General RPG/PnP discussion and coordination thread

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Re: General RPG/PnP discussion and coordination thread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I'll see if they're up for it, then.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

I just perfected one of the trolliest (and most broken) character concepts ever.
You remember how I like counterattacks? Crank those up to eleven.

Enemy attacks? Counterattack.
Enemy counters? Counter the counterattack.
Enemy tries to cast some kind of spell? Counterattack to interrupt them before they even get their spell off!
Enemy tries to use an item? Counterattack Steal it right out of their hands!
Enemy attacks an ally? Counterattack... ...together with the targeted ally, for a total of two counterattacks as a reponse to a single action! Unless it's an AoE effect - then that's twice as many counterattacks as there are allies in the party, plus one.
Enemy (de-)activates some kind of sustained ability or changes formation? Counterattack Attack of Opportunity!
Enemy trashtalks the party? Counterattack.

And now imagine said character being a very (over-)protective maid with one or two traits of a Yandere. :teach:
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

So you're telling me she fights for her friends?
Shade

Post by Shade »

No. Don't wanna run into trouble with Ike. :V
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I hear he has very little sympathy to go around.
Shade

Post by Shade »

I have prepared myself for that. :V
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

You guys want some meth PnP?

I was thinking we could do a relatively simple system and we run it in Discord or something of the sort rather than foruming.

Don't give me that "you did not just" face please, I can see you all the way from the other side of the screen. Just roll with it, it will be fun. :)
:wink:
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I'm always down.

EDIT: Just in case I miss a memo, my Discord's in my sig; I'm practically always online.
Last edited by Agent of Dread on Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Ayyy bawsss.

If we could get one more player I'll start working on a story (unless anyone else wants to GM, I don't mind).
Shade

Post by Shade »

*gives Cime the "you did not just" face*

On the one hand, heck yes, but on the other hand you picked kind of an inopportune moment to host a new PnP as someone else in a different forum I still frequent beat you to it by literally three days. I don't think I can keep up with two PnPs at once these days, especially considering it's been well over four years since I last actually played one in English.

In part due to the above reason, the rulesets I'm used to nowadays are probably quite a bit different from what you guys are used to, too.

Although while I'm at it, have you guys heard of Roll20? It's a browser-based website specifically made for playing and hosting PnPs, and it's versatile enough to support custom rulesets like ours. I've played around with it a little and it seems pretty handy, although it requires everyone to be online at the same time to play (just like in an actual Tabletop session), and my daily routine is about as unstable as it gets, so I'm making no promises on my end.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I used Roll20 to play in a 5th Edition campaign with some other friends last year, I too can vouch that it's quite good. Although you're right that it's maybe not suited perfectly for us.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

I wish my German was good enough to play a PnP.
I can't seem to find another place with the sort of PnP "attitude" that this forum has.

I came across roll20 as well, but as you've mentioned, it doesn't really suit our purpose on account of our schedules and timezone differences.

It's a shame you can't join this one Shade. If we end up starting and you want to join later, feel free to do that, I can always work you in somehow (I believe I even have a medal for that sort of thing somewhere)

AoD (+anyone else that's interested), a couple of interest check questions:

1. How would you feel about me playing a character and GMing at the same time? It would allow us to start without waiting for a second player.
2. Are you okay with a permadeath mechanic? Not a "0 Hp means you're dead" sort of deal, but characters can die permanently under certain conditions once their HP drops to 0.
3. Any preferences for setting/story?
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

DMPCs and permadeath are fine with me, although I don't imagine you're going to go out of your way to kill us once or twice. :P

I don't mind about setting too much, I'm fine to play to anything you have in mind. If it's much more specific than broad/standard fantasy I might have to spend longer getting a character ready, though.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Cool, I'll start working on a story then.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Cimeries wrote:I wish my German was good enough to play a PnP.
Can't be worse than my English was all these years. Reading through our old PnPs here is actually quite embarassing for me. xD
Cimeries wrote:I came across roll20 as well, but as you've mentioned, it doesn't really suit our purpose on account of our schedules and timezone differences.
Timezones probably wouldn't be a problem, actually - I tend to be awake at night more than during the day.
Emphasis being on "tend to".
That's what I meant by my daily routine being unstable. While it's weighted towards night, it's basically completely random at what time of day I'm actually awake, so it's hard for me to tell in advance if I'll be available at any given time.
Cimeries wrote:1. How would you feel about me playing a character and GMing at the same time? It would allow us to start without waiting for a second player.
2. Are you okay with a permadeath mechanic? Not a "0 Hp means you're dead" sort of deal, but characters can die permanently under certain conditions once their HP drops to 0.
3. Any preferences for setting/story?
1. Tends to create problems in my experience. If you think you can handle it, go ahead, but personally, I prefer not to play and GM at the same time.
2. It adds spice, doesn't it? Realistically, that's the expected outcome if the whole party is wiped out in combat, anyway, even if it's not explicitely specified. So yeah, I don't see an issue with it.
3. Classic Medieval Fantasy on my end. You know me; not much has changed in that regard. :V
...you did say "anyone that's interested", even though I probably won't be able to play. :V