is the maximum I'll take.
ShellShocker

Post by ShellShocker »

I'd actually prefer to be something more supernatural. :P Screw being a cookie, because I'd constantly be losing HP in attempts to eat myself.

I guess I call a spot as long as it isn't required to type walls of text or anything when I post.
This signature picture has been cropped to fit the size limit.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Man, playing as TheDevTeamThinksOfEverything, level 1 Trope, would rock, as long as you could think of everything. :o
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

Y'know what? Tanks aren't that cool, it's healer time.

Huthar, Level 1 Goblin Voodoo-Priest
HP: 10/10
VP: 0/3
2 Atk | 75 Hit | 0 Crt
0 Def | 10 Res | 60 Avd
Weapon: Voodoo Staff (2 Atk, 75 Hit, 0 Crt, INT+1)
Armor: Voodoo Robe (0 Def, 0 Res, 30 Avd)

[spoiler="Inventory and Status"]
Stuff (0/7):
-I ain't got no stuff.

Spells:
-Water Spirit [8/8]: Huthar summons a water spirit to heal one of his allies for [INT] HP or cure one ally of all negative status effects. If he wishes, he can sustain that water spirit to heal another person the next turn, and continue sustaining it so it will keep on healing his party. The spirit is immune to attacks, but it can only heal his allies. Sustaining a spirit after summoning it only counts as a minor action, but uses 2 uses each turn instead of the original one use for summoning. (He can keep a spirit sustained as well as summon one each turn to heal.)

-Stone Armor [4/4]: Huthar creates a shield of rock around the ally, absorbing [INT] points of damage, as well as increasing that ally's def and res by [INT/3] until the shield breaks.

-Lava Wave [4/4]: Huthar creates a wave of lava, hitting all of the bad guys (well, the other bad guys) for [INT] magical damage. Unmissable (because you can't dodge a wave of lava, stupid!)

Abilities:
-Voodoo Spirits Like Bad Stuff: Voodoo spirits reward Huthar when he or his party kills stuff. For each enemy killed, Huthar gains 1 voodoo point. When he reaches 3 voodoo points, he can restore 25% of the uses of any spell (with a minimum of one use.) Then the counter resets.

-Caster: One each battle, Huthar can cast an extra spell in his turn.

-Weakling Goblin: Huthar has 5 less stat distribution points than other classes due to him being a weak, lame little goblin.

Stats:
STR: 0
INT: 10+1 (3 Spells)
SKL: 0
AGI: 10
CON: 0
WIS: 10

Misc:
HP: +0 (0 AP)
AP: 300
Cookies: 0

[/spoiler]

Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

I was going to join with Calmore 2.0, but your story has left me wondering whether such a dude would suit your PnP at all. xD

Oh, screw it. I'll go through with it. :?

Shade, Lv01 [00] (Front)
16/16 HP
11 Atk | 107 Hit | 14 Crt
07 Def | 03 Res | 60 Avd
Rapier (5 Atk, 95 Hit, 10 Crt)
Red Coat (1 Def, 0 Res, 25 Avd)

[spoiler="Inventory & Status"]Items (2/7):
- Medicine (Heals 10 HP)
- Medicine (Heals 10 HP)

Skills:
None

Spells:
[3/3] Spark Wave [?? AP]
[Base: 8 Atk, 100 Hit, 10 Crt]
[Curr: 14 Atk, 100 Hit, 10 Crt]
Hits all enemies with lightning, possibly also paralyzing them for 2 turns (25% chance per target).

[3/3] Healing Stream [?? AP]
[Base: 10 HP / 0 HP]
[Curr: 16 HP / 6 HP]
Focuses the curative power of the earth on an ally, healing it by [10 + INT] HP. Can also be aimed at the entire party, but only heals each target by [INT] HP when doing so.

Abilities:
- Counter [?? AP]
Shade is very skilled at fencing, knowing how to utilize every single chance to attack. If he successfully dodges a melee attack, he instantly counter-attacks with a melee attack of his own.

Traits:
- Swift [?? AP]
Shade is very agile and perceptive, making it rather easy for him to anticipate attacks and dodge them. Adds +5 to Avd.

Stats:
06 POW
06 INT
04 SKL
10 AGI
06 CON
03 WIS

Story:
-- Need to think of one first --

Misc.:
AP left: 450
HP added: 0[/spoiler]

A new challenger appears! :woo:
Last edited by Shade on Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Hey, look, it's a non-broken Counter. Man, Calmore would've PWNED with that. :P
Shade

Post by Shade »

Agent of Dread wrote:Man, Calmore would've PWNED with that. :P

You bet. :lol:
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

Ah, forget it. I can't make a bad guy healer, so back to making a tank. Forget my old idea.

Ditto

Post by Ditto »

Sir Oinkley, Level 1 Porc Black Knight
HP: 35/35
17 Atk | 100 Hit | 5 Crt
10 Atk | 115 Hit | 5 Crt
17 Def | 10 Res | 0 Avd
Weapon: Huge Silver Blade (7 Atk, 85 Hit, 0 Crt)
Shield: Porc Symbol Shield (2 Def, 0 Res, -10 Avd) (0 Atk, 100 Hit, 0 Crt)
Armor: Full Black Armor (5 Def, 0 Res, 0 Avd)

[spoiler="Inventory and Status"]
Stuff (0/7):
-I ain't got no stuff.

Skills:
-None

Abilities:
-Bash: Sir Oinkley can give up his minor action on a turn to unleash a bash with his shield on an enemy, dealing damage equal to that of an unarmed attack and having hit equal to a normal unarmed attack +20 minus the shield's hit penalty. (This only works if he has a shield equipped.)

-Meaty: Sir Oinkley, being quite the meatshield (figuratively and literally) recovers [CON/5] HP each turn.

-Guard: Sir Oinkley can guard one of his allies at a time, redirecting all fatal attacks aimed at them at him. (Attacks that would kill due to a critical do not count.) This lasts until Sir Oinkley reaches 0 HP or until he cancels guarding.

Stats:
STR: 10
INT: 0
SKL: 5
AGI: 0
CON: 10
WIS: 10

Misc:
HP: +15 (150 AP)
AP: 300
Cookies: 0

[/spoiler]
Last edited by Ditto on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.