Aria of Ruin PnP - Talk Thread

This is a section where the forums games and forum rpg's reside.

Moderator: Developers

Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Re: Aria of Ruin PnP - Talk Thread

Post by Agent of Dread »

That implied caveat was something I had in mind with Last Ace too, yeah. I adopted War Banner's per-rest refresh for it, thinking it'd be a "once per day" kind of thing, but in the end I guess I could still take multiple uses if I really wanted with how it currently is.

And maximised damage is a really nice buffer to ensure that "super move"-type abilities hit as hard as you'd like, so it makes sense that it's a good fit on many things. :)

EDIT: Mm, to that end, how much AP if I bump the Stress penalty on Last Ace to 50 and have it strictly once per encounter, refreshes during rest?
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

Shade wrote:octagon, are you octagone? :<
Brought to you by Bad Memes Inc.*

*Original Character™. Do not steal or I'll take a bullet...
...train to your house and toss your salad.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Damn son.

Ok, so I have some minor bad news (for the PnP). I have some crazy work stuff right now (lot's of interviews, stuff all over the country and possibly a relocation soon) and next week I'm going on a trip to Bulgaria for a week... so expect there to be no posts until the 22nd of the month.

I'll do my best to at least finish one more combat turn before I fly on the 16th, and maybe I'll squeeze another in during the trip itself by doing one or two combat paragraphs per day whenever I find the time, and hopefully that will be enough for another post.

EDIT: Btw, I'd like to give you a bit of secret cannon. You can use it to draw some conclusions about certain things, but it's completely insignificant to the story. Read it if you'd like to know:
Spoiler: Don't Do It!
[spoiler]The Hollow Watcher you're currently fighting is the same one you killed on Day 01.
You probably already knew this deep down in your heart.
[/spoiler]

EDIT2: I think with this PnP I managed to combine the "hopelessness against the enemy" motifs from both Darkest Dungeon and Attack on Titan. Additively.
If this is too "hopeless" for your tastes, let me know. I personally dig it, but this is a game and is meant for the players first obviously.
:wink:
Shade

Post by Shade »

That's fine, thanks for letting us know. :)

I dunno about Darkest Dungeon. After having completed Stygian Mode with no deaths* and no resolve checks I can't really take it seriously anymore. :P
*(Well, prior to the final boss, anyway.)
...but yeah, you're conveying the feeling pretty well. Maybe a little too well. I don't think I've ever considered retreat this frequently before. Like, I'm sure you remember me seeing those four watchers earlier by themselves and just flat-out going "nope". I may end up trying to avoid combat altogether at this rate. xD

...also while I am curious about all the spoilers you're posting, I think it's probably better if I continue not to click them. I don't want my hand held and I don't want information I'm not yet supposed to have (although it'll be there for later if I ever change my mind, I suppose - maybe I'll go back and read it once we're much further in the story).
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

The one in Cime's most recent post is pretty inconsequential, essentially a fun fact that I don't imagine had a place in the narration in the end.

And that's a bummer, but life comes first as always. Maybe it'll give me time to cook up that artwork I've started on...
As for the tone I've really been enjoying it. Nica is a daredevil enough for me to throw her at all the fights I want to take on (read: all of them, probably against my better interest :P ), though I sometimes wondered if I hadn't been writing overreactions. The stuff you said there makes me feel like I'm in the right ballpark. :)
Shade

Post by Shade »

Oh hey, the forums are back in existence
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

They sure took their sweet time putting us back up, their data centre migration was supposedly over days ago. :?
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

And now I seem to be getting an error if I try to access the forum with /index.php in the url...
Shade

Post by Shade »

Good grief, did something break during the migration?

I get an error about 80% of the time I attempt to access any page withhin the forums at all (and it's always a different one - I've gotten all of #403, #404, #503, #504, and a couple related to php so far), and even if I don't get one the forums are so unbearably sluggish they might as well not be accessible (it takes minutes to load a single page).
Spoiler: Sample Error 1
Warning: Unknown: failed to open stream: Permission denied in Unknown on line 0

Fatal error: Unknown: Failed opening required '/home/project-web/egoboo/htdocs/phpBB3/index.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in Unknown on line 0
Spoiler: Sample Error 2
Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /var/www/apache-error-handler/error-page.inc on line 11

An error has been encountered in accessing this page.

1. Server: egoboo.sourceforge.net
2. URL path: /phpBB3/viewtopic.php
3. Error notes: Server unable to read htaccess file, denying access to be safe
4. Error type: 403
5. Request method: GET
6. Request query string: f=8&p=68367
7. Time: 2018-02-19 17:17:55 UTC (1519060675)

Reporting this problem: The problem you have encountered is with a project web site hosted by SourceForge.net. This issue should be reported to the SourceForge.net-hosted project (not to SourceForge.net).

If this is a severe or recurring/persistent problem, please do one of the following, and provide the error text (numbered 1 through 7, above):

Contact the project via their designated support resources.
Contact the project administrators of this project via email (see the upper right-hand corner of the Project Summary page for their usernames) at user-name@users.sourceforge.net

If you are a maintainer of this web content, please refer to the Site Documentation regarding web services for further assistance.

NOTE: As of 2008-10-23 directory index display has been disabled by default. This option may be re-enabled by the project by placing a file with the name ".htaccess" with this line:

Options +Indexes
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

hey! I'm sorry, life was a bit overwhelming lately, to the point where I couldn't figure out how to deal with this also-overwhelming in-game situation, and I just kept postponing it. Seems like I'm back just in time though :P

I dig the hopelessness - the tone is super cool and I appreciate all the "oh shit" moments. but the combination of super high stakes and my indecision is kind of impractical.
I expect to make a mistake most of the time, and when a slip-up might end the entire game, I'd rather wait for the rare occasions when I feel sure I'm not being an idiot.
Agent of Dread wrote:I'm on board with Void Armoury as well. By the way, because I couldn't quite make head or tail of it from the description, if she casts it on an ally does the damage from its special attack just get added to their next melee? We could potentially sync it up with Blue Lancer...
That was the intended functionality. The "special attack" part was meant to convey that you can hold the buff instead of always consuming it with the first attack you make. I realize the phrasing got pretty muddled when it comes down to it.

Edit: I'll be busy on weekdays in this week and the next one, so I probably won't be faster than the next GM post. even though I'm here, don't release your remote control over my character
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Ginny with the Plan B. :P
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Just stayin' alive.
Shade

Post by Shade »

That was... ...unexpected. After all this time we spent coming up with a plan, we didn't even need it? xD
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

War... war never changes.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I'm not 100% on whether Ameia actually has remaining Spellpoints, but if Octy doesn't manage to post and she does have one, shall we just have her Void Armory herself and attack?