[RPG] The Arcadia Project (Talk)

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

But that's the problem! I can't ever think of any really good ideas for characters that haven't been done before, will actually be good, and won't be a d@#$ to roleplay!
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Ditto
Jungle Warrior (Committed contributor)

Post by Ditto »

Say, does he seem at all familiar?

Hart the XIII, Golem-Cursed Warrior
Image Health: 25/25
Image Skill Points: 0/10
Image Rage: 0/30
16 Atk | 110 Hit | 10 Crt
9 Def | 6 Res | -15 (0?) Avd | 10 CAvd
Weapon: Rusty Two-Handed Sword (6 Atk, 80 Hit, 0 Crt, 2h)
Head: Plated Headband (0 Def, 0 Res, 10 CAvd, -10 Hit)
Body: Oversized Leather-Padded Chainmail (2 Def, 1 Res, -15 Avd)
Amulet: Iris's Necklace (Restores 1 HP each turn in combat)
Spoiler: Stats, Stuff, and Shizzle
Stuff (2/10):
-Light Steel Shortsword (3 Atk, 100 Hit, 5 Crt)
-Heavy Steel Battleaxe (10 Atk, 50 Hit, 0 Crt, 2h)

Skills:
-Block [2 SP]-
Hart lifts up his gauntlets and holds his sword in front in defense, fully blocking one enemy attack and increasing his defense and resistance by [CON/2] and [SPI/2] for the rest of the turn.

-War Machine [2 SP]-
Hart attacks twice in a row. If Hart's rage meter hit full on the last turn, the second attack deals double damage.

Abilities:
-Hugeness: Hart is pretty freaking huge, and therefore cannot wear most normal armor- however, he can sometimes wear things such as machine plating, rocks, large shells, or other things if they would fit. (0 AP trait, right?)

-Defend: Hart can defend one ally from all attacks, redirecting all attacks aimed at them at him. Lasts until cancelled or until Hart goes bye-bye.

-Guardian: Hart can protect all of his allies in the cover row, reducing damage dealt to them by 50% but increasing damage dealt to him by 150%.

-Stance: Hart can go into either a defensive stance or offensive stance at any point, reducing or increasing damage taken and dealt by 25%.

-Strike: Hart can attack an enemy unarmed in the place of his minor action at the end of his turn as long as he didn't attack an enemy in a different row that turn. Also, any melee attack that hits him will be countered by an unarmed attack. Hart can replace the unarmed attack with a melee attack, but at the cost of 1 SP.

-Rage: Hart loses 1 SP each turn out of battle, and completely loses it after resting. However, he gains 1 SP every time he is hit by an amount of attack equal to his maximum HP. (Not the actual damage of the attack, but the Atk stat each attack aimed at him has.)

Stats:
STR: 10
INT: 0
SKL: 10
AGI: 0
LUK: 0
CON: 10
SPI: 10

Story:
Postin this as I go along.

Appearance:
Hart the XIII is extremely tall (around 9 feet tall,) and rather intimidating, although his presence is more comforting when allied with someone. He wears steel boots and gloves, and is otherwise covered in full leather armor from head to toe, over which he wears a thick chainmail coat, and he wears a plated headband over brown hair that doesn't look very practical most of the time, but would probably be able to stop a few lethal blows to the head. The weapon he uses is an old and rusty yet still strong seeming two handed sword, and it glows as if once enchanted with powerful magic. The side of the blade faintly reads, "Oblivion."
Sorry for you having to reAP (and therefore making your life a living hell) but with that last character, a few key abilities I really wanted were "no," so I decided to use my Hart 2 tank idea.
"It only hurts when my squad won't f***ing heal me."

http://guildedage.net/
penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

AoD I'll help you with your character after I think of some skeelz for Heyon.. (:
Let's see...
Wing Attack (lol, pokémon ftw): Heyon flaps his wings really hard to blow a strong gust of wind at an enemy for [something.. I'm thinking with STR and LUK, but I don't know how much HP these enemies will average] damage.

Peck (lol! pokémon again): Heyon uses his beak and taps on an enemy for [something] damage.

Wait, octagon, you had 12 tabs open? That's.. a lot. XD
Oh, and I agree that it's easier to type up bbcode.
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

@AoD: Everything has been done before; that's no reason not to pick up an idea that you like. :)
Ditto wrote:Divine Dodge: But it can't be used two turns in a row...
Oh. I thought it just referred to that you can't use it two times in the same turn (as that's usually possible with minor actions). That'd reduce the AP cost a little.
Ditto wrote:Shining Skies: Really? A 2 HP difference? And that even is only because i have 10 spirit and intelligence... this hardly seems fair. Also, it wasn't intended to be castable more than once a turn.
Well, considering that the average early-game enemy's HP is going to be somewhere around 15 or something, 2 HP damage a turn can add up, especially since it cannot be avoided or blocked (I'm not a fan of attacks that cannot be avoided at all). But yeah, the cost was too high, sorry 'bout that.
Ditto wrote:Stealthy: UnAPd.
Sorry, could've sworn I did it, but it looks like I ended up forgetting about it. ^^'
Ditto wrote:Also, I know APing can be frustrating, but please don't be an ass about it. I want to play for fun, but when you act like this, it makes it pretty hard to do so.
I never meant to be "an ass" about it in the first place. :/
If you're referring to the fact that MP regeneration isn't allowed, you gotta admit that it's utterly pointless to have an MP limit in the first place if the very only spell that you might not be able to cast every single turn is a resurrection spell. Magic isn't meant to be cast every single turn, not even by characters that specialize in spell-casting. It's supposed to be a powerful, but limited way of using your character.

Anyway, onwards to Hart the XIII ( :o ):
Ditto wrote: -Block [2 SP]-
Hart lifts up his gauntlets and holds his sword in front in defense, fully blocking one enemy attack and increasing his defense and resistance by [CON/2] and [SPI/2] for the rest of the turn.
Please replace [CON/2] and [SPI/2] by fixed values.
1: 75 AP
2: 82 AP
3: 90 AP
4: 100 AP
5: 110 AP
Invincibility: 200 AP
Also, will Hart only block attacks that actually hit him, or will it always count as a block?
Ditto wrote:-War Machine [2 SP]-
Hart attacks twice in a row. If Hart's rage meter hit full on the last turn, the second attack deals double damage.
I'm not sure how the rage thing is supposed to work; I'll come back to this one later.
I can say though that without the double damage part it would be 70 AP.

Ditto wrote:-Hugeness: Hart is pretty freaking huge, and therefore cannot wear most normal armor- however, he can sometimes wear things such as machine plating, rocks, large shells, or other things if they would fit. (0 AP trait, right?)
Right. It's part of your race's nature, after all.

For the following three, I'm going to assume that they can work independently from each other.
Ditto wrote:-Defend: Hart can defend one ally from all attacks, redirecting all attacks aimed at them at him. Lasts until cancelled or until Hart goes bye-bye.
105 AP.
Ditto wrote:-Guardian: Hart can protect all of his allies in the cover row, reducing damage dealt to them by 50% but increasing damage dealt to him by 150%.
55 AP.
Ditto wrote:-Stance: Hart can go into either a defensive stance or offensive stance at any point, reducing or increasing damage taken and dealt by 25%.
So, just to make sure I understand this right: defensive stance is -25% damage dealt and taken, and offensive stance is +25% damage dealt and taken?
If so, 105 AP.
Ditto wrote:-Strike: Hart can attack an enemy unarmed in the place of his minor action at the end of his turn as long as he didn't attack an enemy in a different row that turn. Also, any melee attack that hits him will be countered by an unarmed attack. Hart can replace the unarmed attack with a melee attack, but at the cost of 1 SP.
For counterattacks, you'll have to announce the number of attacks you want to counter with a full melee attack in advance though.
340 AP. And no, I don't consider this price unfair - this is essentially two pretty good abilities stuffed into a single one.
Ditto wrote:-Rage: Hart loses 1 SP each turn out of battle, and completely loses it after resting. However, he gains 1 SP every time he is hit by an amount of attack equal to his maximum HP. (Not the actual damage of the attack, but the Atk stat each attack aimed at him has.)
Not trying to be a spoilsport, but I can tell you that there's an exceedingly high probability that you'll to wait an exceedingly long time until enemies actually start to have any attacks with 25 Atk. Let alone with exactly 25 Atk.
So, as this essentially just drains away your SP in its current state, +140 AP.

And now I'm kinda starting to wonder what that Rage meter is for? =/
Only a single of your skills ever mentions it, but none of your abilities explains how it's supposed to work.

penguinflyer2222 wrote:Wing Attack (lol, pokémon ftw): Heyon flaps his wings really hard to blow a strong gust of wind at an enemy for [something.. I'm thinking with STR and LUK, but I don't know how much HP these enemies will average] damage.
Just add some bonus damage to a regular attack, or make it its own "weapon" with seperate Atk, Hit and Crt.
MP cost depends on how strong you make it.
penguinflyer2222 wrote:Peck (lol! pokémon again): Heyon uses his beak and taps on an enemy for [something] damage.
Same.
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

Oops, I got confused with rage. I mean a total, so if he gets hit by 10 atk, 10 atk, 5 Atk, he gets 1 SP, and it resets. It also doesn't have to be exactly 25 atk.

If Defend, guardian, and stance can all be up at once, how much AP?

Yikes at strike. Can I split it up into countering and normal attacking and remove the melee capability for less AP?

If Hart is blocking, Attacks that miss still miss and don't count as blocked.

octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

I guess I will still join, but without another character, since Ditto already has the tanky golem - looks like I'm going to get the mage again, but right now I feel more like making a sort of monkish character with staff-fighting proficiency and stuff, though...
The work I spent on Nugur himself is gone, but I have used his almost-complete sheet to create a template for the PHPBB stuff... Feel free to use it.
Spoiler: Here it is
Character, Lvl 1 Class [Front/Cover]
20/20 HP
0 XP | 0 AP
Atk | Hit | Crt
Def | Res | Avd | CEv
Weapon: Bare Hands [0 Atk, 80 Hit, (0 Crt)]
Armor: Coat[1 Def, 1 Res, 10 Avd]

Skill (10/10)

[spoiler="Inventory and Status"]

Items (0/8):

Skills:
[x/] [ AP]

Spells:
[x/] [Atk | Hit | Crt ] [ AP]

Abilitites and attributes:
[ AP]

Stats: (0 free points)
STAT1 | STAT2 | STAT3
[spoiler="Story"]
Script
Spoiler: Unlearned/Unachieved
Spells

Skills

Abilities
[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

I just copied my character template from Sir Oinkley/Arys and changed stuff and needed.

Shade

Post by Shade »

Ditto wrote:Oops, I got confused with rage. I mean a total, so if he gets hit by 10 atk, 10 atk, 5 Atk, he gets 1 SP, and it resets. It also doesn't have to be exactly 25 atk.
Ahhh. xD
Okay, that makes a lot more sense.
That puts the AP of the ability at 0 then. You've got a unique way of building up your SP and you lose them pretty quickly again after battle, so it evens out.
Ditto wrote:If Defend, guardian, and stance can all be up at once, how much AP?
I priced them assuming this already, since you didn't group them together.
Ditto wrote:Yikes at strike. Can I split it up into countering and normal attacking and remove the melee capability for less AP?
Yes, feel free to. I can't give you a new AP cost before I see the rewritten ability though.
Ditto wrote:If Hart is blocking, Attacks that miss still miss and don't count as blocked.
Okay.

@Octagon: You don't have to make a pure mage if you don't want to. Why not try a balanced character with some knowledge of spells (kinda like Shade, for example)? :)
I found that balanced characters are especially good if they have a good melee attack, but are able to resort to spells if they wish to attack multiple targets. ^^
And if you really lack a certain kind of character, there's still a chance that I might just join you with an NPC and fill in whatever abilities are still needed.
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

Hart the XIII, Golem-Cursed Warrior
Image Rage: 0/25
9 Def | 6 Res | -15 Avd | 10 CAvd
Weapon: Rusty Two-Handed Sword (6 Atk, 80 Hit, 0 Crt, 2h)
Stuff (2/10):
-Light Steel Shortsword (3 Atk, 100 Hit, 5 Crt)
-Heavy Steel Battleaxe (10 Atk, 50 Hit, 0 Crt, 2h)

Skills:
-Warmachine [2 SP]-
Hart attacks twice in a row. If Hart's rage meter hit full on the last turn, the second attack deals double damage. [70+? AP]

Abilities:
-Hugeness: Hart is pretty freaking huge, and therefore cannot wear most normal armor- however, he can sometimes wear things such as machine plating, rocks, large shells, or other things if they would fit. [0 AP]

-Defend: Hart can defend one ally from all attacks, redirecting all attacks aimed at them at him. Lasts until cancelled or until Hart goes bye-bye. [105 AP]

-Guardian: Hart can protect all of his allies in the cover row, reducing damage dealt to them by 50% but increasing damage dealt to him by 150%. [55 AP]

-Stance: Hart can go into either a defensive stance or offensive stance at any point, reducing or increasing damage taken and dealt by 25%. [105 AP]

-Rage: Hart loses 1 SP each turn out of battle, and completely loses it after resting. However, he gains one rage point for each point of attack of every attack aimed at him. When this total reaches an amount equal to his maximum HP, he regains 1 SP. [0 AP]

Stats:

Story:

Appearance:
Hart the XIII is extremely tall (around 9 feet tall,) and rather intimidating, although his presence is more comforting when allied with someone. He wears steel boots and gloves, and is otherwise covered in full leather armor from head to toe, over which he wears a thick chainmail coat, and he wears a plated headband over brown hair that doesn't look very practical most of the time, but would probably be able to stop a few lethal blows to the head. The weapon he uses is an old and rusty yet still strong seeming two handed sword, and it glows as if once enchanted with powerful magic. The side of the blade faintly reads, "Oblivion."
Can you correct warmachine if rage is implemented?

Block: I'll take this later.

Defend: Taken. 395 AP left.

Guardian: Taken. 340 AP left.

Stance: Taken. 235 AP left.

Rage: Taken.

Hugeness: Taken.

Warmachine: Still waiting. ??? AP left?

Splitting up strike:

Strike: Hart can attack an enemy unarmed in the place of his minor action at the end of his turn as long as he didn't attack an enemy in a different row that turn.

Counter: Hart counters every melee attack that hits him with an unarmed attack.
Last edited by Ditto on Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Shade

Post by Shade »

Ditto wrote:-15 (0?) Avd
-15 is correct.
Ditto wrote:Can you correct warmachine if rage is implemented?
Yes, but I obviously can't give you a cost if I don't know how easy or difficult it is for you to fill up your rage meter. o_o
(Your ability called "Rage", after all, doesn't seem to have anything to do with your rage meter)
Ditto wrote:Strike: Hart can attack an enemy unarmed in the place of his minor action at the end of his turn as long as he didn't attack an enemy in a different row that turn.
130 AP.
Ditto wrote:Counter: Hart counters every melee attack that hits him with an unarmed attack.
180 AP.
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

Okay, okay, I'll rewrite it...

There. Can you AP warmachine now?

Also, if how much is a flat bonus to resistance or defense? (not the con or spi stat.) For a tank, it wouldn't hurt to have some more.

Shade

Post by Shade »

Ditto wrote:Okay, okay, I'll rewrite it...

There. Can you AP warmachine now?
Ahhh, okay.
In that case, double damage for the second attack of Warmachine costs 190 AP (in total; so 70 + 120), as that's probably going to happen pretty frequently, if not every single turn. Provided that you place yourself at the front, of course.
Ditto wrote:Also, if how much is a flat bonus to resistance or defense? (not the con or spi stat.) For a tank, it wouldn't hurt to have some more.
Won't allow none. If you need higher stats, directly raise them with your AP (you can raise them beyond 10 this way if you want to). It's 100 AP per point, as mentioned in the opening post.
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

Hart the XIII, Golem-Cursed Warrior [45 AP]
Image Rage: 0/25
9 Def | 6 Res | -15 Avd | 10 CAvd
Weapon: Rusty Two-Handed Sword (8 Atk, 80 Hit, 0 Crt, 2h)
Stuff (2/10):
-Sharp Dagger (2 Atk, 100 Hit, 10 Crt)
-Heavy Steel Battleaxe (10 Atk, 60 Hit, 0 Crt, 2h)

Skills:
-Warmachine [2 SP]-
Hart attacks twice in a row. If Hart's rage meter hit full on the last turn, the second attack deals double damage. [190 AP]

Abilities:
-Hugeness: Hart is pretty freaking huge, and therefore cannot wear most normal armor- however, he can sometimes wear things such as machine plating, rocks, large shells, or other things if they would fit. [0 AP]

-Defend: Hart can defend one ally from all attacks, redirecting all attacks aimed at them at him. Lasts until cancelled or until Hart goes bye-bye. [105 AP]

-Guardian: Hart can protect all of his allies in the cover row, reducing damage dealt to them by 50% but increasing damage dealt to him by 150%. [55 AP]

-Stance: Hart can go into either a defensive stance or offensive stance at any point, reducing or increasing damage taken and dealt by 25%. [105 AP]

-Rage: Hart loses 1 SP each turn out of battle, and completely loses it after resting. However, he gains one rage point for each point of attack of every attack aimed at him. When this total reaches an amount equal to his maximum HP, he regains 1 SP. [0 AP]

Stats:

Story:

Appearance:
Hart the XIII is extremely tall (around 9 feet tall,) and rather intimidating, although his presence is more comforting when allied with someone. He wears steel boots and gloves, and is otherwise covered in full leather armor from head to toe, over which he wears a thick chainmail coat, and he wears a plated headband over brown hair that doesn't look very practical most of the time, but would probably be able to stop a few lethal blows to the head. The weapon he uses is an old and rusty yet still strong seeming two handed sword, and it glows as if once enchanted with powerful magic. The side of the blade faintly reads, "Oblivion." He also wears a simple, small, and somewhat feminine necklace of a gold flower with a purple gem in the center, but with the way he sometimes looks at it with importance, and his big size, it wouldn't be smart to make fun of it.
And with warmachine taken, I'm off! I suppose with the big weapon nerf and stance, I can tank pretty well.
Last edited by Ditto on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

penguinflyer2222

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

Wing Attack - 1 MP: Heyon flaps his wings magically to blow a strong gust of wind at an enemy for [STRxLUK] damage.
And then I'll probably save up the rest of my AP for über skillz later or to raise my stats, because I can't think of anything really.
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

STRxLUK? Honestly, if you didn't have crap luck, that would be able to instantly kill everything for 1 MP.