Aria of Ruin PnP - Talk Thread

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Re: Aria of Ruin PnP - Talk Thread

Post by Shade »

She could just join the dark side instead. :P
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

Oh, if I don't get around to writing much, don't wait up for me. Nica doesn't need to have anything in particular to add here if we wanna get moving.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Shade

Post by Shade »

Shade wrote:
Shade wrote:octagon, are you octagone? :<
Brought to you by Bad Memes Inc.
Not quite once a month yet, but we're getting there. :teach:
Shade

Post by Shade »

...uhm, really though, is everything okay? I'm starting to get a bit worried.
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

Sorry about that. I'm okay.

I just kept choosing the wrong option between writing like crap and not writing at all.

I never forgot Cime's post about how ones own personality is a great resource for characterization and in-game behaviour; but I feel like I can't draw from mine, because I have so little to say, and my decision-making is barely enough for an awkward student, let alone a weathered, eldritch soldier. So figuring out what my character might even do or think always takes me extreme concentration, patience and a weird level of abstraction.

Some of what I write feels right in some way, but I have the impression that very little of it matches the way any older person, or any experienced soldier, would ever act - because I have no clue what it's like to be either of those things - and it's embarrassing.
Maybe I bit off more than I can chew with this character. Maybe I just need to lower my standards.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

If it means anything, I always really enjoy reading the way Ameia formulates her thoughts. I think so far it's held a very appropriate balance of her and the "other's" influence, both directly and in her mannerisms sometimes being slightly peculiar.
Shade

Post by Shade »

...well, if this is your idea of "writing like crap", octy, I guess I should probably just quit the internet. :P
...jokes aside, though, the way you responded really doesn't sound like you're okay at all.
I don't know what you may have gone through in the past, but... try to have some self-confidence.

You don't need to constantly one-up everyone else when it comes to your posts or their "quality" - in fact, the quality of your posts here should not be something you stress over, period. You're playing a game, with friends - nobody will judge you if you ease up a bit. Games are supposed to be fun, not stressful.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Shade wrote:You're playing a game, with friends - nobody will judge you if you ease up a bit. Games are supposed to be fun, not stressful.
This. We obviously want you to post, otherwise we wouldn't have invited you to play.
And of course, if you feel that your posts are somehow not good enough (they are excellent btw and far from it, when they finally happen), the way to improve them is to poast moar plz kthx.

As for excuses for my recent lack of activity, I'll just give you the cliff-notes:

1. New girlfriend
2. New workplace
3. New apartment
4. New car
5. Wrote 5 songs and produced my first beat.
6. Started learning C++
7. [Can't post about #7 online, if you're curious, PM me. It's shady as fuck.]
8. Today is my birthday
9. Today is also, coincidentally, Holocaust Remembrance Day.

Sorry, I had such a crazy month that I practically forgot the forum existed for a while there. The PnP is also a creative outlet for me so when I'm knee-deep in other shiz it tends to escape my mind...
:wink:
Shade

Post by Shade »

Well, sounds like you've been quite busy. Considering you mentioned #2 and #3 before, I thought as much. xD
Cimeries wrote:Sorry, I had such a crazy month that I practically forgot the forum existed for a while there. The PnP is also a creative outlet for me so when I'm knee-deep in other shiz it tends to escape my mind...
Don't forget about us! That's just mean. ;_;
octagon

Post by octagon »

Thank you for the kind words, y'all.
I think I'm just especially self-conscious in the place where I spent my time as an angsty teen :P

And I feel like all of you are miles ahead of me in terms of describing actions and mannerisms more vividly, balancing interiority and action, and deciding how the character acts in the first place.
(if anyone has specific advice for this -feel free to spill your secrets :P)

So hearing that you actually like my writing is very encouraging, and may have changed my perspective a bit.

Also, that's quite a month.
Shade

Post by Shade »

...Cime, you really did forget about us, didn't you? >_<
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Shade wrote:...Cime, you really did forget about us, didn't you? >_<
I did and I apologize. I need to think about whether I can actually keep this game running right now in my life or if I'm taking a break from this.
I'll have an answer for you guys by Sunday morning. Sorry once again for forgetting.

Edit: Sorry guys. I can't fit this into my life right now, not in the capacity and scope that I expect from myself for my own PnPs. I'm not even sure I can be involved enough to just play a PC at this point.

I see a few options here:

1. The game ends here.
2. We put the game on hold until I have the time to run it again. This could take months and even years, so it's not a very good option in my opinion.
3. One of you guys takes over. I'll send you my notes and all the details I have on the other mechanics, monsters and story details I've planned for this system and setting.
The new GM can do as they wish with the story and setting and take this in any direction you like. You can keep the game going as a pure RP if you like your characters and the setting and don't want to bother with the ruleset.

The ruleset is very powerful but also very high-maintenance. I'm a freak for numbers and rulesets and every post is almost like a big Engineering equation to solve, I appreciate that not everyone wants to deal with that sort of work.
:wink:
Shade

Post by Shade »

Cimeries wrote:2. We put the game on hold until I have the time to run it again. This could take months and even years, so it's not a very good option in my opinion.
It's not like I'm in a hurry or anything, so I don't mind if it takes months. It's better than just flat-out ending it here, at least.
Having someone else take over as GM when there's so few of us playing in the first place doesn't seem like a good option to me either, especially since this would still mean dropping Ginny from the party.

I guess I'll start watching this thread after all, so if you ever decide you'd like to continue, you can count me in. Just post here and I should notice withhin a day.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Yeah, an indefinite hiatus is okay with me. Just put out the call and I'll gladly be along, but until then, focus on what you gotta.
Shade

Post by Shade »

...actually, how do I subscribe to a topic? I must be blind; I can only see a bookmark option, and that doesn't notify me of new posts.