General RPG/PnP discussion and coordination thread

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Re: General RPG/PnP discussion and coordination thread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I was actually playing a re-hash of Cime's original Blackheart in Skype and using Dropbox to manage the character sheets with a few other friends.
If you guys are down for that sort of thing it could be hella sweet.

EDIT: Also, I haven't been around because the forum wouldn't actually let me log in for the longest time. It seems to have righted itself in recent times.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Sounds good, actually.
How exactly does that work, though?
:wink:
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

Agent of Dread wrote:EDIT: Also, I haven't been around because the forum wouldn't actually let me log in for the longest time. It seems to have righted itself in recent times.
The only thing that's changed recently is we've enabled e-mail registration on November 8, but it shouldn't have affected any existing users.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

What we did was store the character sheets in the dropbox folder, and we'd edit them when level ups or item drops came around, and I'd basically leave it open to free narration in Skype outside the battles. We made sure everyone was on at the same time for those and it was pretty much the same as we do it here, just keeping track of HP and MP at the beginning of each turn in Skype, and referencing the stats for rolls from the character sheets without writing them in the chat/whatever.

I do enjoy the forum setup, but the need for an actual forum makes it rather inconvenient.
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

I've never actually used Dropbox before. Do you need an account / how does it work?

Also, while playing in Skype is probably faster and more convenient overall, it would also mean missing out on a convenient way to re-read the whole thing for Nostalgia purposes. Something to keep in mind.
(Also, I already have tons of stuff to keep track of in Skype. Adding a PnP on top of that would be very inconvenient for me.)
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

Shade wrote:I've never actually used Dropbox before. Do you need an account / how does it work?
You need an account to send files to Dropbox, but to retrieve files, you only need the share link from someone who has an account.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

I'd like to give it a try then, I can skype with my phone, so it sounds like that might work for me. I can't concievably run a game of my own this way, but I can at least play.
Shade

Post by Shade »

@pf5234: Having to bother someone else to update my character sheet for me everytime something changes would probably be more of a bother than just outright making an account, though. Still, good to know.

Though if it's not Cime who does the GMing, then who will? I think I've demonstrated an utter inability to provide an interesting story more than once by now, so you certainly won't want me to host - my forte is combat, and that alone does not make for a PnP that will keep anyone's interest, if my attempts at joke PnPs are any indication.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Having burned myself out on the game I ran with the other friend group, I'm probably not up for the job (and let's be honest, mine don't take off anyway with the exception of Predestination which was actually gonna be pritty frickin cool).
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

Oh wow. I didn't even bother to check the forum games section because I thought any unread posts were just bound to be the old PnPs I was still planning to read one day (ha ha).
I feel like trying out what it's like to actually host a PnP myself sometime, but I'm still a scatterbrained perfectionist, so I doubt I'd get done with the preparations for an elaborate 'serious' PnP in a reasonable timeframe and post updates frequently enough to keep it going, and we all know that joke PnPs never get very far.
I'd be totally down for playing pretty much any kind of PnP, on the other hand, because now I'm a lot more motivated and also a little more confident in my ability to imagine how different characters would act in a given situation.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

I was reading some PnPs and I realized I kind of need a bit of this in my life right now. Anyone else wanna play something?
I figure maybe put together a bare-bones system with d6 dice and AP abilities and run a do-over of the first Blackheart PnP. Anyone interested?
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Cimeries wrote:I was reading some PnPs and I realized I kind of need a bit of this in my life right now. Anyone else wanna play something?
I figure maybe put together a bare-bones system with d6 dice and AP abilities and run a do-over of the first Blackheart PnP. Anyone interested?
OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG I GOT REALLY WORRIED LIKE I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD BECAUSE LIKE ALL THAT STUFF THERE AND UGH but yay you're alive
/tumblrish (over)reaction

...but you know. Anyway, something would be cool, yeah. I've never really gotten the fun in something that has all kinds of rules and other stuff that gets confusing easily so I don't think I'd participate in that but one thing that I think would be interesting (even if kinda pointless) would be some type of boring ordinary roleplay thing that'd be pretty much just written as a story from whatever everyone wants with things or whatever. That probably didn't make much sense, but I'm kinda tired because my sleeping ability still sucks and might have spent too much time posting ridiculous greentext stories on 8chan, haha.

But if it made sense, maybe something in between would somehow work and be interesting and entertaining for both people who're into that stuff and who're into other stuff? I can't even form sentences today, ugh. Maybe it's the happiness overload that resulted from getting complimented on a really lame thing I wrote by someone I absolutely respect like hell and want to [censored for the sake of you and everybody else's sanity] with, so yeah.

BUT CIME!!! HOW ARE YOU!!! I've missed you. I don't know if that sounds weird or whatever, but I honestly thought you were dead or something and that made me sad. I'm sure AoD is probably studying at some art school while having all the girlfriends and being a badass por-I mean art-drawing artist person. Scytale is dining as usual, right? Purple is awesoming in teh music thingies (and we've made two albums together, shameless self-promotion alert), Zefz is doing kinky things with girl scouts (I'm sorry I can't get that mental image out of my head, it's literally etched into my memory as a vital part of who he is even if he didn't actually ever do anything like that), Shade is... um... Germanning... Octagon is tumblring like a boss for freedom, Birdsey is probably celebrating his 8716910655th birthday, penguins are ?????, that one dude whose name began with A but I can't remember is most likely doing something important, Maxle is reaching maximum axle velocity, You-Know-Who is holding on to his soap, Seth is Sething with his cute fox avatar (if "Sething" is slang for something, that's unintentional; I just mean Sething like being Seth), Ditto is probably dittoing with a ditto trying to get it to not say "ditto", Hiroy is probably either finding real hyper interesting roughly obscured yarns or doing art stuff, Shelly is probably shipping AoD with his trilby girl, hmm. And everyone else I can't remember right now is probably also doing something. I hope. Right? OH BUT I ALMOST FORGOT ALL ABOUT PEN----CH!?!? C-CIMERIES DO YOU REMEMBER THE PEN. He's drobably picking about somewhere. pls no offend denis if u red dis i just wnted 2 say it k

PS: No offence intended to anyone, not even denis. I just... I don't know. Nostalgy? :mrgreen:
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Don't worry Woody, I'm still very much alive and doing well.

My squadron kicked some serious ass in the last conflict (op "Protective Edge" was the English designation IIRC). I was picked for promotion once things settled down and I am now udergoing a professional course.
My mandatory service ends in about 16 months, after which I might stick around as a NCO (non-commisioned officer) for 6-12 months. The plan is to make a bit of money, get a car and an apartment, and start my degree in mechanical engineering.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Cimeries wrote:Don't worry Woody, I'm still very much alive and doing well.

My squadron kicked some serious ass in the last conflict (op "Protective Edge" was the English designation IIRC). I was picked for promotion once things settled down and I am now udergoing a professional course.
My mandatory service ends in about 16 months, after which I might stick around as a NCO (non-commisioned officer) for 6-12 months. The plan is to make a bit of money, get a car and an apartment, and start my degree in mechanical engineering.
Yay. :clap:
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

woodmouse wrote: But if it made sense, maybe something in between would somehow work and be interesting and entertaining for both people who're into that stuff and who're into other stuff?
That's more or less what I described, a basic stat system that can be played with regular six-sided dice (maybe even let the players make their rolls on their own) and a skill system where every player defines their own abilities.
The option to define your own skills is enough for people like me who love to "power-game", and a basic stat system similar to what we had in our first PnPs is simple enough to allow a lot of roleplay. Plus it's all very easy to manage and basic enough that I can write posts whenever I have a spare hour in the middle of the work day.

It's very much a shame though, that it seems no one from our core RP group has logged into the forums in a while. I'd love to play a game with you Woody, but I was hoping for maybe 2 or 3 players, preferably Clonks, AoD, Ditto, Octy, etc. People that I have some RP history with.

If no one else shows up, I could start a game in another forum with just you and then wait for new people to see how messed up awesome we are and tag along.