General RPG/PnP discussion and coordination thread

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Re: General RPG/PnP discussion and coordination thread

Post by woodmouse »

Cimeries wrote:That's more or less what I described, a basic stat system that can be played with regular six-sided dice (maybe even let the players make their rolls on their own) and a skill system where every player defines their own abilities.
The option to define your own skills is enough for people like me who love to "power-game", and a basic stat system similar to what we had in our first PnPs is simple enough to allow a lot of roleplay. Plus it's all very easy to manage and basic enough that I can write posts whenever I have a spare hour in the middle of the work day.
Whee, yeah.
Cimeries wrote:It's very much a shame though, that it seems no one from our core RP group has logged into the forums in a while. I'd love to play a game with you Woody, but I was hoping for maybe 2 or 3 players, preferably Clonks, AoD, Ditto, Octy, etc. People that I have some RP history with.
Yeah, there isn't really that much point/fun if there aren't at least 2, because there wouldn't be that whole surpriseness or whatever(?) to it.
Cimeries wrote:If no one else shows up, I could start a game in another forum with just you and then wait for new people to see how messed up awesome we are and tag along.
Hahah, that'd be pretty funny. If that'd be it, though, I don't know if I was really that into the whole thing because it'd lack that thing to it. I mean, since it'd probably be either of two things: no one else becomes interested even after a while, or it'd end up becoming too stupid to keep at. You know, like, because whatever it was (even if it was some medieval stuff) my character would probably be a bipedal pink unicorn with the most powerful laser cannon attached to its rectum and a large reproductive appendage growing out of its chest or something like that because it would be too hard to take it even remotely seriously if there wasn't at least one other person who took it at least as (non-)seriously...
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

Sure, I'll join; will give me something to do....
(But no! You don't want me, I can't roleplay, blah blah blah)
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

I'm a bit rusty and I'll have to get used to checking this forum frequently again, but I'll really enjoy participating in a new PnP after all this time.
From my experience, joke characters aren't all that disruptive - having them interact with the serious ones tends to be fun for both sides.

I'll probably make a character over the weekend, though I'll have to do adjustments later as I'm not familiar with Blackheart yet.

also what the hell i'm still proud of Holg (though why the hell does geomancy exist it looks like a total pain to dm)
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

So can I count on the three of you? I can put a thread together by tomorrow if so.
:wink:
ShellShocker
Rust Eater (Senior Member)
Rust Eater (Senior Member)

Post by ShellShocker »

Hey guys (I'm not dead!) I'd be interested in playing, but I'm staying in Germany for a month as of next week and I wouldn't be able to properly participate. Good luck in getting another game going, though.

I also hope everyone is going well. It's been so long since this forum was active, but maybe this will build some some activity.
This signature picture has been cropped to fit the size limit.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Ah screw it, I'm starting the thread.
octagon

Post by octagon »

I can't believe how quickly I got really into PnPs again. Just yesterday I wrote two characters I don't know what do do with and a system that's already done combat-wise except for the freaking roll system argh*.

*I want attack/defense rolls etc to range from 1 to [stat value] or comparable, but I can't think of a way to roll that without just using [stat value]-sided "dice", which seems annoying.

Given that I'm learning text parsing-related stuff in university, I could probably write a Python tool that automatically handles rolls and checks for a combat round. It'd require a more consistent, marked formal notation for skills and combat actions, but it could allow more complicated formulae, effects and roll systems without much of a hassle. It'd handle situational stuff like maneuvers with annotations provided by the DM. Do you guys think that's a project worth the effort?
octagon

Post by octagon »

I started hosting a PnP in another forum...
and the first character someone created is a ghost with nothing but individually negative abilities, which become positive in synergy.
It's super clever and downright beautiful but how the hell do I appraise its AP
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

You appraise them based on how useful the final result is, but taking into account the negative aspects. That's the obvious answer, but I'm having a hard time even imagining what that looks like. Can you post them here or link them? I'd actually love to see for myself.
octagon

Post by octagon »

It's a weird support character who can't attack or take damage, randomly debuffs his allies, and can be stunned by allies and certain enemies at will.
What turns these into boons is the ability to possess enemies, causing the debuffs to affect them instead.
Still, your first impression is bound to be "What the hell, it debuffs me? Why would I want this thing in my party?"
It'd be annoying in a smaller party, but it looks like we're gonna have about 10 players, so it serves to mix things up.

He took some directly positive skills now, so it all worked out.
Last edited by octagon on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

So yeah, I wouldn't remember to be active enough, like I even forgot all about this a few times, then remembered again but forgot again, only to forget what I forgot and then go about my life (or the lack of it) as if I'd never even forgotten anything. :o Besides, I would've pretty much probably gone with a levitating snake character that shoots lasers and can transform into a giant phallic statue made of people and crush enemies by falling on top of them and scattering as the people for a while so that there's the drawback of them sleeping like babies in a fetal position before merging to the snake again... or something like that, so yeah. :P
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Reg. the Luck attribute in PnPs:
Cimeries wrote:It's very simple.

High Luck >>> Everything turns out exceptionally well.
Low Luck >>> You get eaten by snot monsters.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

I suppose it's worth mentioning that I have a bunch of friends who want to get into PnP goodness, but I'm not really a solid enough GM to appease them myself. If at any point we want to make a forum of our own and do stuff there, I can ensure that there'll be more than just three or four of us.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

That's good to know. I don't know how relevant that is, though. The current game that I'm running has the potential to keep running for over a year (albeit slowly), assuming we all keep interest. IIRC Deliverance ran for over a year (though with some months off) and it didn't have the same freedom to explore and do side-quests that this one has.
I don't mind having one or two of your friends join this one, considering it's still early in the game.